• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Calls God of War PC a Success

yurinka

What free money? Do they get a percentage or do they get a lump sum? It's quite possible that this was all tied in to the movie deal rights which might make it a minefield.
Will probably depend on how the rights are laid out in their contract. There is a good chance it would be almost impossible to release on PC.
The movies deal is totally unrelated to this. Games and movies have separate rights.
And in games Marvel signed Miles Morales, Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. They are super happy with Sony and want more from them.
PC port would mean free money at zero risk for them, 0% they would reject it and absolutely nothing avoids them signing a deal for the PC port.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

and that is somehow a reason to bitch and whine about others having access to the content of "their" platform?

Well its a new thing for platforms to give their exclusives to other platforms. People will dispute if its worth for the brand they have followed for decades to go multi platform.
Some might think it has a positive or negative effect on their preferred console/platform, so they will either praise or complain about it

Dream-Knife

Banned
It´s like you don`t understand that PC != steam.....
Steam user numbers don`t matter at all. It´s used for gaming metrics because it`s currently the biggest vendor there, but alternatives are literally only a click away,....
To make it simple: Steam is not the PC platform holder and never can be because PC is an open platform.
MS already has their own Steam alternative, and Sony will most likely follow suit in the future.
I'll never buy non-Steam games on PC.
That is not the reason. Its software sales. You need to have huge amount of games to sell.

New stores struggles against steam, because of the library. You need a big chunk of library, and that takes time.
And we don't want to install another thing to play games.
What the fuck is this minimal effort crap? The game runs great on PC is largely free of bugs…what more do you fucking want? I’ve put over 22 hours into the game and have not had a single crash, bug or performance issue. The only thing I don’t like is the forced depth of field.

Your post is an example of bitching just to bitch.
Performance isn't what it should be for the hardware.
Again, where the fuck do you come across with "minimal resources spent on the port?"

What was the PC version of God of War missing that would made it better? I just went through the entire game. It ran flawlessly, was free of bugs, did not experience one single crash. Got around 90-120 fps with DLSS turned on. Couldn't have asked for a better experience aside from being able to disable depth of field.

I'll ask again, what would have been better if they had "tried" like you keep saying....
With DLSS.
It doesn't work that way. You make a claim that is not being reflected in the real world experience then you expect me to research your claim. It doesn't work that way.

Bottom line:
God of War on PC is outstanding and everyone should play it if you don't have a PS5 and even then you should play it.

Digital Foundry just took a giant dump on your claim calling the PC port SUPERB.

I win. You lose. Leave the internet and spare yourself the embarassment.

Look at the next section. A 1060 should be giving you PS4 Pro levels of performance.

A 3070 is getting 60 fps at 4k original settings. I assume a PS5 port would do the same. A 3070 should smoke a PS5.

Neofire

What does that even mean?

A Bloodborne PC port would sell more than any other Sony exclusive ported to PC.
Well you didn't specify that in your initial comment and it's would not be a hard task considering how many people have capable PCs to run it.

I'm interested in giving God of War a go but not at $75 for one play through. I'll wait for a sale before checking out a flagship playtation title on PC.

Last edited:
A "success"?
Then why aren't they releasing sales numbers? I can't help but wonder what they are trying to hide here...

Probably pales to the numbers on the console. But that’s to be expected.

Edit: Looking at the article it’s estimated that they sold over a million units. Not bad but nowhere near the PS4s numbers.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s pretty sad to see how far the PlayStation brand has fallen 😔
giphy.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'll never buy non-Steam games on PC.

And we don't want to install another thing to play games.

Performance isn't what it should be for the hardware.
Says who? It has long been known that games coded to the metal on a console are not equivalent on the PC. Especially a game that is 100% built to one system.

C'mon man.

Ev1L AuRoN

Sony, all you need to do is spend a little to expand PSN to PC. Sell your games directly to us PC folks. Cut off the middle men and keep all the profit for yourself ;) . You can even do day and date. No need to be shackled by chip shortages and hardware sales. Hardware don't make you profit anyway.
Please don't. The last thing I need is another launcher on my PC. Keep launching your games on Steam, and I'll keep buying them...

Goalus

Probably pales to the numbers on the console. But that’s to be expected.

Edit: Looking at the article it’s estimated that they sold over a million units. Not bad but nowhere near the PS4s numbers.
I'm pretty sure it is successful, the Steam review count confirms that. My post was meant as a caricature of the typical responses when an Xbox game is reported to be performing well.

Tschumi

Indeed, God of War PC was the best-selling game on Steam for several weeks after its early January debut. Steam Spy estimates put sales between one and two million units, and the user review score is also 'Overwhelmingly Positive' thanks to a 97% approval. That's more than warranted, as it's easily the best PC port made by Sony yet. Later in the earnings call, Totoki explained that the $3.6 billion deal to acquire Bungie is structured specifically to encourage employee retention at the company.
Surely that's two paragraphs.

I'm pretty sure it is successful, the Steam review count confirms that. My post was meant as a caricature of the typical responses when an Xbox game is reported to be performing well.

So you were just console warring then?

Xbox has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:
So they're happy that releasing it on PC has helped GOW go from 20mil to 21mil.
Excited Wesley Snipes GIF by BBQ Films

Success was a given, but I'm sure it will do more over time.
Though they probably would have sold more releasing a Native PS5 Remaster 🤔

What would a remaster have involved in this case? The game was already a 4K game. It literally just came out in 2018.

It has the framerate and resolution advantages you would expect.

Source

There's also talk about the Bungie deal but the fact that Sony thinks it was a success is great news. Seeing more titles like Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima in my mind would have similar success.

I'm wondering will they reduce the cap between launching on console and pc after this. I don't think day one will happen anytime soon but maybe months after not years
What are the odds that Bloodborne will get a full on remaster treatment? At the very least some kind of PS5 patch.

Neofire

How is the user base getting pissed on exactly?
You must be trolling, I never said Sony was user base was getting"pissed on"(not yet at least) but they do what you described in your initial comment they will be.

Because you basically said they should just ditch hardware and go straight to selling directly on PC with their games.

You must be trolling, I never said Sony was user base was getting"pissed on"(not yet at least) but they do what you described in your initial comment they will be.

Because you basically said they should just ditch hardware and go straight to selling directly on PC with their games.

Ok to address the semantical issue
How will the userbase be pissed on?

Sony releasing their games on PC doesn't invalidate your purchase of a PlayStation device.
Never has that been true given how PC component shortages have made even low-end PC hardware comically unaffordable to the masses.

Nobody with half a brain will cry over a PS IP being simultaneously released on PC when you need to pay $300+ to get a GPU that performs no better than an RX580 (A GPU which is significantly worse than the PS5's). You want console performance, you need a 3060 minimum and that'll set you back $650.

When consoles are by far the best value proposition in the gaming market, nobody will care.

SeraphJan

I suspect It already sold around 3 million on PC, that's a pretty conservative number consider it already past at least 2 million at the start of the month

Wasker79

Neo Member
Yeah Sony, Gow on PC it's a success, but I still don't get why they don't remaster the old game trilogy too...that would be a better success!
I recently played again gow 3 with Ray tracing effects thanks to PS3 emulator, and it was fun like in the first time I played it back in school time

ACESHIGH

Banned
Top sellers on steam for the past week:

1 - Elden Ring
2 Elden Ring
3 - Elden Ring deluxe edition

I wonder if there's a Sony game that could scratch the same itch... hopefully there's an exec with more than 2 braincells on SIE.

Top Bottom