• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series x could cost $400

The one X has been discontinued. so they

The one X has been discontinued. Retailers can't get new stock. So they are only going to be selling two SKU's going forward.

1. Lockhart at $199
2. Series X at $399

Lockhart replaces the One X

I think this is just likely to happen:

1. Lockhart free
2. Series X at $99

DrAspirino

Banned
400, sign me up.

Its not going to happen, The tech in that box is expensive.

imagine the lose Mircosoft would have to sustain in order to hit that price point.
And as for oh Microsoft having billions in the bank, they have billions in the bank because of careful planning not rash decision making, with the pandemic ruining the world economy, stocks in freefall, Microsoft need to conserative and SMART in their approach.
I think Microsoft can indeed lower the price of the Series X and Series S by actually having two tiers. What you forget is that not all APU waffers are equal and not all have all the CUs and transistors working at max., so, by having the "Series S", they could use the "scraps" APUs from the waffers, change the microcode and call it a day. That way they don't have to design 2 different APUs and use up to the last milimeter of those APUs waffers.

Having said that, I seriously doubt it will be below $499. If anything, I think Series S will be cheaper.

This is how you win next gen Price lower than your competitor wile being stronger a battle of attrition MS will take a big lost on hardware profit but will win over the casual gamers They can make it up in Service and Software.

Jtibh

Banned
I think Microsoft should’ve repackaged the One X an keep it alive. Now Kinect needed to go that shit was trash and they started to push it around like 2010 which I believe hurt the 360 in the end. Microsoft did support the 360 from 05 till like 2010. Now the Xbox one I can see why they stopped trying, they didn’t have anything and about time they started buying studios those games wouldn’t be ready till next gen. I’m going Xbox first this time unless Sony shows Legends of dragoon, or gravity rush 3. I’m not a fan of their movie games unfortunately.
Most of my favorites this gen were none movie games .
Bloodborne nioh 1 and 2 , daysgone horizon spiderman no i do not consider them movie games these are long 40 hour plus openworld ones astrobot etc.
Didnt like uncharted 4 boring shit god of war was good again cant consider movie game.

Sony still supports the ps4 with exclusive games like trash of us 2 yeah but ghost looks dope.
Loved death stranding not movie but more of a hiking simulator and i was ok with it.
Nioh 2 recently etc .

We see microsoft switching too early every gen to new hardware when games start to dry out.

Microsoft has to ditch these old consoles there is no use for them. They failed run their course.
Microsoft has to focus on xbox series x and lockhard and treat it as a new beginning.
They have the money they have the hardware and they have the studios.
Make this count and dont fuck it up.
They have the chance to be as good if not better then in the 360 era.

Again ditch these old platforms and start fresh.
I hope their first party showing will floor me cuz this last one was not what i was hoping for .
And for the love of god kill this outdated franchise of assasins creed. Dont use it as your highlight of the show its GARBAGE.
I dont know about others but this valhala will be a timeline i cant relate to in any way .
Just stop with it.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
And thats why i wait with xbox and get the ps5 first.

Sony is good at supporting its plattform till the end where as microsoft always drops it halfways.
Kinect got discontinued xbox one now xbox s and if lockhart takes over xbox one x then that was their shortest lifecycle for a console.
How old is one x like 3 years old?
I'm hearing the opposite complaint they need to drop the old consoles so the series x will have exclusives. People should make up their minds. The one x and ps4 pro will get the same years of first party support.

Jtibh

Banned
I'm hearing the opposite complaint they need to drop the old consoles so the series x will have exclusives. People should make up their minds. The one x and ps4 pro will get the same years of first party support.
Not true .
Ps5 first parties wont release on ps4 or ps4 pro.
Inly third parties.

And yes drop these old fucks and start the new gen fresh.

Vawn

Banned
Yes, true. Certainly is the case and could continue to be the case.

But the fact remains that if MS decided to undercut Sony it could do so with ease.

I suppose it depends how much importance they place on regaining market share.

Yeah, but people have been using that as a reason why Xbox would bury PlayStation and Nintendo for 20 years now. Microsoft's focus has always been on other "more important" things. I don't see that changing.

Allandor

Well, $399 could happen, but I doubt.
It could because microsoft wants also to sell services. E.g. Xbox Gamepass Ultimate. This is not a bad subscription service for them or the consumer. Once a consumer subscribed, he/she won't quit (in most cases) while having the hardware. That way the can make money even if they sell the hardware at loss.
But still, that would be a big hit. Well, they could just do it for the launch window (a few months) before the price goes to normal. This way they could make a good start but when the time-window is over sales would be hit hard.

Btw, microsoft had no problem selling in the US or UK. It had always a problems selling consoles in the rest of the world.
Well I can only speak for germany, they don't do much here to change their image or promote their products. MS Germany almost doesn't do anything to promote their products here. It always seem that they just hope that some sort of hype is brought from abroad into the country.

Radical_3d

I’ve been a big defender of Pachter but taking a loss of 1.000 million dollars because they can make up for some of that in the services reads like sci-fi. Would be interesting times if true. The meltdowns in GAF. The memes on twitter. The burning offices in Tokio.

Maybe since Pachter is not a tech guy he’s not realising that 500€/$ for both PS5 and Xbox are already subsidized.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Not true .
Ps5 first parties wont release on ps4 or ps4 pro.
Inly third parties.

And yes drop these old fucks and start the new gen fresh.

Pro released in 2016 and will get first party support until 2020. One X released in 2017 and will get first party support until 2021. Four years each. The same people that pretend to be annoyed by the continued support are the very same people that would cry foul if Microsoft just cut first party support instantly like it happened when 360 launched. Hypocrites.

Jtibh

Banned
Pro released in 2016 and will get first party support until 2020. One X released in 2017 and will get first party support until 2021. Four years each. The same people that pretend to be annoyed by the continued support are the very same people that would cry foul if Microsoft just cut first party support instantly like it happened when 360 launched. Hypocrites.
I know of no new first party game for ps4 past ghost. That is the final first party game this year
Anything past that is ps5 only. First party game that is.
Microsoft will release all first party titles for the next 2 years on old systems.

Both should only release all upcomming titles on new hardware only.

I know of no new first party game for ps4 past ghost. That is the final first party game this year
Anything past that is ps5 only. First party game that is.
Microsoft will release all first party titles for the next 2 years on old systems.

Both should only release all upcomming titles on new hardware only.
That anti consumer though if MS want to support their older console why not and it only for their 1st party games they are not forcing 3rd party devs to do it.

Jtibh

Banned
That anti consumer though if MS want to support their older console why not and it only for their 1st party games they are not forcing 3rd party devs to do it.
Microsoft has a bit of an identity crisis.
Its wants to be new fresh powerful wants to show what next gen is capable off though wants those games to run accross all platforms while it already is discontinuing xbox one and probably s and by the looks of it will replace xbox one x with scarlet.

Hence xcloud where the old devices may be able to play those games through streaming.

Its all me guessing but a lot points into that direction.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It's interesting to think about. I just can't tell if throwing away a billion dollars is worth that first to 10 million sales goal. Even at $100 more, the PS5 would still be selling. So what is the best case scenario there, 10M vs 6M? And is it worth a billion dollars to make that happen? I really don't know.
Even if it's $100 more I don't see PS5 selling THAT much less. The PS4 has sold over twice as much as XO. That means BC for PS4 means over twice as much as BC for XO. Plus Xbox has never competed in Europe or Japan. The US and UK sales would have to be ridiculously lopsided.

12Dannu123

Developers are likely to flock more to the next-gen console with the largest install base. I feel like Microsoft recognizes that this is a chicken and egg problem now (they didn't with the Xbox One and thought their domination with the 360 would just magically carry over). If they dump a billion dollars into "winning" the first year of the console war, they probably realize that will translate into better third party support, potential third party exclusives (or Game Pass exclusives), and more people buying Xbox in the future because "my friends are all playing on Xbox".

They're going to flock to the platform with the biggest user base. Next generation will likely see Agnostic Platforms being the theme, not Consoles. The biggest being Cloud gaming in the next generation throws a spanner in the market. In that market Microsoft naturally has a much bigger advantage since they have partnerships with device OEMs etc.

Last edited:
Even if it's $100 more I don't see PS5 selling THAT much less. The PS4 has sold over twice as much as XO. That means BC for PS4 means over twice as much as BC for XO. Plus Xbox has never competed in Europe or Japan. The US and UK sales would have to be ridiculously lopsided.
Was that not how 360 vs PS3 happen Xbox dominate in US and UK to lead most of that gen and PS3 catch up in other territory once the gen was basically over anything can happen a winner is not guarantee it happen from PS2 to PS3 and it Happen from 360 to XBone and it could very well happen with Series X and Series S vs PS5.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Was that not how 360 vs PS3 happen Xbox dominate in US and UK to lead most of that gen and PS3 catch up in other territory once the gen was basically over anything can happen a winner is not guarantee it happen from PS2 to PS3 and it Happen from 360 to XBone and it could very well happen with Series X and Series S vs PS5.
That also had PS3 come a year later at $200 more and it's software wasn't nearly where it is today. PS3 outpaced 360 the whole gen and overtook it

All that being said I wasnt saying Xbox couldn't sell more I was saying it won't be almost 2:1 in xboxs favor

Radical_3d

That’ll be delightful. I need another generation of Sony being the underdog. Maybe they’ll back UK development again and bring back MotorStorm.

Microsoft has a bit of an identity crisis.
Its wants to be new fresh powerful wants to show what next gen is capable off though wants those games to run accross all platforms while it already is discontinuing xbox one and probably s and by the looks of it will replace xbox one x with scarlet.

Hence xcloud where the old devices may be able to play those games through streaming.

Its all me guessing but a lot points into that direction.
I don't know i don't agree MS has been pretty clear they want you in their eco system so that means PC Xbox Gamepass or Xcloud they don't care as long as they have you in their service they have been pretty clear in saying that with their play anywhere and putting all firsty party games on PC and Gamepass day 1.

This dude has a nearly perfect record of incorrect predictions. I was musing to myself about, “whatever happened” to him. I see he still has has “unique” magic.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah that's why I find it so hard to believe it would even be worth it. It's a huge cost to MS for a benefit that may not be much of a benefit anyways. There are probably better things to spend a billion dollars on.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Even Microsoft knows they won't win because of the east and mainland EU. They are just trying to close the gap and be profitable enough to justify existing to the CEO. There is no one who can seriously think this generation won't turn out like the rest Sony winning. The debate really is not if Microsoft can win but if they can go from being outsold 2to1 to something better like 1.75 or 1.5 to 1. Anything more is not realistic.

That also had PS3 come a year later at $200 more and it's software wasn't nearly where it is today. PS3 outpaced 360 the whole gen and overtook it

All that being said I wasnt saying Xbox couldn't sell more I was saying it won't be almost 2:1 in xboxs favor
It only over took the 360 by late 2012-2013 when that gen of gaming was basically over people were already waiting on the Xbox One and PS4 to launch not much of a win when 360 was the leading platform for 3rd party games all of that gen.

Last edited:
Probably more than $100 seeing how much power they say it has. I always thought it would be at least $500

I think this is a common way of looking at it but maybe not accurate? That's to say, just because it's more powerful doesn't mean it has to have a super-pricey BOM.

The PS5 has a fancier controller, a beefier SSD I/O complex and probably a more expensive cooling system. In all actuality I can see it having a pricier BOM over XSX for those three reasons, so I see it more likely that system will MSRP for $499, maybe $449 if they can justify it. But as you can see, it having a potentially higher BOM isn't down to having more TF/power.

Conversely the PS4 came in cheaper than XBO despite being more powerful, because of how they chose to budget the BOM. So we already have a perfect example where being more powerful doesn't always translate to having the higher BOM (nor the higher MSRP). We can arguably trace this back to the N64, even; it certainly had more "power" in areas like polygon generation, some more advanced 3D features etc. than PS1 or Saturn, but was able to come out at an MSRP of $250 while still getting Nintendo a small profit on each console sold.

Once again, a case where being more powerful (in that system's case regarding bits, as the marketing point) didn't translate to it being more expensive in BOM or MSRP. Now the N64 example is a bit different from PS4 because PS4 and XBO used the same architecture (same way PS5 and XSX will be using), but it serves a point.

I seriously doubt MS will launch Series X at pretty much the same price as the existing One X with Series X being infinitely more capable machine.

IIRC didn't they put the One X on sale for $299 a while ago? Dunno if it still is that price now, but they definitely had it at $299 for a little while.

Either way we can kiss One X and One S goodbye after this holiday, in terms of new shipments or manufacture.

halo rumour is false and theirs no way the bom is 460

Well, you're free to believe what you want. And I'm free to disagree with that belief, because I have no idea what the Halo rumor was and we've got no idea what their pricing arrangement was with AMD, Micron, Seagate and any other partners providing hardware and production services for the console.

Either way we'll find out relatively soon somewhere in the middle of summer.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't see a reason for them to lose that much money this time around, same for Sony.

If they sold 10 million units, taking a $100 loss per system, it's 1 billion right there. Plus all the other costs, like marketing and so on. Not to mention the increasing pressure to diminish those losses, as more systems are sold in the red.

Why??

I could understand back in the days of 360 and PS3. Because they were fighting for the living room, and the financial promise went far beyond gaming. There is no reason for them to do that anymore, at least not to the same extent. Makes no sense to me. I'd be very surprised if they chose to do this now.

Last edited:
Even Microsoft knows they won't win because of the east and mainland EU. They are just trying to close the gap and be profitable enough to justify existing to the CEO. There is no one who can seriously think this generation won't turn out like the rest Sony winning. The debate really is not if Microsoft can win but if they can go from being outsold 2to1 to something better like 1.75 or 1.5 to 1. Anything more is not realistic.
Didn't the PS2 out sold the Original Xbox like 5 to 1 but then 360 vs PS3 happen again anything can happen nothing is set in stone yet do not think just cause a system sold well in one gen than it successor will automatically do the same in a new next gen that not a guarantee look at Wii to Wii U to get your answer.

teezzy

Banned
I've been thinking $400 would be the killer price for it for a while now. $500 seems more likely, but if MS dropped it to $400 they could eat that cost with Game Pass subs within months.

Radical_3d

Didn't the PS2 out sold the Original Xbox like 5 to 1 but then 360 vs PS3 happen again anything can happen nothing is set in stone yet do not think just cause a system sold well in one gen than it successor will automatically do the same in a new next gen that not a guarantee look at Wii to Wii U to get your answer.
PS2 vs Xbox was a ten+ year cicle vs a 3 year life cicle when they were already announcing that they have next gen ready for the following year, plus the fiasco of the price (at least in Europe). So it was the perfect storm in favor of Sony.

The next generation was the perfect storm in favor of MST as all we know and it’s never ever repeating again. This generation Sony didn’t have all the advantages the PS2 had and even if its 100€ pricier the PS5 won’t be anywhere near where the PS3 was (ffs they lost almost all mayor JRPGs like Eternal Sonata, which were temporal or absolute exclusives for the 360).

fallingdove

I've been thinking $400 would be the killer price for it for a while now. $500 seems more likely, but if MS dropped it to $400 they could eat that cost with Game Pass subs within months.
Game Pass isn’t pure profit. I still doubt that it is profitable at all. There is no way that Microsoft looks to make up a loss on every console sold with what would take years of uninterrupted GamePass subscription.

teezzy

Banned
Game Pass isn’t pure profit. I still doubt that it is profitable at all. There is no way that Microsoft looks to make up a loss on every console sold with what would take years of uninterrupted GamePass subscription.

True, but the more consoles they sell - the more likely they are to get new subs on board. They need to undercut Sony to have a real dog in this fight. Especially considering their delay in game development due to COVID 19.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I agree the regular gamepass subscription probably is not to profitable 2-3 dollars a month. Ultimate is a good money maker since gold has no real cost to them and is a nearly all profit. So I can see them eating 100 dollars for gamepass only to match Sony to avoid last generations price disparity to start and momentum killer.

Jtibh

Banned
I don't know i don't agree MS has been pretty clear they want you in their eco system so that means PC Xbox Gamepass or Xcloud they don't care as long as they have you in their service they have been pretty clear in saying that with their play anywhere and putting all firsty party games on PC and Gamepass day 1.
Yes thats kinda what i say.
It means there is no need to support the old systems as in release games on them digitaly or physically.
Therefor they could just move to full next gen developments and still offer the game on the old systems via xcloud as stream only.
But they make it sound like they want to support the old systems by making all games to run on those specs.

Last edited:
People who talk about how much money Microsoft has forget how little the company of Microsoft as a whole cares about Xbox.

Sony is MUCH more invested in PlayStation, as it's a larger portion of its business. Nintendo basically IS video games and nothing else. Xbox has never been more than a minor subdivision for Microsoft.
No argument regarding Sony having a greater investment in PS than MS does in Xbox, and definitely true for previous Xbox’s, but I think people underestimate or undersell how much more MS cares about Xbox now than the current or previous gen. While it still had its own modicum of success, getting handedly beaten by PS across the board was the perfect catalyst for MS to cut off Xbox altogether like a wounded limb and yet we know they’ve invested more than ever in the division.

I highly doubt they’ll price it at $400, mind you, I reckon PS5 and XBSX are all but guaranteed to be equal in price. But I think the likelihood of such a price, however small, is higher than people think.

That whole "play wherever you want" is a con. Why would Spencer talk about winning next gen? What they actually mean is play the games you bought on Xbox everywhere, because xCloud. They have already said there won't be future Switch games. It's all Xbox/ Windows 10.
How is it a con? They obviously meant “play where you want” to be in relation to MS devices. It’s not like they came out and guaranteed you could play GP on the next PS or something.

To the topic at hand, I’d love to see such a move but I’m highly sceptical it would occur, the safest bet seems to be XBSX and PS5 being an equal price. What I find highly strange in this whole situation is that pricing this low would put a massive question mark on Lockhart which is already a massive question mark to begin with. How is it we’re possibly under a month from a reveal of said device and we’ve had next to no comfortable leaks about it?

PS2 vs Xbox was a ten+ year cicle vs a 3 year life cicle when they were already announcing that they have next gen ready for the following year, plus the fiasco of the price (at least in Europe). So it was the perfect storm in favor of Sony.

The next generation was the perfect storm in favor of MST as all we know and it’s never ever repeating again. This generation Sony didn’t have all the advantages the PS2 had and even if its 100€ pricier the PS5 won’t be anywhere near where the PS3 was (ffs they lost almost all mayor JRPGs like Eternal Sonata, which were temporal or absolute exclusives for the 360).
"never ever repeating again" Is that so never say never unless your from the future. Just look at Nintendo and the Wii over 100 million Wii sold but than it successor the Wii U only did about 14 million all it takes is 1 big misstep and the fans will turn on you same thing happen with Xbox One launch they lost over 30 million gamers from the 360 to the Xbox One just like Sony lost over 70 Million from the PS2 to PS3 and Nintendo lost over 80 million from Wii to Wii u.

It means there is no need to support the old systems as in release games on them digitaly or physically.
Therefor they could just move to full next gen developments and still offer the game on the old systems via xcloud as stream only.
But they make it sound like they want to support the old systems by making all games to run on those specs.
And that not a bad thing they will support it for like 2 years there are still people who just bought the One X from like last year so supporting it for a little longer is super consumer friendly why is that a bad thing it not like it effect any 3rd party games the people mad over it is probably Playstation people who does not play on a Xbox anyway.

Last edited:
Well then Sony could do the same with PS+ and PSNow subs. They both have subs
But Sony does not have their own big monster cloud infrastructure like Microsoft MS cloud infrastructure is top 3 along with Google and Amazon Sony will be using Microsoft Azure for it future cloud and online services did you forget that they made a deal back in 2019 and before that Sony was using Amazon cloud infrastructure to host PS Now to summarize it Sony does not have their own big cloud infrastructure they are renting it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is probably what we'll see, tbh. Halo and Forza and the smaller games they have coming (it appears they've had small teams at every studio working on side projects) will probably be the end of Xbox One support. Hellblade II was stated as being in early development, so probably at least a year out and likely next-gen only. Everything bigger budget going forward I can see being next-gen only.

Top Bottom