• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series x could cost $400

Bullet Club

$400 Australian would be good.

KqPLMm9.gif

oldergamer

I had a feeling this could happen. I think MS was way better with cost to performance this coming gen. If you are smart about what you are doing, and put the custom work into the right area, then you can do more with less cost. think sony sunk a lot into their custom audio chip + and require a custom cooling system that will raise the cost of the PS5. This isn't the first time we saw sony release a console with less GPU power for a higher cost (aka PS3), but the proof will be in teh pudding.

I can't wait to see the price announced.

THE:MILKMAN

I mean Microsoft have said multiple times that they are agile on price and have had a price target in mind for a long time.

One consistent theme has been the APU size to price ratio! Xbox One 363mm2/$499, One X 367mm2/$499, XSX 360mm2 $499?

All I know is the pricing in the UK is going to be brutal given the $/£ exchange rates today so if these consoles come in at $499 then £499 is highly likely and far above the dark days of the PS3's £425.

longdi

Banned
Nay it will be $499, always was the target.
The fear for MS is, what happens if PS5 comes in at $399. As things stand, Sony cannot hit that sweet spot, putting the momentum right back into MS hands. :messenger_bicep:

The fear for MS is, what happens if PS5 comes in at $399. As things stand, Sony cannot hit that sweet spot, putting the momentum right back into MS hands. :messenger_bicep:

Yeah it is clear that both have had, and will most likely meet, their target prices no matter what. While Pachter is just an entertainer having a little fun/troll!

Saying that even the likes of Bloomberg have some interesting cost breakdowns.

Jayjayhd34

Well that's not really true. Plus, I don't think his job is predicting videogame news.

I'm just pointing out hes been in same job for very long time so he's not stupid. so its weird when ever he makes prediction (ones I've seen) they've all been wrong, even a broken clock is right twice day, very strange.

Last edited:
I absolutely think they were always prepared to take the loss and sell at $400 if Sony also did so. So maybe they just said fuck it, we’ll take the loss regardless of how much the PS5 costs.

geordiemp

Relative pricing makes no difference, pricing is fluid.

If one console is 50 bucks more than the other, they will throw in a free game or 2, or some service / pass or other item of perceived value.

So pricing is fluid, the initial start price makes no difference and can be changed on a whim at any time by both,

Last edited:

Three

This is MS. They will charge the highest price they can. The initial xbox fans would buy it. Then come the time when they have dried up they would do the "bargain sale" to boost sales again. There is absolutely no point in subsidizing the initial price because you will be supply constrained and be selling to your fanboys who would pay any price. Just look at the Xbox one launch.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
It will never be 400, never. This isn't something you should even consider as a possibility.

Honestly and this is coming from an industry analyst.

This is MS. They will charge the highest price they can. The initial xbox fans would buy it. Then come the time when they have dried up they would do the "bargain sale" to boost sales again. There is absolutely no point in subsidizing the initial price because you will be supply constrained and be selling to your fanboys who would pay any price. Just look at the Xbox one launch.

Both have done this the last 2 gens. PS3 came in at $599/£425 and 12 and 6 months later went to $399/£299. Xbox One came in at $499/£430 and 6 months later went $399/£349.

Most interesting was Xbox 360. The premium came in at the bargain/aggressive price of £280 for the premium and beat the PS3 handily in release time and price. Could Microsoft go aggressive again with XSX?

sircaw

Banned
400, sign me up.

Its not going to happen, The tech in that box is expensive.

imagine the lose Mircosoft would have to sustain in order to hit that price point.
And as for oh Microsoft having billions in the bank, they have billions in the bank because of careful planning not rash decision making, with the pandemic ruining the world economy, stocks in freefall, Microsoft need to conserative and SMART in their approach.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It will be 399.

It's so much about services and micro transactions these days. Getting the box into homes at a small loss is a good idea, now more than ever.

Three

Both have done this the last 2 gens. PS3 came in at $599/£425 and 12 and 6 months later went to $399/£299. Xbox One came in at $499/£430 and 6 months later went $399/£349.

Most interesting was Xbox 360. The premium came in at the bargain/aggressive price of £280 for the premium and beat the PS3 handily in release time and price. Could Microsoft go aggressive again with XSX?
The PS3 was interesting because even at that high price it was still subsidized. Non-subsidised it would have been something like $800.
The 360 was low priced not because of a subsidy but because it was a games machine first and foremost with none of the price increasing extras. No wifi, no hd-dvd, no Bluetooth, no storage or little storage bundled. The initial 360 didn't even have HDMI. When the PS3 launched a year later MS had a good price advantage even without a heavy subsidy.

oldergamer

Still wouldn't sell there
if it launched with enough jrpg's it would. Xbox 360 ended up with 1 million units sold in japan ( which isn't much considering how long it was there) but after launch they were pushing american games after getting off to a really good start with jrpg's. THings could be different this time around with some of the feature or if they actually maintain japanese devlopment support.

I wish they would buy sega or capcom to gain a foothold in japan.

nosseman

Xbox One X did not ship with Kinect.

Missed that.

The Xbox One X was the "Pro" model released in the middle of the generation.

I still believe $400 is possible and that the Xbox Series X is the "base" model - perhaps the only one being sold in the end of the year since we heard so little of Lockhart.

The PS3 was interesting because even at that high price it was still subsidized. Non-subsidised it would have been something like $800.
The 360 was low priced not because of a subsidy but because it was a games machine first and foremost with none of the price increasing extras. No wifi, no hd-dvd, no Bluetooth, no storage or little storage bundled. The initial 360 didn't even have HDMI. When the PS3 launched a year later MS had a good price advantage even without a heavy subsidy.

Yeah the 360 was just a simple, clean games machine with no fluff...very similar to how PS4 turned out!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I still believe $400 is possible and that the Xbox Series X is the "base" model - perhaps the only one being sold in the end of the year since we heard so little of Lockhart.

No way. Its just not worth it to MS to subsidize the hardware on top of all their other promotions, such as for XBL and GamePass.

The reality is that a GamePass subscriber on SX is no more valuable than a subscriber with a One S. Subs are hardware independent, as will be services like XCloud... so why eat heavy losses on hardware and in so doing ruin any chance of the hardware side turning a profit.

Bottom line is that if you start out taking a $100 hit per unit, its going to take a long time for the economics of production to improve to the state that you are breaking even, also, RRP's rarely if ever rise so its a commitment for the entire life of the hardware.

Top Bottom