• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate - 1TB Game Drive for Xbox Series X and Series S Is $220 / 270€

Lethal01

Notice how Microsoft has been all about advertising sustained speeds and Sony oddly hasn't mentioned the word once? It's no doubt because their drive performs nearer to a standard M.2, very high peaks but throttles under heavy load and heat accumulation.

There literally could not be more doubt about this speculations based on them no saying sustained.

Md Ray

We’ve seen the back.

TV7neLk_d.webp
The slot won't be in the back like Series X | S. PS5's NVMe Gen 4 SSD expansion bay will be concealed to not be obvious kinda like the PS4/Pro's internal HDD bays are. You might have to remove the top panel to access it.

Something like this:
SNmH3Gr.png

8GVRCkL.png

uOxkv08.png

But it will directly attach to PS5's mobo like this:
Dell-XPS-13-9350-Samsung-256GB-NVMe-SSD-1024x614.jpg

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I guess games won't be loading as quite quick when you have to transfer them first. XD

Calverz

Don't be ridiculous.
This is a 1TB proprietary drive
2.4gb/s SSD for $220.

You can get a 1TB PC nvme drive
7.0gb/s SSD for $229

This xbox proprietary drive price is shit as everyone who was sane expected.
You cant make this comparison. Its plug and play. And that ease of use comes at a cost. It was either this solution or the sony approach which wont be easy for casuals to do. Unless they just go on youtube.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Does Seagate has forever and ever SSD exlusivity? However I am not that bother, I am going to employ cold-storage.

replicant-

People moaning about new tech being pricey. Gaming is an expensive hobby. If you can't afford it then save, or wait for prices to drop.

New tech costs $£$£$£

Calverz

What assumption?
You can get a PC equivalent for ~$100:
Same speed SSD
The actual spec is crap, so the case cost $100?
Jesus. Right, firstly yes you have the case cost. Secondly, you have the market its aimed at. Console players. Traditionally console players dont want hassle. They want ease of use. And have shown to be happy to spend more for this experience.
Have you installed an nvme ssd on pc? Its not difficult if you know what ur doing. But you cant replicate that experience onto console players. So microsoft went down the path to make this as easy as possible. The fact its literally plug n play like memory cards on consoles of yore comes at an extra cost. Not to mention the ssd speeds these cards need to hit whilst also allowing it to come out and go into other xboxes. I saw someone earlier saying that ps5 will require to plug the new ssd to motherbord like pc. Absolutely no chance thats happening. It will be taking a panel off and sliding it in and out. Console manufactures dont want customers fucking about with motherboards.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You cant make this comparison. Its plug and play. And that ease of use comes at a cost. It was either this solution or the sony approach which wont be easy for casuals to do. Unless they just go on youtube.

Taking advantage of casuals apology 101 ;). I sure hope you were not one chastising Sony for PS Vita cards... I am sure Sony had its list of excuses too ;).

Dibils2k

i mean my plan for first year or two (on xbox anyway, not sure if PS5 does this) is just to use my current 1TB external hard drive to store games i am not actively playing, copying them over to the SSD if i need

Calverz

Taking advantage of casuals apology 101 ;). I sure hope you were not one chastising Sony for PS Vita cards... I am sure Sony had its list of excuses too ;).
This is a different scenario to vita and shows ur ignorance to technology for even making that comparison.

Three

Jesus. Right, firstly yes you have the case cost. Secondly, you have the market its aimed at. Console players. Traditionally console players dont want hassle. They want ease of use. And have shown to be happy to spend more for this experience.
Have you installed an nvme ssd on pc? Its not difficult if you know what ur doing. But you cant replicate that experience onto console players. So microsoft went down the path to make this as easy as possible. The fact its literally plug n play like memory cards on consoles of yore comes at an extra cost. Not to mention the ssd speeds these cards need to hit whilst also allowing it to come out and go into other xboxes. I saw someone earlier saying that ps5 will require to plug the new ssd to motherbord like pc. Absolutely no chance thats happening. It will be taking a panel off and sliding it in and out. Console manufactures dont want customers fucking about with motherboards.
Ok but somebody made a claim that it's the same price as the PC equivalent, not "I'm too casual to change a PC nvme drive and therefore I'm happy to pay $100 more over the PC equivalent."

Last edited:

acm2000

Gen3 (x4) is equivalent to a Gen4 (x2). You get equivalent speeds.

On PC they are selling Gen4 (x4) at more than double the speed of this proprietary drive at a similar price.

its still gen4, you have to compare the hardware like for like as gen4 is considerably more expensive, neither MS or Sony can control the price of the new tech

Calverz

Ok but somebody made a claim that it's the same price as the PC equivalent, not "I'm too casual to change a PC nvme drive and therefore I'm happy to pay $100 more over the PC equivalent."
Look dont get me wrong. I agree the price is too high. But it was always going to be higher for the reasons i stated. I would expect the cost to come down as the memory will be more widely adopted and manufacturing costs go down.
I think some people dont really understand the memory problem we are facing early in this new gen.

jimbojim

Banned
its still gen4, you have to compare the hardware like for like as gen4 is considerably more expensive, neither MS or Sony can control the price of the new tech

Gimped Gen 4 with a Gen 3 speeds and for the same price as 980 Pro and at least +2x less speed.

Three

MS absolutely can and have because this is a proprietary drive. Gen4 is not more expensive when your components can remain the same as a gen3. it's just newer but when your flash controller and flash speeds are the same there is no difference to a gen3. The gen4 PCIe is just the interface.

Nobody sells gen4 x2 on PC because they all double the speed of gen3 x4 and use gen4 x4. They use faster controllers and faster flash memory, that's what costs money. Find a gen4 x2 then you can compare the price.

acm2000

Gimped Gen 4 with a Gen 3 speeds and for the same price as 980 Pro and at least +2x less speed.

we have yet to compare the real world sustained speeds of the xbox ssd or external storage using velocity and decompression hardware but im sure digital foundary will look at that so lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

for the record i give zero fucks out xbox or ps5 as i have a gaming laptop.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Jeeeebus. The Samsung one that "supposedly" meets Sony's specs is overpriced to hell too. Thank god I'm going physical. I can manage games storage more easily til these drop in price significantly.
You can store games on an external HDD on Xbox. No need for physical.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Will be using a backup HDD and just transfer games as needed. This was always the plan. It's pretty much how I do it right now. I have an SSD installed on my X1X and the games I play stay on that drive.

FlyyGOD

Jeeeebus. The Samsung one that "supposedly" meets Sony's specs is overpriced to hell too. Thank god I'm going physical. I can manage games storage more easily til these drop in price significantly.
Physical copies download to the harddrive as well.

TheContact

when you put in a disc the entire contents are written to the SSD and your disc just becomes a DRM check.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Technically greedy Seagate, but I think MS should not allow them to charge this. That last 19.99 erks me too. Just make the damn thing $199.99.
You really think Microsoft doesn't get a cut for every licensed and xbox-branded peripheral? And hey, I'm not blaming either party. It's a free market and they can put whatever price on their product they want as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Calverz

Sure, totally different. Not another proprietary storage with a price markup to make up for a lower price of entry for a curiously space reduced cheaper HW... no way...
🤦‍♂️
Firstly when vita cards launched we had SD cards which were significantly cheaper and would have been an easy alternative sony could have gone with.
This is different because both sony and microsoft were faced with difficult choice on what to do with this memory option as its new and makes all previous memory options redundant. Swappin out an sd card is different to an nvme drive.
Stop drawing the comparison because its very silly. I agree the price is too high. But the alternative is just saying, “ok we decided u can just use existing nvme and u need to install it to the motherboard yourself”. Which is not an experience console players traditionallywant.

Cyborg

Thats a lot of money and if you go all digital (with S) you will need to buy this real soon in the lifecycle. So a cheap console becomes over $500.

I expect even higher prices for the PS5 storage.

Mokus

It was expected, SSD is not cheap. We will have to hold out until gets cheaper, maybe 2-3 years. Actually it's not even that expansive considering it's proprietary. I paid 100 euros for 32 GB memory card for my Vita, and I don't regret it.

martino

You don't know what you're talking about, this drive is custom all the same as Sony's. It was developed by Microsoft and is being manufactured by Seagate.

Microsoft's design required that it be able to handle a sustained 2.4GB/s, required that it match the internal drive exactly for identical operation, it doesn't throttle. Notice how Microsoft has been all about advertising sustained speeds and Sony oddly hasn't mentioned the word once? It's no doubt because their drive performs nearer to a standard M.2, very high peaks but throttles under heavy load and heat accumulation. That's no doubt while you'll be able to throw a PC drive right in the system, although it will likely have to reasonably exceed their drive to ensure the throttling doesn't sink below theirs.

That's not going to be cheap.

absence of something is not ....
giphy.gif

road to ps5 says it can sustain 4gb / 0.5 sec so 8gb/sec decompressed
all those are PR claim but if you beleive one on word you have no reason to not believe the other.

Last edited:

saintjules

Checkout on Best Buy seems to work just fine now doesn't it lol.

Maybe this will teach people to not to hoard up the space on their drives with games they're not playing lol.

Last edited:

Neofire

Damn has people become so lazy as to not take two bolts out to remove something, that you more then likely won't have to take out for a long time, to get a fair price vs paying 60 bucks more for "plug and play" convenience? Smh 🤦🏿‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom