• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate - 1TB Game Drive for Xbox Series X and Series S Is $220 / 270€

Roxkis_ii

I'll probably wait a year. Hopefully the price comes down a smidge.

That's funny. I said the same thing about the PS vita and I still don't own one.

I expect prices for the drives you can use in the ps5 to come down in price, since those companies will still have to compete with other ssd makers.

But MS won't have any competition, so I don't see them going down in price as fast or as much..

I'll be getting one day one if they are available in Franceland.

I want to feel the benefit of faster loading on every game that I decide to bring over from my X too.

Would'nt it be cheaper to just get the XSX?

Leyasu

Banned
That's funny. I said the same thing about the PS vita and I still don't own one.

I expect prices for the drives you can use in the ps5 to come down in price, since those companies will still have to compete with other ssd makers.

But MS won't have any competition, so I don't see them going down in price as fast or as much..

Would'nt it be cheaper to just get the XSX?
I am getting the XsX dude. 2tb should be good

Pre-ordered and I paid half up front Tuesday. I should have bought it outright. But I want to sell my X and put that towards it.

Zero707

If I carry on trolling, report me.
I think the qustion are PCIe 4.0 Nvme SSDs needed or worth it for game development ?

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Price could have been almost half if MS didn't go the proprietary route. Xbox drive lacks any custom parts like Sony did for PS5, a run of the mill 2.4GB drive could have worked easily.

BigLee74

Way too expensive.

I'll just keep using my 2TB external. It can house all the BC games that I still play with load times I deem acceptable (ie most of them).

XSX games and BC games with slow loads will get put on the SSD.

No hassle.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty steep, but it's the first one with a lot of room in a small package. I think this is pretty normal

Price could have been almost half if MS didn't go the proprietary route. Xbox drive lacks any custom parts like Sony did for PS5, a run of the mill 2.4GB drive could have worked easily.
You don't know what you're talking about, this drive is custom all the same as Sony's. It was developed by Microsoft and is being manufactured by Seagate.

Microsoft's design required that it be able to handle a sustained 2.4GB/s, required that it match the internal drive exactly for identical operation, it doesn't throttle. Notice how Microsoft has been all about advertising sustained speeds and Sony oddly hasn't mentioned the word once? It's no doubt because their drive performs nearer to a standard M.2, very high peaks but throttles under heavy load and heat accumulation. That's no doubt while you'll be able to throw a PC drive right in the system, although it will likely have to reasonably exceed their drive to ensure the throttling doesn't sink below theirs.

That's not going to be cheap.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Realistically people will buy it if they simply want to have more storage and not have to take extra steps moving games around. So a $500 console for some will end up being a $720 console depending on your storage needs which seems a bit steep.

Aceofspades

Banned
You don't know what you're talking about, this drive is custom all the same as Sony's. It was developed by Microsoft and is being manufactured by Seagate.

Microsoft's design required that it be able to handle a sustained 2.4GB/s, required that it match the internal drive exactly for identical operation, it doesn't throttle. Notice how Microsoft has been all about advertising sustained speeds and Sony oddly hasn't mentioned the word once? It's no doubt because their drive performs nearer to a standard M.2, very high peaks but throttles under heavy load and heat accumulation.

All internal drives are made for sustained speeds, don't fall for MS typical marketing jargon.

All internal drives are made for sustained speeds, don't fall for MS typical marketing jargon.
No they're not, they give you peak speeds, maximum read and writes, and they rarely reach those points because they heat up and throttle under load.

It's not marketing, it's design.

Sw0pDiller

well, thats gonna make a dent in most peoples wallet and makes the series s even more obsolete. i wonder if there are going to be a lot of 3rd party supplyers or thats this is linked to seagate. In that regard i find the solution of the system that cannot be named a better and potentially cheaper one.

MastaKiiLA

2TB external SSDs are so cheap, you can easily get one, and the transfer speeds are great. If you can't wait a few minutes to swap a game in and out, then you're just impatient. If you're really about storage space, then might as well get an even bigger external HDD. The transfer speed will be slower, but what are the odds of you getting a "must play it this instant" hankering, for a game that's not in your active rotation anyway? You can go make a sandwich, while it transfers, and resume your gaming afterwards. I think when put into perspective, there's actually very little need for these proprietary solutions, when there are very workable off-the-shelf solutions, that have been proven for a decade now. If it worked for you with the slower drives in the PS4 and XBone, then it should easily work for you now. Game sizes shouldn't change that much anyway, if at all.

Data Ghost

I was down for one of these but that's a lot for what it is (even though its cutting edge spec). I can afford it but its more the principle of the thing. I will just memory manage for as long as I can.

Saying that GamePass is the problem here, so many games at your fingertips means fuller hard drives than with a console such as the PS5.

Aceofspades

Banned
You are paying the price of being proprietary solution , this SSD is twice the capacity and faster for the same price at the moment.

Sony solution might start more expensive due to the insane specs of PS5 ssd, but it will get cheaper really fast when you have multiple manufacturers fighting for your dollar.

Allandor

No, they aren't.
- to much heat -> throttling
- Cache full -> throttling
- To much load on the controller -> throttling

This is why not many SSDs will be PS5 compatible, well unless they only look at the peak performance, but I doubt, because else they wouldn't use 12 chips to get the performance. This would be way to expensive if it wasn't for the speed.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
I was down for one of these but that's a lot for what it is (even though its cutting edge spec). I can afford it but its more the principle of the thing. I will just memory manage for as long as I can.

Saying that GamePass is the problem here, so many games at your fingertips means fuller hard drives than with a console such as the PS5.

Xbox SSD is no cutting edge specs wise or speedwise, its actually on the slower side of current drives.

FranXico

Can you hook up your normal external via USB? If so could you not just buy a cheaper external ssd?
You can use an external drive for pure storage of new games (games still need to be swapped into the SSD to play them), and to play digital games.
I think it's the same on both XSX and PS5.

Last edited:

GHG

So the price reported the other day was incorrect?

$220 is a really shit price for a gen 3 drive.

Proprietary storage... Did say it would come at a premium.

Zoro7

Banned

Microsoft's design required that it be able to handle a sustained 2.4GB/s, required that it match the internal drive exactly for identical operation, it doesn't throttle. Notice how Microsoft has been all about advertising sustained speeds and Sony oddly hasn't mentioned the word once? It's no doubt because their drive performs nearer to a standard M.2, very high peaks but throttles under heavy load and heat accumulation. That's no doubt while you'll be able to throw a PC drive right in the system, although it will likely have to reasonably exceed their drive to ensure the throttling doesn't sink below theirs.

Ignore this guy. He was certain Xbox live would be free and that the Series S didn't exist. He is as clueless as they come.

Forsythia

With games being so huge this sucks. But with the money I save with GamePass it might not be so bad. Either way, it's a lot of money.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Wow... now PS5 SSD throttling “concern” too :LOL: (beautiful cherry on top: “the external proprietary drive which was supposed to be cheap because it is not special it is actually special as it does not throttle just like the internal drive does not throttle unlike PS5’s drive does because ‘reasons’ or they could both throttle but that would ruin my ‘genuine concern’...”).

F.U.D. knows no bounds.

Last edited:

GHG

Ignore this guy. He was certain Xbox live would be free and that the Series S didn't exist. He is as clueless as they come.

I will laugh my arse off if it turns out to be some cheap QLC drive wrapped up in a fancy case.

There are huge differences in read/write speeds among SSD drives. There are even some off-brand chinese SSDs that have faster write speeds than reads.

In this scenario you don't need to step down to "off-brand" Chinese brands to get a cheaper drive that will sustain the required speeds here.

YodaBB

XSS tard pack confirmed. XSS+1tb external=$520 vs XSX=$500. You end up with a few hundred gig more storage on the XSS, but gimped spec in every other way. Slower CPU, slower GPU, slower & less memory,no disk...

Last edited:

Boss Mog

the 1TB 980 Pro that works on the PS5 costs about the same though I expect it to become much cheaper in the coming years. If my experience with the 360 has taught me anything it's that proprietary drives never come down in price significantly. Thankfully in the 360 you could just take apart the proprietary caddy and just swap the drive for a much cheaper off the shelf model. I doubt that will be possible here though somebody may come up with a compatible caddy that fits into the expansion slot that lets you put your own M.2 drive in but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:

RPS37

Way too expensive.

I'll just keep using my 2TB external. It can house all the BC games that I still play with load times I deem acceptable (ie most of them).

XSX games and BC games with slow loads will get put on the SSD.

No hassle.
This will be my plan, except I have a 5TB external.

I plan on getting an expansion card in a year or two, once I start running out of space.

jimbojim

Banned
For the same price you can get Samsung 980 Pro 1TB which has a over 2x the performance and soon with other SSD's on the market in same speed category ( Intel, Sabrent, Crucial, Kingston....) prices will go down. 980 Pro surely will be PS5 certified.

Console + external HDD used to store all downloaded games so you don't have to download them again and swap them into the console SSD as needed = MONEY SAVED!

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So the price reported the other day was incorrect?

$220 is a really shit price for a gen 3 drive.

Proprietary storage... Did say it would come at a premium.
It's shit price for proprietary, because the price hardly is going to come down, however is Gen4.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why on earth is it gen 4? I thought the console could only support gen 3 speeds?
Well I am not exactly on SSD train to tell you that...however my PCIE4 drive is much faster on PCIE4 with IOPS then PCIE3 (if you switch that on BIOS...obviously I was getting worse speed than anticipated, so that's how I know)

Pantz

1TB on my X1X feels a little tight but it gets the job done to have a variety of big and little games. Ever since getting gigabit/unlimited internet I don't even really bother transferring to/from my external drives. I feel like 2TB with fast internet would be the sweet spot but I can manage until one of these goes on sale.

Top Bottom