• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal comes to PC on February 15, 2023 | PC Requirements and Features revealed

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That’s just one of its features.

“Tempest is powered by an extra AMD GPU compute unit located within the PS5 hardware. It accelerates sound decompression, and places audio all around you in a sphere of a thousand different virtual locations.”

“When it came to the section about sound, Cerny left his audience with the distinct feeling that the PS5 would not be supporting Dolby Atmos. The PS5 will output native 3D audio using a newly-designed 'Tempest Engine' with Cerny stating that he wanted to include far more than just the 34 speakers that Atmos can manage. It also means that many more TV sound devices will be able to leverage the PS5's surround virtualisation and not just Atmos-certified ones.”

I'm really not sure what you are pointing out here.. my GPU also does audio decompression on my PC. I mean the PS5's design from a hardware perspective for audio is based on AMD GPUs.

Beyond that, Tempest doesn't support 34 speakers.. it supports 2 speakers lol. Yes they support more "sound sources per scene" than Dolby Atmos.. but that is then being fed to TWO SPEAKERS lol.

And if you think audio designers are leveraging 100s of sound sources and you can actually tell the difference when that is sent to your TV speakers, I have a bridge to sell you.

Dolby Atmos FOR HEADPHONES is the tech you would compare Tempest to either way, not all of Dolby Atmos.

Notice that word "virtualization" in your quote? It's virtual surround sound, not surround sound..

PS5 supports surround sound for games via Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+, that's separate from Tempest... Sony simply didn't pay the license fees to have Dolby Atmos work for games, they only did it for Blu-Ray.

It's neat that Tempest supports virtually unlimited sound sources.. but that doesn't actually translate to "Speakers" at all... really if you believe in virtual surround sound THAT MUCH I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Friend had that razer huntsman PRO.
Keys felt amazingly smooth and the analog nature of it really works.
But it was shit in most games. The analog keys are spoofing a controller, so the games were constantly jittering between controller and pc prompts and so on.
It was way more of a headache that it was worth. It's on of these concepts that sound better than it is. 2mm of travel is not enough to have full range of precise movement. You bottom the keys out
Hi, you're wrong.

It's 4.00MM on the Wooting and it's great, playing stuff like COD and Fortnite is great. The springs are heavy and I've had those "walking" moments play just fine

Majority of games play fine with dual input now, and it's only growing more and people focus on the ones that don't vs the large groups that do.

ACESHIGH

Banned
If not for any potential restriction on old instruction sets I think this might even run on old FX rigs at least at 30 FPS. Specs were for 60 fps only. And according to them a 1st gen Ryzen 5 should run the game at 60 so...

Kind of annoying seeing these guys asking for 32 GB of ram. Your game is that scalable that for some reason you are asking for double the memory? I'm sure it will end up running on 8gb rigs just like elden ring did while asking for 12 as a minimum.

Puscifer

those are cool but the support for them isn't really there sadly... games can't really register analog movement and mouse movement at the same time. it's why gyro is such a hard thing to get working on PC. like i wish they would work seamlessly as it'd fix the biggest control issue KB/M has but it aint there really
The support for them? Lol it comes down to firmware and more games support dual input just fine than the ones that don't. Honestly if 99% the games that don't have it have an option that locks UI prompts you'd never know.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
P.S MS is doing this too. Halo and Forza support Dolby Atmos on PC but not on xsx which only supports dolby atmos for 4k blurays. Is Dolby Atmos free on PC or something?
Dolby Atmos Gaming is supported on Xbox Series X if youve got the setup its even free.
But Atmos Headphone requires the user to buy the license (Or hope your headphone come with one).

I know for a fact:
Gears 5
Halo Infinite
Will of the Wisps

All support Dolby Atmos

Im sure there are more games but these are the ones I know for sure.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hi, you're wrong.

It's 4.00MM on the Wooting and it's great, playing stuff like COD and Fortnite is great. The springs are heavy and I've had those "walking" moments play just fine

Majority of games play fine with dual input now, and it's only growing more and people focus on the ones that don't vs the large groups that do.
Maybe it's better on wooting. On huntsman pro total travel is 4mm sure... but adjustable length is not the whole 4mm.
I still find it mostly pointless.
Maaaaybe if you just put it on WASD with really stiff springs. Don't need it on other keys really. Then you need game that supports controller + mouse input at the same time and it could be fine.

But I am not wrong. I was using the thing. I can't be wrong about me using the thing lol

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
!!!!!

Really??? Like, you're not joking or anything? Because that'd be a dream if it were true. I'd love to play Returnal with an analog keyboard if it supported dual input

GreatnessRD

Ghost of Tsushima at 4k60, dualsense features and instant loading....
james franco GIF
Just as God intended! Now we just need Sony to follow the will.

IntentionalPun

It's not really the same, PS4 does virtual surround sound with headphones, PS5s is different to that (virtual 3D).

It is exactly the same. 3D is a marketing term for virtualization of surround sound on stereo speakers.

Really it's the term used for placing sound sources in a 3D space... which is exactly what all surround sound codecs work w/ to output to multiple speakers... headphone tech just virtualizes that.

Tempest just greatly increased the number of sources they support. Then they shove it into 2 speakers... so it's all kind of.. I dunno.. exaggerated... like all virtual surround techs.

Last edited:
If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.
GOW and Spider-Man killed it on PC…both Returnal and TLOU PT1 didn’t do to well on console either so it’s those specific games not Sony games in general.

Klik

I played it on PS5. Game looks good but it's definitely not "next gen" like UE5 demos.

Realistically i5/Ryzen + RTX 3060ti SHOULD be enough for 1440p 60fps high settings..

Facism

Is that too much? It's 60€ here on Spain. Quite a lot for an almost 2 years old game but hey, at least it's nmot 70$/80€. :goog_relieved:
Yeh its a big ask for me when it comes to a port of a year+ old game. I don't deny the quality of it, though. Just it doesn't represent value to me, is all.

Hopefully keyshops have a better price on release because I do want to play it 😀👍

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I'm really not sure what you are pointing out here.. my GPU also does audio decompression on my PC. I mean the PS5's design from a hardware perspective for audio is based on AMD GPUs.

Beyond that, Tempest doesn't support 34 speakers.. it supports 2 speakers lol. Yes they support more "sound sources per scene" than Dolby Atmos.. but that is then being fed to TWO SPEAKERS lol.

And if you think audio designers are leveraging 100s of sound sources and you can actually tell the difference when that is sent to your TV speakers, I have a bridge to sell you.

Dolby Atmos FOR HEADPHONES is the tech you would compare Tempest to either way, not all of Dolby Atmos.

Notice that word "virtualization" in your quote? It's virtual surround sound, not surround sound..

PS5 supports surround sound for games via Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+, that's separate from Tempest... Sony simply didn't pay the license fees to have Dolby Atmos work for games, they only did it for Blu-Ray.

It's neat that Tempest supports virtually unlimited sound sources.. but that doesn't actually translate to "Speakers" at all... really if you believe in virtual surround sound THAT MUCH I don't know what to tell you.
Dude, my PS5 is outputting surround sound to my surround sound system in games. Its direct competition in vector based surround sound playback to Dolby Atmos + virtualization tech for HP and TVs that works on any 2.0 device without certification. Dont know what Dolby Atmos would give you that Tempest isnt?

Dolby is limited to the amount of speakers with dedicated output in ints consumer line (34), Tempset engine has a theorecically higher ceiling. It can do everything Atmos can and more.

Hoddi

It is exactly the same. 3D is a marketing term for virtualization of surround sound on stereo speakers.

Really it's the term used for placing sound sources in a 3D space... which is exactly what all surround sound codecs work w/ to output to multiple speakers... headphone tech just virtualizes that.
There's a bit more to 3D audio than just direction. Here's a decent writeup from Anandtech back in 1999.

A3D 2.0

a3d.jpg
Aureal's A3D technology is based on the concept that we can tell where a sound is coming from with just two ears, so it must be possible to produce three dimensional sound using just two speakers. Over two decades of research into our ability to distinguish the location of a sound with just two ears and a number of technologies have grown out of that research, including A3D. A3D 1.0 uses Head-Related Transfer Functions (HRTF) to simulate the effect of a sound wave traveling into the ear and modifies that sound wave to make it sound as if it is coming from a specific location.

A3D 2.0 builds on this basic concept from A3D 1.0 by adding in wavetracing to simulate the effect of a sound wave traveling through a three dimensional environment - all done using the 3D geometry of the room from the games engine. This primarily means reflections off walls, occlusions by walls, Doppler effect, acoustic reverberation, and atmospheric absorption. Aureal website offers a complete white paper on A3D, covering the complete theory in full detail.

For example, imagine an audio source directly in front of you. You then leave the room by backing up through a door. In most games, the sound simply gets quieter as you move further away. But using A3D 2.0, the sound will actually get quieter because a wall is there and the higher frequencies become more muffled as they are obstructed by the wall. Now imagine turning the corner and walking down the hall. You're not really getting further away from the sound, so under normal circumstances, the sound would remain about the same volume. On the other hand, the sound would continue to change as A3D 2.0 calculates the amount of sound coming out of the door and bouncing towards the listener.

The wavetracing effect is truly amazing and must be heard to fully understand - this reviewer was definitely skeptical until hearing it in person. A number of demos from Aureal are included on the driver CD that really show off the effect. Unfortunately, Xitel has chosen not to include any software beyond those demos and the drivers. The value of game bundles is of course debatable and this point is left to the reader to debate.

Despite being the more mature technology, the 3D positioning of the sound was less impressive than the wavetracing. As stated above, A3D's positioning was actually originally designed to be used with two speakers, and headphones would in fact be the ideal setup as the exact location of the speakers is known.

Unfortunately, the positioning was not as that convincing to this reviewers ears using headphones or two speakers, but others have disagreed and believe this is the best setup. For me, the quad speaker configuration provided the most realistic 3D imaging since the sound that is supposed to come from behind you really does come from behind you. This is of course the most complicated setup that can be used with the Vortex 2, but thankfully all those options are available so that each individual can make his/her own decision.

A3D 1.0 was released back in 1997, so its game support is quite extensive as of now. A3D 2.0 is not yet a year old, but is already garnering plenty of support from most developers who already used A3D 1.0. Interestingly enough, one of the most anticipated games of the year, Quake 3 Arena will not support 3D audio in any form (including Creative's EAX).

Puscifer

!!!!!

Really??? Like, you're not joking or anything? Because that'd be a dream if it were true. I'd love to play Returnal with an analog keyboard if it supported dual input
The PC gaming Wiki is pretty amazing for this.

Maybe it's better on wooting. On huntsman pro total travel is 4mm sure... but adjustable length is not the whole 4mm.
I still find it mostly pointless.
Maaaaybe if you just put it on WASD with really stiff springs. Don't need it on other keys really. Then you need game that supports controller + mouse input at the same time and it could be fine.

But I am not wrong. I was using the thing. I can't be wrong about me using the thing lol

Lol that's why I said the Wooting is best for this. Modtap, 4.00 travel, double movement, instant response. This video does a better job explaining it, Razer is a joke.

Puscifer

Tempest just greatly increased the number of sources they support. Then they shove it into 2 speakers... so it's all kind of.. I dunno.. exaggerated... like all virtual surround techs.

There's a bit more to 3D audio than just direction. Here's a decent writeup from Anandtech back in 1999.
So question I have to ask about you two. Have you used headphones like the dt770, Sennheiser H660s, etc that have great soundstages? Personally once I got my dt990 I couldn't imagine any "3D audio" stuff when the headphones just did it naturally. I couldn't play CoD or Valorant without my headphones or IEMs now.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The PC gaming Wiki is pretty amazing for this.
All battlefield games, bioshock, borderlands, DOOM 2016, Halo, Just Cause!??!

OK, is there any way where you could lock the button prompts so that the game doesn't spaz out whenever you touch your mouse? this is sounding really fucking cool. That Wooting keyboard is on my radar now

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So question I have to ask about you two. Have you used headphones like the dt770, Sennheiser H660s, etc that have great soundstages? Personally once I got my dt990 I couldn't imagine any "3D audio" stuff when the headphones just did it naturally. I can't image playing CoD or Valorant without my headphones or IEMs now.
Have HD800S HP, yet gaming on a surround sound system is a lot more accurate regarding localization than the HP.
Virtual 3D on HP most of time has a major hit on sound quality imo.

Puscifer

All battlefield games, bioshock, borderlands, DOOM 2016, Halo, Just Cause!??!

OK, is there any way where you could lock the button prompts so that the game doesn't spaz out whenever you touch your mouse? this is sounding really fucking cool. That Wooting keyboard is on my radar now

Depends on the game, some of them literally only show one or the other while others just operate fine. I wish there was a way to lock UIs for all of them, maybe a software solution down the line? Who knows

WTF? lol

Tempest is a tech to mimic surround sound out of stereo speakers.

That is not a replacement for actual surround sound, it's just for people who can't afford it / or dont have space for it / or are using headphones.

Sure sure,

Layman terms Quote:
Sony’s Tempest 3D has no such problems. Toggle it on, and it works perfectly on all games. It’ll use the surround tracks in PS4 games to provide a 7.1 experience, and any available 3D audio data in PS5 games to put sound above and below you. Every game that runs on PS5 sounds wonderful with Tempest turned on, with properly-located surround effects. This is the way it should be. Also, Tempest has waaaaay more audio objects than Atmos could ever dream of (iirc Atmos has like 10 or 16, while Tempest has thousands).

yurinka

If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.
PC ports are super cheap to make and will give them hundreds of millions of profit per year, so they'll continue porting games to PC.

Some ports will sell more and other ones will sell less, but as a whole they'll continue being a very profitable business for them with almost zero risk.

Sony's best games failing to sell on pc
They aren't failing to sell on PC. Most are having great sales, a couple were released overpriced being late ports in the busiest part of the year, so will have to wait for discounts and price cuts to sell. But as a whole, they're making a lot of profit with these PC posts.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Sure sure,

Layman terms Quote:
Sony’s Tempest 3D has no such problems. Toggle it on, and it works perfectly on all games. It’ll use the surround tracks in PS4 games to provide a 7.1 experience, and any available 3D audio data in PS5 games to put sound above and below you. Every game that runs on PS5 sounds wonderful with Tempest turned on, with properly-located surround effects. This is the way it should be. Also, Tempest has waaaaay more audio objects than Atmos could ever dream of (iirc Atmos has like 10 or 16, while Tempest has thousands).

Atmos supports actual 7.1 speaker setups. (and 7.2.. and 11.2, and beyond)

That's a pretty big difference there lol

If you guys really think Tempest on your stero TV speakers is greater than Atmos on a 7.1 system... I truly don't know WTF to tell you guys.

If you want to compare it to Atmos for Headphones.. then compare it to Atmos for Headphones, not all of Dolby Atmos.

Last edited:
Fucking sold!!!!!

OMG looks amazing, Raytracing and atmos. Please be steam deck compatible.

Love all these games recommending SSDs.
Steam Deck will support ray tracing with this game. You'll get real time reflections of the exploding screen in your eyeballs once it overheats.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I have a 9700k which is in their epic category but a 4090 which is above their ray tracing category.

I doubt I'd even notice a cpu change at 4k.

Hot5pur

Is 32 GB really a thing now for 4k gaming? I've seen it in others specs and wondering if devs just like multiples of 2 or it's an actual thing.

Glad Sony is releasing stuff on PC, keeps me from buying a PS5 and playing lesser versions of their games. Price is OK, with keysites it's probably good for a day 1 purchase.

Graciaus

Is 32 GB really a thing now for 4k gaming? I've seen it in others specs and wondering if devs just like multiples of 2 or it's an actual thing.

Glad Sony is releasing stuff on PC, keeps me from buying a PS5 and playing lesser versions of their games. Price is OK, with keysites it's probably good for a day 1 purchase.
If you are just gaming 99.9% of games are fine with 16. If you were building today put 32 in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Add another to the list.

There's more that will come in 2023. Right now LOU Part 1 is pegged for March. That leaves April - December wide open and there's no way Sony will release zero ports.

GT7, DS, R&C, Ghost of Tsu, Dreams, The Show. Take your pick.

Dont forget Factions MP game (and whatever GAAS games come soon). Those will likely be day one PC games.

Jaybe

I know the game was supposed to be on the more difficult end of the spectrum, so you all think it will be easier playing with a mouse?

Banned
My RTX 2060 Super is feeling weak watching those recent requirements.

Michael_Jordan_crying.jpg

I mean DLSS will save your ass for a while still.
especially remember that these requirements are often really terribly layed out.

I bet you can reduce stuff that the devs left on higher settings because they basically only report presets, and presets are basically useless if you want a good performance to image quality ratio.

reducing shadow detail and AO detail often gives you a substantial fps boost with minimal graphical impact.

and then remember that the PS5 version runs at 1080p and looked fine due to the artstyle used.
so if you are able to get 1440p with DLSS quality or balanced to run well you'll not have much worse of an experience than on PS5

Last edited:

Banned
I know the game was supposed to be on the more difficult end of the spectrum, so you all think it will be easier playing with a mouse?

I don't think so. it had very good controller aiming and forgiving hitboxes.

the biggest challenge from what I played (which wasn't that much tbh) was the dodging and general movement, not so much the aiming

yamaci17

just have adequate RAM based on your VRAM

if you have a 8 GB VRAM GPU, you will be absolutely FINE with 16 GB RAM. Reasons are simple, MOST OF THE RAM DATA ALREADY CONSISTS the data that will be sent to VRAM. in other words: DUPLICATE DATA. Imagine trying to using 10 GB worth of textures on a 8 GB GPU. it is not even possible, VRAM will be the bottleneck for it.

For 10 B VRAM GPUs, 16 GB MAY get to its limits (not breach), but as long as you keep your background in check, it is okay.

But! If you use texture/ray tracing settings that DO fill 12-16 GB VRAM, chances are, the RAM usage will also be upwards of 12-16 GB which can prove to be problematic for 16 GB memory budget.

It really makes no sense that a game to require 32 GB RAM alongside with a 8 GB VRAM GPU lmao. But they will do it anyways, why not! thankfully they became reasonable and reduced the recommended budget to 16gb.

12-16 gb vram surely calls for 24-32 gb ram

however 8-10 is okay with 16. and yeah, 8-10 can do 4k gaming too, just with reduced texture quality

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is the first PS5 only game on PC right ? Everything else has been on ps4 as well.

Curious how much juice the PC version can muster visually since when I beat it on ps5 it was quite the looker.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, but they havent said they like them either. Sackboys big adventures isnt doing them any favors.

Only a couple of games did well. The last I heard about the total revenue of Sony exclusives since Days Gone was released, was a little over 600 million after 5 to 6 games. They arent going to do day and date pc releases or lower the value of their games just because they released years before on console. Its still new, yet 10 dollars cheaper if you havent played it, so that argument holds no weight. A Car from 1968 can still cost 60,000.

Oh I believe they will too, but they wont make any significant amount of money with people gamers scoffing at paying 50.00$ for a port to critically acclaimed games. Like Sony exclsuives and cheap pc spenders dont mix.

Miles Morales is still one of the best selling games after releasing in 2020. Its bigger than a DLC add on and was the first to have raytracing and FSR on consoles. Sackboy big adventure isnt a lack luster indie game.

I got these revenue numbers from Sony themselves and other sources. My estimation is actually higher than what Sony expected. Much less than 600 mill. Nobody is saying these games need to sell 10 mill each, but the ROI might not be there with the current economy. Uncharted, Last of Us and GOW should all sell 5 mill copies each at a minum. If thats tooo much to ask, what are doing here?

https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-expects-to-earn-dollar300-million-from-pc-games-in-the-next-12-months/

An extra 100 million per game seems decent to me. The ports probably didn't cost that much so maybe an extra 80 to 90 million per game. That's a big chunk of dev cost for those titles and money that wasn't coming in.

I bet God of war and spiderman were probs 200 million each. With smaller games like sackboy only doing like 10 to 20 million.

Last edited:
Top Bottom