• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal comes to PC on February 15, 2023 | PC Requirements and Features revealed

TrebleShot

This is the first PS5 only game on PC right ? Everything else has been on ps4 as well.

Curious how much juice the PC version can muster visually since when I beat it on ps5 it was quite the looker.
There won’t be much difference , everything they list as PC enhancements were in the PS5 version other than ultra widescreen.

The main difference will be native resolution rather than upscaling.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
There won’t be much difference , everything they list as PC enhancements were in the PS5 version other than ultra widescreen.

Raytraced shadows and reflections are not in the PS5 version.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

RayTraced Reflections
Arbitrary Resolutions
Uncapped Framerates
HQ Textures
Native Resolution Effects
HQ Volumetrics.

If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.

How many units do you think these games need to sell in order to be commercially successful? It's a port not rebuilding a game from scratch.

They're building a PC library. That's why they ported over Sackboy instead of Returnal or Gran Turismo earlier. They probably expected better for Uncharted, but dems the breaks.

TrebleShot

Raytraced shadows and reflections are not in the PS5 version.
Are we sure about that? Seem to remember it having RT of some sort hence the low res with upscaling, isn’t is 1080p reconstructed to 1440p and then upscaled to 4k, I’ll be getting it anyway, never got into it on ps5.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Are we sure about that? Seem to remember it having RT of some sort hence the low res with upscaling, isn’t is 1080p reconstructed to 1440p and then upscaled to 4k, I’ll be getting it anyway, never got into it on ps5.

They used RT to improve the accuracy of their lighting system. No RT reflections or shadows. I'm very sure.

Atmos supports actual 7.1 speaker setups. (and 7.2.. and 11.2, and beyond)

That's a pretty big difference there lol

If you guys really think Tempest on your stero TV speakers is greater than Atmos on a 7.1 system... I truly don't know WTF to tell you guys.

If you want to compare it to Atmos for Headphones.. then compare it to Atmos for Headphones, not all of Dolby Atmos.
Tempest does 7.1 too, don’t know about 7.2 or 11.2 etc, but it does 7.1, and with thousands of objects instead of 36. It also does audio raytracing, 3D audio, and more. It’s not only 3D audio it does. It’s the total solution for the ps5s sound, not only stereo 3D audio. Also it can output lossless sound while Atmos is compressed.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Bought it last night on Steam.

Now I guess this is a pretty good example of dual sense and makes me want to buy one but.. for sure this game should be better on keyboard and mouse no? Especially due to the difficulty?

GHG

Bought it last night on Steam.

Now I guess this is a pretty good example of dual sense and makes me want to buy one but.. for sure this game should be better on keyboard and mouse no? Especially due to the difficulty?

Play it with keyboard and mouse, it's a shooter.

I'm double dipping just because I want to give this another shot with keyboard and mouse, hit a wall on the PS5 version (I generally suck at shooters using controllers).

But you should get a dualsense anyway, it's a great controller and it's getting more and more support on PC.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Tempest does 7.1 too, don’t know about 7.2 or 11.2 etc, but it does 7.1, and with thousands of objects instead of 36. It also does audio raytracing, 3D audio, and more. It’s not only 3D audio it does. It’s the total solution for the ps5s sound, not only stereo 3D audio. Also it can output lossless sound while Atmos is compressed.
Do you have a source because I’m quite sure that’s not true.

If you have a proper, physical surround sound setup then the difference between Atmos and the Sony solution is obvious instantly.

Last edited:
If anything Returnal has chances to finally be successful on PC, the game was only talked by some PS fans, but it's a genre that is very popular on PC
I honestly don’t see it selling better than the PS5 version especially early in it’s life. The PC does have a very large user base obviously, so you never know.

yamaci17

2 year old midrange GPU not being able to max out a random game: PC GAMING SUCKS ITS HORRIBLE DAMN IT ALL, YOU NEED NEW GPU EVERY 2 YEAR

7 year old midrange GPU being able to run a "nextgen only" game at 1080p/60 FPS:

Dead Silence GIF by Studios 2016

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Any word on Steam Deck compatibility?

Tempest cant do overhead sounds. it's a decent solution for simulating surround sound but atmos is all about audio above your head. Your atmos soundbar/home theater system simply wont activate their atmos speakers on PS5 games.

Ive tested this.
Tempest does object-based positioning just like Atmos, and it works with headphones.
The big problem here is the absence of a royalty-free standard to send PCM signals to height speakers in home theater AV receivers through HDMI (like there is for 7.1, 9.1, up to 30.2 I believe), so in the PS5 that feature goes missing.
Though it's the receivers that should allow speaker allocation to height channels, it's not like Sony has done much to guarantee that feature. They're not even setting the example with their own receivers.

TrebleShot

Just jumping in on the audio discussion and misunderstanding of Tempest.

Tempest = Binaural audio processing, lots of sound sources (more than atmos) includes height data and sound and is predominantly headphone based , although an update was released to work with TV in built stereo speakers NOT surround sound systems with physically based speakers in a room - this is supposed to be coming soon but 2 years later I think it’s been dropped.

Dolby Atmos - Headphones based system is virtualisation of physically based surround sound , sounds fantastic still but not as accurate or immersive as Tempest but really it’s splitting hairs. Also widely supported on many surround sound systems such as Sonos speakers etc which sounds fantastic also.

PS5 supports tempest audio via headphones and TV speakers , it does not support Dolby atmos in games on either. It DOES support Dolby digital 5.1/7.1 for physically based surround sound systems and sounds great but not as good as atmos on the same systems.

This PC release of Returnal supports Dolby Atmos which will be a downmix in real time from spacial audio or the original Tempest master (depending on how many channels and sources that used) and will function on headphones and speaker systems , hopefully there is a Spacial audio option in the menu for original tempest support but perhaps unlikely as it is a hardware component in the PS5 that would need emulation, not sure.

Both sound fantastic , objectively PS5 tempest audio on headphones is more accurate and “better” than Dolby atmos due to more processing power behind it and also more sound sources being reproduced with direction to the listener.

Atmos through speakers will sound far better than tempest at the moment as it can only be reproduced on TV speakers which by their nature sound worse than a fully fledged speaker set up that supports atmos.

Headphones - Tempest Better
Speakers - Atmos better

Also worth noting , most games claim to have tempest support or “3D audio”, it’s actually an up mix to virtual surround sound to give the effect of 5.1/7.1 via headphones and do not have physically based sound sources. Good examples are Assasins Creed Valhalla and Uncharted Collection.

SOME-MIST

I honestly don’t see it selling better than the PS5 version especially early in it’s life. The PC does have a very large user base obviously, so you never know.
I also don't see it selling better than PS5. nex machina was housemarque's first attempt at releasing a game simultaneously on PC and console and it was one of the best games to release in 2017 and their attempt to release it on multiple platforms didn't go well... at all.
the release window for returnal on PS5 was the right place at the right time which got them more exposure and the recognition they finally deserved and I think that did significantly more for them than a PC release is going to do. But I'm not upset about it, I already bought it on PC since I don't own a PS5 :messenger_winking_tongue:

GreatnessRD

But you should get a dualsense anyway, it's a great controller and it's getting more and more support on PC.
I'm waiting to purchase the dualsense if they add a wireless adapter and it supports all of the features of the controller on PC via said adapter and not just plugged up by USB cable.

Reactions: GHG

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

No it doesn't. And you can't do thousands of sound sources by outputting to 7 channels. Those sources would get paired down to the 7 channels instead of "virtually outputted" to the 2 channels Tempest 3D uses.

PS5 has surround sound, but that's not Tempest, it's Dolby Digital.

Tempest is short for Tempest 3D audio, which was originally only for headphones, now it works on TV speakers.

I suppose you could just be referring to the chip, the Tempest Engine.. but for 7.1 surround sound, it's still just outputting dolby digital. None of the 3d audio stuff has anything to do with that.

And Atmos supports... you guessed it.. uncompressed audio lol It's called Dolby TrueHD, and it's 1 of the 2 codecs Atmos supports.

And PCs have been capable of "audio ray tracing" for ages now.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I would buy the game but not at this price.

This is such an old game and should not be more than £25. Wasn't this on PS Plus 6 months ago?

Zimmy68

The price is insane, especially when you consider what they charged for other Sony IPs.
It won't affect me, I'll just grab it from the grey market sites.

yamaci17

Love the haptics point. You also get that in some console vs threads. Xbox will win the spec chart comparison, but then you might claims the Sony version is still better due to haptics being better than Xbox vibrations.
haptics are both a blessing and a curse
dualsense is shite for %99 of games ever existed. regular vibrations do not play nice with dualsense at all. had to get myself another dualshock after being so disappointed with dualsense on non haptic feedback games
haptics when they work is better than regular vibrations. however haptics trying to emulate real vibrations just suck
in that regard, dualsense is a huge f*** you to all games ever existed lmao

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Headphones - Tempest Better
Speakers* - Atmos better

* - if you have an Atmos setup with height speakers.
If what you have is a regular 5.1 or 7.1 setup, then AFAIK the PS5 can either send everything through PCM or encode into Dolby Digital or DTS, at which point Tempest is still used for positioning, reverb, etc.
AFAIK Tempest can even use the raytracing units for soundwave reflection and refraction, which is super cool.

The PS5's sole limitation with the lack of Dolby Atmos in games is really just the lack of support for height speakers.

TrebleShot

* - if you have an Atmos setup with height speakers.
If what you have is a regular 5.1 or 7.1 setup, then AFAIK the PS5 can either send everything through PCM or encode into Dolby Digital or DTS, at which point Tempest is still used for positioning, reverb, etc.
AFAIK Tempest can even use the raytracing units for soundwave reflection and refraction, which is super cool.

The PS5's sole limitation with the lack of Dolby Atmos in games is really just the lack of support for height speakers.
I’m not sure that’s 100% true as the PS5 does support Atmos with height data on Blurays/playback services.

Side note , what is the liklihood PSVR 2 support comes to PC?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I’m not sure that’s 100% true as the PS5 does support Atmos with height data on Blurays/playback services.
It's just passthrough of pre-encoded content towards a receiver. It's not the same license as the one needed to encode sound into the Atmos format. I'm not sure they even need a license at all for passthrough.

Side note , what is the liklihood PSVR 2 support comes to PC?
Without Sony providing the drivers for the USB and Bluetooth devices I think it'll be very hard to make it happen.
For most PC GPUs we'd also need to have someone make an adapter that combines USB3 and DisplayPort into USB-C using alternate mode.

In the end I think it'll depend on whether or not Sony is willing to provide that opportunity for PC users. It could be that they'll be waiting for PSVR2 -> PC VR ports to appear, before providing the necessary software and hardware.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Dont be surprised if this does really well on PC. I'm expecting sales closer to GOW than say Uncharted or Days Gone.
These games are usually super popular on PC.

Myself i'll wait for a sale.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dont be surprised if this does really well on PC. I'm expecting sales closer to GOW than say Uncharted or Days Gone.
These games are usually super popular on PC.

Myself i'll wait for a sale.
Ya.

Certain genres are always popular on PC.... rogues, community creation games (where's Dreams?), MMO, RTS etc... Returnal fits well.

Top Bottom