• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal comes to PC on February 15, 2023 | PC Requirements and Features revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member

lBeYpot.jpg

So far, not many details have been released on any specific features that will add to the experience and immersion on PC, so let’s get to the good stuff.

NVIDIA DLSS and AMD FSR have been added, allowing you to dial up your framerate without compromising on resolution. NVIDIA NIS has also been added for those players who also want to see an increase in performance, but don’t have the hardware to support DLSS or FSR.*

Grab your favourite pair of headphones to experience the 3D sound of Returnal on PC! Enjoy the award-winning audio and music through Dolby Atmos, two 3D audio solutions, or 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. And with custom ray-traced audio, you can fully immerse yourself in Returnal’s atmosphere.***

85431b4c21825af09cc55b805c21c96396dda3f8.jpg
cae0353816e2eec78b72385242f0714c503b9b1f.jpg
d3bd403cdee4e9081bd86ed57bdd27a699b7266e.jpg
44bea7cd742de63c37e664ec84ac85f863da642c.jpg
7d17940516c18ffdad76678055b33706e259f518.jpg

All of this is best experienced on a DualSense controller in its full haptic feedback and adaptive trigger glory.**** Experience each encounter with nudges and rumbling cues coming directly to your fingertips, adding an extra layer of communication as an advantage to the player. Support for Keyboard & Mouse is also available, along with a wide range of customisation options to tailor the controls to whatever suits you.

We here at Housemarque are beyond excited to see Returnal come to PC and expand our beautiful, dark, and mysterious experience to brand new players!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
DLSS for life, might be able to play this at 4K.

Hope the game's as good as some gaffers claim. Won't be getting it day 1 tho, February is for finishing up DQXI and Like a Dragon: Ishin.

Last edited:

Holammer

If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.
The current Sony releases are merely blood sacrifices to build a presence & good standing in the PC space, for all those GaaS games in the pipeline.

Anyway, might get it when it's 40%'ish off.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Will get it on sale after HW: Legacy but there's one technical beat that is curiously missing from that trailer. . .

Definitely looking forward to the DF load time tests.

OsirisBlack

Banned
My RTX 2060 Super is feeling weak watching those recent requirements.

Michael_Jordan_crying.jpg
My old pc could still play most of the games maxed but only around 30-40fps, I have gone back to test some games and the performance is even better with DLSS.

RTX 2080 Ti
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor 3.49 GHz
64.0 GB

I just upgraded again, not going to bother with another upgrade for a very long while.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ok, I was already pretty pissed about PC getting ray tracing but Dolby fucking ATMOS!! Thats going too far lol.

Ray tracing I can understand. PS5 already runs the game at 1080p before being checkerboarded to 1440p then upscaled so it doesnt have enough headroom for ray tracing, but it is insane to me that PS5 supports Dolby Atmos for blurays not for games. It makes no sense and just comes across as Sony being too cheap to pay for the Dolby Atmos license for games. But now they are willing to do it for PC. What. The. Fuck.

P.S MS is doing this too. Halo and Forza support Dolby Atmos on PC but not on xsx which only supports dolby atmos for 4k blurays. Is Dolby Atmos free on PC or something?

Thebonehead

Banned
*Use of performance enhancing upscaling like NVIDIA DLSS is recommended when using both ray-traced reflections and ray-traced shadows.

All of this is best experienced on a DualSense controller in its full haptic feedback and adaptive trigger glory.**** Experience each encounter with nudges and rumbling cues coming directly to your fingertips, adding an extra layer of communication as an advantage to the player. Support for Keyboard & Mouse is also available, along with a wide range of customisation options to tailor the controls to whatever suits you.

Yeah about using a controller...
Behind The Scenes Kick GIF by Taylor Swift

Celcius

°Temp. member
"All of this is best experienced on a DualSense controller in its full haptic feedback and adaptive trigger glory."
I'm glad to see someone FINALLY giving the PC version of the game the same DualSense support that is already in the PS5 version. More companies need to do this.

SlimySnake

"best experienced on a DualSense controller"

Jesus freaking Christ. Shooter = m+kb. When these aim assist, claw grip, retarded analog sticks, L3/R3 lovers will understand?
You have no idea just how amazing this game feels with haptics and audio coming out of the controller speakers. You can feel rain drops on the controller. The triggers feel amazing. It shows the true potential of the dualsense.

KBM will control better of course but you wont neccessarily get the best experience.

Last edited:
You have no idea just how amazing this game feels with haptics and audio coming out of the controller speakers. You can feel rain drops on the controller. The triggers feel amazing. It shows the true potential of the dualsense.

KBM will control better of course but you wont get neccessarily get the best experience.
Yea I don't get why or how more games don't use the controller properly. Returnal and the Astro demo feel SO SO good, but most other games just treat it as simple fancy rumble. Even other Sony games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gonna give it another crack. Was disappointing in it as a roguelike but it's still a solid game. Just got halfway through and didn't fancy more but will start again on PC eventually.

Haptics and triggers did my head in though, honestly, turned them off. Felt like my hands were gonna drop off.

SlimySnake

No need for Dolby Atmos on PS5 since it has build in hardware to do the exact same thing ? Tempest is the name of their PS5 solution.
Tempest cant do overhead sounds. it's a decent solution for simulating surround sound but atmos is all about audio above your head. Your atmos soundbar/home theater system simply wont activate their atmos speakers on PS5 games.

Ive tested this.

SlimySnake

Calm down, they're just vibrations lmao. The hyperbole when it comes to this feature is so exaggerated and yes I have a PS5.
No, haptics arent vibrations. You can easily tell which game phones in haptics and which game doesnt. Astrobot and Returnal make great use of haptics while everyone else treats them like vibrations. Probably why you cant tell the difference.

A.Romero

No - You need it to be wired for full support unless you want to pay for a 3rd party app

What app is it? Would you recommend it?

These min requirements for next gen games are crazy. I've been holding from buying this game to play it on PC but I only have a 3070 so I don't think I can play it all maxed out.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
only have a 3070
Me too. Guess it'll be either 4K+DLSS or 2K+RT+DLSS. Not too bad but yeah... not the best.

Seeing Uncharted, Miles Morales, and Sackboy underperfom on pc isn't encouraging though...
imo those are kinda shitty games tho. How's Persona 5 doing?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fucking sold!!!!!

OMG looks amazing, Raytracing and atmos. Please be steam deck compatible.

Love all these games recommending SSDs.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.

These are two dissimilar games. Why lump them together?

Returnal sold relatively poorly on console too.

solidus12

Me too. Guess it'll be either 4K+DLSS or 2K+RT+DLSS. Not too bad but yeah... not the best.

imo those are kinda shitty games tho. How's Persona 5 doing?
Persona 5 isn't a PS Studio game
These are two dissimilar games. Why lump them together?

Returnal sold relatively poorly on console too.
Yeah, it's sad, hope it fares better on pc; that will push Sony to keep this pc initiative.

Interfectum

Do your part and buy the game on pc then. I did mine and bought it on PS5
Seeing Uncharted, Miles Morales, and Sackboy underperfom on pc isn't encouraging though...
We have no idea if they are underperforming or not unless I missed somewhere that Sony has said these games did not meet expectations.

PC ports are Sony's long game, I don't think any single title's performance matters.

Last edited:
Sarcastic Big Sky GIF by ABC Network

We need to have a conversation. Sony's best games failing to sell on pc is a bigger deal than pc gamers think. If this keeps happening, soon Sony going to say screw it, keep the singleplayer stuff exclusive to playstation, and give the pc crowd Destruction Allstars next.

Top Bottom