• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal comes to PC on February 15, 2023 | PC Requirements and Features revealed

Interfectum

Sarcastic Big Sky GIF by ABC Network

We need to have a conversation. Sony's best games failing to sell on pc is a bigger deal than pc gamers think. If this keeps happening, soon Sony going to say screw it, keep the singleplayer stuff exclusive to playstation, and give the pc crowd Destruction Allstars next.
Has Sony said they are disappointed in the performance of these games?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

We need to have a conversation. Sony's best games failing to sell on pc is a bigger deal than pc gamers think. If this keeps happening, soon Sony going to say screw it, keep the singleplayer stuff exclusive to playstation, and give the pc crowd Destruction Allstars next.

How do we know Sonys games aren't selling on PC?

I thought Spider man did Crazy numbers?

The only reason their games wouldn't sell well on PC is the delay IMO.

You cant launch a game a year later and expect 50 to 60 pounds for it, unless it's an absolute banger of a game or I dunno?

Microsoft seems to make it work and consistently sells millions on steam as well as being on Game Pass and the only major difference is they are there day one and on sale within a reasonable time frame. Also big games like sea of thieves and grounded are priced fairly.

Last edited:

nikos

Can’t wait! Played the game for a bit but ultimately held out for the PC version.

Excited for all of those features, but the best is being able to play with a mouse.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.
i think it's time for you to stop screaming and whining about pc players enjoying their games.
horizon didnt sell well, god of war didnt sell well, hell spiderman didn't sell well. ports are still coming. Sony does not care. shit takes like almost 0 resources and is extra cash.
even then no one knows if these ports are selling terribly, maybe they're doing better than you think? sony hasn't announced disappointment in the sales of the PC ports

Last edited:

kyoji

which part? About the price or returnal being good?
It's worth 50 100%
Dont play sly, i dont forget much on this forum. The game is awesome. Ofc im talking about the price and how much u belly ached on it until you actually played the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"best experienced on a DualSense controller"

Jesus freaking Christ. Shooter = m+kb. When these aim assist, claw grip, retarded analog sticks, L3/R3 lovers will understand?
I used to be like this at one time when I was too hardcore PC. Then I adapted and can use either or with zero issues. I can even use controllers in racing games now as well as wheels. *gasp*

Also, 3rd person characters feel like shit controlling with a KB. Mouse is fine, but the KB feels too robotic to me.

Ozriel

M$FT

You’re mistaken. God of War, Spiderman and Horizon sold quite well on PC.

A Bloodborne port will sell millions. TLOU will sell very well.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I used to be like this at one time when I was too hardcore PC. Then I adapted and can use either or with zero issues. I can even use controllers in racing games now as well as wheels. *gasp*

Also, 3rd person characters feel like shit controlling with a KB. Mouse is fine, but the KB feels too robotic to me.
Aim assist that can't be turned off, bad button layout/lack of buttons leading to claw grip, L3/R3 press when the sticks are tilted, maximum speeds of the right analog stick are unavoidable issues playing with a controller.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dont play sly, i dont forget much on this forum. The game is awesome. Ofc im talking about the price and how much u belly ached on it until you actually played the game.
aaaah yes.
Lol put it together. You make it too big of a deal.
It didn't look that interesting UNTIL I played it.

After playing, I can say it is worth full price.
I got it for 50$ same year it released.

gothmog

Gold Member

Jesus freaking Christ. Shooter = m+kb. When these aim assist, claw grip, retarded analog sticks, L3/R3 lovers will understand?
Haptics and all the other DS candy aside, the game plays more like a bullet hell game than a shooter IMO. I'm planning on double dipping because I'm curious how it translates to k/m. I would bet the controller still feels better. When the game clicks the DS becomes an extension of your senses. The haptics are so sensitive you can feel projectiles coming at you from different directions.

TxKnight7

If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.
Did Returnal achieve a big success on PS5 ? maybe they want more sales for both games..

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Do your part and buy the game on pc then. I did mine and bought it on PS5
Seeing Uncharted, Miles Morales, and Sackboy underperfom on pc isn't encouraging though...

Cinematic experience games are not popular on PC. I bet this outperforms the TLOU port and the uncharted port combined.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Come on man, lol.
What the hell even is a claw grip? Sounds like someone that doesn't know how to hold a controller correctly.

The haptics are amazing in this game dead stop. Even the varying degrees of pressure needed to use alt weapons fire feels very good.
I use a controller for just about everything casual, and only even think about using a mouse and keyboard if I'm playing Smite, Rainbow six siege or running a raid in FFXIV (aka try hard mode). Even those games if I'm in a pick up group or just chilling on the couch I can still play with a controller. Fighting games = fight stick only. Using a controller there is classless.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
the game plays more like a bullet hell game than a shooter IMO. I'm planning on double dipping because I'm curious how it translates to k/m.
Because the brain dead giant hitboxes + bullet magnetism. Hope they change this while playing with m+kb otherwise there is no point in playing for me.

What the hell even is a claw grip? Sounds like someone that doesn't know how to hold a controller correctly.
Case of ignorance being a bliss.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
you put an emphasis on 'to me' (likely to drive away the crowd that would come in, misinterpret your words and then say IT DOESNT FEEL ROBOTIC TO ME)
so i decided to be an ass and mock them by saying that. probably could have worded it better though

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned

Sony's good games do sell well (edit: on PC) - Their lacklustre games like Sackboy, and the phoned in Miles Morales don't.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
you put an emphasis on 'to me' (likely to drive away the crowd that would come in saying IT DOESNT FEEL ROBOTIC TO ME)
so i decided to be an ass and mock them by saying that
I put emphasis stating that personally to me. It may feel different to others.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

SONY doesn't realese sales numbers so where are you getting this from? There's noting I've seen that suggests that the heavy hitters they've released so far "failed." This of course ignores that the games ALREADY were sales successes on console. Like what is a "success" to you - selling the same or more on PC than they did on console? That's just silly and was never going to happen.

DeaDPo0L84

I love all the concern trolling when really the truth behind it is "I don't want other people playing MY exclusives!". Sony is going to release more 1st party stuff on PC and the gap for doing so is going to continue to shrink, that's a simple reality.

Chukhopops

If anything Returnal has chances to finally be successful on PC, the game was only talked by some PS fans, but it's a genre that is very popular on PC
Yeah I don’t see it happening, it was supposed to happen with the PS+ addition and it didn’t move the needle. Unless you want graphics there are way better roguelike shooter options. Maybe I’ll be wrong though.

Tbf Returnal has the most gigantic aim assist area in every game ever, you have to see it to believe it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
2 of those games sold over 20M on Playstation. Clearly people out there believe they are good games.
then naturally they should be selling well on PC as well.

Frankly either way the ports will come.
they sell like shit, sony doesn't care because they still make more than they invested into it. they sell well, sony makes far more, gets to fund their upcoming games, and the ports keep coming

Thebonehead

Banned
2 of those games sold over 20M on Playstation. Clearly people out there believe they are good games.

I'm talking the lacklustre games like Sackboy or the cash in that was Miles Morales. That failed on PC as Spiderman had released a few months before and on the PC forums it was like we can just get a mod for that.

Horizon, Spiderman, GOW have done good numbers according to steamDb.

I expect Returnal to do well and would like to think TLOU 1 will do well, but Uncharted didn't seem to resonate with PC gamers. Maybe that genre has faded on PC??

Has Sony said they are disappointed in the performance of these games?
No, but they havent said they like them either. Sackboys big adventures isnt doing them any favors.

How do we know Sonys games aren't selling on PC?

I thought Spider man did Crazy numbers?

The only reason their games wouldn't sell well on PC is the delay IMO.

You cant launch a game a year later and expect 50 to 60 pounds for it, unless it's an absolute banger of a game or I dunno?

Microsoft seems to make it work and consistently sells millions on steam as well as being on Game Pass and the only major difference is they are there day one and on sale within a reasonable time frame. Also big games like sea of thieves and grounded are priced fairly.
Only a couple of games did well. The last I heard about the total revenue of Sony exclusives since Days Gone was released, was a little over 600 million after 5 to 6 games. They arent going to do day and date pc releases or lower the value of their games just because they released years before on console. Its still new, yet 10 dollars cheaper if you havent played it, so that argument holds no weight. A Car from 1968 can still cost 60,000.

You’re mistaken. God of War, Spiderman and Horizon sold quite well on PC.

A Bloodborne port will sell millions. TLOU will sell very well.
Oh I believe they will too, but they wont make any significant amount of money with people gamers scoffing at paying 50.00$ for a port to critically acclaimed games. Like Sony exclsuives and cheap pc spenders dont mix.
Sony's good games do sell well - Their lacklustre games like Sackboy, and the phoned in Miles Morales don't.
Miles Morales is still one of the best selling games after releasing in 2020. Its bigger than a DLC add on and was the first to have raytracing and FSR on consoles. Sackboy big adventure isnt a lack luster indie game.
SONY doesn't realese sales numbers so where are you getting this from? There's noting I've seen that suggests that the heavy hitters they've released so far "failed." This of course ignores that the games ALREADY were sales successes on console. Like what is a "success" to you - selling the same or more on PC than they did on console? That's just silly and was never going to happen.
I got these revenue numbers from Sony themselves and other sources. My estimation is actually higher than what Sony expected. Much less than 600 mill. Nobody is saying these games need to sell 10 mill each, but the ROI might not be there with the current economy. Uncharted, Last of Us and GOW should all sell 5 mill copies each at a minum. If thats tooo much to ask, what are doing here?

https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-expects-to-earn-dollar300-million-from-pc-games-in-the-next-12-months/

It shows that in financial year 2020 Sony made $35 million from PC sales, a number that jumped to $80 million in financial year 2021, which just ended on March 31. The prediction for financial year 2022 is another massive leap, all the way to $300 million in net sales on PC.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Miles Morales is still one of the best selling games after releasing in 2020. Its bigger than a DLC add on and was the first to have raytracing and FSR on consoles. Sackboy big adventure isnt a lack luster indie game.

Sorry I should have qualified I meant on PC - Steam Db and others show it being about 5:1

I'm talking the lacklustre games like Sackboy or the cash in that was Miles Morales. That failed on PC as Spiderman had released a few months before and on the PC forums it was like we can just get a mod for that.

Horizon, Spiderman, GOW have done good numbers according to steamDb.

I expect Returnal to do well and would like to think TLOU 1 will do well, but Uncharted didn't seem to resonate with PC gamers. Maybe that genre has faded on PC??
Miles Morales should have been bundled with Spiderman remastered because all of the PC modding effort was put into the first Spiderman, so they hype for the spinoff wore off, plus its a seperate purchase. I expect Returnal to do well, but Sony needs games like Sackboy Adventure to get some type of traction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom