• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village framerate/resolution info for various platforms

ZywyPL

Banned
45FPS wtf... Lock that to 30 and just add additional option for unlocked framerate for people with VRR TVs. Mark my words, this will be patched very soon, people will flood the internet with complains about the unplayable judder.

Ellery

Will decide how to play when I get the game. I kinda start to like the vibe of that game. Probably just buying it physically for PS5 and go to a friend's place grab a beer and play through it. I did the same with RE VII and it was an absolute blast to play it like that.

Orpheum

I'm actually quite impressed with the new consoles to be honest. Resident Evil 8 looks really good and to pull of 4k60...i didn't expect that

Edit: forgot to say that 45fps is a really odd choice. Especially disappointing to see that there's no 1080p 60 mode for Series S users. Base PS4 should have just been 1080p30 in my opinion

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Well yeah.. but if you want 60fps with Rt enabled then go buy 3080 which costs 3 times the console
Lower the resolution, lower the rt and lock it at 30.

45 is a no go. Its goin go be worse than bloodborn

one thing consoles have unlike pc is perfectly stable framerates.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Have serious doubts about Native 4K with or without Raytracing.

I hope I'm wrong.
If it's the same engine as Re7 I don't see why that wouldn't be achievable.

Plus, how many light sources are you realistically going to have in a Horror. It's not like there's going to be a Sun always present casting light off stuff.

Rob_27

If the devs are relying on VRR they can go F themselves. Not everyone has a display that supports it. I have a LG 65C6, 4k 60 cool 4k 45 not so.

Yet we're expected to put up with what tearing? Or have they come up with a solution to stop the judder?

Optimize it properly or f off.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

source.gif

nowhat

Trying to install the demo on PS5 gives the error message of "Something went wrong" - gee, that's helpful. But also error code CE-106485-4 - I just updated the system software? Oh well, perhaps it's just PS Store being PS Store, I'll try again later.

On a related note, is it just me or is there no longer a dedicated category for demos in the store? At least I can't find one, have to use search.

Matt_Fox

I'm pleased I preordered this on XSX now rather than PS5, due to lack of VRR. (As others have mentioned perhaps this indicates VRR support is imminent for PS5?)

I am curious to see how ray tracing adds to the game, and if its a worthwhile trade for the 15fps differential. At any rate it's good to once again have options to switch between performance and graphics on a console - it seems like this might be a feature of this gen.

GymWolf

People were happy in the past gen with the shitty perfromance mode in some games that flactuate between 30-45 frame all the damn time but they are mad for a 45 locked mode?!

Am i missing something?!

Calverz

That was like,more than 8 months ago, he said Capcom was optimizing the PS5 version and struggling a little, wich could as well mean the 1440p 45fps Ray Tracing profile.

Also to Dusk credit the reveal trailer(supposedly running on PS5) wasn't exactly running like butter 🥞🤷‍♂️

Dont bother mate. Half of them cant read english properly. They See the headlines and make their mind up based on that.

yamaci17

VRR is probably not going to help anyway, most VRR sets have a range that runs from 48-120fps. So the framerate is too low to use it.
A 120 hz screen has practically 0-120 fps sync range if it has LFC.

If it can do anything between 48 and 120 hz, at 45 fps it would just do 90 hz and call it a day.

VRR is a great tech and should be utilized by more TVs.

The actual problem would be for the 48-60 hz tvs. those tvs would disengage the vrr when the framerate drops below 48 so i don't know how they plan to combat that.

With VRR, you don't even need locked frames, you can get anything between 30-60 and vrr will mostly smoothen it out. Unless CPU or GPU is unable to provide even frametimes, that is. VRR can't fix that, and that's why some people do not like variable frame rates and want a locked frame rate. they had bad experiences with xbonex because jaguar cpus couldn't provide a stable frametime with dynamic framerates.

in this case however, the fps limitation would be the GPU, not the CPU, so the frametimes, even dynamically, will be much more stable and more suited for VRR

BWJinxing

Pc master race here.

That is bizzar, 45 fps... I hope you console gamers have a variable refresh rate tv.

I'm still in the Evga queue for a 3080, I might try RT on my 2080 and see how it goes. Running 5120*1440p ultrawide.

OrionNebula

On a related note, is it just me or is there no longer a dedicated category for demos in the store? At least I can't find one, have to use search.
None at the moment, as there’s still very few demos around this gen. I’m sure that’ll be updated along the way

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Unless capcom know something that we dont.
Shouldnt the PS5 just lock to 30fps....or are they expecting the VRR update to show up before or around their launch date.

While a locked FPS is better than bouncing around a locked 45 on a 60Hz screen wont look that great unless it ends up software dropping frames so you feel 45fps but see 30fps.

skit_data

I see a lot of people sigh of relief because they have VRR, but as our official expert Riky Riky says its too low fps for many implementations of VRR to kick in. Really strange choice by devs.

One also has to take into consideration that most people still dont have a VRR capable TV, even if it would work it would still be quite an issue for a very large majority of people

Last edited:
I had a feeling for next gen they were gonna go with the options of 4K/60/RToff or 4K/30/RTon with maybe and option for 1440p/60/RTon.

45fps though? I'll reserve final judgement until Digital Foundry and other analysts get their hands on it, but that seems like a really bad option.

Probably gonna get the game day 1 but won't be touching RT mode.

SkylineRKR

Is there a chance the XSS will be the best version to play in RT mode as its locked to 30 and not some weird ass 45fps?

DaGwaphics

I mean 1080p already looks okay-ish on my 4K TV. I'd much rather prefer 1440p or as high as possible resolution while maintaining rock solid 30FPS. 45FPS must be some late LATE April fools joke. I played at 45FPS before on PC and it makes me want to puke. Very confusing shit. Its like trying to jack off while grabbing a hot chicks ass and staring at a naked Margaret Thatcher. You dunno whether you're coming or going.
For linear story games I prefer 30FPS and every graphics option turned up to 10 where possible. There's no need for 60FPS in this genre.
Multiplayer or shooter games yeah then I'd welcome 60FPS any day of the week.

Going all out at 30fps would be another option, agreed (though I'd rather have the higher fps personally). I was planning on upgrading to a VRR monitor anyway, but I guess that will be a necessity if devs are going to blatantly target VRR usage like this.

I had figured that games would stick to normal fps targets and VRR would be more a benefit in smoothing out any blips during heavy action or DRS stutters, etc.

Markio128

With VRR it makes perfect sense. Smoother than 30
Fair enough. I haven’t got a VRR capable TV, as far as I know. In fact, I didn’t even know VRR existed until recently. If it is useful to some (and maybe to me in the future, when I get a new TV), then it’s all good. I just wish that in the meantime the ray trace mode could be also played at 30 FPS like every other PS5 game that utilises the feature.

j0hnnix

Definitely VRR will help substantially in this case. It's a strange decision at 45fps but getting rt for a console is ok in my book. wouldn't have argued the decision to drop to 1440p.

I'm curious if the decision was due to the PS5 unable to do 1440p and forced parity.

Last edited:

skneogaf

It doesn't sound like it's a locked 45 fps but an average. John from digital foundry just tweeted its more than likely an unlocked 45 fps.

ZywyPL

Banned
Jesus Christ. Why are Sony and MS so SCARED of 1440p? Your consoles aren't strong enough for 4K/60 - they just aren't. Leave the 4K marketing to the Pro models and just go for 1440p.

What do Sony and MS have to do with the dev's illogical choice? But I agree, dunno why all of a sudden all the devs abandoned CBR rendering when it was present in basically every single title a year and two ago on Pro/1X...

Last edited:
Top Bottom