• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil DS announced for NA, more details

resident-evil-deadly-silence-20051021042505448.jpg

Heh, cute :)

Certainly looks better than the PSX version. I'm really impressed with the DS after today, with this and FFIII. It's the little handheld that could.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Reilly said:
please tell me you're joking. :lol
Why? FFIII looks a shitload better than RE DS, and that's real time. We've seen prerendered stuff from ASH, and that's awesome. Why is it so hard to comprehend that this is real time?

Culex

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Why? FFIII looks a shitload better than RE DS, and that's real time. We've seen prerendered stuff from ASH, and that's awesome. Why is it so hard to comprehend that this is real time?

resident-evil-deadly-silence-20051021042456230.jpg

Again, you're telling me those backgrounds are real-time?!

Reilly

Culex said:

duh, Nintendo managed to take screenshots of the game from the exact same camera angle as the original :lol

GaimeGuy

Culex said:

well they certainly don't look much better than the real time stuff we've seen from SE. :)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The new screenshots pretty much confirmed it wasn't realtime. Originally those shitty scans gave it the illusion that it was realtime because the backgrounds looked pixelated. The shadowing on the instruments in the Tyrant background just isn't possible on the DS in 3D at least not yet lol.

well, if it's not all real time, how is it that they're busting out the first person stuff? are you just not allowed to move? or can you only attack in first person in certain parts of the game? i guess im gonna go with the latter.

Culex

Banned
phantomile co. said:
well, if it's not all real time, how is it that they're busting out the first person stuff? are you just not allowed to move? or can you only attack in first person in certain parts of the game? i guess im gonna go with the latter.

I don't know, but there's no way that the background is real time with shadows, yet Tryrant gets an ugly circle shadow.

phantomile co. said:

The FPS sections are only in the beginning of some rooms....so no, certainly not realtime backgrounds.

GaimeGuy

well, the game doesn't look as good as a lot of real time (FFIII, Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart) DS games nor does it look as good as the only confirmed pre rendered game we've seen thus far (ASH).

So either way, it doesn't look good. :p

Morts

I'd buy in a second if the multiplayer is online. Otherwise, I have a feeling I'll pass, because I'll never find anyone to play with.

It's so obviously the game has retained the original pre-rendered graphics for backgrounds, anyone who's played the original and well as realize the hardware that is the DS should know this. It's the character detail that has been surpassed, that they should have updated.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the hell, people still think it's real time? and using the first person view as their reasoning? wtf

it's already been confirmed that the first person parts are at fixed points

http://ds.ign.com/articles/653/653733p1.html

Of course, the most striking use of the stylus comes in the form of knife battles, where the game switches to first person and you use the stylus to slash away at oncoming zombies. While this might suggest that you can switch to first person mode whenever you like, in turn suggesting that pre-rendered backdrops have been done away with, it turns out that the knife battles start up automatically at fixed points -- like when you enter a room, for instance. Finish a knife battle, and you're back in the standard Resident Evil perspective.

jarrod

Banned
phantomile co. said:
were the backrounds ported?

im suprised the game doesn't look a hell of a lot better.
It doesn't need to. On the DS screen those compressed backgrounds will look better than the PS1 original on any TV. Plus the model geometry's way beyond the PSone game.

ToyMachine228 said:
It is certainly going to be a trip playing through the first Resident Evil...PSOne graphics and all after playing Resident Evil 4.

Whats worse is going back to those awful controls, thats why I'm considering not going at all :lol .

Top Bottom