• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

Let us know, when you finally made it through the encounter. ;-)
I had already made it past when I wrote the post, I was just wondering if that was indicative of the game's overall difficulty because I really don't want to get that stuck again.

I will say it scared the crap out of me because you aren't expecting things to get so intense so soon, you encounter literally one or two enemies and then you're being chased by at least a dozen.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Just beat the Dimitrescu castle. Man these 'puzzles' are kicking my ass. Was there ever a hint to spin the deers head around to get the bolt out of the back of its head? I had look at a walkthrough because I had no idea wtf I was missing. I circled back to it after getting all the other masks.

Game is great tho. RE7 was a bit too much and I didn't make it far but the tension in this is about right for me.

GymWolf

For people on pc, can you change the audio and subtitles language in an independent way? Or i need to set windows in eng to have eng voices?!

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I’m buying this for a scare night tonight but am I missing something? A day ago there was reports that Capcom has relaxed the scares for RE8? Was that nonsense then since most people here say it has some of the best scares of any game never mind the RE franchise?

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

Man the second area after the castle. This freaking creepy thing chasing you and the sound of it.

But man i love the game

You have to do a mix of running for your life, buying time with flour sack when enemies are close, hiding a little, killing some enemies using explosive barrels, going to the roof, going to the basement, encounter the big guy with the hammer, if you mix all of that for 4-5 minutes the cutscene will start eventually.

You are not alone, people is having major problems with this part and there is no a simple answer, some people just hided, some just fighted but it seems than mixing things is the right way to start the cut scene.
One thing that seems to help is squeezing off a couple of shots when you first get the shotgun to kill a werewolf, for the longest time I was only using the explosive barrels to kill werewolves and then trying to run away the rest of the time, which was getting me nowhere, the game definitely seems to want you to have kill a few werewolves without just using the explosive barrels.

Despite the frustration this is a phenomenal game, that moment when you first see the castle and the village and hear the castle's eerie bell ringing is phenomenally atmospheric.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Holy shit....I know it’s cross gen but this is a stunning graphical showcase for next gen.

amazingly rich detail, lighting, HDR even if it can be rough around the edges in parts.

just gorgeous

SlimySnake SlimySnake
the game looks phenomenal. The lighting especially in indoor areas looks photorealistic at times.

And yeah. The level of detail in the mansion reminds me of those prerendered backgrounds in the GameCube remakes.

GymWolf

One thing that seems to help is squeezing off a couple of shots when you first get the shotgun to kill a werewolf, for the longest time I was only using the explosive barrels to kill werewolves and then trying to run away the rest of the time, which was getting me nowhere, the game definitely seems to want you to have kill a few werewolves without just using the explosive barrels.

Despite the frustration this is a phenomenal game, that moment when you first see the castle and the village and hear the castle's eerie bell ringing is phenomenally atmospheric.
I was not gonna buy the game because of the shitty gunplay and because i really don't like the first person camera in RE games, but i have too much love for big ass monsters, mutations, cheesy horror stories, gore etc. to pass on this one...i'm such a weak man :lollipop_squinting:

And they fixed the shitty enemy variety in 7, and that alone is a big plus for me (also the similarities with re4 that i love).

Last edited:

SCB3

Just beat the Dimitrescu castle. Man these 'puzzles' are kicking my ass. Was there ever a hint to spin the deers head around to get the bolt out of the back of its head? I had look at a walkthrough because I had no idea wtf I was missing. I circled back to it after getting all the other masks.

Game is great tho. RE7 was a bit too much and I didn't make it far but the tension in this is about right for me.

In RE games, always examine the items thoroughly, been like that since the Original

I've just got to the Windmill Area after that damned big enemy, and all I can say after the Dollhouse is why oh why can Capcom not have the Silent Hill license? And let this team run wild with it, it was amazing

I also fucked myself out of a treasure in that area and cannot go back

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

In RE games, always examine the items thoroughly, been like that since the Original

I've just got to the Windmill Area after that damned big enemy, and all I can say after the Dollhouse is why oh why can Capcom not have the Silent Hill license? And let this team run wild with it, it was amazing

I also fucked myself out of a treasure in that area and cannot go back
can you tell me in spoiler what are the points of no return? i hate not being able to explore and loot an area for that reason, especially when the game is not clear before hand about it.

Madflavor

Went on to youtube, and have a major fucking spoiler show up in a thumbnail under a recommended video. Fucking hell I hate this shit. I haven't even watched that many RE8 videos.

• Empathy

HotPocket69

Banned
The majority of people statistically only do one run with games (a lot don't even complete the first run) so they want the best experience possible and having an actual challenge is fun for many people.

Not everyone love to play a game with zero challenge and Re games on normal are super piss easy usually.

What you say is only valid for people who do multiple runs on games, but people like me are never gonna play their first and only run at polygon level difficulty just to feel OP and ruin any suspence, exploration and sense of progression...

It doesn’t ruin any if that lol but do you boo boo

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
can you tell me in spoiler what are the points of no return? i hate not being able to explore and loot an area for that reason, especially when the game is not clear before hand about it.
it is story progression. Before the final part plays out. Each area except a few block you from returning the way you came. That might mean you can’t back track, but progressing further puts you in a position to where you can’t go backwards. I’d say get before you fight that area’s boss. You would need to start out from the beginning and then travel back to that area

I finished it and I had a blast. Some crazy moments. It makes me wonder what they’ll do with RE9 considering
they jump way into the future with Rose and it makes me wonder about what happen to Leon, Claire, Jill, etc
I’m doing a second playthrough at the moment.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It doesn’t ruin any if that lol but do you boo boo
Oh yes, having a shitton of ammo and enemies who die more easily and do far less damage doesn't make exploration, loot and sense of progression almost mute and completely kill the suspense of being killed, sure, tell that to yourself...

HotPocket69

Banned
Oh yes, having a shitton of ammo and enemies who die more easily and do far less damage doesn't make exploration, loot and sense of progression almost mute and completely kill the suspense of being killed, sure, tell that to yourself...

Sure it might ease up on suspense depending on the player, but it doesn’t kill exploration or progression. You have no idea what you’re talking about lol

Enjoy your big balls and dying over and over, playa

Last edited:
I'm still trying to find the "Resident Evil" part of the game, I'm fragging some completely random cyborgs in the meantime tho.
wahwalking through doors is a nod to the first game. It's in a new mansion. Pistol and shotgun. Crit headshots, crafting items, a shop to buy upgrades. I haven't gotten very far but it feels RE to me even in first person.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sure it might ease up on suspense depending on the player, but it doesn’t kill exploration or progression. You have no idea what you’re talking about lol

Enjoy your big balls and dying over and over, playa
You explore to find stuff to sell for upgrades or to find new weapons or ammo etc.

If the game is piss easy, all of this has less value because you are not struggling or having any challenge so when you upgrade it's less meaningful compared to a guy that is having an hard time with the game.

It's the reason why milions of people play at hardest difficulty (or at least above easy\normal) and basic videogame logic, if you struggle you enjoy an upgrade much more.

It's not a question of big balls, i'm terrible with many games and i'm probably gonna die a lot in this one too and i have no problem admitting this, i'm not a 5 years old, i don't like to play hard to brag on the internet.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Get used to that, the game has quite a few places where that happens and you can miss stuff. I'm not at the end so maybe someone can correct me though. Several areas you kinda get segued into a direction without warning. I missed loads of things at the outside area at the start, not sure if I can go back from the castle later but havent been able to so far.

TaRFWLk.jpg

What year is it ?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished. Loved it.
J3nga J3nga yes. Even on 3080, I had to reload to menu and back to game from time to time.
I Liked most of it aside from the "doll" section/boss. It's shit. More crap like Lucas section from 7. Why do they feel the need to include this crap? Oh you have no weapons, see visions, it's all changing and you have to hide in the close. It's some indie crap but does not fit here.
Aside from that, most other stuff was great!

I have some questions, critique and completion time below. The game was not too short at all. The length is just right. Wtf are people saying it was too short?!
So if anyone knows the answers:

Took me 11 hours ingame time, 16 hours steam time. Weird as I did not leave steam running and I just played the game.
-What is the giant myocyte baby in the end? Is that a virus that was just always living there? Like ancient virus? so then why it looks like a baby?
-What is up with that giant baby having dna of all dead people?! what? Or all people it killed?
-I understand Miranda just found the virus 100 years ago
-Spencer is involved or not? It said he rejected all Miranda's crap so all other games are based on Africa virus strand

MOST IMPORTANT:
-Mia is fully human(healed in 7), Ethan is molded (but does not regenerate fingers... and can live without a heart). So why their baby is said to be so powerful ? what is happening ?!
edit: Still not as good as 4 and R2make... but close. Maybe it will grow on me as the time goes
edit2: WTF WOULD THEY STILL INSIST ON HIDDING ETHAN FACE?! WHAT IS THE POINT

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I see that on console, some of the reflection are cube maps instead of raytracing...

I’m playing on PS5 and having great fun. I’ve done the first Boss now back outside again.
I love shotguns and the one in this is what I try always to make ammo for. A good game so far.

wzy

This game is hot dogshit and the comparison to RE4 is insulting. It's worse in every way! Less dynamic combat, more scripted encounters, smaller levels, fewer enemies, less content, and even worse writing/dialogue which is a very low bar to be tripping on. Then again that was also true of the last big time RE4 rip-off, TLOU, and morons are still raving about that one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished. Loved it.
J3nga J3nga yes. Even on 3080, I had to reload to menu and back to game from time to time.
I Liked most of it aside from the "doll" section/boss. It's shit. More crap like Lucas section from 7. Why do they feel the need to include this crap? Oh you have no weapons, see visions, it's all changing and you have to hide in the close. It's some indie crap but does not fit here.
Aside from that, most other stuff was great!

I have some questions, critique and completion time below. The game was not too short at all. The length is just right. Wtf are people saying it was too short?!
So if anyone knows the answers:

Took me 11 hours ingame time, 16 hours steam time. Weird as I did not leave steam running and I just played the game.
-What is the giant myocyte baby in the end? Is that a virus that was just always living there? Like ancient virus? so then why it looks like a baby?
-What is up with that giant baby having dna of all dead people?! what? Or all people it killed?
-I understand Miranda just found the virus 100 years ago
-Spencer is involved or not? It said he rejected all Miranda's crap so all other games are based on Africa virus strand

MOST IMPORTANT:
-Mia is fully human(healed in 7), Ethan is molded (but does not regenerate fingers... and can live without a heart). So why their baby is said to be so powerful ? what is happening ?!
edit: Still not as good as 4 and R2make... but close. Maybe it will grow on me as the time goes
edit2: WTF WOULD THEY STILL INSIST ON HIDDING ETHAN FACE?! WHAT IS THE POINT
They said it was because they wanted you “the player” to feel like you we’re Ethan. He is a regular civilian and not a cop/hero type.

wzy

When I was playing last night I picked up a pair of car keys and, since they looked funny, I examined them and found there was a screw driver hidden in a sheath attached to the car keys. Then I walked 1.5 feet to my right and found a note that said: "Looking for the screwdriver? Perhaps you should examine the car keys!" and that's when I quit.

They said it was because they wanted you “the player” to feel like you we’re Ethan. He is a regular civilian and not a cop/hero type.

The game has a throwaway line right at the very beginning where Ethan says "Ah, good thing Chris has trained me, so I can be a cop/hero type now. Please also see that I have a military handbook on my bookshelf."

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fuck. Uninstalling.

I don't even feel like sharing my experience anymore. So much whining about the technical stuff and wannabe hardcore game design analyst being overwhelmingly negative to show how knowledgeable they are. So off putting.. And I know I'm not alone in seeing this.

Btw I'm having a blast! 😉

Last edited:

Neff

Finished it last night. Absolutely loved it. Might be the shortest time I've finished a RE title in (slightly less than ten hours) but the fact that there's such a staggering amount to see and do is a testament to how excellently paced and hands-on it is for the player. Once the game gets going, it barely stops to catch a breath. There's almost zero downtime, it's all good.

Thoughts

+ This is RE7 times ten, in all the best ways. In fairness it has the double advantage of both springboarding from that game's established format, and enjoying the benefit of player feedback, which you can see in very facet of the game. Everything good from 7 is better, and everything bad is heavily improved or gone entirely.
+ More enemy types, more location variety, more exploration, more weapons, more gameplay styles. RE7 took the 'less is more' approach after 6's excess, and it worked for that game. Village leans towards the 'more is more' approach and never lets up.
+ This is by far the weirdest and creepiest RE yet.
+ The sense of adventure is incredible. Exploration and paying attention always pays off, even in unexpected ways. There's tons of great stuff you can easily miss (which I have, I'm looking forward to playing again and figuring out where I didn't look). The map design is incredibly intricate and packed full of secrets.
+ For the most part, it looks absolutely fucking stunning, particularly the interiors and character models. Terrific lighting.
+ Modern updates on vintage monsters from classic literature is a welcome and novel idea.
+ High replay value is apparent already.
+ Much bigger budget means the game is stretched less thinly than 7.
+ Way, WAY better written than 7.
+ Ethan doesn't completely suck anymore!
+ In many ways it's first person RE4, and the nostalgia here for that game is strong and replicated with love.
+ Chris still smokes cigarettes! A nice nod to RE1.
+ Easily the best game Capcom has created with the RE Engine so far.

- Miranda is a weak villain who basically just turns up at the end to become a Bloodborne boss. I feel like she needed more of her own 'area' to convey her personality like the other bosses did. She basically has a single room lab with a massive lore dump and that's it.
- Umbrella's role in the game feels under-utilised and shoehorned in for the sake of it (nothing new there), but it was still pretty cool nonetheless.
- No actual lab to speak of, despite decades of research and experimentation taking place.
- Played on PS5 which apparently circumvents loading issues (no idea how this is done on PS4), but there was still a bit of palpable chugging while streaming in new sections.
- The intro was kind of weak. Ethan's cosy home life and that eventless trudge in poor visibility until reaching the village both went on a little too long. This is one aspect where RE7 was actually better.
- It peaks early with the castle imo. A minor complaint, as most of my complaints are, because the game is still otherwise superb.

Fantastic. The best RE in many years.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fuck. Uninstalling.

Compare the combined threads regarding technical disussion about this game which is over 1300 posts to the OT that has 300 or so. To be fair the game hasn't been out long and I'm sure participation in the latter will rise but you can see where the emphasis lies for the bulk of posters...

Whatever, I just felt compelled sharing this observation. Back to soiling my pants!!!

💩

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I wish I started on hardcore. Its way, way too easy otherwise. I want to loot everything, and if you do that, and save up combined treasure parts until complete, you can max out each time easily. Add up food buffs, and you're unstoppable.

People complaining about the enemies having high defense? The second handgun 3 shot lycans when aimed at the head. Unupgraded. I feel its getting even easier with better weapons.

Neff

I wish I started on hardcore. Its way, way too easy otherwise.

I did normal with the reticle disabled so it kind of balanced out. I sometimes did feel like it was a little easy, but I stopped myself from being autistic about picking up every resource and treasure and becoming too strong. I still have hardcore to look forward to for that, which apparently doesn't mess around.

ssringo

Anyone in here playing this thing on pc with a 2070super? Any change of getting 1440p60?!
I have a 2080 Super. Rock solid 1440/60 with most stuff turned on/up to max including RT. Only had one drop under 60 during a boss fight and a certain attack. RT didn't seem to bring anything amazing to next run I'll turn that off and see if I get the same performance drop.

Spoiler for boss and attack: The deformed dude that turns into a sea monster. His attack that launches damaging rain all over had a big performance drop.

SkylineRKR

I also feel the Dumitrescu family is the star of this game. The rest doesn't live up to her house.

The other bosses are just there. They're essentially highlighted targets for you to get your child back. Dumitrescu had lots of run ins with you and you ultimately took her daughters life which enraged her. I wouldn't mind having to duke it out with her for the majority of the game, Mr.X or Nemesis style. She's way better than the others, and not just because dat ass.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I did normal with the reticle disabled so it kind of balanced out. I sometimes did feel like it was a little easy, but I stopped myself from being autistic about picking up every resource and treasure and becoming too strong. I still have hardcore to look forward to for that, which apparently doesn't mess around.

This is more or less my approach as well. Although the reasons behind said approach stems from relieving stress regarding the 2spoopy4me category rather than the overall gameplay difficulty aspect. That's my only hurdle. If the spoopy aspect doesn't seems to be an issue in the end I'll replay it on the most difficult mode for the challenge. In RE7 Marguerite made it to intens to replay it without losing years of my life lol. Well easy and normal on screen, third time in VR I had to stop when her segment started

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When I was playing last night I picked up a pair of car keys and, since they looked funny, I examined them and found there was a screw driver hidden in a sheath attached to the car keys. Then I walked 1.5 feet to my right and found a note that said: "Looking for the screwdriver? Perhaps you should examine the car keys!" and that's when I quit.

The game has a throwaway line right at the very beginning where Ethan says "Ah, good thing Chris has trained me, so I can be a cop/hero type now. Please also see that I have a military handbook on my bookshelf."
Yeah, the author of that book is the brother of the owner of the gun store in RE2. He is still a regular type of guy. I read that in an article not too long ago. Even Leon was a rookie cop in RE2. Actually, Ethan would probably be like Claire in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

wzy

I would say Ethan is more like the character Joel, from the videogame "The Last of Us" in that he's a father who will do anything it takes and brave any horror to rescue his child. Compelling stuff. He was definitely written by someone who cares a great deal about quality and my guess is without any input or interference at all from the one of the games 50 producers.

Last edited:
I guess you never played the old Resi games, as they were really not difficult in terms of skill. Those games were tough in a different way, due to the puzzles and ammo conservation. If you played smart the actual gameplay was a walk in the park, I mean you can run past half the mobs in them for a start.

Casual mode in this is for people who want to enjoy the game without much stress, then go up a notch in subsequent playthroughs, another staple of the franchise you would be familiar with had you actually played them.
I've been playing Resi since day one, buddy - when it came out on those big ugly PlayStation boxes before they moved to jewel cases. Remember those? Probably not.
Anyway, I'm not sure why you're being so abrasive because you're actually agreeing with me - the old Resi games (specifically, RE1&2) were tough due to ammo conservation. Ammo conservation is something that is completely gone in Normal and lower difficulties in modern RE games. As I said, RE2R Hardcore was the closest thing to that old feeling of being strapped for ammo (and saves, for that matter). I thought RE8 Hardcore would be similarly difficult in ammo conservation, but alas... look at this screenshot I took WHILE fighting the final boss (in other words, I've used up quite a few rounds already):
dn4rLSw.jpg

(Not pictured: dozens of crafting materials to make EVEN MORE ammo)

And lastly, your bit about subsequent playthroughs is a false equivalence because you and I both know there WERE NO DIFFICULTY SETTINGS in RE1&2. Your reward for getting through the hard and DEFAULT difficulty was an easier subsequent run on that SAME default difficulty.
The goal wasn't to play through on the easiest setting and then make the Hard modes trivial, because that wasn't an option back then. But like I said, you're free to do so and no one's going to judge you for it. But don't be an ass and act like "hurr durr Hardcore on first run is for your gamer cred" or whatever that other moron said.

ANYWAY, moving on from such petty bullshit: final playtime on my first Hardcore playthrough was 10:45 (I like to explore, okay?!), with a literal fuckton of ammo and crafting materials to make more (as pictured above). Overall I had a great time with the game, but I must admit that I prefer RE7's approach to survival horror (i.e. RE1-style, as opposed to RE4). But I understand this is the way the franchise must go, because it's what the masses what.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

RE3 had a Hard mode though. Which was weird, as Easy gave you an arsenal from the get go but blocked you from getting all powerful with extra weapons and even infinite ammo. On Hard it was very tough at the start, esp. if you wanted to beat Nemesis the first few times also. But got easier with the Desert Eagle (which was a very effective zombie killer) onward. Its too bad Hard probably scared off lots of players not realizing it was actually the same as RE1 and RE2's difficulty.

I guess RE1 DC had Arrange mode, which I admit I never beat. The zombies were crazy fast and deadly.

Last edited:
RE3 had a Hard mode though. Which was weird, as Easy gave you an arsenal from the get go but blocked you from getting all powerful with extra weapons and even infinite ammo. On Hard it was very tough at the start, esp. if you wanted to beat Nemesis the first few times also. But got easier with the Desert Eagle (which was a very effective zombie killer) onward. Its too bad Hard probably scared off lots of players not realizing it was actually the same as RE1 and RE2's difficulty.

I guess RE1 DC had Arrange mode, which I admit I never beat. The zombies were crazy fast and deadly.
When I say classic RE I specifically mean RE1 & 2. Nemesis was always a weird one, which is part of the reason why it led to an even weirder Remake. From what I remember, the difficulty in original RE3 (for me) was getting those damn dodges right in the Nemesis fights lol

And yeah I don't recall much of the Director's Cut, aside from that awful Basement theme.. unfortunately.

Last edited:

SCB3

I'm approaching the end I may finish it later tonight, definitely by Sunday, I'm hooked! But the Demitrscu Castle is the star of the show here, its the longest part so far and really is a stand out, I kinda wish the game stayed in this castle tbh

SkylineRKR

When I say classic RE I specifically mean RE1 & 2. Nemesis was always a weird one, which is part of the reason why it led to an even weirder Remake. From what I remember, the difficulty in original RE3 (for me) was getting those damn dodges right in the Nemesis fights lol

And yeah I don't recall much of the Director's Cut, aside from that awful Basement theme.. unfortunately.

I could never pull those off consistently in the original but I never trained them. I could usually barely beat the first nemesis fight with the ammo I saved up by evading most fights in the opening. In Remake the evade is godly though, especially when I ran through a pack and did 3 in a row.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really enjoying this game so far, in the castle and collecting the needed items. I've not found combat too hard but I love the overall atmosphere. this game is bloody gorgeous and I feel it's seeping with atmosphere. Can't wait to play more in a few hours.

Top Bottom