• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Finished it now, easy 9/10 i wanted more exploration and secrets

You can tell what RE9 will be about from the ending

Nice part is they have so many ways to tackle it. A lot of time will have passed since 8 to 9.

Can go do a first person dual lead campaign with two scenarios for each character like RE1 or RE 2.

That's the best way to top this. Give people more time to enjoy a classic RE character like Chris, Leon, Jill etc. And then throw in the new.

Hell could even go return character plays third person, and new one is first person to appease everyone.

Excess

But you haven't played it yet, so...

H7jSzUc.jpg

demigod

I hate you Amazon. Hopefully i get my copy tomorrow, doubt it though. Getting the PS5 version first, will double dip for PC later.

GymWolf

Damn this guy is like a broken record

Diversity analyst in his tag is all you need to know about the guy...

Last edited:
I was legit scared for a moment there. Bravo.
I guess being chased by something monstrous in the dark awakens a primal fear.

So far, really enjoying it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Is there an option for tank controls as well as 1st person, 3rd person, and over-the-shoulder view (RE4's view) ????

GymWolf

There is extra encounters if you look for them that are not mandatory to advance the story , though I imagine anyone exploring will run into these encounters.

The graveyard tombstone needing the plaque for example has an encounter with a big Tyrant axe leaping dude. Massive bullet sponge.

There is another one of him in another spot, as well as an extra encounter with a big bad ass Lycan you don't have to fight.
Do they provide interesting loot if you kill them?

Not gonna waste half my bullets just to unlock a stupid throphy on steam...

Shouta

Finished on Standard in about 9 hours. Great game overall and definitely reminds me of RE4 a lot. I really liked how they designed everything around the village and you end up seeing every inch of it. My biggest beef is that the game really needed one more big area for the run to the end of the game instead of what we got. Another section would have been much better to get the story across and would have made the actual final fight feel grand.

HAL-01

Guys, is it normal, that activated HDR results in a way to dark experience and even lower FPS (PS5)?
The in-game brightness settings are borked, you should find a tutorial online to let you know how to set it up properly in HDR

For everyone else, this one is great (SDR)

All recent re games look dark and washed out out-of-the-box, don’t know why capcom keeps doing this

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How do you know when to fight and when to run?!

Like with the
mosquito sisters

I fought like 95% of all enemies I encountered. It's way more RE4 than it is RE1-3.

When [characters] are chasing you as you're exploring you don't fight, though, it won't do anything.

GymWolf

I fought like 95% of all enemies I encountered. It's way more RE4 than it is RE1-3.

When [characters] are chasing you as you're exploring you don't fight, though, it won't do anything.
So you just run and hide in some closet in these occasions?

I'm sorry but i rarely play games where you run from enemies like outlast so i'm not very used.

P.s. are on hardcore mode?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So you just run and hide in some closet in these occasions?

I'm sorry but i rarely play games where you run from enemies like outlast so i'm not very used.

P.s. are on hardcore mode?

Nah I just played normal. I got through that castle section so quickly that there were barely any occasions I ran into the people chasing me, but yeah, just run. You'll know when you have to fight them.

Lanrutcon

Spoiler free opinion:

It was...interesting. This is the RE5 to RE7's RE4 (if you follow that). The usual RE setpieces in a very atmospheric setting, finetuned and streamlined, wrapped around a reaaaaally dumb story (Never change, Capcom writing!). Of the 2 revelations in the game only 1 was a surprise (the game acted like the other was, but we all called it from early in RE7). The voice acting was superb, the boss fights weren't bad and the exploration was fun. I'm kinda worried that RE9 will continue to push further into shooter territory (RE8 has as much shooter DNA as it does survival horror), but we'll see. I think RE8 has a nice balance between the two worlds.

I'm not sure it breaks into the top 3 RE games ever, but I guess a case could be made for top 5.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The in-game brightness settings are borked, you should find a tutorial online to let you know how to set it up properly in HDR

For everyone else, this one is great (SDR)

All recent re games look dark and washed out out-of-the-box, don’t know why capcom keeps doing this

I feel they do that to avoid crushing black detail that would not be visible on SDR lcd moniors.
When You turn on HDR, black depth is great so they assume you have fald/oled display. Thei HDR calibration was good in REngine always. This game too.
Or they just don't give a shit about sdr presentation... but I don't think so. Their every game has this raised black level sdr thing

s-bojan

Banned
I really liked the game.
It was way more diverse than I've expected. There are parts that reminded me of Metro games, PT, God of War...one segment even looked like it is from that early RE4 beta build.
Capcom's planned worked. I will buy this again when psvr2 version is released.

Last edited:

Krizalidx11

Banned
Playing on PC max graphics i couldn't unsee the pop-in in the final boss battle, that whole sequence got tons of pop-ins even in some cut-scenes, it's a cross gen titles after all

Now I'm more into the meat of the game I'm really enjoying it.

Buuuuuuuuuut there are some things that are bugging me, frankly the combat is kind of terrible, you can tell the Japanese aren't experts in first shooters and they didn't really think it through to have the game play just like 7 but with much faster enemies, combat encounters are boiling down to me frantically firing in a panic and chaotically running around, throwing my hands up hoping I don't get sucker punched my some monster in incredibly cramped environments, yeah it's scary, but it's also very frustrating, especially when you miss, wasting shotgun shells in a Resident Evil game should be against the Geneva convention lmao, this is hardly the precision aiming of RE4, it's not even like RE2 Remake, it's honestly kind of bad to be brutally honest and is marring an otherwise really cool game with a lot of extremely cool stuff in it, again I can't help but feel I made a mistake picking Hardcore, maybe Normal is more balanced but it's too late to turn back now.

Maybe I'll get the hang of it and "git gud" but it could have been a lot better, the game is basically getting by on atmosphere and the atmosphere is really great, but the lack of music really bothers me, why can't we have atmospheric music anymore and why does it have to almost always be dead silence? The castle is really begging for music.

Basically this game in being so similar to the Resident Evils of old in style, is also really driving the point home how much video games have changed, I don't really get why we have to move so far away from the old formula, I don't really get why we can't have cinematic camera angles and music, it just makes me long for the old days.

I felt RE2 Remake struck the best balance between the old and the new and I don't understand why Capcom felt like they had to continue 7's style instead of let RE2 Remake set the standard for 8.

Still, part of me does feel like I'm being a sour puss and being too hard on this game because to some degree I haven't had this much fun playing a game in years, but it is a little flawed.

Freeman76

After the castle it gets really good, I didnt enjoy the opening 2 hours at all but at this point im hooked and will steam through this in a couple of sessions

xrnzaaas

The game was good, but I feel like they crammed too many ideas into a single game. You don't spend that much the time in the main part of the village, the castle bit is also too short...
killing three daughters is done pretty quickly and avoiding Lady Dimitrescu like Mr.X takes place during short part of the story

I liked the boss fights, the overall visuals and some of the later environments (especially the last location you visit before the finale). The ending was also satisfying.

RE8 unfortunately lacks proper horror bits, this was particularly disappointing after remembering how strong of an opening RE7 has had. Overall it was an enjoyable game, but I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Y'all too funny

28-1620503840-977728912.jpeg
Capcom messed up Mia here

She look much better in 7, i duno this one look nice but look like a different person

But at least they fix chris

Chris in 7 is awful totally unrecognizable

I dont understand Capcom they have very poor character consistency

The only resident evil character that look pretty consistent from time to time is Leon

Last edited:
Followed up my initial Hardcore run with a Casual + Knives Only + Sub 3 Hour Run. Managed to do it in 2 hours and 30 minutes (and change). Pretty fun - took me back to the last time I did a knife only run in REmake. The only part that sucked was the second the last boss, because it was a good 10 minutes of nonstop slashing lol. My poor left mouse button...

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished. Gameplay, graphics etc are incredible. Story, writing and voice acting are beyond embarrassing at this point. Seriously, at points I was glad I was playing alone.

Solid 8/10, maybe boosted to 8.5 for the Alien Covenant homage.

SkylineRKR

The game was good, but I feel like they crammed too many ideas into a single game. You don't spend that much the time in the main part of the village, the castle bit is also too short...
killing three daughters is done pretty quickly and avoiding Lady Dimitrescu like Mr.X takes place during short part of the story

I liked the boss fights, the overall visuals and some of the later environments (especially the last location you visit before the finale). The ending was also satisfying.

RE8 unfortunately lacks proper horror bits, this was particularly disappointing after remembering how strong of an opening RE7 has had. Overall it was an enjoyable game, but I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Yeah she's very much a

Mr.X lite. She chases you for a very small portion in the castle, I think its after you beat 2 daughters? She also doesn't rubberband you and she doesn't react when you fire off your gun nor does she enter puzzle rooms and the such. Its almost like a little nod to Mr.X and Nemesis. She's almost harmless, though it seems you can't temporarily down her. But its never needed. The castle has much more wiggle room anyway, you can easily run around her. She did kill me though, after the scripted part when she slices your hand off. I tried to use heals and she stabbed me again.

The dread with Mr.X was that he would always fuck me over at the library, while I was moving the shelves. I didn't want to waste ammo so I ran around, tried to get rid of him etc. He would also enter the room with the storage lockers, so I couldn't open them at leisure. Such things were cool.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
First half is good, second half is ok, does get a bit boring. Ethan being the most boring mainline playable character doesn't help either, at least I'm glad what happened to him in the end. Best part is the 20 minutes sequence in that corridor with the baby thing, the only real tense moment. Castle lady is fun and entertaining, otthers quite forgettable. Wish I'd get it on sale.

If they go back to 3rd person angle RE9 could see some nice outfits mods like RE2 remake for that likely main character, certainly makes me a bit more excited for the next one.
It'll pretty much have to be third person otherwise we won't see that
Rose is wearing Ethan's ICONIC jacket

Neff

I will say that Lady D gave me a holy shit moment when she followed me out into the courtyard. I thought I'd be safe from her and I wasn't expecting her to just waltz outdoors like that.

I actually appreciated how the stalker-type enemies in this game aren't necessarily glued to you at all times. They wander, they do their own thing, they can be shaken off. They generate tension and better scares when they do appear as a result, and feel more like characters to be outwitted as opposed to a persistent braindead hitbox doggedly chasing you. This is how you do it.

Damn this guy is like a broken record

Fuck's sake, I knew who that was going to be before I even clicked it. Dude seriously needs help.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Gane is very well optimized. Playing at my gf house with shitty lappy, 1050 run is smooth at medium settings.

SCB3

I hope there is DLC, I have a major urge to replay this after finishing, I've not had that feeling since the first Mass Effect (Ironically also out this week) I dunno if that's just cause Returnal is still kicking my ass

Top Bottom