• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 users are hardcore: “Large majority” played Resident Evil 8 in VR

Draugoth

Gold Member

This was revealed by Director of VR Mode Kazuhiro Takahara in an email exchange with UploadVR.

“I can’t share exact numbers, but I have heard that a very large majority of PS VR2 owners have played Resident Evil Village in VR.”

The VR mode was released at the launch of the Playstation VR 2 as a free DLC for owners of the Standard Edition or Gold Edition of Resident Evil Village. The game is one of the launch highlights of the Playstation VR 2.

Here’s what my MIXED colleague Jan had to say about the game in his review of Resident Evil Village VR:

“Resident Evil Village surpasses almost every other PSVR 2 game in terms of scope, depth of gameplay, and richness of detail. Occasionally, bumpy transitions or glitches show that the game was not designed for VR. Still, the immersion is great, thanks to the stunning scenery, and the game is remarkably well adapted to the PSVR 2’s capabilities.”

Resident Evil 7 was also a hit on PSVR 1​

The VR mode of its predecessor, Resident Evil 7, was also very popular. According to a Capcom statistic, more than one million PSVR 1 players at least tried it out. The first Playstation VR sold over five million units, according to Sony.

Those hoping to see the Resident Evil Village DLC or Mercenary mode get the VR treatment will be disappointed: According to Takahara, there are currently no plans to make this content available in VR.

According to Takahara says the VR port was a “tremendous amount of effort”. The main story mode, he says, was not developed with virtual reality in mind. “The game contained a lot of elements that made adapting it to VR a very difficult project,” says Takahara.

Another major challenge was rendering Resident Evil Village at a high resolution and a stable 60 frames per second, which Takahara says took “a lot of effort”. By using foveated rendering and reprojection, Capcom was able to achieve a smooth gameplay experience.

VR was the only reason I finished RE7 so it doesn't surprise me that with an even more fleshed out VR mode in RE8 people would flock to that. This also kind of shows why VR is in such a rut. You have all these "made for VR" indie games that are basically super short and low budget, and that's not what people want. We want our RE7/8s, we want our Half-Life Alyxs, we want real games with lengthy campaigns and good graphics. From day one VR's biggest problem wasn't hardware, it was the lack of a truly killer app game.

Olimbox

Neo Member
IMHO Sony is missing a big opportunity here. The hardware is amazing, but where is the new AstroBot, which was VR game of the year? Where is Uncharted playable in VR, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, Returnal, Last of Us and Spiderman? Just make the games playable in VR as they are, as Sony did for GT7.
No need to fancy VR controls, and interaction waving your arms around and punching walls and TVs, just make us feel immersed in those amazing worlds and Sony would sell headsets like pancakes :) (very expensive pancakes..)

Last edited:

Crayon

They did more than I expected adapting it to vr. I had never played re8 before and it feels close enougn to a dedicated vr game to me. The exception is you can't pick up and throw every loose piece clutter. You actually miss that a bit because it's sort of expected in vr. So that is a notable vestige of playing a game originally made for the vast majority of people playing flat. You can't do that in the flat version anyway so it's not like you lost anything. But that is really a tiny compromise compared to not getting any aaa game at all.

I don't want to get all blasphemous here, but when I finally get to play alyx either on this or pc (i've been very patient...) I'm wondering how much better it can really be. Right now it's on a pedestal as the pride of pc games but if it makes it to psvr I expect it to be suddenly viewed as some old game lol. RE8 and GT7 are both top tier. It's like we went from one to three really astonishing aaa vr games overnite. I will not be surprised if alyx turns out to be the best one but I'm not beleiving anyone that says it's in another league and not comparable.

Last edited:

ABnormal

I’m all for more standard games getting the VR treatment, but please can we have one that isn’t a horror game?
A couple of games that I think would be tremendous in VR are GTAV and Cyberpunk. Who wouldn’t want to play those in VR?!
Make it happen Sony!
The more the better! I dream of a future where any game has its VR mode. After all, it can be used with first person, third person, cockpit games, RTSs, etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
IMHO Sony is missing a big opportunity here. The hardware is amazing, but where is the new AstroBot, which was VR game of the year? Where is Uncharted playable in VR, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, Returnal, Last of Us and Spiderman? Just make the games playable in VR as they are, as Sony did for GT7.
No need to fancy VR controls, and interaction waving your arms around and punching walls and TVs, just make us feel immersed in those amazing worlds and Sony would sell headsets like pancakes :) (very expensive pancakes..)

So if Sony ties up their AAA studios making VR games for a niche peripheral, what happens to the library for the vast majority of owners?

Sometimes, there’s a reason things aren’t happening

It will take more than that to convince me VR is worth it. I tried it early on. It's very meh for me. I feel like a vocal minority like to pretend VR is the next big thing when it's actually a very different experience to normal gaming. It should be treated as a completely different thing not the next thing. It won't be the next thing.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Just a quick shout out to Draugoth who's always on top of things the MINUTE something relevant comes up in our gaming realm.

XXL

If it wasn't for Pavlov I'd probably have played it too... if it was too hardcore at some point the VR2 would just be sitting in a corner.

Pavlov is the best VR2 game. No contest.
my man denzel GIF

Minsc

Gold Member
They did more than I expected adapting it to vr. I had never played re8 before and it feels close enougn to a dedicated vr game to me. The exception is you can't pick up and throw every loose piece clutter. You actually miss that a bit because it's sort of expected in vr. So that is a notable vestige of playing a game originally made for the vast majority of people playing flat. You can't do that in the flat version anyway so it's not like you lost anything. But if that is really a tiny compromise compared to not getting any aaa game at all.

I don't want to get all blasphemous here, but when I finally get to play alyx either on this or pc (i've been very patient...) I'm wondering how much better it can really be. Right now it's on a pedestal as the pride of pc games but if it makes it to psvr I expect it to be suddenly viewed as some old game lol. RE8 and GT7 are both top tier. It's like we went from one to three really astonishing aaa vr games overnite. I will not be surprised if alyx turns out to be the best one but I'm not beleiving anyone that says it's in another league and not comparable.

I have seen people describe it as great but the combat isn't as difficult/challenging as RE8 because it doesn't ever throw as many enemies at once at you or have them be as aggressive / dangerous. I also think RE8 is more detailed than Alyx - I'm constantly amazed at how intricate stuff is rendered. Like the laptop in the church, you'd think they'd just stick a texture over the thing but every single key is modeled in 3D and labeled, and that's just par for the course, the level of detail in RE8 is unmatched imo. Just a shame everything is static, but that's the rules of the game, so look but don't touch!

Romulus

The game is gorgeous in VR, and you can really appreciate the details much more.

I routinely spend several minutes looking at each room, whereas without VR I wouldn't even stop to look or care after a quick pan from left to right.

It's a gamechanger.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I adore resi village.

Would love to know numbers. If I picked up a psvr2 I'd 100 percent be playing this game.

phant0m

I played all of RE VII in VR and wouldn't have it any other way. One of my top gaming experiences of all time.

A real shame they canned the PC release of it.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Games like GT7 and RE8 are the killer apps for VR imo.

Sure, it doesn't expand the casual audience, and it doesn't really show the unique strengths of VR.

But they show VR is far more than just gimmic experiences. These feel like an actual proper games.
The amount of polish, detail and content is simply unmatched compared to VR only games.

It may not be the first game you're gonna show to your mates, but it's the games that is gonna keep you playing VR over time.

Ansphn

Last edited:

Justin9mm

They did more than I expected adapting it to vr. I had never played re8 before and it feels close enougn to a dedicated vr game to me. The exception is you can't pick up and throw every loose piece clutter. You actually miss that a bit because it's sort of expected in vr. So that is a notable vestige of playing a game originally made for the vast majority of people playing flat. You can't do that in the flat version anyway so it's not like you lost anything. But that is really a tiny compromise compared to not getting any aaa game at all.

I have PCVR, I own Alyx and have played it at very high settings. I also have PSVR2 with RE8 and GT7 and Alyx looks graphically better to me through my Quest 2 headset than GT7 and RE8 on PSVR2. Its a very very polished full fledged VR experience. It looks unbelievably good for a VR game and plays extremely well being built exclusively as a VR game. Alyx was my baseline for comparing PCVR to PSVR2. I personally don't feel the PSVR2 is a big step up. It has great features, nice OLED screen etc. But what good is that when you don't have games like Alyx, once you experience it, it's hard to be impressed by other VR games, it has set a bar of what a AAA VR game is.

Minsc

Gold Member
Here you go - it will also be free

That's not RE7 VR though. Even though it's something I'll find even better, would be nice to see RE7 VR as well.

Ansphn

That's not RE7 VR though. Even though it's something I'll find even better, would be nice to see RE7 VR as well.
Oh damn. Not sure why i thought you were talking about RE4. I might have been half asleep when i replied to that.

SeraphJan

aclar00

RE8 has been my go to though. While I enjoy GT7, I rather relax and play it on the couch, can't quite do that comfortably with the headset.

RE7 would be great though. I couldn't stomach it on the original PSVR and RE in 1st person on a flat screen is just a no go. RE8 did it wonderfully, just a few quality life improves and add-ons would make it even greater.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
VR was the only reason I finished RE7 so it doesn't surprise me that with an even more fleshed out VR mode in RE8 people would flock to that. This also kind of shows why VR is in such a rut. You have all these "made for VR" indie games that are basically super short and low budget, and that's not what people want. We want our RE7/8s, we want our Half-Life Alyxs, we want real games with lengthy campaigns and good graphics. From day one VR's biggest problem wasn't hardware, it was the lack of a truly killer app game.

This person......unlike Eddie gets it. The bolded is so true.

Top Bottom