• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil VILLAGE: Winter's Expansion | Review Thread

Needlecrash

Played the 3rd person mode in the demo. I'm not a fan. Feels janky and unrefined personally. Putting this mode behind a pay wall is a shitty move from Capcom.

Lux R7

Played the 3rd person mode in the demo. I'm not a fan. Feels janky and unrefined personally. Putting this mode behind a pay wall is a shitty move from Capcom.

I kinda disagree, they didn't "have" to give us a third person mode,, to me it's just a bonus if you buy the dlc. Nothing really wrong with that imho.

I mentioned it before about not being to fond of the new 3rd person mode. Were others here also not too pleased with it? I feel like I’m a lot of the tight areas, if I hadn’t played and beaten it a couple of times, I might not have noticed certain items or places to go. Or was it just me?

Side note, I prefer third person to first person. But this felt like a Bethesda type handling of third person.
i also prefer third to first person view. but, yeah, having played & greatly enjoyed both 7 & village in first person, i have no interest in this 'option'...

& you're right - developers opting for either first or third person view design environments with this in mind. & this doesn't always translate really well, & almost always results in bethesda-like compromises...

Astral Dog

I mean, it doesn't sound amazing but also not bad at all, from the quotes they praise the horror/atmosphere and the puzzles, wich is fine by me, the storyline reactions are mixed that's about what i expected from the DLC.

Playing this on friday!

Astral Dog

Asset reusage is a huge thing for RE now. Let's just say it's probably not a coincidence that both RE8 and RE4: Remake take place in European style villages and castles.
Nothing wrong with that if it results in quality games.

Everything i seen from Resident Evil 4 looks great, and not at all lazy or reused, if they fit some VILLAGE assets into RE4 you won't notice since it looks amazing and has its own unique art

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Isn't this supposed to be the end of the Winters saga, I wonder if they pulled back on doing Rose for RE9 and instead maybe finishing off Chris' Story or going back to Leon or Jill?
I have a feeling the next Resident Evil isn't gonna be RE9, but RE5 and it's not gonna be a remake.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is anyone playing RE:Verse here ?

The controls are soooooo fucking floaty .. even with adjustments, it's ... not fun on a controller at least.

TonyK

I purchased the expansion and I like third person view implementation for the base game... but I can't play with that gigantic gun reticle in screen! And if you disable it, it never appears so you can't aim properly.

I can't believe they don't added an option to show the reticle only when you are aiming. This type of stupid design decisions make me hate a game. Looking forward to Metacritic opening user reviews to put a 0 with my reasons, with the naive hope of developers taking note and putting a reticle that only appears when aiming. Stupid developers that don't play games.

Angry Denzel Washington GIF by PeacockTV

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Shadow of Rose is wild man, you're not allowed to be conservative in that game and it forced you to fight, enemies can body block you in the narrow corridors. Stealth section I did like and then in the final part of the game it turns into Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner with Zero Shift.

TheGecko

Banned
I purchased the expansion and I like third person view implementation for the base game... but I can't play with that gigantic gun reticle in screen! And if you disable it, it never appears so you can't aim properly.

I can't believe they don't added an option to show the reticle only when you are aiming. This type of stupid design decisions make me hate a game. Looking forward to Metacritic opening user reviews to put a 0 with my reasons, with the naive hope of developers taking note and putting a reticle that only appears when aiming. Stupid developers that don't play games.

Yup amazes me how they get so much right yet oversee such a dummy spastic brained idea and leave it in.

Astral Dog

I been playing this one and its definetly more spooky than i expected, if you don't mind a retreat of VILLAGE with a new main character + some magic shit sprinkled in, its a solid recomendation, i find the zombies in this DLC to be WAY more threatening than 100 werewolves.

Heck i want to see some 'supernatural' in Resident Evil, Rose's powers are fun to use

Last edited:

I think it's a bug. It wasn't doing it for me the other day, but now it does what you say. I think a patch caused it.

If you open the map and close it the reticle goes away. It's annoying, but I assume it will be fixed back quickly.

Other than that annoyance, I'm loving the third-person mode. It might be a little odd going into first-person for cutscenes, but for a game designed around first-person, I think it works well. I'm enjoying playing in third-person much more than I did my original playthrough in first.

Dr.brain64

TheGamer - Eric Switzer - 2 / 5
Shadows of Rose is a shorter, worse version of Resident Evil Village. It’s so committed to recreating a micro-version of Village and following it beat-for-beat that it even copies its major flaws. It concludes in the same location with the same info-dump of lore that quickly wraps up all the loose threads. It ends with the same boss fight (somehow even clunkier and more frustrating this time), and unbelievably, also ends with the exact same cutscene. The scene where Rose visits her father’s grave at the end of Village isn’t the start of Shadows of Rose - it’s the end of it. There’s no new context that makes this scene more meaningful, and in fact, that weird line where the driver calls her Eveline is an even more bizarre thing to say after these events. Capcom is quickly running out of Resident Evil games to remake, and this expansion didn’t give me a lot of hope for the future.

This. 👆

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I played Shadows of Rose and the above review is a massive spoiler I think.

Its servicable DLC. Its comparable to Not a Hero and End of Zoe; same areas but different enemies and mechanics. Also the same kind of length, perhaps a bit bigger.

The power gimmick is pretty good, also requiring you to open up the area. Rose is also a very good character, better than Ethan. She has a face and personality. Third Person feels fine to me, you'll see more of your surroundings, I think it plays a tad easier in fact. Shadows of Rose is despite this, rather spooky. Especially with 3D audio.

Last edited:

Arachnid

This DLC was pathetic.

Definitely the worst RE DLC we’ve gotten. Idk how it took them a year to put this out when it was 95% recycled content. I was hoping for something new. Her powers added almost nothing to it and she got restricted to a pistol and shotgun the entire time. On top of that, no new game plus or unlockables for second playthroughs.

The story was just rehashing the main story too.

They could have done something new. They had the memories of EVERYONE who has ever been tied to the Megamycete at their disposal, but they decided to do “Miranda wants to use you to bring her kid from 100 years ago back” again.

The enemies and bosses were pathetic. Those slow face sucking monsters were basically reskinned ghouls from the castle basement. The first boss was basically reskinned Urias (hammer wielding werewolf from main game) but worse. The middle boss could barely be called a boss (just hold right bumper while looking at it a few times). The final boss was literally just Mother Miranda again.

Then, after rehashing the final boss from the main game, the last cutscene is literally the same cutscene from the main game. Lol

We went to the exact same areas as the main game. Castle D, House B, the village, and the caves. Nothing new, same layout.

The ONLY positive I had was the weeping angels section in House B which was pretty damn cool.

4-5/10 here. Worth 5 dollars tops (unless you haven't played the main game; you can now experience that in 3rd person thank god). If you're only getting it for the story DLC and don't care about that or mercs though? Hold off. It took me at just over 3 hours on hardcore and it has 0 replay value.

RE7s DLC killed this. So did Lost in Nightmares+Desperate escape in 5.

Last edited:

Rippa

Sorry for your loss but thanks for your review and saving me $20. This was exactly my problem with the demo and I was holding hope they would fix that or give us an option to only show reticle when aiming.

i thought shadows of rose, tho not as replayable as not a hero / end of zoe, was enjoyable enough. mostly, i guess, because i'll take any excuse to revisit those areas. it was also cool seeing a couple of familiar faces again...

TonyK

I think it's a bug. It wasn't doing it for me the other day, but now it does what you say. I think a patch caused it.

If you open the map and close it the reticle goes away. It's annoying, but I assume it will be fixed back quickly.

Other than that annoyance, I'm loving the third-person mode. It might be a little odd going into first-person for cutscenes, but for a game designed around first-person, I think it works well. I'm enjoying playing in third-person much more than I did my original playthrough in first.
I prefer third person mode because the field of view is wider. When I tried to return to first person view, the narrow FOV felt claustrophobic. Also, analog response, aiming, feels better in third person mode, I don't know why.

But that crosshair ruins the experience for me 😪

bender

What time is it?
Wrapped up Shadows of Rose this afternoon and I can't say I'm a fan. It goes back to the well on one of the neater areas/concepts from the main game and I can't help but feel that it shouldn't have and diminishes that sequence in retrospect.

I prefer third person mode because the field of view is wider. When I tried to return to first person view, the narrow FOV felt claustrophobic. Also, analog response, aiming, feels better in third person mode, I don't know why.

But that crosshair ruins the experience for me 😪
If it's a big deal, just open and close the map when it happens, and it fixes it. Not ideal, but a workaround until its fixed.

Like I said, it wasn't doing this the other day, I think they just accidentally messed something up.

DavidGzz

It disappears after like 15 seconds. But yeah, it would be nice for it to go away faster.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I booted it up but went back to the game I was playing. I planned on playing the expansion. I finished Village 4 times. From what I got out of the intro.. it has a “throw a dog a bone” vibe going on. I’ve accepted the plot in VII and Village. There’s enough craziness going on with the mold and Ethan’s whole storyline.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Sure? I waited like a minute and it was still there. Maybe is a bug as another user told me.

I will have to check again later. I'm guessing it takes longer than that but I did notice it wasn't there a lot when I was just exploring.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've already heard people's dislike for the 3rd Person mode but I have to say I'm enjoying the game a lot more with it, shame they didn't redo all the cut-scenes.
Combat is a lot easier too, with a lot less mistakes.

Neff

I liked it apart from the blue balls event which promised to delve into Duke's history but goes nowhere.

The ending is so unsatisfactory, I know. 😖

Was this Capcom's idea of saving money? We waited 17 or so months for this garbage.

Many, many locations are cut and pasted from the main game. Also, if that "K" dude was really just Miranda in disguise, where did that flipping laboratory come from then? 😂

I wish Capcom would drop this fantasy / P.T. rip off shite from the series, and go back to how things were around RE6. I mean, a lot of people think RE6 sucks. It's almost universally detested in the fandom, and that's fine. But at least that was a better era than the RE Engine games, for the story was at least somewhat interesting. What with Neo-Umbrella being at the forefront of something sinister.

Although I personally think the plot really began getting disjointed in the franchise around RE4. Then 5 was the game that got back to the original feud with Chris and Wesker. But that didn't even feel like any of the old games, so that's why it didn't feel very satisfying once Wesker gave it up for the ghost. 🌋

Even with the remakes, I just don't appreciate the look of the characters, the cut content, linear feel, and how the story has been neutered. If Capcom could come up with something unique to please us old and newer fans, I will be absolutely surprised. 😳

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finally went and bought the DLC the other night and I'm probably right at the end of the Rose campaign.

It's alright, not terrible, not anywhere near as good as some reviews on YT make it out to be. The story is pretty thoughtful but the gameplay isn't anything special.

One thing that annoys the shit out of me though is that there's too much trial and error for the dumbest things. You unlock a section with Rose's powers so you run forward cause it's dark and assume that's the direction you need to head in, except it isn't and now you're wading in mold and eventually die. The death animations are kind of long and it just completely disrupts the flow of the game. Not a deal breaker by any means but just sloppy design. If it was an indie game I'd look past it but I expect better from Capcom.

All in all, Not a Hero is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Shadows of Rose.

Also, the 3rd person feels kinda jank, curious if it will feel as janky in the main game. I can't fault it too much though, the game wasn't designed with third person in mind.

Best part is when you need to get the breaker for the elevator and certain enemies are coming for you. Man, playing with headphones had my skin crawling. lol. Easily the most memorable part of the DLC for me so far.

Those creepy dummies escaped from Silent Hill, I'm sure. Just what does that have to do with RE, though? I know Capcom just loves ripping off people's work, for shame. :(

Even before that DLC was released, I recall thinking that the house was a lot like the one in the P.T. demo, which was a teaser of course for Silent Hills, which of course has mannequins. Ya dig?

Sure. You know it's the Molded that's the cause of what Rosemary encounters. So yes, it ain't really supernatural stuff, per se. But in my opinion, Capcom seen an opportunity to laugh at Konami's rival franchise, and that's a bit on the sad side. Yet you might say it's also kind of funny. ;)

Top Bottom