• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 |OT| Shooting for the S.T.A.R.S.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Beat it before.

Took me 4 hours and a bit. 14 deaths. C Rank.

Total time was 8 hours.

I'm still thinking about it. There's things I liked, there's things I didn't. I'll post my full feelings tomorrow when I arrange them in my head. I'm feeling a 7 or 6.5.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Its odd to see how the game is obviously shorter but then why did they cut certain things out that would give it more length like the locals people were talking about etc?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
How to I beat flame thrower Nemesis? I’ve been trying for an hour. She says to hit the fuel tank. Ok, I’ve played a video game before.

I’ve tried unloading 20 grenades, 30 shotgun shells and 50 bullets into the tank. I’ve tried it while he’s shocked or not shocked. I’ve tried it while he is reloading or not reloading. I’ve hit it several times in a row. The thing is on fire but never explodes. I don’t get it.

He already bugged out a few times where he just stands still. I’m wondering if my save is just bugged and it’s not letting me proceed.

Last edited:

Dynomite

This game looks like a great rental. Though I like the mod scene on PC, so I'll probably wait for it to drop to $20 and get it on PC.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Found I needed to reload an old save to unbug the fight. Capcom must have heard all the complaints about the game length so they tossed a bug at me to increase my playthrough time by 50%. I'd recommend keeping multiple saves.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Found I needed to reload an old save to unbug the fight. Capcom must have heard all the complaints about the game length so they tossed a bug at me to increase my playthrough time by 50%. I'd recommend keeping multiple saves.
I was gonna say. I just uses the handgun to do it. lol.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
What a remake and gorgeous visuals.. just finished the game and it took me 11 hours to finish it .. ( I can finish it in 4 hours but I’m enjoying it to the last drop )

here is my thoughts :

+ Better start than the original one
+ incredible visuals and performance ( pro )
+ Voice acting is on point
+ balanced story length

- horrible decisions Has been made for the remake when it comes to cutting content and changing The original events

- removing puzzles to ensure that new comers to the series will love the game without much using brain and thinking is very bad decision

- Nemesis is scary but Why changing the whole art !! The old one is more scary and has his own moments rather than jumping or skating on street

I highly recommend it to everyone it’s great, challenging and fun

If I have to give it a number I’d say it’s

A 8.5/10

w92kp

Neo Member
Some non-spoiler casual observations after clearing Hardcore, then Nightmare:

The grenade launcher doesn't appear to be much of a damage dealing boss killer. Yes, it staggers them with every shot, but it takes forever to actually kill them. When I played on Nightmare, I switched to using the shotgun and stayed close with perfect dodges. Bosses went down probably more than twice as fast. In the final areas of the game I used the Grenade Launcher as a room clearing weapon to good effect.

Sometimes zombies don't seem to play their lunging animation and I dodge into them expecting a perfect dodge, but get instantly grabbed instead. I still don't get why this happens.

Tentacle zombies are the worst enemy in the entire game. They have long range attacks that are difficult to read, and variable attack timing that I believe is based on distance to the player. I can't dodge them consistently. If there's a swarm of them, you can get combo'd to death with no escape.

I really miss Carlos' "dodge" when switching back to Jill. It's super satisfying to pull off repeatedly on some of the tougher enemies.

I don't really like how you can get combo'd. There really should be last second opportunity for a perfect dodge before the next hit lands.

The field of view is obnoxiously narrow during boss fights in the later parts of the game. Was it really necessary to zoom in that much, or at all?

MORJDK

Banned
Some non-spoiler casual observations after clearing Hardcore, then Nightmare:

The grenade launcher doesn't appear to be much of a damage dealing boss killer. Yes, it staggers them with every shot, but it takes forever to actually kill them. When I played on Nightmare, I switched to using the shotgun and stayed close with perfect dodges. Bosses went down probably more than twice as fast. In the final areas of the game I used the Grenade Launcher as a room clearing weapon to good effect.

Sometimes zombies don't seem to play their lunging animation and I dodge into them expecting a perfect dodge, but get instantly grabbed instead. I still don't get why this happens.

Tentacle zombies are the worst enemy in the entire game. They have long range attacks that are difficult to read, and variable attack timing that I believe is based on distance to the player. I can't dodge them consistently. If there's a swarm of them, you can get combo'd to death with no escape.

I really miss Carlos' "dodge" when switching back to Jill. It's super satisfying to pull off repeatedly on some of the tougher enemies.

I don't really like how you can get combo'd. There really should be last second opportunity for a perfect dodge before the next hit lands.

The field of view is obnoxiously narrow during boss fights in the later parts of the game. Was it really necessary to zoom in that much, or at all?
You can increase it on pc, dont know about on consoles. But it still feels very narrow.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: RSB

w92kp

Neo Member
You can increase it on pc, dont know about on consoles. But it still feels very narrow.

I'm on PC. I know you can increase it and it's already maxed out, but during certain portions of a late boss fight, the camera zooms in real close. The devs may have intended to make it easier for you to see the boss as it runs around the arena, but the reduced field of view is not only just annoying to me, it also reduces your ability to keep track of the other threats around you.

Virex

Banned

You were warned.

SU38nXM.jpg

J3nga

Played ~2 hours last night, stopped where
Nemesis is shooting at Jill with a rocket launcher.
Sadly I have more complaints than I would've wanted. I've Replayed original back in December so my memory of the original is fresh. This does NOT feel like a remake but some sort of reboot of 3 wherein last year's 2 remake felt like a remake, but also bringing new stuff. Locations completely have been changed as well as events. Stuff I didn't like:
- Raccoon city or the lack of freedom of the exploration, the area you're given is very tight, RCPD building in 2 felt a lot bigger with more interesting places to explore. Even original's city was a lot bigger or at least gave that feel. Demo is very misleading, you think you'll be given a lot more places to explore and solve puzzles, but sadly. Hugely missed opportunity here IMHO.
- Are puzzles completely gone?(rhetorical question)
- Linearity, feels to linear too me, I like some backtracking in my Resi games, this is probably caused by that there are no puzzles to solve and items needed to solve those puzzles, locations change so fast you don't get used to it, some might like it.
- Lack of tension. This is also caused by difficulty, here hardcore is like a standard in 2. Oh you just evaded Nemesis? Here's a checkpoint for you, buddy. Also save as much as you need, we got no ink ribbons this time. Nemesis is too scripted and does not provide the tension as Mr.X did, he was actually patrolling RCPD and got in your way while you were trying to solve the puzzle/find required item. That and limited saving/no checkpoints created needed tension, at least on your first playthrough, nothing like that here.

To sum up, I think there are just too many missed opportunities and I think die hard Resident Evil 1-3 fans wanted a different remake,this feels more like a Resident Evil 3 remake lite. Yet to finish the game and make a run on nightmare, but first impressions aren't what I'd like them to be.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Between this...

You were warned.

and this...

.. I publicly forgive Capcom for removing the Gravedigger, the park and the clock tower from the game. I believe the content we got in the remake is much better than the original and the new RE3 is now officially the best game in the series.

Reactions: 888

Grinchy

Banned
I played for 2 hours on the hardcore mode. The gameplay loop of not being able to open something until you get the new thing that lets you go back to the old area to open it but now there's new guys waiting to jump out just seems like it will always be satisfying.

Enjoying it so far, but since I read a handful of posts about how the game feels limited in scope and is over quickly has primed me to see things that way sometimes while playing. I'll wait until I've actually beaten it to have any strong opinions.

Nickolaidas

I played for 2 hours on the hardcore mode. The gameplay loop of not being able to open something until you get the new thing that lets you go back to the old area to open it but now there's new guys waiting to jump out just seems like it will always be satisfying.

Enjoying it so far, but since I read a handful of posts about how the game feels limited in scope and is over quickly has primed me to see things that way sometimes while playing. I'll wait until I've actually beaten it to have any strong opinions.
Same. Just got to the sewers and loving every minute of it.

Soulsdark

Between this...

and this...

.. I publicly forgive Capcom for removing the Gravedigger, the park and the clock tower from the game. I believe the content we got in the remake is much better than the original and the new RE3 is now officially the best game in the series.

At least they acknowledge that breast physics are a thing that exists.
Unlike most western game devs lol.

Nickolaidas

Yeah both Revelations games did a terrible job with the leading ladies. Ugly Claire was heartbreaking lol.

RE3R looks awesome tbh, don't get the complains.
Yeah, Jill looks amazing (aside from her hair, looks kinda last gen when compared with everything else), the action is tense, not frustrating and the first boss fight I've had turned out to be awesomesauce!

So glad I bought this! CapGod!

Shakka43

So now that I'm done with the game I'll wait for more outfit mods to be out there for replaying(especially a true RE3 classic outfit).

Loved the game and while i enjoyed it more than RE2R overall there are a few big flaws that the games does worst than 2, the gore and ragdoll effect are really disappointing here and the zombies disappearing after a while sucks after how good of a job they did with this on RE2R.
I understand they do this to due to console limitations but they should really leave these options available for the PC ports.

faisalasif

Resident Evil 3 Remake Platinum Trophy achieved (All Trophy list)

How to Earn Challenges Points & Shop In-game Items In Resident evil 3 (Unlimited Guns & items)

Unlocking All In-game Items (Unlimited Rocket Launcher & Guns ) Showcase - Resident Evil 3 remake

Resident Evil 3 Remake (Nightmare Mode) Speed Run (1:22 Hrs) - Rank S

The skirt fix is out by I'm more interested in the dress mod by this Chinese streamer which doesn't appear on Nexus;

ZtGaBK5.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've only put in about an hour or so, but I'm really enjoying this so far. I wish it were a little easier to tell if zombies are truly dead or not.

What's the general advice for going up against Nemesis? I nailed him with a grenade once and got a pistol upgrade, but in general, I should just try to evade him and move on, right?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I cleared the game. It says I spent 7 hours total playing. Clear time 5 hours. I think it logged some time while I was trying to figure out bugged Nemesis I mentioned in an earlier post.

I enjoyed it just as much as RE2R. It was fun throughout and I thought they did a good job with Nemesis always pursing Jill. The game probably could have used an additional area or two to make it a bit longer is my only complaint.

Nickolaidas

Just finished the (first?) police station segment with Carlos. Fuck that was intense. For me so far, this game has been pure survival horror.

Also, why do so many people think it's so easy? I've died twice as often in this game than I've died in 4 playthroughs of RE2make!

I'm beginning to suspect RE3's campaign is as long as one RE2make's playthroughs (with either Claire's or Leon's Scenario A).

RE3make managed to make my re-visit in the RPD as chilling and anxiety inducing as it was when I played RE2make … maybe even more. Also, kudos for using a known RE monster in RE3make which was never used in the original RE3.

When I heard the negativity from some people here, I was afraid RE3make would end up giving the same vibe RE Zero did: A game with the same production values of REmake, but with far less soul put into it. I couldn't be more wrong - RE3make is just as exciting for me as RE2make was.

Still, I haven't beaten the game so things may change later on. We'll see.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Game has a lack of intricate design choices that rewards you for learning routes like RE2 does but it's more action based. I cut my time in half but still ended up with a B. Also is it just me or can Hunters IK you even when you're on Fine? Pretty bullshit.

Ostrava04

I'm kind of torn with this game. On one hand the game play/visuals are just as good as RE2 and really enjoyed my overall experience. But the other hand they cut a ton of content from the original RE3, Nemesis turns into a giant licker, lack of puzzles, and more. They should've spent another year on this and get more content in this game, I feel like this should've been a $40 expansion to RE2.

Arachnid

I just beat it. This wasn't half the game RE2 was. I shouldn't be surprised since OGRE3 is my least favorite of the classic RE games, but man did they phone this one in. 6.5-7/10 for me.

I don't even really want to jump into another playthrough which sucks.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished it. I really enjoyed it. It felt pretty straight forward, but that’s ok. Everything looked terrific. They sorta focused more on companionship than really trying to figure stuff out. Things felt pretty straight forward. The build up to the hospital was nothing. I remember in the game, taking that stroll to the hospital felt epic, walking to the doors, and then going inside. It didn’t feel like they even arrived. Carlos just appeared there with Jill. Carlos re-entering RPD was so easy to put together. We basically saw how the cop was injured and how the explosion near the office happened. overall I had fun, so oh well about the other stuff.

A5-D87-C7-E-A87-E-47-D9-9-E1-C-707-FC9-CA10-F2.jpg

I died a couple times extra to see the glory kill. :)

DD0-DD0-D0-CED0-4333-86-FA-3-E5-D6060-ABC7.jpg

What a tease. Replacing it with jewelry to collect? Lol okay

Top Bottom