• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 |OT| Shooting for the S.T.A.R.S.

GrayChild

And... done:

V5MqlVi.jpg

Some of the best 5 hours I've had in a game, ever.

+ Probably the best opening I've seen in a Resident Evil game.
+ The soundtrack and visuals are simply mindblowing.
+ More actiony than 2, but without forgetting its horror roots.
+ A lot of the redesigned areas have been actually improved.
+ Some of the new additions such as

Jill's Apartment and the Umbrella laboratory

have been a nice surprise

+ The boss fights are significant improvement compared to RE2make.

There were also two very nice throwbacks to the original RE1 (1996):

The live-action intro and the hunter POV introduction cutscene.

- Not having the clock tower and the park is a HUGE disappointment.
- Removing the

Grave Digger

sucked as well.

- While some of the reimagined areas/monsters are very good, the game just changes way too much. I don't think it can be even called a remake. This is an entirely separate game from the original, sharing only its characters and the main story synopsis.
- And yes... TOO DAMN SHORT!

As I said previously, the game managed to be both amazing and somewhat disappointing. I'm still very happy with what we got, but the end result could've been even better if CAPCOM actually put at least 1 or 2 additional areas.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Downloading now and looking forward to getting into this. I was shocked by the length originally, but I DO remember beating 3 a LOT faster than 2. The more "action-y" aspect shouldn't come off as a shock either as 3 was more action oriented than 2. At least in terms of more ammo, combat, etc. I'm not sure I'll care about the multiplayer, and I'm kinda bummed about Mercenaries, but I think it'll be a solid experience regardless.

dan76

I've played about 3 hours. Taking my time, clearing the map - no red areas for me. So far I'm loving it, I think in terms of actual gameplay I prefer this to RE2. Zombies take way less headshots to put down and there is more of them. This was something I mentioned in the RE2 thread, give use more weaker zombies - they seem to have done it.

I've just got to the part where you play
as Carlos. I thought that was a good time to quit last night. In terms of stuff I don't like, I suppose the "cinematic" chase sequences with Nemesis are a bit overblown, I would have preferred another straight fight. Also those white things in the sewers were pretty basic, though thankfully the sewer section was brief - I hate sewer levels, they're so boring. Man I wish the spiders were down there.

Can't wait to jump back in tonight. I want to stretch it out as long as possible.

Anyone played Resistance yet? If you play the tutorial your character is way more powerful than in the actual game. The tutorial actually plays well, as does the practise mode. In practise mode you can play single player and treat each map as a mini mission. In multiplayer you get well nerfed. It could be a good game, but it's messy as fuck. I also don't like the fact you have to play as a certain character if your not quick enough to select the one you want. Odd.

nkarafo

I heard there are spiders in this game. Is that true? I loved them in the original trilogy and REmake.

If they are, i also hope they aren't some kind of mutant variant that looks nothing like a spider.

J3nga

I heard there are spiders in this game. Is that true? I loved them in the original trilogy and REmake.

If they are, i also hope they aren't some kind of mutant variant that looks nothing like a spider.
Will have to disappoint you here.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The campaign finished & starting on Hardcore now to score some points for the cheat shop. I think the main issue for most people is it doesn't make such a big impression as RE2R last year, as it's really more of the same. It looks the same, plays the same but how is that somehow a bad thing right now...? The game is fucking awesome, short - true but made to be replayed, despite the lack of "choice" moments which I also see as a big missed opportunity.

I have to admit, I'm from the Mr-x-in-RE2R-sucked camp. The persistent threat approach was mostly a persistent annoyance to me and my least favorite aspect of that otherwise amazing game. I'm very happy how they decided to set up Nemesis encounters here. Some resemble the original where he's chasing you for a bit dropping loot if you decide to take the challenge head-on.
Most of those meetings, however, serve as boss battles or setpiece chases. Made better than RE2R's bosses IMO. He also keeps on transforming and changing ways he attacks you so these encounters don't feel copy-pasted.
The new dodoge mechanic is dope and essential to come out alive from those encounters, I often found it hard to use when attacks come at you off-camera, especially if you're trying to run away from Nemesis chasing you on foot in earlier sections. I love new designs of classic enemies, especially hunters, I really like all Carlos parts.

Back to RE3N 99', most the main themes are there, characters and locations (some were cut, true, I also miss the clocktower...) but overall it's a brand new story. I don't really see a problem with that either.

I do have a problem though with some technical issues on display here that seemed less prevalent in RE2R, or any other RE Engine game of recent years: The game abuses the common technique of dropping animation frames of characters with distance for performance. It sucks real hard here as the enemies look as if there were moving in 20 FPS being only a couple of meters away from you, dropping down to 10 at a larger distance. It really craps on the overall impression the game makes with its looks, perhaps it's not as bad on a higher-end PC (I played on PS4Pro).

I also love it's one of the few games where bodies of slain enemies actually stay where you left them, even after switching characters.

Overall, I'm really happy with the game. In my opinion, it is a really solid entry in the franchise and a must-play for every RE fan.

Last edited:
The only question we should be asking ourselves regarding RE3 - why the hell did a single bullet take Jill out in her intro-dream when it takes me 17 headshots to put a regular zombie down...!?

/s

Nickolaidas

Played it for the first time - will try to contain my enthusiasm and play it little by little in order to play both RE3, FFVII and Doom Eternal at the same time.

Jill's model is beautiful - her face isn't manlike at ALL. Her hair sucks, though.
I think you cannot dismember zombies in this one, at least not with the handgun.
Visuals are amazing - I cannot fathom what Capcom will do with the RE Engine on the PS5.
So far the game's been careful to place zombies in tight alleys in the city so that you cannot dodge them easily.

My personal headcannon right now is that Umbrella went bankrupt because of all the money it took to create to create Nemesis - a last ditch effort to destroy anyone who would oppose them. When Jill took him out, Umbrella lost everything.

10 minutes into the game and already loving it.

RE Resistance: I hate the fact that this game doesn't run on 60fps, but I think the resolution is higher than the single player mode (RE3).

Anyways, I love it so far - fuck the haters.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I took the L and listened to Sphere Hunter to start the game on Hardcore. DO NOT DO THIS, it is not like "Normal Mode" three hits and you're dead and ammo is still rare. The only thing like Normal is there's still in game check points.

GAMETA

Banned
Got the game and haven't played it yet. Instead, I'm messing around with Jill's 3d model. I'm thinking of asking if a modder can implement it. What do you guys think?

pCBopYA.png

hYwdUuJ.png

CWdx47E.png

Nickolaidas

I swear it's possible in the demo?
Yeah, I was wrong - somewhat.

You CAN dismember zombies, but the limbs explode, instead of peeling off (which is a step back from RE2, admittedly). Also, I don't think I can dismember them when they're 'knocked-out'. DEFINITELY cannot dismember them with the knife when downed, which makes sense since the knife is unbreakable in this one.

Played some more - Raccoon city is a little bit like a maze, I guess the game gets a lot more linear afterwards, but right now (in the first part of the game) it's more open and maze like than any other RE game I've played.

I'm having a blast and seriously loving it. So glad I pre-ordered and didn't let my morale get affected by the nay-sayers.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Can someone confirm if they limited the damage enemy zombies reciever etc? I remember in RE2 you could blow a zombie in half with the shotgun then there torso would fall off and then would fall on the ground, did they take this away or is it still in?

Alphagear

Received it today and managed to complete it in one playthrough. Inferior to RE2 in every way. Lack of exploration, puzzles and challenge as a whole. Took me 3 hours and 59 minutes with me taking my time. After RE2, what a letdown. Felt like DLC to me. Capcom will never learn.

Silent Duck

So what exactly is the point of the “grabbed by a zombie” prompt?
Complete the QTE and still get chewed by a bullet sponge.

And I’m getting real tired of the zombies that are laying on the ground that grab Jill from five feet away. Can’t shoot them until the game activates them... which is usually when Jill’s foot is already in their mouths.

Nickolaidas

So what exactly is the point of the “grabbed by a zombie” prompt?
Complete the QTE and still get chewed by a bullet sponge.

And I’m getting real tired of the zombies that are laying on the ground that grab Jill from five feet away. Can’t shoot them until the game activates them... which is usually when Jill’s foot is already in their mouths.
Zombies are simple creatures. They see a Jill sandwich, they take a bite.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Yeah, if Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry V and RE2make taught us anything, is that Capcom will never learn.

Lets stick to Resident Evil.

After RE2 they have given us RE3. They haven't learnt anything. What made Resident Evil special was Survival Horror not Action.

Nickolaidas

Lets stick to Resident Evil.

After RE2 they have given us RE3. They haven't learnt anything. What made Resident Evil special was Survival Horror not Action.
If they hadn't learn anything, RE7 would be action and RE2 would be action. They weren't. Capcom learned. Now RE3 may not be SH in the same way those two were (although I find it a bit stressful on my first run as I walk the streets of Raccoon City), but I'm fairly sure RE8 will not be an action fest like 6 was.

To be honest, I'm more worried about Capcom's current plan of releasing RE games annually.

Alphagear

If they hadn't learn anything, RE7 would be action and RE2 would be action. They weren't. Capcom learned. Now RE3 may not be SH in the same way those two were (although I find it a bit stressful on my first run as I walk the streets of Raccoon City), but I'm fairly sure RE8 will not be an action fest like 6 was.

To be honest, I'm more worried about Capcom's current plan of releasing RE games annually.
Lets hope thats the case. I personally feel Capcom are still unsure what Resident Evil should be. Ofcourse sales play a massive part. Action games sell better than survival horror.

Pretty sure Re5 and re6 sold better than re7 which is worrying.

Nickolaidas

Lets hope thats the case. I personally feel Capcom are still unsure what Resident Evil should be. Ofcourse sales play a massive part. Action games sell better than survival horror.

Pretty sure Re5 and re6 sold better than re7 which is worrying.
Both RE7 and RE2 sold extremely well (in the long run) and were also critically praised, so I doubt that Capcom considers them divisive (like RE6). Now, REsistance shows that Capcom wants to gain back the hearts of the RE action fans, but so far their attempts are half-assed at best. The action fans want a solid RE action mainstream game, not a half-assed DLC mode or some B-list spin-off. On the other hand, RE SH fans like moi and toi want RE Action games to fuck off and die alone in a corner.

So Capcom has a problem and I'm interested to see how they intend to solve it. As much as I don't want to see RE return to the travesty that RE6 was, I understand that a lot of RE fans want to return to that clusterfuck and it falls upon Capcom in pleasing everyone. And last time they tried that was - you guessed it, RE6.

We'll see.

Quezacolt

As one reviewer rightly said, nemesis felt like a showpiece. Mr X struck more terror. So disappointed after RE2.
I think they did the right thing with Nemesis. If he kept following us for almost the entire game, it would just be annoying.
Mr X was easy to escape from, nemesis has a lot more going for him.

Alphagear

Both RE7 and RE2 sold extremely well (in the long run) and were also critically praised, so I doubt that Capcom considers them divisive (like RE6). Now, REsistance shows that Capcom wants to gain back the hearts of the RE action fans, but so far their attempts are half-assed at best. The action fans want a solid RE action mainstream game, not a half-assed DLC mode or some B-list spin-off. On the other hand, RE SH fans like moi and toi want RE Action games to fuck off and die alone in a corner.

So Capcom has a problem and I'm interested to see how they intend to solve it. As much as I don't want to see RE return to the travesty that RE6 was, I understand that a lot of RE fans want to return to that clusterfuck and it falls upon Capcom in pleasing everyone. And last time they tried that was - you guessed it, RE6.

We'll see.
Theres always room for multiple resident evil imo.

The main series should be survival horror.

We could have an online series for action fans.

Plus a VR Resident evil series.

Let see what Capcom does, as you said lets hope its not another RE6.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Enjoying it so far. There’s still some frame drops on the X after downloading the available patch. Doesn’t seem as bad as the demo, but I haven’t played much yet to be sure.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It's linear as fuck but I don't really have a problem with that. After you get the tram rolling in the original it's the same deal. It's the complex puzzles that fuck you up.

Shakka43

Just beat it, total playing time 7:30 hours / clear time 5:30. The game wasn't faithful to the original at all but i still like it a lot.

One thing I miss about the RE action era games is the NG+ option and i hope they bring it back with RE8..

I think Capcom would do well to make a standalone Mercenaries games. I know there was one on 3DS, but I want something unrestricted by limited hardware/controls.

SuperGooey

I beat it on Hardcore last night with a time of 5:00:47 (though, I was playing for 8 hours), 29 saves and 20 deaths for a C Rank, and now I'm giving Standard a try to get better at perfect dodging.

Based on my first playthrough, I really enjoyed RE3R. The hospital is a stand out area that, from an atmosphere and art direction, it obliterates anything in RE2R. This is a rare example of the second half of an RE game being better than the first half! The lab is also fantastic--very claustrophobic, and pretty much what I wished the lab in RE2R was in terms of atmosphere.

I loved Jill and Carlos's sense of teamwork, which was lacking with Leon and Claire in RE2R; though, Jill is really aggravating during the final battle... you'll understand if you play it.

Here are a few negatives:
-Nemesis is a downgrade from the original. He's basically just a set piece in this game.
-The city feels realyl sloppy, and needed more to do. You basically explore the entire city segment in the demo.
-Zombies are annoying in this game, especially when they spawn during a certain boss battle.
-How the fuck does this game NOT have Mercenaries mode?

Overall, RE3R is sloppy, but fun. I was pleasantly surprised by the second half of the game, which justified my purchase. However, since this game comes with REsistance--a shitty diaper baby game--it actually takes away value from RE3R.

Negative 20 out of 10. FUCK YOU, CAPCOM

EDIT: After my second playthrough, a lot of the cracks are starting to show. For being a short game, there is a lot of filler, and the hoard mode moments reveal how weak the combat is, and how much better RE4 was at finding that middle ground between action and horror. Not bad, but RE3R isn't anywhere near top tier.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Just finished the game! Did it in 03:43:00 and wow that was fun but too damn short. I hate how useless the knife is tbh, takes way too many slices to kill a downed zombie. Also I counted how many slices it takes to kill a hunter and I killed it in exactly 53 slices! That should not happen. I want to test with the Hot Dogger and see if it makes a difference.

TheTurboFD

Is there an easy way to kill hunters with Carlos? Takes way too many shots to kill one. I just check a grenade and 1 shot them

Kinda funny to see how many people are saying they prefer it to 2. I only played Nemesis back in the day once. I played 1 and 2 countless times. I don’t remember much about Nemesis so I’m pretty excited to fire it up tonight, kinda hooked on Ozarks at the moment tho.

skneogaf

Just finished it on standard, it's absolutely amazing and is as good as 2 remake.

If only they had included dolby atmos instead of pathetic 5.1 sound as it did my head hearing zombies behind me coming from my side surrounds!

Top Bottom