• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 |OT| Shooting for the S.T.A.R.S.

Numenorean

The original RE3:Nemesis is one of my fondest memories of my teen years. Im very excited to play this in a remastered form. Played de demo and like it a lot. Great come back to the original formula with modern controls, a have yet to play RE2: RE.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Look what was waiting for me after work.
dsc_0309guj8a.jpg

Sadly probably won't get to play it until Sunday

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My free steelbook from Best Buy shipped yesterday. They haven’t sent out the actual game yet. Something tells me I’m getting an empty case tomorrow and the game a few days later 🤣

Grinchy

Banned
That was an effective demo then if the biggest part of the game is that city section they gave us.

It convinced me there'd be a big game surrounding it.

Shantae

Banned
Any idea when the steam version will unlock? I'm considering getting it on PC.

Edit: woah. hadn't read the thread yet, but didn't realize it was getting this negative of a response...was trying to avoid stuff til I played it, but now I don't know if I wanna spend money on it.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Is the game even shorter than RE2 Remake?

it was never RE3 Nemesis' fate to be longer/larger than RE2... Why? The video below explains why.
It seems that the tradition has remained unchanged (even nowadays) and RE3 Remake's fate was to be shorter than RE2 Remake...

The way I see it -> Speaking of RE3 Remake, the way it ended up is somewhere in the vicinity of cross-selling and up-selling for Capcom.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Glad I got this free with a graphics card. Though I'll probably sell it.

I'll play this when its cheap. I like my games long.

Orta

Banned
Should be ashamed to say this but I gave the RE2 remake demo a go tonight for the first time since installing it months ago. After trying 3 I had to. Bugger me, its intense. I know both are only demos but the station was a hell of a lot scarier than outside Racoon City in part 3. I can't wait to get stuck into both.

Bartski

Gold Member
30mins 'till launch. Despite all the criticisms I'm still hyped, hoping it's at least as good as RE2R. Leaving hot takes for later

Geki-D

Banned
it was never RE3 Nemesis' fate to be longer/larger than RE2... Why? The video below explains why.
It seems that the tradition has remained unchanged (even nowadays) and RE3 Remake's fate was to be shorter than RE2 Remake...
I think a lot of people have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to RE3. The original was way more linear and shorter than the other RE games. So now that it's been remade and people are complaining that it doesn't have exploration like RE2 Remake... Well yeah, neither did the original RE3. Capcom could have added exploration and made the game way longer but then it would hardly be a RE3 remake, or at least even less of a remake than it is now. You either get something on par with a remake of RE3 or pretty much a whole new game, in which case people will just keep asking for that RE3 remake that can never satisfy their expectations.

In short, RE3 was the weakest classic mainline RE game. I'm' not surprised RE3 Remake is weaker than RE2 Remake.

I'd rather next they remake RE1 at this point, people will get their exploration fix then. CV was good for exploration too but fuck that game for killing the franchise.

Doom85

I'd rather next they remake RE1 at this point, people will get their exploration fix then. CV was good for exploration too but fuck that game for killing the franchise.

The first RE 5 DLC showed us why a RE 1 Remake like that won't work, it would even be significantly shorter than the RE 3 Remake.

Code Veronica and 0 are the two games that I think should be remade BECAUSE of their flaws. A well-handled remake could improve them and make them better.

waylo

Banned
30mins 'till launch. Despite all the criticisms I'm still hyped, hoping it's at least as good as RE2R. Leaving hot takes for later
30 minutes? On Steam or somewhere else? From what I read this globally launches tonight at midnight Eastern.

Geki-D

Banned
The first RE 5 DLC showed us why a RE 1 Remake like that won't work, it would even be significantly shorter than the RE 3 Remake.
What? Besides featuring a main hall, that RE5 DLC was nothing like RE1. A RE1 remake in the style of RE2 remake would pretty much be more of the gameplay you got in the police station; Exploring the mansion, solving puzzles, collecting key items and fighting monsters. In that RE5 DLC you spent 5mins in a few corridors with like 2 puzzles, then for the rest of it you were running around mazes lurring invincible enemies into traps.

I'd be for a CV remake if it's actually a complete reboot and ditches nearly everything from the original. But in that case Capcom may as well just say everything past RE3 Remake in the timeline in no longer canon and make a whole new game. Zero was a great game but I don't see much need in remaking spin-offs (unless it's Outbreak).

TGO

Is the game even shorter than RE2 Remake?
Not sure about this Remake but the Original was a little longer then a single campaign in RE2
So without a Second Campaign it is shorter
For reference

xIPIBIo.png

SuperGooey

The main takeaway is that you cannot see everything there is to see in RE3 Classic in a single playthrough, since that game offers so much choice and random elements.

RE3R is a game where the experience is basically the exact same every time you play it, at least from what I hear.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like that there are reviews being a bit tough on it, it's almost like when the original released, lol. I wonder if this generation of reviewers realize that Nemesis has never really been viewed as a benchmark in the RE series. I'm pumped for it either way. I think it's gonna be fantastic. Can't wait to see how Jill is portrayed. After RE5 and Revelations, I'm ready for a proper Jill portrayal.

On a side note;

My local gamestop got their shipment in early. I can get my pre-order today but I have to pay over the phone....with a gift card....

Over the phone is totally OK considering COVID-19. But why can't I just use my card?

I think, OK, I'll throw my local store a bone during these tough times and go through them rather than Amazon.

I order the digital gift card on their website which was a huge pain the ass, ended up having to go through their paypal option for it to work. Once it goes through I'm not even confident if the sale went through or not. A while later I get an email saying that the payment will process once gamestop processes it. An hour later I notice the money is gone from my account but still no email with a digital gift card code. Now I've been on hold with customer service for literally 2 hours. Upon further investigation, it seems like it can take up to 48 hours to get the email with the code. WTF kind of thing is this? It's bringing back memories of buying RE2 for the game.com off ebay with a money order from the post office. LOL

What a frigging mess. I didn't even care if I got the game today or next week for that matter. I just figured I'd go with them cause I pre-ordered it back when it was announced.

Never again gamestop, never again.

Reactions: 888

fart town usa

Gold Member
The main takeaway is that you cannot see everything there is to see in RE3 Classic in a single playthrough, since that game offers so much choice and random elements.

RE3R is a game where the experience is basically the exact same every time you play it, at least from what I hear.

Yea, RE3 for the PSX is similar to the original RE with all the cut scenes that can be missed/activated based on which route/actions you take.

Doom85

What? Besides featuring a main hall, that RE5 DLC was nothing like RE1. A RE1 remake in the style of RE2 remake would pretty much be more of the gameplay you got in the police station; Exploring the mansion, solving puzzles, collecting key items and fighting monsters. In that RE5 DLC you spent 5mins in a few corridors with like 2 puzzles, then for the rest of it you were running around mazes lurring invincible enemies into traps.

Are we remembering the same DLC? The one with Chris and Jill? I remember the mansion layout being very similar to most of the original mansion from 1. Regardless, a later RE game near its end also had a large mansion (check below for title as I consider it a spoiler for those who never played it) and again it was pretty quick to get through. With the modern style of gameplay, I just don't see a RE 1 Remake having an acceptable length for a game, at least not a fully-priced one. Like, forget the RE3 controversy, a RE1 Remake akin to 2 and 3 would have people even more furious at its length.

I think the only way to make a modern RE1 Remake a full game would be to add a significant amount of new rooms and such, and as you said earlier at that point it's becoming less of a remake (would be more accurate to call it a re-imagining at that point).

Revelations 2

TGO

Are we remembering the same DLC? The one with Chris and Jill? I remember the mansion layout being very similar to most of the original mansion from 1.
That DLC was very linear, not really comparable as whole as areas was completely cut off to force you to the objective

SuperGooey

I'm watching Terminator 2 to get me in the right mindset for RE3R.

I forgot how much of Classic RE2 and RE3 ripped off from T2. I'm not complaining either! And yeah, Jill Valentine in RE3 is basically Sarah Connor, which is all good in my book.

J3nga

Does anyone have PC save with nightmare unlocked and could share? I would appreciate a lot. Just wanna dive straight into higher difficulties.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Are we remembering the same DLC? The one with Chris and Jill? I remember the mansion layout being very similar to most of the original mansion from 1. Regardless, a later RE game near its end also had a large mansion (check below for title as I consider it a spoiler for those who never played it) and again it was pretty quick to get through. With the modern style of gameplay, I just don't see a RE 1 Remake having an acceptable length for a game, at least not a fully-priced one. Like, forget the RE3 controversy, a RE1 Remake akin to 2 and 3 would have people even more furious at its length.

I think the only way to make a modern RE1 Remake a full game would be to add a significant amount of new rooms and such, and as you said earlier at that point it's becoming less of a remake (would be more accurate to call it a re-imagining at that point).
I don't really get your logic that as soon as the game is set in a mansion (none of those other RE games you've mentioned compare, they're all very short, linear and practically devoid of puzzles) it's suddenly short. RE1 had the mansion, the courtyard, the guardhouse, return to mansion, the underground and the lab. RE2 had The streets (which was just linear progression), RPD, RPD basement + water treatment, return to RPD, sewers, factory (which again is nothing but linear progression) and lab.

How exactly do you justify RE2 Remake being valid but a possible RE1 remake not when their original games both have identical pacing, and RE1 actually takes longer to beat than RE2 (and I'm being generous and comparing the shortest version of RE1, not DS or remake that were even longer)? The only real difference between the two is that RE2 has sections where you played as other characters but they were crazy short and RE2 had the B scenarios whereas RE1 just had one but with two playable characters. And the whole B senario thing was removed in RE2 Remake anyway.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

I love it so far. RE2 is for sure creepier and more atmospheric, but I think I might actually prefer RE3s more action oriented approach.

Hostile_18

Banned
So for those hung up on the length vs price (me) how does Resident Evil resistance offset this? I don't normally play multiplayer but love coop.

I've been burned by Umbrella corps lol...

azz0r

Banned
I got this for £30 on cd keys. So far so good. Even if I smash through it I reckon I'd play it a few more times. Its really fucking fun.

What a time to be stuck @ home, this and Alyx :messenger_smiling_hearts:

So for those hung up on the length vs price (me) how does Resident Evil resistance offset this? I don't normally play multiplayer but love coop.

I've been burned by Umbrella corps lol...

First major problem it's peer to peer. I did notice in the beta you will shoot zombies coming at you and no damage registers and watching others in the full game they still have the same problem. It's also horribly imbalanced and can probably never be balanced. When you're dealing with such a asymmetrical system, how much strength do you give each side side based on whether they are coordinated/randoms, and whether they're skilled or not. Then you have the different layout presets for the maps, different options for the mastermind in terms of "loadouts" and different survivors with their own defining ability. It's never intended to be a competitive product, which is apparent from so many bizarre design choices.

The last major one is PC/controller, and which one the game is designed around. The mastermind controls are completely built for controller in the beta and I doubt that has changed. The mastermind is stuck with analog aim speeds so the mouse doesn't work correctly.

I watched a premade group of 4 stomp with 10 minutes to spare over and over tonight, because the instant aiming speed renders the mastermind pretty much powerless. Eventually nobody will want to play the mastermind. It's one of those things, like Evolve. It could be fun for a drunk session with some buddies, but that can be said about anything coop.

The short answer is it's the new Operation Raccoon City/Umbrella Corps. They want a multiplayer Resident Evil product to produce ongoing profit but can't deliver one.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
First major problem it's peer to peer. I did notice in the beta you will shoot zombies coming at you and no damage registers and watching others in the full game they still have the same problem. It's also horribly imbalanced and can probably never be balanced. When you're dealing with such a asymmetrical system, how much strength do you give each side side based on whether they are coordinated/randoms, and whether they're skilled or not. Then you have the different layout presets for the maps, different options for the mastermind in terms of "loadouts" and different survivors with their own defining ability. It's never intended to be a competitive product, which is apparent from so many bizarre design choices.

The last major one is PC/controller, and which one the game is designed around. The mastermind controls are completely built for controller in the beta and I doubt that has changed. The mastermind is stuck with analog aim speeds so the mouse doesn't work correctly.

I watched a premade group of 4 stomp with 10 minutes to spare over and over tonight, because the instant aiming speed renders the mastermind pretty much powerless. Eventually nobody will want to play the mastermind. It's one of those things, like Evolve. It could be fun for a drunk session with some buddies, but that can be said about anything coop.

The short answer is it's the new Operation Raccoon City/Umbrella Corps. They want a multiplayer Resident Evil product to produce ongoing profit but can't deliver one.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Well I'll definitley wait for a sale on this one. With so many good games out I can wait. 😊

Top Bottom