• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Stuart360

Yeah i'm 4 hours in to watching a playthrough and you can tell some people will love the realism, and some will hate it. The guy i'm watching is constantly fallling off his horse, and losing his pelts and stuff. The realism also goes into the pace of the game which is slow and very much grounded in reality. I actually like what i'm seeing, but i can certainly understand those that were expecting a more zany Rockstar type game.

Yeah i'm 4 hours in to watching a playthrough and you can tell some people will love the realism, and some will hate it. The guy i'm watching is constantly fallling off his horse, and losing his pelts and stuff. The realism also goes into the pace of the game which is slow and very much grounded in reality. I actually like what i'm seeing, but i can certainly understand those that were expecting a more zany Rockstar type game.

This isn't Saints Row 1846. Not saying I hate Saints Row or anything, I like SR3. But, RDR2 is something else, and that's a good thing. It's really good.

Wunray

So I was out and about exploring and shit and I came across a father and 2 sons building a house so I partook in a little conversation, seemed really cool that stuff like that can happen at random. Fast forward 3 days and I do the story mission where you take the girls into town,.chase a dude down and merk him, a pretty safe mission. I hear gunshots in the distance, I was like idgaf right now so lemme head back.....then I was like let's check it out anyways, head in the direction and lo and behold the same family building the house was under attack for guys collecting insurance. Had the father give me a bit more story with them, that was seriously cool.

Stuart360

This isn't Saints Row 1846. Not saying I hate Saints Row or anything, I like SR3. But, RDR2 is something else, and that's a good thing. It's really good.
No i agree, i said i like what i'm seeing. I'm just saying i can see why some people are dissapointed in it. This level of realism is something new for Rockstar, i'm really liking the route they have gone though, it seems to be almost like a Wild West simulator.

Halo0629

Damn I love this game and couldn't stop playing it. The game can get overwhelming at first but it's a good thing they were able to introduced the camp system and new gameplay elements through missions or sidequests. The environment also looks really good and very detailed. Well done rockstar you have set the bar again.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Damn I love this game and couldn't stop playing it. The game can get overwhelming at first but it's a good thing they were able to introduced the camp system and new gameplay elements through missions or sidequests.
lol, i'm not even playing, i'm watching a playthrough, for 4 hours straight and i cant stop watching. Just a shame i'm on PC.

Nodnol

Played for hours today. Feel like I haven’t progressed the story very much; I’m in Chapter 2 but I keep getting distracted by...well, everything.

It’s such an utterly gorgeous game, it’s simply a breathtaking world they’ve created.

I find myself roleplaying it in a way I don’t normally do with many games. I did the same with RDR too. Little things, like searching through cabinets and draws; I’ll close them back up most of the time, but there’s a conscious decision NOT to when I’m shaking down someone who owes money to the gang. I’ll swagger in to town and walk. I’ll hitch my horse up every time too.

I find the pace and tone of the game just perfect. Feels like just a welcome change to a lot of the games I play where everything is at a million miles an hour, where it’s all about efficient loot grinds, or being as quick and as direct as possible.

To just lose yourself in the world has been the best thing about it so far.

Silent Duck

I love RDR1 and I really want to love this one, but the bad gameplay mechanics keep slapping me in the face.

Things like:
Camera going wonky at frequent times while engaged in battle. While nothing new, it is still annoying.

The unresponsive controls (tried to run from a fight I didn’t start and Arthur just stood thee getting punched and being shot by the law. I have run set to “hold X”, but game is still making me tap X to run. Aftr going into first person view and takes several presses to get it back to third person.)

The convoluted UI. NPC tells me to get my shotgun from my horse. Game makes my character walk away from the horse, then I slowly have to walk back to the horse. Hold L1, use the right stick to highlight the pistol while pressing R2 to rotate selection to the shotgun, release the L1 while holding right joystick Up. Talk to people by holding L2, select a response and release L2. Sounds straight forward, however the unresponsiveness sometimes causes the dialog option to not trigger a response.

The instant fails that occur from accidental button presses (I returned a horse to a coach driver and Arthur tackled him when I accidentally brushed the R2 button. Mission Failed)

The game continuing at random places after a death or save (I rode off a cliff while chasing someone down. Only to spawn at the end of the chase successfully. Like the game played it without me. And one time after continuing a save, the game started me on a completely different mission. I had no clue what was going on).

A gang member moving forward without me and getting killed because I failed to hold L2 and select to have them stay behind. I had less than a second to select that option to keep the idiot from dyng. Mission Failed.

I find myself making excuses for it, like an abused lover.
“Maybe if I play some more it will stop hurting me. Knowing deep down that it won’t. “I just need to give the game more time to open up”.

The more I play this one, the more I find that I want to play the first one again (especially Liar’s dice).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had my horse glitch today, unless horses walk sideways? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
15406909692854469.gif

Definitely seems to be a much more polarized reaction to this game than I expected. Though, in fairness, I personally didn't know it was so focused on simulation elements. I love those elements, and I love the game, but I have to understand that maybe not everyone expected and/or appreciates them as well.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
I tried disabling auto aim, but I can't seem to adapt to this game's aiming as much as I would like to. I can aim well in 3rd person games with shooing like uncharted and gears of war, but there is something about this game's controls that seem off to me. I had to go back and enable auto aim. Maybe it's the way the game is structured. Does anyone else tried playing this with auto aim off?

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
My favorite game of the last 5 years. I'm continually amazed at the depth, the detail, the serious tone and the tightness of it all. I read a review where the author basically said, this game is meant to be played slowed, just take things as they come to you, do not try to rush, and you will experience it as it was intended. That was the best advice I could have gotten before starting. Man this is a great, great game.

This game really appeals to the type of people who put 100+ mods in skyrim to make it as "immersive" as possible. I'm not that person but Im really digging the game so far. Only real gripe is lack of fast travel and you walk SO DAMN SLOW.

DavidGzz

Played for hours today. Feel like I haven’t progressed the story very much; I’m in Chapter 2 but I keep getting distracted by...well, everything.

It’s such an utterly gorgeous game, it’s simply a breathtaking world they’ve created.

I find myself roleplaying it in a way I don’t normally do with many games. I did the same with RDR too. Little things, like searching through cabinets and draws; I’ll close them back up most of the time, but there’s a conscious decision NOT to when I’m shaking down someone who owes money to the gang. I’ll swagger in to town and walk. I’ll hitch my horse up every time too.

I find the pace and tone of the game just perfect. Feels like just a welcome change to a lot of the games I play where everything is at a million miles an hour, where it’s all about efficient loot grinds, or being as quick and as direct as possible.

To just lose yourself in the world has been the best thing about it so far.

This is what I'm talking about! Great post, this is how I am playing it.

lmaoooo everyone mentioning the poor controls and tedious actions as archaic game design when rockstar clearly designed it this way. This game is such a breath of fresh air from these stupid battle royale twitch FPS games. Thank you ROCKSTAR for making me believe in gaming again!!!

thatJohann

The audio is messed up on Xbox one X if you use a receiver. Cutscenes are normal volume and gameplay is super low volume. Infuriating.

Dante83

Banned
lmaoooo everyone mentioning the poor controls and tedious actions as archaic game design when rockstar clearly designed it this way. This game is such a breath of fresh air from these stupid battle royale twitch FPS games. Thank you ROCKSTAR for making me believe in gaming again!!!

I never played a red dead game before, so I am curious how people set up the controls. I was just experimenting with auto aim on and off. I still love the game, great story and I am immersed in its world. Stop being so defensive by calling other good battle royale games "stupid" and chill out. It's good that there are a variety of games for everyone to enjoy.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

There’s a large difference from twitch to performing the appropriate action at the push of a button though. And Arthur does walk slow, I don’t expect him to be running but he should be walking at least twice as fast as he does. He’s not that old.

Saying that, I am enjoying it though but it’s not without its faults. Days Gone might be a stronger contender than I’d originally have thought.

Last edited:

Enzo88

About 15 hours in, I am liking the game, but i feel that both Zelda BOTW (world interaction) and The Witcher 3 (quest design) pushed open world games so far ahead, i have no clue where the reviewers are pulling these 10/10 from...

Graphics and characters are awesome but:
1. Controls are clunky
2. The beginning is a slog
3. Upgrades from secondary activities are mostly irrelevant
4. The game keeps the traditional Rockstar formula of follow the line from A to B-cutscene-mission, i was hoping for something more seamless.

Where the game pushes the envelope is NPC interactions, some genuine surprising stuff came out of there for me, but as of now i would not got over an 8/10.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Learning to use the character and learning how the controls work helps with the escapism if you ask me. Just like how I enjoy the tank controls in Resident Evil. Some people can't find enjoyment in it because they simply don't like it.

When the environment, the characters, and the player sync, it all comes together quite well.

There's a moment where I'm spending an extra 5 seconds to pick up my hat and then there's the sense of escapism when I'm riding down a grassy hill with my horse. It makes up for itself.

Slowdowns haven't bothered me once I got use to them. I can see why it's frustrating. Walking speeds inside a camp for instance can be frustrating. All in all I'm really enjoying the game. It's a staple game in the open world franchise if you can put aside the up front issues with the controls.

Once I figured that Author wasn't going to act a particular way, I started to see what I can and I cannot do. It works and so do tank controls. Tank controls work if you use them. Did most players want a 360 degree, point in a direction with instant satisfaction, type of controls?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Different strokes for different folks. Not sure why you're so upset that reviewers and others are enjoying it more than you. Not every game is going to be a hit for everyone.

Agreed. Personally I can't rate it a 10 as I haven't come close to finishing it, but I am really enjoying my time - far more than I ever did with RDR1 and a good bit more than I have with AC Odyssey. This may very well be the best Open World I have played since Zelda BotW and Witcher 3 (but honestly Witcher 3.

joe_zazen

Different strokes for different folks. Not sure why you're so upset that reviewers and others are enjoying it more than you. Not every game is going to be a hit for everyone.

Like one reviewer out of the hundred that offered scores gave it below an 88, and that was a 7. Seems like everyone is supposed to like this game and think it is goty.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Alright, so in Polite Society
Arthur steals a horse. Who the hell do I give this horse back to?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Like one reviewer out of the hundred that offered scores gave it below an 88, and that was a 7. Seems like everyone is supposed to like this game and think it is goty.
Maybe the user score reflects your rating more accurately.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Or the game isn't for everyone and while a number of people (in particular the reviewers) had liked it, you may not. The vice versa also happens. Move on, you don't like the game. The reviewers are not all being paid, they are not all shills - sometimes you just don't like things others do.

joe_zazen

Or the game isn't for everyone and while a number of people (in particular the reviewers) had liked it, you may not. The vice versa also happens. Move on, you don't like the game. The reviewers are not all being paid, they are not all shills - sometimes you just don't like things others do.

Just find the homogeneity in reviewer scores funny and people using that as evidence of greatness misguided.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Guys I pre ordered digitally do I get the was horse as well?
Did you find them? What exactly are you trying to find?

its in Valentine stables when you first have to go to the stables. So you'll advance some in story, but you'll know when you have a choice of picking a regular horse or your DLC horse

Other DLC
i got my outfit from the trunk at camp. There's an option to change clothes. The gun shop has the guns and they're $0, ready for pickup IIRC

Last edited:

camelCase

The bounty system is so fucking annoying, holy shit. Got challenged to a dual and winning , I get charged with assault . What????? It's like you took every law from modern day and superposed it on this frontier time. A man should be able to have a dual in a pigsty without worry of that got damn law coming on his ass.

And i still have a shitton of weapons not available for purchase... like most of them. The majority of them are definitely not unlocked by default lol.

sertopico

I don't know why developers are going the realism route. In real life, shaving is a pain in the ass. Cleaning a gun? Boring. Washing? I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. So why insert it into a medium that we want to be a fun escape?
That's why developers worked those 100hrs per week. Have some respect!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Nobody is "supposed" to like anything. There are plenty of games that were heavily praised that I couldn't get into as well as games that weren't that I ended up loving.

ayokunaj

What’s the fastest way to upgrade dead eye? Need to kill that legendary bear. The fucker took me out during the story mission.

loving the game so far... spent like 10 hours just hunting haha haven't really continue the story much since arriving in the heartlands

few good moments so far haha

first time encounter a bear out in the wilds haha ... puckered my pooper nice and good

I playing 'no deaths' too to try sort of craft a single canon story and make the game a little more tense. Just means I reload an old save but with how the game autosaves after death, means that sometimes my last save is 1-2 hours ago if I'm not careful haha

couple other good moments
woke up from my tent in the middle of the night and I thought I heard something... ended up finding a bear nearby haha (was my first bear kill actually but he was kinda across a small ravine)
-

same session.... I found a gold prospector, so I stuck around and he found some gold haha.... guess what appeared in his inventory later =p
-

oh, and John Marston punched me in the face cuz I was mean to too many people =p

but Arthur when he greets, antagonizes, defuses, antagonizes, defuses is just waaaay too funny.
Anyone have hunting tips? I wanna take down an elk but I shot one like 4 times with the bow and it didn’t die.
Use dead eye when hunting.
elk seem a lot tougher... I think they're classified as 'big game.' basically, any hides that take that single slot normally use for carcasses on the back of the horse.

sheep, deer, etc... you can 1-shot them and get perfect hides pretty reliably if you use Dead Eye... accuracy in the game is kinda rpg-y... I was visually head shotting deer and sheep for 3-4 hours and I kept wondering why their pelts were always ruined or sometimes they'd still be alive after taking an arrow to the head lol

started using Dead Eye and they drop dead instantly (even tho I'm hitting the same spot as without Dead Eye) and also their pelts are usually perfect or good

but Elk... even if I use Dead Eye, I've shot them 3-4 times in the head with my bow and still had them run off lol I spent 3-4 hours in the snow trying to 1 shot an elk with my bow in the snow last night... head shots... lung shots and then trailed them for 5-10 minutes to see if they collapsed later... nothing...

so, I guess you gotta use your gun or use poison arrows

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm glad I didn't buy this at launch as it just doesn't really sound like my kind of game. I have very low tolerance for sluggish or cumbersome controls of any kind (even if it's intentional) and I also don't like games where you have to micromanage loads of little things or games where I feel like simulation gets in the way of fun.

Hopefully the online delivers as I may pick this up depending on how that turns out.

Top Bottom