• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Push Square] Gran Turismo 7's PS5, PS4 Campaign Requires an Online Connection

V4skunk

Banned
Last edited:

PaintTinJr

The irony grows so strong with this one. So many talk shit about something, only for the smell of their own feces to hit them in the nose.
That's a fair point, but when Gabe no longer own's Valve - for whatever reason, like say when Lucas sold off SW - do you expect Steam to retain the current customer assurances it currently, has? :pie_thinking:

dezzy8

This could be the very first time that I agree with one of your posts. Although perhaps a Managemt change would be better.

Polyphony take a geological age to make their games, and at the same time are not head and shoulders above their competition. Something needs to change
This is my sole complaint with these guys. Turn 10 made More forza games than Polyphony in less time.

But I don’t care about the online connection requirement. I dont even play my PS5 unless I’m connected tot the internet.

Last edited:

Concern

"For those of you with without an internet connection, we have just the console for you..... an Xbox 36.... eerrr um Ps3.... umm wait never mind"

Seriously tho, who cares at this point? I don't see how this should affect many people in 2021

And still It will be the only racing game requiring being online for SP content. Your whataboutism with Destiny 2 is typical but it's not even the point.
There is no necessity for being online for the SP portion of the game. But I guess Sony can do what they want, you will defend it anyway.

I don't disagree with the point about the necessity for an online connection for SP content, but the same can be said for many other games that do it including Destiny 1 and 2.

So it's not a whataboutism but a meaningful counter-point (regardless of whether you're willing to accept it or not).

The fact is, an online connection requirement for some games, by the devs own choice defining appropriateness, isn't something that needs a defence in the first place. It's a fact of the gaming industry and devs have to freedom to chose to make games that way if they so decide to do so.

If you don't like it, don't buy the game. That's your choice.

The original online check-in policy for XB1 was absurd because it mandated it across all games on the platform. This is not that, and so trying to draw such a false equivalency in order to drum up fake outrage is puerile at best.

It's also puerile to cry fanboy for anyone that simply disagrees with your own subjective point of view on a singular developer's design choice for their game. If you can't rationally debate your position using locally consistent arguments on a discussion forum and instead have to jump straight to juvenile ad hominem attacks and straw-manning to defend your point of view, then perhaps you shouldn't have made this thread and instead remained in the Safe Space of your own head where the only minds present will only ever agree with you.

That's a fair point, but when Gabe no longer own's Valve - for whatever reason, like say when Lucas sold off SW - do you expect Steam to retain the current customer assurances it currently, has? :pie_thinking:
Don't really see steam ever selling out honestly. Steam is the biggest platform in gaming, I don't ever see that train slowing down. That's why Microsoft and now Sony are flocking to steam to put their library of games on.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
deal with it: I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT MS(Apple dure here), ABOUT XBOX ANYMORE AND FORZA. Go and play your MS box and live your best life but don´t talk to me about anything else but Sony. I DONT CARE MR GAY ALEX BOYSBAND.🌈
This is satire, right? Since console wars bring up all kind of unfathomable craziness, if not: I own a PS5, but no Xbox Series. Also, I hate racing sims (including Forza).

Stuart360

I get why they do this on PC, as it helps defend games against piracy, but not sure what the need is on console. Single player modes should be offline imo, if for no other reason than you will know that at least the single player section will always be playable in the future.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I did and often servers were offline and I could not have any progress in the already light SP content.
Simply not possible.
You are lying because GTSport never ever locked the single player races behind online.
You need online for the daily bonuses, exchange market and multiplayer.
I did and often servers were offline and I could not have any progress in the already light SP content.
Not true at all. SP was not locked behind online and being offline has zero impact on being able to save in SP.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Has any one here actually even played GTSport?

Yep unlike the clear bullshitters in this thread. The only way someone wouldn't be able to play is if they were only ever trying to play during scheduled weekly maintenance which used to last for 2 hours once a week.

Haven't played in a couple of years though, long since moved on to PC racing sims.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doesn't bother me even a little bit. I'll have 2 or 3 internet problems a year maybe, and it usually just requires a router reset.

But I get why others would be upset. It effectively means the game on your shelf has a finite lifespan & will eventually be a brick. Not to mention those less unfortunate with unreliable internet.

John Wick

Having an internet connection does not mean you have to use it if its not required.....
Its single player campaign, not an MMO or dark souls PVP.

Having online only is going to restrict a portion of customers.
Game A: Online and offline
Game B: Online only

Game A is going to sell more compared to Game B, common sense here.
It's simple if having an Internet connection stops you from enjoying a game or not liking it, then vote with your wallet. Don't buy it. It'll be 2022 when it releases. People are connected all the time with their phones and have no problem with that.

Banned
FMH5
30fps@4k
no raytracing (only visamode)
mtx everywhere
loot boxes
free rammers

GT7
60fps@4k
raytaced reflections+
12+ cars on screen
online drm

STOP BEING A CORDON BLEU!
James Corden Wow GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

MsbkeoB.png

"how to spread lies online fast", the new Netflix series, brought to you by that idiot above

Kuranghi

But what will the millions of submarine people do!? Why does no one think of the submarine and cabin in the woods people??

It’s 2021, this is fine. Even more so in 2022+ when this releases.

I once sold a TV to some submariners and the main factors we chose it based on was whether it would fit down the hatch and whether it was light enough that it could be mounted on a metal wall that they said was "like paper thin" lol one of the weirdest sales ever.

Last edited:
Then why literally any other series don't have that problem?
No other series, nope none at all.

Last edited:

elliot5

delisting isn't the same as requiring online connections to play. You can still get a physical copy of those Forza games and play campaigns.

kuncol02

Banned

How you connected forza games removed from stores (you can still play them even online) with forced online only campaign?

delisting isn't the same as requiring online connections to play. You can still get a physical copy of those Forza games and play campaigns.
I thought you meant simply had licensing issues for some reason.

And I'm not even sure GT is online only is because of licensing to be honest, I think it might be because the game is FIA certified. Of course they could easily just sandbox the actual FIA online races and make you use pre-provided cars instead of ones from your garage, but who knows.

modiz

Simply not possible.
You are lying because GTSport never ever locked the single player races behind online.
You need online for the daily bonuses, exchange market and multiplayer.

Not true at all. SP was not locked behind online and being offline has zero impact on being able to save in SP.
I said progress. And guess what, Sony themselves tell you so.
TielMqO.jpg

Edit: I saw that my post you quoted twice says "have" but it should have said "save".
Perhaps that was causing the confusion.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Dumbest shit ever. My kid keeps trying to play GT Sport and is constantly barraged with "NO PSN ACCOUNT YOU CANT DO THIS" messages. Why the fuck should I have to create an online account to play single player?

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
My consumer rights have been consistently violated since video games ceased to be distributed on cassette, and frankly, this is the last straw. I will not have it. 'The internet'? In my video games? Fuck you nazis.

Spacefish

The sad thing is in 7 years when they shut down the servers and it becomes impossible to play, nobody will ever get to experience it again yet nobody will care.

To people who are complaining about this: did any of you play GT Sport? If no, why do you care so much for GT7?

Online connection is required for, among other things, tracking driver stats + lap times and comparing it to your friends and other players. This was part of the single-player experience on GTS and, imo, a good incentive to improve your laps and go beyond the gold trophy. PD had to reset these lap times at least once when they updated the tire physics, btw.

Besides, it's 2021 and PD shouldn't care too much about the hermits or the two of you who're planning on playing this in 2035, when the servers will likely be offline.

Top Bottom