• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Push Square] Gran Turismo 7's PS5, PS4 Campaign Requires an Online Connection

jigglet

Banned
I'm a big fan of GaaS / PvP games so from a practical perspective I don't have an issue with this.

The only issue I have is when it's done by companies that have a horrible track record of supporting their online games. When they close their servers within a few years, they really have no right to do shit like this.

GHG

Is it only the menu though? Sensational that you aren't picking up that the game isn't as good looking as you or many others think. You can cherry pick all you want, but it's obvious as fuck one looks much better than the other, regardless of menu picture, photo mode, random shot, etc. You can keep playing the jester role of you'd like, but anyone with a pair of eyes can tell which one looks better.

Here's the kicker, both games are cross gen, so what is the excuse GHG GHG ?

PD is known for having the best graphics in racing games. That has always been the case and always will be.

Show us some other direct feed screenshots that look just like that menu screenshot does then. I'll wait.

What's funny about all of this is that I'm not even sitting here making comparisons or saying "this looks better than that". Frankly it's not a discussion that interests me. However if you want to do so by using disingenuously cherry picked "screenshots" having just talked about the irony of shit talkers then go ahead, be my guest.

On multiple occasions during this exchange I've attempted to point out why the comparison in question is disingenuous but you've decided to double down and be blind to it for whatever reason.

And for the record, this is what I said after the initial trailer release:

Not that impressed. Looks really inconsistent visually.

Dynamic lighting and trying to do that on the PS4 will explain that. They should just drop the cross gen shite.

Have fun and don't embarrass yourself too much.

I dunno I don't really see the issue, most people have internet going in the background when they play their single player bangers anyway. Seems like a non issue.

Show us some other direct feed screenshots that look just like that menu screenshot does then. I'll wait.

What's funny about all of this is that I'm not even sitting here making comparisons or saying "this looks better than that". Frankly it's not a discussion that interests me. However if you want to do so by using disingenuously cherry picked "screenshots" having just talked about the irony of shit talkers then go ahead, be my guest.

On multiple occasions during this exchange I've attempted to point out why the comparison in question is disingenuous but you've decided to double down and be blind to it for whatever reason.

And for the record, this is what I said after the initial trailer release:

Have fun and don't embarrass yourself too much.
I'm not sure if your realized by now, I've not one time posted a picture of EITHER games. So there's nothing for me to cherry pick from, as I've posted nada.

I'm not only going off of the menu pic either, but gameplay footage to make my basis.

How can I embarrass myself by stating the obvious elephant in the room? Not sure what your point is, as you haven't really made one yet?

I came here to comment on a post, then you quoted me on something you aren't even aware of? Look back at the posts, and honestly tell me you aren't embarrassing yourself by barking up the wrong tree?

Doubling down in something you don't even claim as very visually appealing is odd, isn't it?

Last edited:

Markio128

I'm not sure if your realized by now, I've not one time posted a picture of EITHER games. So there's nothing for me to cherry pick from, as I've posted nada.

I'm not only going off of the menu pic either, but gameplay footage to make my basis.

How can I embarrass myself by stating the obvious elephant in the room? Not sure what your point is, as you haven't really made one yet?

I came here to comment on a post, then you quoted me on something you aren't even aware of? Look back at the posts, and honestly tell me you aren't embarrassing yourself by barking up the wrong tree?

Doubling down in something you don't even claim as very visually appealing is odd, isn't it?
I think the biggest elephant in the room is that this thread is about GT7 being always online.

modiz

How am I supposed to play GT7 in the apocalypse when we don't have internet anymore?
That depends on
- your internet connection
- PSN status
- GT servers status
- Sony deciding to shut down online for that game like they did before with many other games, including GT5 and GT6
And to the people I've seen arguing they could patch out the necessity down the line. They never did for any game so far.

Aenima

Oh, cool - GT7 only requires the Internet during setup then, and then it’s entirely offline after that?
Nop. It works like GT Sport. The game saves the progress in the game server. So to advance in the single player mode you need to be conected online. If offline, you can only play the arcade mode, but cant advance in the single player, earn credits, etc.

I think the biggest elephant in the room is that this thread is about GT7 being always online.
My bad, guess it works like FS2020 with an offline connection. I digress. Guess the so called menu picture makes sense now?

I don't get the confusion about always online though. Just like other racing games, they require licenses that expire from car manufacturers. Unless they make unlicensed models, this will always be a thing.

MonarchJT

Banned
FMH5
30fps@4k
no raytracing (only visamode)
mtx everywhere
loot boxes
free rammers

GT7
60fps@4k
raytaced reflections+
12+ cars on screen
online drm

STOP BEING A CORDON BLEU!
James Corden Wow GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

MsbkeoB.png

pls.dont hurt yourself ....Forza H is light-year ahead of what GT have become

Markio128

My bad, guess it works like FS2020 with an offline connection. I digress. Guess the so called menu picture makes sense now?

I don't get the confusion about always online though. Just like other racing games, they require licenses that expire from car manufacturers. Unless they make unlicensed models, this will always be a thing.
Tbh, I‘d rather GT7 not be an always online game, but then I’d also prefer it if I didn’t need to work 5 days a week. As the Rolling Stones once sang, ‘You don’t always get what you want.’

GHG

The whole basis of your discussion on this was based around that one screenshot, even your recent follow up is still fixated on it:

Do you always compare things by using the best case scenario for one thing vs the worst case scenario for another?

My primary reason for engaging you was to point out the fact that the whole premise of comparing that screenshot is disingenuous. I thought you'd be receptive considering your previous post but evidently not, you'll happily do the exact thing you claim to be against, all within the same thread.

The only logical conclusion that can be drawn from this is that you must like the smell of your own feces.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

So you agree that Forza Motorsports is just the shitty version in the series? Now you compare a arcade game with a more sim racer? Forza Motorsports 7 was never really popular and couldn't really compete with GT Sports.

GT Sports still get's a lot of content, official FIA championship races, and a huge eSports game. While you flying around unrealistically with some hypercars. I'm not saying Horizon 5 is going to be bad, but come one...those car won't handle better then GT cars on track. They've always handled as if they are on ice all the time.

The whole basis of your discussion on this was based around that one screenshot, even your recent follow up is still fixated on it:

Do you always compare things by using the best case scenario for one thing vs the worst case scenario for another?

My primary reason for engaging you was to point out the fact that the whole premise of comparing that screenshot is disingenuous. I thought you'd be receptive considering your previous post but evidently not, you'll happily do the exact thing you claim to be against, all within the same thread.

The only logical conclusion that can be drawn from this is that you must like the smell of your own feces.
Please educate me on what my post meant about the smell of feces again? I'm not sure why you engaged me, if you weren't clear on the first part to begin with?

It's not about comparing screenshots. That's not the point. My point was about the flat assets, and why a closed box racer should look better than an open box racer. You should be able to squeeze as much as possible when you don't have a much larger area to work with. I'm not sure why you keep missing that point. And this isn't from that one screenshot, but from gameplay. Screenshots and videos to directly compare with. I'm not sure why you are butthurt on this topic. MS did a great job with being able to use much higher quality assets. That's literally what makes the biggest difference between a flat tree and 3d environments. Ease up, and don't take it so personally.

And to be Frank, yes. I like the smell of my own shit, compared to others shit. I could be biased, but my shit don't stank (in comparison to others).

On the other hand, my farts are completely lethal. No one expects that it came from me though.

ZehDon

Gold Member
A console that is "entirely offline", but requires internet connection and settings to be used offline at all. Sure.
… it literally says "internet required for setup" on the box. But please, don't let facts stop you pushing your narrative.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PS owner here, even I cant stand this always online bs, was going to get this but oh well, save some money for another game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Oh shit! How dare they. This is 2021 and an Internet connection shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
Having an internet connection does not mean you have to use it if its not required.....
Its single player campaign, not an MMO or dark souls PVP.

Having online only is going to restrict a portion of customers.
Game A: Online and offline
Game B: Online only

Game A is going to sell more compared to Game B, common sense here.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
My PS5 is hardwired to my router.

Therefore always online.

The game will still sell gangbusters.

🤘🏼
Most games are already require internet connection and people just don't know that because eveyone is on-line now. It's not 2013.
I cared back than, now I just don't.

LimanimaPT

Who owns a console and doesn't have the console connected 100% of the time? This is a no problem
On the other hand, why is a connection needed anyways?

MonarchJT

Banned
So you agree that Forza Motorsports is just the shitty version in the series? Now you compare a arcade game with a more sim racer? Forza Motorsports 7 was never really popular and couldn't really compete with GT Sports.

GT Sports still get's a lot of content, official FIA championship races, and a huge eSports game. While you flying around unrealistically with some hypercars. I'm not saying Horizon 5 is going to be bad, but come one...those car won't handle better then GT cars on track. They've always handled as if they are on ice all the time.
forza h >>>> forza m >> gt

this as games ...the. we can proceed to say that we should compare Forza m with gt ....but still M is better than GT basically on every aspect at this point

ps. for me gt5 and gt5 was one of the bests console driving games of all the time

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Except awful cockpit animations since F3. Also overall design (music, menu). Less detailed cars. (now it's about materials and how they reflect light). GT still have best replay system.
I mean it's not over for GT. PD are still wizards.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
forza h >>>> forza m >> gt

this as games ...the. we can proceed to say that we should compare Forza m with gt ....but still M is better than GT basically on every aspect at this point

ps. for me gt5 and gt5 was one of the bests console driving games of all the time

FM only went more worse overtime. Nobody cared about FM7, and it’s not even close to GT Sports.

Bullshit, this is not Sport 2. Why even make single player content, then?

It doesn't matter.

This is the direction ALL racing games have gone. Or have you been living under a rock?

Go listen to the comments of the dev, Polyphony Digital, the series is online-focused. There's no argument.

Of course, the SP mode is included for the series fans who enjoy that aspect of the series, but the series focus has shifted to follow the market trends whether you or I like it or not.

Can you still play the SP campaign? Yes, but you need an internet connection. Same with Destiny 2 and a bunch of other games.

You're being incredibly naive if you think the online component of racing games isn't the most popular and now arguably most important portion in this day and age.

modiz

It doesn't matter.

This is the direction ALL racing games have gone. Or have you been living under a rock?

Go listen to the comments of the dev, Polyphony Digital, the series is online-focused. There's no argument.

Of course, the SP mode is included for the series fans who enjoy that aspect of the series, but the series focus has shifted to follow the market trends whether you or I like it or not.

Can you still play the SP campaign? Yes, but you need an internet connection. Same with Destiny 2 and a bunch of other games.

You're being incredibly naive if you think the online component of racing games isn't the most popular and now arguably most important portion in this day and age.
And still It will be the only racing game requiring being online for SP content. Your whataboutism with Destiny 2 is typical but it's not even the point.
There is no necessity for being online for the SP portion of the game. But I guess Sony can do what they want, you will defend it anyway.

Top Bottom