• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
do you live in the US?

In the US you have a lot of options in headphones

from Drop.com for example
I don't live in the US. Most of the time I don't see a difference outside of prices, but today I saw that the headset you recommended me would take 2 months to be there, or I need to pay 272 € for it. I will look at others sellers but don't think that they will have better options sadly.

FrankWza

It can charge a Dualsense, this was mentioned in one of the YouTube videos I watched yesterday (can't remember who's atm). Only thing is the Dualsense can wobble but uses the same connectors.

If I can find the vid later I'll post it.

EDIT: This video at 6.19

Haven't seen the driver specs. Although do planar drivers measure size in the same way as a dynamic driver?
Cool thank you. Yes planar are typically bigger. Usually around twice the size. There are smaller and bigger of both of them but I think they are usually in this range. Sony had 50mm in the platinums but 40 in the pulse 3d. Souls orne said the maxwell are 90. That's why they're usually heavier but reviews are mentioning how light the Elites are vs Maxwell’s. Could just be materials but it may be both. A have a planar that is lighter than the x2 because the x2 uses more metal and leather.

TheGrat1

Another vote for the PC38X. I've only owned mine since last March but they've impressed me no end. I think they have the best tonal balance of any headphone or headset I've used for gaming (this might not be the best way to describe it). The HD 560S or TYGRs might do individual things better like detail, soundstage, imaging or separation but unless it's for specific games i.e. competitive Apex etc.) I think the PC38X is better for gaming. That's not necessarily something I expected when I got them. The other advantage is that they are very consistent and don't care what they are plugged into. They sound great plugged into a phone, console or PC without an AMP. They just don't care. They also are not fatiguing in any way and can be worn for hours.

My only negative on them, in total contrast to that comment above, is that they have an a strong clamping force on them out of the box. I had to leave mine on a yoga block for a good few days to get that out of them. But even now they have more clamp than Beyerdynamic's. Although it's not an issue once worn in.
Now that I think about it I do leave them mounted on my PS5 with the console basically "wearing" the headphones the same way my head would. Perhaps that broke them in? Or maybe you just have a wide head? lol

Digfox

Cool thank you. Yes planar are typically bigger. Usually around twice the size. There are smaller and bigger of both of them but I think they are usually in this range. Sony had 50mm in the platinums but 40 in the pulse 3d. Souls orne said the maxwell are 90. That's why they're usually heavier but reviews are mentioning how light the Elites are vs Maxwell’s. Could just be materials but it may be both. A have a planar that is lighter than the x2 because the x2 uses more metal and leather.

Np. I think it was more that I rarely see the size of a planar driver mentioned, particularly in comparison to dynamic driver models that are so common, but that might be a biased view. That said I know the size doesn't necessarily matter for dynamic drivers and had suspected it might be the similar for planars.

Now that I think about it I do leave them mounted on my PS5 with the console basically "wearing" the headphones the same way my head would. Perhaps that broke them in? Or maybe you just have a wide head? lol

That initial clamping force was like my head was in a vice. I've always found Sennheiser's to be have more clamp but that was something else. Overall very comfortable though.

PS: I don't have a big head, honest!!

Last edited:

TheGrat1

That initial clamping force was like my head was in a vice. I've always found Sennheiser's to be have more clamp but that was something else. Overall very comfortable though.

PS: I don't have a big head, honest!!
It is strange, according to RTINGS.com (good site for looking at headphones, by the way) my M50x has a clamping force of .9 pounds and the PC38x is 1.4 pounds. If I had to testify under oath I would say that was reversed. Maybe it is because they are lighter overall (by .13 pounds)? Or the ear cups being larger distributes the force better? It really does feel less clampy to me. 🤷‍♂️

Borowski_1

It is strange, according to RTINGS.com (good site for looking at headphones, by the way) my M50x has a clamping force of .9 pounds and the PC38x is 1.4 pounds. If I had to testify under oath I would say that was reversed. Maybe it is because they are lighter overall (by .13 pounds)? Or the ear cups being larger distributes the force better? It really does feel less clampy to me. 🤷‍♂️
Some Sennheiser headphones usually have a strong clamp force, especially the 6X0 (600, 650, 660s) series

My 560s was very tight, but i stretched it on its own box overnight, and it fixed it

Rac3r

I think they want it to look like the PS5

The Pulse 3D has an all black version, although I think it came out afterwards. Hopefully they do the same with the Elites.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Digfox

I know this was covered earlier but Gadgetry Tech did update their review (the first one linked in this thread) on these with the following note in the last 24hrs.

UPDATES:
1 - I received confirmation that the pads are glued and not replaceable.

Thought it worth posting given it's now confirmed. Will mean butchering these to replace the pads, if you can even find something that fits, which was the same as the older PS4 Platinums. Feels like the one massive negative with this headset.

Last edited:

Little Mac

After reviews started coming in, on the 17th I preordered a pair on Amazon with some left over gift card credit I had. Current delivery estimation for my order is March 10th :(

Sad Arrested Development GIF

Last edited:

Eiknarf

After reviews started coming in, on the 17th I preordered a pair on Amazon with some left over gift card credit I had. Current delivery estimation for my order is March 10th :(

Sad Arrested Development GIF
Yeah preorders are sold out

I preordered from Best Buy and got an email claiming I can pick up tomorrow. I just hope they’ll be ready for pick up at 10am when they open.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I know this was covered earlier but Gadgetry Tech did update their review (the first one linked in this thread) on these with the following note in the last 24hrs.

Thought it worth posting given it's now confirmed. Will mean butchering these to replace the pads, if you can even find something that fits, which was the same as the older PS4 Platinums. Feels like the one massive negative with this headset.

I mean, one could always do the short socks trick when that time comes but, yeah, not a good look for a 100+ Eurodollars headset.

Besides, Sony headphones are notorious for their shitty quality since they always seem to be made of cheap plastic usually breaking at the hinges part - had a pair of MDR-somethings (70 Eurodollars) years ago which broke after 2 weeks, Official Sony support reply ? "It's due to user error", yeah, F' that, never got a Sony headset/pair of headphones ever again, I've been rocking a pair of the HyperX cloud Alpha for the past 3+ years with 0 problems (besides the usual pad flaking thing) and last year I also got the Anker Soundcore Q30 which are BT, sound nice for gaming/movies and the battery lasts for a good 50+ hours.

I'm going to hold off on these for a pretty long while I think.

One, if I buy them, I'll buy them in black. Two, I'm sure they'll receive some software updates in the next few months. Three, I'd probably pass on them if the PS5 Pro doesn't have built-in PS Link.

Ronin_7

I mean, one could always do the short socks trick when that time comes but, yeah, not a good look for a 100+ Eurodollars headset.

Besides, Sony headphones are notorious for their shitty quality since they always seem to be made of cheap plastic usually breaking at the hinges part - had a pair of MDR-somethings (70 Eurodollars) years ago which broke after 2 weeks, Official Sony support reply ? "It's due to user error", yeah, F' that, never got a Sony headset/pair of headphones ever again, I've been rocking a pair of the HyperX cloud Alpha for the past 3+ years with 0 problems (besides the usual pad flaking thing) and last year I also got the Anker Soundcore Q30 which are BT, sound nice for gaming/movies and the battery lasts for a good 50+ hours.
Strange, I own 10 headphones from Sony and are All in phenomenal shape.

I always find very strange someone can break the phones in 2 weeks,oh yeah you're full of shit mate.

I've replaced the cups on my Sony and Bose headsets for years, but these are $300+ headsets.

At $150 dollars with significantly less use (so hopefully longer life) and less exposure to the elements, if I did ever end up buying these, I don't think I'd mind having to upgrade after a few years, more importantly though, I hope Sony iterates on these.

I'd love to see a MK2 of these with some consumer and critic feedback taken into account.

I think with the purchase of Audeze, they might have somewhat rushed this product to market. I'm speculating, but they probably wanted it originally in time for Christmas, but couldn't get both this and the Explore ready in time. Maybe they wanted to show early deliverables on the investment.

I also wonder why their headphones have to look clownish. Maybe Sony Electronics doesn't want these competing with their headphones.

It would also be nice if they released a high end version with noise cancellation as well and maybe a better mic.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Strange, I own 10 headphones from Sony and are All in phenomenal shape.

I always find very strange someone can break the phones in 2 weeks,oh yeah you're full of shit mate.

Quick, someone please defend the multi-billion company and blame the user(s) ! 😁

The "I never had a problem with X product"...I never understood it, just because YOU don't have a problem doesn't mean that others don't - let me guess, joy pad stick drift is also a lie and not a reality 'cause, maybe, you never had it, am i right mate ?

Fooking internet man...

Bonus

StereoVsn

That’s a deal breaker for me. I always tend to replace pads even on decently expensive headphones. Default ones usually kind of suck.

Ronin_7

Quick, someone please defend the multi-billion company and blame the user(s) ! 😁

The "I never had a problem with X product"...I never understood it, just because YOU don't have a problem doesn't mean that others don't - let me guess, joy pad stick drift is also a lie and not a reality 'cause, maybe, you never had it, am i right mate ?

Fooking internet man...

Bonus
I'm not defending anyone, I'm just calling in bullshit when i spot it.

Phones broke by themselves after 2 weeks, SURE BRO I'll believe YOU 😂😂😂😭

Digfox

That’s a deal breaker for me. I always tend to replace pads even on decently expensive headphones. Default ones usually kind of suck.

Yea, unfortunately I think the same too. It's not just that they wear out it also that the stock ones are really thin pads and the plastic on the small earcups will likely rub on my ears. After market pads, like Wicked Cushions would likely solve that.

Last edited:

I mean new pads are like 20-30 dollars and the headset itself is 150...

At a certain point, it just makes more sense to replace the headset, especially if you can get a replacement on sale for between 100-125.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

I don't get it, why so triggered man ? Am i bad mouthing your favorite company or something ? I get it, i must be a Microsoft agent "shitting" on a different company's product, am i right ?

You know what else is bullshit/a lie ? Nintendo's joycon quality control, yep, no problems whatsoever there also.
Same thing with Xbox controllers having their LB/RB buttons getting borked, A/Y buttons being mushy out of the box and general lack of quality control when it comes to elite controllers - all lies ;)
Dualsense V1 having their trigger springs break and analogue stick drift - you guessed it, people have been lying about this too.

Stop getting triggered man, if you want to have an actual discussion i'm here, all the "LolOLOLOL it'S all LIes LOLL" and snarky bullshit though do not a good discussion make

Last edited:

Ronin_7

I don't get it, why so triggered man ? Am i bad mouthing your favorite company or something ? I get it, i must be a Microsoft agent "shitting" on a different company's product, am i right ?

You know what else is bullshit/a lie ? Nintendo's joycon quality control, yep, no problems whatsoever there also.
Same thing with Xbox controllers having their LB/RB buttons getting borked, A/Y buttons being mushy out of the box and general lack of quality control when it comes to elite controllers - all lies ;)
Dualsense V1 having their trigger springs break and analogue stick drift - you guessed it, people have been lying about this too.

Stop getting triggered man, if you want to have an actual discussion i'm here, all the "LolOLOLOL it'S all LIes LOLL" and snarky bullshit though do not a good discussion make
You are getting nervous, the conversation started with Sony Headphones and you're already talking about Nintendo Joycons 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😭😭😭😭😭

StereoVsn

I mean new pads are like 20-30 dollars and the headset itself is 150...

At a certain point, it just makes more sense to replace the headset, especially if you can get a replacement on sale for between 100-125.
This is a strange argument. Default cushions are uncomfortable and don’t last long. You can get aftermarket well made and more comfortable replacement for usually around $20-35. Headsets and aftermarket cushions normally last for many years.

But instead I should spend $150 to buy a headset with uncomfortable ear pads and buy a replacement for another $100/150 down the road and still be uncomfortable and create more e-waste?

The whole point was comfort and longevity in the first place.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Fooking internet man...

Bonus
How did you do that ? I clicked “Bonus” and it took me to a Google search being done in real time- Didn’t know one could do that

Zathalus

Products break under two weeks all the time. Some are even broken right out of the packaging. This shouldn't exactly be a shocking revelation.

Duellist

So I’m using a pair of Sennhieser HD 598SR for gaming. Is it worth upgrading to the pulse E or even the sennheiser PC38x headphones?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fucking hell.
Release date is moved from 21.02 to 26.04 in Poland. I hate having to wait even for headphones. What is this

King Dazzar

The Elites are GOOD guys!! Happy with my purchase
It would be good to know real world positives and negatives, especially compared to the Pulse 3D. I've already seen one down to earth take, which whilst positive, he did say they felt a little fragile and the constant blue LED on one of the booms annoyed a little as he wore glasses. Thats the kind of thing would be great to know about.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It would be good to know real world positives and negatives, especially compared to the Pulse 3D. I've already seen one down to earth take, which whilst positive, he did say they felt a little fragile and the constant blue LED on one of the booms annoyed a little as he wore glasses. Thats the kind of thing would be great to know about.
The one review mentioned the build quality and twisted them pretty good. They are pretty much all plastic but to me that's a benefit because I hate heavy headphones. I'm looking forward to a teardown because I want to know the driver size. I think these are just the Maxwell’s in a cheaper build and Sony buying power.

Why would anyone want that in an over the ear gaming headset?

The mic is reviewing well and the ai tech they're using especially.

#1 some people don't want to be bothered by external noise when playing games
#2 some people want to be able to use the headset for non gaming
#3 have you heard it? it sounds terrible

FrankWza

#1 some people don't want to be bothered by external noise when playing games
#2 some people want to be able to use the headset for non gaming
#3 have you heard it? it sounds terrible
But anc degrades sound quality. Especially cheap anc. You would need to add a huge markup to include it. It's an overrated feature imo.
And the mic sounds fine, especially when it's extended.

Top Bottom