• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

The Pulse Explores had reviews come out two weeks in advance, maybe because they wanted to get some buzz going before christmas, so I had hoped we get reviews for the Pulse Elites in a similar time frame before launch.

As of tomorrow the Pulse Elites will be launching in a week, I'm hoping for some reviews tomorrow and I'm hoping their pretty solid. I'm still upset about how Sony has handled PS Link, but we'll see if these are really good, I might still pick them up.

Right now my Bose NC700s are my primary drivers against everything as I wait for the next-generation Apple Air Pod Max, but I'd really like if there was a headset I could use just for gaming. One of my biggest pet peeves about the Bose headsets are that they allow you to connect to multiple devices, but you get periodic static when you do so.

Is anyone else in the market for new headsets?

Rac3r

I bought the Inzone H9s for simultaneous listening because I like to multitask when playing games (listen to podcasts, etc). They let you connect to the PS5 audio via the wireless dongle, and you can simultaneously listen to bluetooth audio from another source. I had to return them because they were really bulky, and the secondary source audio wasn't loud enough for me.

My current setup is Sennheiser 560s headhpones with a VModa boom pro mic, plugged into a SoundBlaster G6 DAC. The DAC connects to the PS5 via usb, and my laptop is plugged into DAC via aux cable, which gives me audio from both sources. It sounds great, but its a hassle fiddling with wires every time I want to game.

I'd like to get these Pulse Explores, even if its a downgrade in sound, just to get rid of the wires and keep the simultaneous audio functionality. Hopefully bluetooth sources sound louder than they did on the Inzone headsets.

Zuzu

That was one of the laziest reviews I've ever seen, but at least it probably means today is the embargo date on reviews. Hopefully, we'll get some from some better reviewers.

Yeah, better reviews shouldn’t be too far away (a couple of days it looks like)

Last edited:

mdkirby

If they make it so the mute button on the dualsense works whilst using the pulse headset, then I may be interested in the upgrade. It’s super annoying that it doesn’t.

Eiknarf

Banned
Sounds like similar problems to the Pulse Explore - don't sound great with music, issues around bass, etc. Bummer.
But why is that?
If the Pulse Explore and Elite (earbuds or headphones) sound good with games (which also have sound and music) then why don’t the Pulse’s sound good with music

Games have bass and midrange and treble, and music has bass and mids and treble

I’m confused

Last edited:

skit_data

But why is that?
If the Pulse Explore and Elite (earbuds or headphones) sound good with games (which also have sound and music) then why don’t the Pulse’s sound good with music

Games have bass and midrange and treble, and music has bass and mids and treble

I’m confused
I think the Explores sound good overall, but the tips that come with the earbuds sucks tbh. Bought a couple of cheap silicone tips for €5 which work way better.

The differences people experience between games and music might be because they use different protocols for BT connection with the phone and the link it establishes with the PS5.

I haven't tried using them with spotify via PS5 but I found the sound quality good in games when establishing a good seal.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Odd that the review of the audio quality is only about a minute towards the end
Want audio quality? Don't buy wireless headphones.

fight me bruce lee GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sounds like similar problems to the Pulse Explore - don't sound great with music, issues around bass, etc. Bummer.
I have them preordered since I love pulse 3d. And people were saying the same about pulses3d. Meanwhile there is plenty of bass.
Elites are planar so it might require real reviewer to judge the audio

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I continue to just use the built in mic on the dual sense abandoning wearing a thing is a game changer.

Eiknarf

Banned
And that sound arrives inside the Dualsense how?
I normally play all games while audio is connected to a home theater

But when the kids are downstairs and loud and playing with their devices, it’s tough to hear. I want headphones for that reason. So when the kids are being loud, I plug my BEATS headphones into the Dualsense via the 3.5mm jack. They’re sound canceling, and have great bass/bottom end. But I am reading that the new Pulse Explore and Elite have “really clear sound”, making us “hear things we’ve never heard before”

Who reviews these headphones?

Never seen any on headphone sites.

Maybe you will have a few influencers reading you spec sheets and will let you know how awesome they sound? Wouldn’t call them a headphone review. You can go to their site and check its spec sheet yourself.

Rambone

Pulse 3D was not my favorite sounding headphone, especially not through the wireless dongle however it was a different story plugged directly into the PS5 controller. If you haven't tried it, I would recommend giving it a shot that way if you already have a Pulse 3D laying around. I was treated to a more musical and engaging experience, particularly with music.

As for Pulse Elite, just pulling some thoughts out of my ass. If you have never listened to a planar headphone before, there is a love/hate in relationship in the community with them because of how bright they can sound, almost to the point of being piercing, fatiguing and sibilant depending on your source. Planars can tend to have a thinner sounding midrange, brighter sounding upper mids, sparkly airy highs, 3D/holographic imaging and excellent separation of sounds on the stage. The bass can differ per tuning/driver but you can expect a fairly fast punchy sounding low end. The amount of slam and sub rumble varies as you make your way through the price ranges and amount of EQ put into it.

Based on the first impressions posted in this thread on that youtube video, I suspect that the Elite might be leaning more on the technical analytical end of the planar spectrum, which might not be the most enjoyable or palpable tuning for music playback. What I think we have here is a more technical specialized gaming headphone playing to the strengths of the planar driver. Not really a surprise here I guess. I think the Maxwell may yet be the better buy as it is more versatile with the different tuning plus custom profiles lending to a better blend of musicality and technicality, which we can see that folks in the audio community really enjoyed for gaming AND music playback, not just one or the other.

I'd say wait for reviews on this one but if Audeze is behind the driver and tuning for this set, you can at least expect a competent gaming experience which the Maxwell for me was an absolute game changer despite having a dozen or more planars to choose from.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Pulse 3D was not my favorite sounding headphone, especially not through the wireless dongle however it was a different story plugged directly into the PS5 controller. If you haven't tried it, I would recommend giving it a shot that way if you already have a Pulse 3D laying around. I was treated to a more musical and engaging experience, particularly with music.

As for Pulse Elite, just pulling some thoughts out of my ass. If you have never listened to a planar headphone before, there is a love/hate in relationship in the community with them because of how bright they can sound, almost to the point of being piercing, fatiguing and sibilant depending on your source. Planars can tend to have a thinner sounding midrange, brighter sounding upper mids, sparkly airy highs, 3D/holographic imaging and excellent separation of sounds on the stage. The bass can differ per tuning/driver but you can expect a fairly fast punchy sounding low end. The amount of slam and sub rumble varies as you make your way through the price ranges and amount of EQ put into it.

Based on the first impressions posted in this thread on that youtube video, I suspect that the Elite might be leaning more on the technical analytical end of the planar spectrum, which might not be the most enjoyable or palpable tuning for music playback. What I think we have here is a more technical specialized gaming headphone playing to the strengths of the planar driver. Not really a surprise here I guess. I think the Maxwell may yet be the better buy as it is more versatile with the different tuning plus custom profiles lending to a better blend of musicality and technicality, which we can see that folks in the audio community really enjoyed for gaming AND music playback, not just one or the other.

I'd say wait for reviews on this one but if Audeze is behind the driver and tuning for this set, you can at least expect a competent gaming experience which the Maxwell for me was an absolute game changer despite having a dozen or more planars to choose from.

Wait a minute....

Can you elaborate on this? I always use my Pulse 3D headset with PS5 via the USB dongle i plug into the front of the system. What is this method you speak of and do you get a better sound from it?

Last edited:

Rambone

Wait a minute....

Can you elaborate on this? I always use my Pulse 3D headset with PS5 via the USB dongle i plug into the front of the system. What is this method you speak of and do you get a better sound from it?

I had always used the USB dongle plugged into the front of the system myself until I came across a post on reddit where some dude insisted on having the Pulse 3D headphone cabled into his controller using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable claiming that it sounded better. Sure as shit, it did.

dm4qd8R.jpeg

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I had always used the USB dongle plugged into the front of the system myself until I came across a post on reddit where some dude insisted on having the Pulse 3D headphone cabled into his controller using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable claiming that it sounded better. Sure as shit, it did.
This is how I use mine too.

Eiknarf

Banned
So that means we’ll be able to do that with these upcoming Pulse Elite? Although the cable will be sold separately and be a USB C to 3.5mm

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

dm4qd8R.jpeg

Well damn, i had no idea! Gonna have to try this now. Do you find this drains your controller battery faster?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

dm4qd8R.jpeg
That's absolutely stupid and not true. it doesn't sound better.
These wireless headphones need their internal dac processing to sound their best.
Pulse 3d sounds fantastic through the original dongle.

Rambone

So that means we’ll be able to do that with these upcoming Pulse Elite? Although the cable will be sold separately and be a USB C to 3.5mm
There is USB C and 3.5mm AUX ports on the headphone. I would assume that you could manually wire your headphone to the controller just like the Pulse 3D.
Well damn, i had no idea! Gonna have to try this now. Do you find this drains your controller battery faster?
Maybe a little, haven't really paid much attention. Even if it does, it's inconsequential and a compromise I'm willing to take, plus I have controllers charged and on standby.

Rambone

That's absolutely stupid and not true. it doesn't sound better.
These wireless headphones need their internal dac processing to sound their best.
Pulse 3d sounds fantastic through the original dongle.

Folks can try and decide for themselves. Whether or not the internal dac of the headphone is the 'best' doesn't mean shit to subjective listening.

Eiknarf

Banned
There is USB C and 3.5mm AUX ports on the headphone. I would assume that you could manually wire your headphone to the controller just like the Pulse 3D.

Maybe a little, haven't really paid much attention. Even if it does, it's inconsequential and a compromise I'm willing to take, plus I have controllers charged and on standby.
Oh wow
There’s two different ports on the cans? Cool

I love to A/B shit, so I have no problem comparing the sound in the Elite’s via the dongle vs the ports on the Dualsense

I just don’t understand WHY using the ports would make it sound different from using the dongle?
I’m curious to know why?

Rambone

He's wrong about it being better.
Sorry for the confusion.
It's only my subjective opinion and your disagreement is your opinion. There is nothing to lose by trying this configuration. I would suggest doing music playback on spotify first, which is where I found this configuration to shine. Sound is a big YMMV.

Rambone

Oh wow
There’s two different ports on the cans? Cool

I love to A/B shit, so I have no problem comparing the sound in the Elite’s via the dongle vs the ports on the Dualsense

I just don’t understand WHY using the ports would make it sound different from using the dongle?
I’m curious to know why?

Possibly impedance, distortion, etc.

Top Bottom