• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have a 128gb and I have to shuffle things on and off the device. I have around 5 games on rotation at any one time. More than enough.

Anyone buy the d link airbridge? My router for my house is too clogged and busy. Is there a good router quest enthusiasts tend to buy? wait for wifi 7?

Resenge

Anyone buy the d link airbridge? My router for my house is too clogged and busy. Is there a good router quest enthusiasts tend to buy? wait for wifi 7?
My daughter's pc is too far away from the main router to get a good connection for Virtual Desktop so I have this router connected to my daughters pc through her ethernet and use Windows to share her wifi connetion to the router.

The Quest then connects to her router, that gives her a strong connection to her pc for streaming VR and a connection from the house router for the internet.

Cheap and works well enough, a but fiddly to set up and windows doesn't like to share the connection sometimes so you need to turn share connection on and off again for it to work but it does work well apart from those small annoyances.

Last edited:

Romulus

Not true. I don't mind having to clean the fridge. The download speed on the quest is fast.

Side note, this is my first post wearing my Q3 in the bathroom, hands free. You're welcome.

Yeah just saying download sizes are going up, not down. I've got 4 patches with games I plan on keeping, well over 20gb combined. That's just patches.
Sure it can be done but it's just getting started and already growing fast in terns of complexity. Hell in the Asgards Wrath 2 patch coming up is near 10gb. A patch.

On top of that I've got 30gb worth of emulation content and I haven't even got started yet. So over 50gb of patches and retro stuff, no games included. And we're barely getting started.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The lighting and reflections are the biggest changes in Walking Dead. The reflection of light in the zombies eyes is even creepier than ever, in a good way.

Maybe it was just an issue I had, but without those huge rings on the controllers, I don’t find myself hitting them together like I used to in this game. I would grab a zombie head with my left hand and swipe something into their head with my right hand.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, it’s up there. My top 5 are:

Half-Life Alyx
Resident Evil 4 Quest Edition
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners
Walkabout Mini-golf
Bonelab

Have you played the VR version of RE4 Remake yet? Curious if so why you prefer the original. I definitely couldn't do a top 5 without Village either. Also a little surprised Nexus and AW2 didn't make the cut for you, I'd think AW2 would be special enough to make top 5.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Have you played the VR version of RE4 Remake yet? Curious if so why you prefer the original. I definitely couldn't do a top 5 without Village either. Also a little surprised Nexus and AW2 didn't make the cut for you, I'd think AW2 would be special enough to make top 5.
I haven’t booted up AW2 yet. I almost put AW instead of Bonelab, but I played so much more Bonelab, and liked adding mods to it.

And no, I don’t have a psvr2. I went with Quest 3 instead. That way I can have a good vr headset that can connect to pc as well.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I haven’t booted up AW2 yet. I almost put AW instead of Bonelab, but I played so much more Bonelab, and liked adding mods to it.

And no, I don’t have a psvr2. I went with Quest 3 instead. That way I can have a good vr headset that can connect to pc as well.

Yeah, it's a very good choice imo, Quest 3 + PC VR, I generally go there first myself between the two headsets. Just so much more stuff available that way.

Even still, a little surprised to see stuff like Half-Life 2 and other VR ports missing like Doom 3, I haven't played them yet, but they are supposed to be something else.

But certainly soon when PS VR2 is PC compatible as well it will be a tougher choice (why not both I guess). Having PSVR2's massively more immersive colors/OLED panel definitely adds a lot to the experience, just too bad it's hampered by that horribly tight sweet spot and limited edge-to-edge clarity and mura. Still, the atmosphere it delivers with the true blacks and burn your eyes, bright vivid saturated colors is worth it in many cases.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I don’t VR enough to need more than one headset at a time.

I had a pretty cool moment last night on the couch with my wife. She had Prison Brides on the TV, and I was playing Fortnite (via Xbox game pass) and had it in playthrough mode. Being able to still see her, the tv and my game was pretty sweet.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Tonight I had my headset on for 3+ hours. I think it’s all thanks to the AMVR interface. It’s super soft and allows for good airflow.

I did it all tonight. I played Walking Dead, some Palworld, some Super Mario 3D Land via 3DS emulation and watched some pretty ladies on VR webcams.

I found using the quest controllers for 3DS unplayable, but thankfully were able to use an Xbox or switch pro controller. I as ready had my Xbox controller paired to my headset for game pass, so no extra work was required. I also love that the controller can be paired to my Series X and headset. Just double tap the sync button to switch between the two.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Anyone got a Compound referral code I can use?

I can use a code from a YouTuber, but I’d rather help someone here out.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
For reals, why have I only just found out about Compound? Game is a blast to play. I had a store credit of $5, plus o used a referral code. That put this game at $9.99 out the door. Game is a steal at that price.

You guys need to give it shot.

Fredrik

Why are we supposed to be okay with playing bottom of the barrel stuff as soon as it’s about VR/MR?
Every other platform would be slammed left and right in media and on boards for having lackluster software support.
I want a Quest 3 but I’m not spending a cent until I see a change in how the industry treat the platform. What’s everybody waiting for? Quest is bigger than Xbox. Where are the AAA games?

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Why are we supposed to be okay with playing bottom of the barrel stuff as soon as it’s about VR/MR?
Every other platform would be slammed left and right in media and on boards for having lackluster software support.
I want a Quest 3 but I’m not spending a cent until I see a change in how the industry treat the platform. What’s everybody waiting for? Quest is bigger than Xbox. Where are the AAA games?

We did just get Nexus which is a very good game, and Asgard's Wrath 2 in the last month or two, which is as AAA as you can get for VR.

VR isn't about the AAA games though, unfortunately. It's about the small stuff.

Though if AAA is what you want, we also got the UE injector, and that let's you play thousands of AAA games in VR. Which going by RE4 Remake's VR mode universal praise, is exactly what many want.

Rob_27

Just a thought. Are there any hacks to get the quest 3 working on a mac?

Use it mainly standalone. Or use the ps5 xsx etc but was just wondering if it would some how work with crossover or something.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just a thought. Are there any hacks to get the quest 3 working on a mac?

Use it mainly standalone. Or use the ps5 xsx etc but was just wondering if it would some how work with crossover or something.

What do you mean like using your Mac, Virtual Desktop and some others are available for Mac, VD on PC is the preferred way to stream PC VR.

So yeah, you can use VD on the Mac and run whatever VR stuff there is - which I'm not sure, but at the very least you'd have SBS videos and 3d emulators and be able to control your Mac remotely and locally from the Quest 3.

Like you could also do stuff like run a Plex server on the Mac (or a PC like I do) and stream from the Mac to the Quest 3 just using the native video apps on the Quest 3. And as a standalone you don't even need a PC... you can sideload games/run them off the headset of course.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Compound

GE3XUj9bIAABKo8

GE3XH9KasAA6pG0

GE3W-nna8AAPChr

GE3XPAvbAAA5Hnu

I love the look while in game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

We did just get Nexus which is a very good game, and Asgard's Wrath 2 in the last month or two, which is as AAA as you can get for VR.

VR isn't about the AAA games though, unfortunately. It's about the small stuff.

Though if AAA is what you want, we also got the UE injector, and that let's you play thousands of AAA games in VR. Which going by RE4 Remake's VR mode universal praise, is exactly what many want.
That’s like buying a Xbox to play AC Mirage and Lords of the Fallen and then just play indie games. Not worth the money.
Quest 3 is supposed to be stand-alone but as a stand-alone platform the games library is lackluster to say the least, especially if you already have a Quest 2 and thought you would get a new generation here. The UE VR mod is cool but it’s kinda the gaming community fixing a core problem with the whole industry because the industry is asleep for whatever reason. Are games selling like crap or what’s the deal? Quest is not a small platform at this point, like at all.

Romulus

That’s like buying a Xbox to play AC Mirage and Lords of the Fallen and then just play indie games. Not worth the money.
Quest 3 is supposed to be stand-alone but as a stand-alone platform the games library is lackluster to say the least, especially if you already have a Quest 2 and thought you would get a new generation here. The UE VR mod is cool but it’s kinda the gaming community fixing a core problem with the whole industry because the industry is asleep for whatever reason. Are games selling like crap or what’s the deal? Quest is not a small platform at this point, like at all.

VR went years of selling 1-2 million per year combined. That was about 2-3 years ago, and since then, quest 2 sold 10 million in one year by itself.

AAA games take about 2-3+ years to make. AC Nexus and Asgards Wrath 2 came out within a month of each other and were specifically designed for Quest. Last month actually.

But I would argue the library is very solid for newcomers. Walking Dead, Into the Radius, Dungeons of Eternity. There are at least two dozen games on that level that are not indie games. So you're absolutely wrong when you say it's a Assasins creed/asgards wrath 2 then a bunch of indies.

I disagree with the way you characterize uevr injector also. There is absolutely no way VR would be getting that many games. 600 titles in a year. Thats more than just "solving a problem."

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m still learning about games I never knew existed. Like Compound. I don’t even know how it crossed my path. I know it’s a year old, and it is a smaller game, but I can see myself playing it longer than I did Spider-Man 2.

Hot5pur

I think AAA is a very hard sell on VR right now. They tried doing that already in the early days of Oculus and couldn't break even on many games (eg. Insomniac made a few).

The install base may not be there, and whatever is there people just have a hard time working their way up to these complicated games either because they don't have VR legs, or they are worried about their space constraints, or sometimes they just don't want to stand for 2 hours straight.

Personally I like all scale games, from indie to AAA. For VR I have actually enjoyed more of the indie games much more as they have a really fun mechanic that isn't accessible in 2D. I especially like anything simulated like driving, ping pong, fishing (lol)....stuff I can just play in short bursts that is far more immersive than anything I could do on a 2D screen.

Looking forward, I prefer less AAA high production games and more immersive games that make you feel like you're really there. Kinda like in ready player one, whether it's more peripherals or clever programming (like they did with blade and sorcery to make it feel like weapons have weight). VR is all about immersion, less so than being a playable movie. One day I think these will merge but it's too early for that.

Romulus

I’m still learning about games I never knew existed. Like Compound. I don’t even know how it crossed my path. I know it’s a year old, and it is a smaller game, but I can see myself playing it longer than I did Spider-Man 2.

Might I recommend

Also since you have experience with emulators, I highly recommend Team Beef ports. You'll need the steam version of said games such as Doom 3, Jedi Outcast etc, but they're quite amazingly done. Even OG Doom 1 and 2 are awesome.

so just got my Quest 3 today ! set up is done , downloaded Asgards wrath , I plan to use it more for PCVR , so is Virtual Desktop the way to go ? its almost 30bucks....
or is there just as good free options?

so just got my Quest 3 today ! set up is done , downloaded Asgards wrath , I plan to use it more for PCVR , so is Virtual Desktop the way to go ? its almost 30bucks....
or is there just as good free options?
Shameless plug for Virtual Desktop. It worked best for wireless

Edit-I'm over 15 hours into Asgards Wrath 1. This game is HUGE.

Last edited:
so Ill sound like a noob but do I get this through the quest 3 or I get it on my PC ?
You download Virtual Desktop app on the Quest 3. Then you download Virtual Desktop on your PC as well. So both machines will have Virtual Desktop.
You run Virtual Destop on your PC then turn on your Quest 3 and start Virtual Desktop app.

Edit-But use the built in Meta app first before you blow money on Virtual Desktop, You might like it fine.
Steamlink VR is also free. It works about the same as meta's PC connect.

Last edited:
You download Virtual Desktop app on the Quest 3. Then you download Virtual Desktop on your PC as well. So both machines will have Virtual Desktop.
You run Virtual Destop on your PC then turn on your Quest 3 and start Virtual Desktop app.
awesome! thank you very much! I can redeem that 25% off anytime?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m absolutely loving Compound. It’s a rogue-lite shooter. You can save between levels. I guess in older build you couldn’t, as of now, you can save. The game is meant to be played on Medium. Easy is just that, way too easy. Here’s a little video I made.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Might I recommend

Also since you have experience with emulators, I highly recommend Team Beef ports. You'll need the steam version of said games such as Doom 3, Jedi Outcast etc, but they're quite amazingly done. Even OG Doom 1 and 2 are awesome.

Great example. I have never heard of it, and now have it on my wishlist. Looks great.

Can you provide a referral link? For when I do decide to buy Amid Evil.

I still need to start Asgards Wrath 2, lol.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Edit-But use the built in Meta app first before you blow money on Virtual Desktop, You might like it fine.
Steamlink VR is also free. It works about the same as meta's PC connect.
You purchase Virtual desktop in the quest store, then install the free virtual streamer app on your PC. You don't need virtual desktop classic from steam.

amigastar

I’m absolutely loving Compound. It’s a rogue-lite shooter. You can save between levels. I guess in older build you couldn’t, as of now, you can save. The game is meant to be played on Medium. Easy is just that, way too easy. Here’s a little video I made.

Wishlisted Compound, never heard about it. At The next sale i'm gonna get the game.

reinking

Gold Member

MarkMe2525

Can you shoot me a referral for compound?
Edit: nevermind, I see your referral

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I see a few of you accepted my referral. Awesome.

There are these needles you can use in the game to modify your run. There are pluses and negatives.

There are tons of things to unlock as well. I heard the game was made by one dude too. Very impressed. This dev has my attention.

Fredrik

VR went years of selling 1-2 million per year combined. That was about 2-3 years ago, and since then, quest 2 sold 10 million in one year by itself.

AAA games take about 2-3+ years to make. AC Nexus and Asgards Wrath 2 came out within a month of each other and were specifically designed for Quest. Last month actually.

But I would argue the library is very solid for newcomers. Walking Dead, Into the Radius, Dungeons of Eternity. There are at least two dozen games on that level that are not indie games. So you're absolutely wrong when you say it's a Assasins creed/asgards wrath 2 then a bunch of indies.

I disagree with the way you characterize uevr injector also. There is absolutely no way VR would be getting that many games. 600 titles in a year. Thats more than just "solving a problem."
Fair enough that was exaggerating too much but I’m just frustrated. Been waiting for years for something to change but even with new great devices and a big market nothing is changing. VR just gets lumped up in a corner of the industry all the time. Even here there is one thread like this for all VR talk instead of new threads and OTs for every game. One GOTY award for the whole VR industry instead of for each genre. Etc.
What needs to happen for VR to be taken seriously?

Top Bottom