• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

FrankWza

Key Points so far:

- Link connection is truly lossless, same quality as wired connection.
- AI sound filtering on the mic is unbelievable, demonstrates it with a hand hoover, which is completely eliminated.
- Much more comfortable than the original headset, has good swivelling cups.

Really good, in depth review. Covered every question except if the ear pads are replaceable. Unless I missed it? but it does look like they are S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE
They also managed to make them lightweight with Planars and a 30 hour battery. I know they're mostly plastic but still.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Key Points so far:

- Link connection is truly lossless, same quality as wired connection.
- AI sound filtering on the mic is unbelievable, demonstrates it with a hand hoover, which is completely eliminated.
- Much more comfortable than the original headset, has good swivelling cups.

Lossless wireless but folks will still say wire is better.
Honestly, wireless performance was already great for me on pulse3d.
Excited I have this preordered!

S0ULZB0URNE

Really good, in depth review. Covered every question except if the ear pads are replaceable. Unless I missed it? but it does look like they are S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE
They also managed to make them lightweight with Planars and a 30 hour battery. I know they're mostly plastic but still.
I'm still trying to find out and if so I will have another headset in my collection.

Borowski_1

That's not what the first review posted said.
If you choose to believe that

If you believe a cheap headset will be better than a headset made by one of the best headphone makers on the planet...

Maybe search LCD 3, LCD 5, LCD 4, CRBN

Here you're paying for the marketing and "features"

Trust someone who actually knows something about audio. Not random youtubers and IGN

S0ULZB0URNE

Lossless wireless but folks will still say wire is better.
Honestly, wireless performance was already great for me on pulse3d.
Excited I have this preordered!
Should be a noticeable sound quality upgrade.
I am not sure what the drivers are so I don't know if you will get a increase in volume.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Someone asked him about the ear pads in the comments. Here’s a screenshot of his reply:

0v3Mid6.jpg

FrankWza

If you believe a cheap headset will be better than a headset made by one of the best headphone makers on the planet...

Trust someone who actually knows something about audio. Not random youtubers and IGN
You said miles better. I don't think they will be as good, but they will certainly not be half as good and they are half the price. Most of the cost difference is probably in materials and the fact that audeze will pay more than Sony.

S0ULZB0URNE

You said miles better. I don't think they will be as good, but they will certainly not be half as good and they are half the price. Most of the cost difference is probably in materials and the fact that audeze will pay more than Sony.
From what the videos are saying the highs are overly high with the PE and the bass is lacking but precise.

Driver size difference which I don't know what it is(I'm guessing 40-50mm)with the PE is why it's $150 vs $300(90mm) Maxwell’s

Materials and build quality would be another factor although not as big.

I am surprised no voice chat/game volume rocker exists on the PE like it does on the Maxwell.

I wonder if any of this tech...

Can be implemented to the PE's?

TrebleShot

I’ll trust a renown reviewer producing frequency diagrams and who is known for in depth reviews.

I’ll also trust my own ears , I have most mainstream headsets or have had them and used to be a high end audio professional.

You do realise these are made by Audeze?

Clue is in the thumbnail.

S0ULZB0URNE

I’ll trust a renown reviewer producing frequency diagrams and who is known for in depth reviews.

I’ll also trust my own ears , I have most mainstream headsets or have had them and used to be a high end audio professional.

Did you watch the review?

skit_data

This guy goes in depth and also has a bunch of audiophile grade stuff for reference

Seems to be a good in depth channel, it's a shame he didn't review the Pulse Explore buds. Feels like those reviews were all over the place which I can sort of understand because the lackluster tips that came with them probably made them sound like crap to quite many.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

With how even Sony's $200 pro controller suffers from drift, something that was fixed on the Dreamcast's controller In 1999, I'm not spending any more money on Sony's accessories with their built in planned obsolescence.

If you were smart, you would wait on the long term reviews from people who used it for more then a week to see how long this device will even work for, or it's actual build quality.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
I go through a lot of gaming headsets for professional reasons. The Audeze Maxell was pretty disappointing to me, I really don't get the hype. They're just kind of loud, and the muddy all the different sounds together. Of course, this is subjective. It's annoying that you have to buy aftermarket cushions for them to be comfortable, which is the same experience I had the Penrose before.

Instead of getting the Pulse Explore buds I ended up selecting the InZone Buds. The main goal is to get an IEM that works great with PS5, but also for music when I walk the dog. They're ideal for PSVR2 and offer a great experience. I chose them because the Sony Pulse-branded headsets are a little flat when it comes to music, and the inzone tends to have better performance.

Overall, Sony has been killing it on these headsets.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

IF you can spend the extra 150, go for the Maxwell

You'll never regret that decision, trust me

If you can't stretch your budget, i get it

Borowski_1

Only the drivers are made by Audeze.

Audeze headphones are not the cheaply made in terms of materials and build quality, trust me.

FrankWza

IF you can spend the extra 150, go for the Maxwell

You'll never regret that decision, trust me

If you can't stretch your budget, i get it
That's not the point. You're saying they're miles better. They might not even be 50% better but they cost twice as much and they have features that the Maxwell’s don't. Sony owns Audeze now and these 2 releases are the first 2 of their partnership. Things are changing for console audio and for gaming audio.
Only the drivers are made by Audeze.

Audeze headphones are not the cheaply made in terms of materials and build quality, trust me.
This has nothing to do with Sound quality and features though. And those cheaper materials make it lighter and more comfortable for longer sessions. Did you not watch the video?

FrankWza

From what the videos are saying the highs are overly high with the PE and the bass is lacking but precise.

Driver size difference which I don't know what it is(I'm guessing 40-50mm)with the PE is why it's $150 vs $300(90mm) Maxwell’s

Materials and build quality would be another factor although not as big.

I am surprised no voice chat/game volume rocker exists on the PE like it does on the Maxwell.

I wonder if any of this tech...

Can be implemented to the PE's?
I would be surprised if they're that small but I can't find any info on it. I don't mind less bass but at least eq allows for some tuning.
If anyone has one try charging a dualsense on the cradle and see if it supports it

Digfox

Someone asked him about the ear pads in the comments. Here’s a screenshot of his reply:

This is a shame if that is the case.

Although hopefully different the last Sony PS headphones I owned; the Platinum set from the PS4 days, were easily the most uncomfortable headphone or headset I ever owned. The really thin earpads hid all the plastic underneath which would rub on the top of my ears (also the elastic headband put too much pressure on my head). The Pulse and Pulse Elite seem to have similar earpads that use plastic again but maybe this wouldn't be a problem. With the Platinums I ended up buying these cheap, thick fake leather pads from eBay for £8 and then having to rip the original pads off their plastic rings. Not ideal but it did solve one of the two problems with the Platinum for me, although I still really didn't use them much.

Otherwise the reviews seem solid and these look like a fantastic buy for £130 (where as the Maxwell's are £319 here in the UK).

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I can't mess with these type of cushions and they do wear out.
So I'll pass adding this to my collection.

Its a good option for those who have a certain budget but at $150 I would still consider other options.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Just buy a pair of HD 560s, Sundara, Pc38x, 6xx

And not this overhyped gaming headset (like most are)
I am not going to say not to buy these but I will endorse the PC38x. Fantastic clarity of sound and the mic is great. It is also very lightweight and the clamping force is almost nothing. I use my ATH-M50xBT2 for wireless and they are not uncomfortable at all, yet when I switch immediately from them to the PC38x it almost like nothing is there.
Edit: Unimportant but nice bonus detail: they look nice, too. This Pulse Elite is hideous.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not going to say not to buy these but I will endorse the PC38x. Fantastic clarity of sound and the mic is great. It is also very lightweight and the clamping force is almost nothing. I use my ATH-M50xBT2 for wireless and they are not uncomfortable at all, yet when I switch immediately from them to the PC38x it almost like nothing is there.
I am getting elites just because I never owned planar set. I am just curious and I bet many people will be at that price point and feature set

TheGrat1

I am getting elites just because I never owned planar set. I am just curious and I bet many people will be at that price point and feature set
I can not blame you for wanting to try it. When I was looking for new headphones planar piqued my interest as well. I might dip in just gotta find the right functionality at the right price.

Rambone

Planar headphones are awesome stuff for music or gaming. I like them so much I think I am closing in on nearly 2 dozen planar models between headphones and in ear monitors, I highly recommend them if you have the means to do them justice.

It's just a shame that most planar headphones have pretty poor sensitivity, talking about 92-93dB which makes it tough to get full volume and sonics out of controllers and even built in PC dacs that feed less than 2V RMS. Headphones like the Sundara do sound good on the PS5 but the 92dB sensitivity is kind of a cockburn having to turn the volume up to 100% to get satisfying volume levels 65-70dB. The Maxwell I've measured peaks at about 105dB playing TLOU over wireless, which nobody should be cranking volume up that loud but just saying, you should easily hit your desired volume level. As a connoisseur of planars, I think the Maxwell is the bee's knees and there is no doubt in my mind that it would be impossible for Sony and Audeze to Fu@k up with the Pulse Elite, even cheap well tuned planars I'm convinced can absolutely clean house. Just waiting for Audeze to start messing with Air Motion Transformer drivers, those are like Super Planars and sound absolutely incredible.

Rambone

I should probably also add that you need to be a little more gentle with closed back planar headphones, they are a little more prone to something called planar crinkle due to their thin diaphragm membranes. It's not a manufacturing defect but a nature of the beast. Planar crinkle is just as it sounds, there is kind of a crinkling sound that can be heard as the driver flexes from air pressure. Through normal use this will likely be avoided, just don't be slamming the headphone cups against the your head when taking them on/off. I've been able to replicate this on open backs, while it does take a bit of jackassery to do it, it's not impossible. While this doesn't seem to damage it, further crinkling seems to be easier to trigger there after.

Borowski_1

Edit: Unimportant but nice bonus detail: they look nice, too. This Pulse Elite is hideous.
For anyone who needs a Mic and can't spend 200+, the PC38X is best thing out there

Even better than the Maxwell in terms of being immersive, because of the soundsatge

Digfox

Another vote for the PC38X. I've only owned mine since last March but they've impressed me no end. I think they have the best tonal balance of any headphone or headset I've used for gaming (this might not be the best way to describe it). The HD 560S or TYGRs might do individual things better like detail, soundstage, imaging or separation but unless it's for specific games i.e. competitive Apex etc.) I think the PC38X is better for gaming. That's not necessarily something I expected when I got them. The other advantage is that they are very consistent and don't care what they are plugged into. They sound great plugged into a phone, console or PC without an AMP. They just don't care. They also are not fatiguing in any way and can be worn for hours.

My only negative on them, in total contrast to that comment above, is that they have an a strong clamping force on them out of the box. I had to leave mine on a yoga block for a good few days to get that out of them. But even now they have more clamp than Beyerdynamic's. Although it's not an issue once worn in.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

For anyone who needs a Mic and can't spend 200+, the PC38X is best thing out there

Even better than the Maxwell in terms of being immersive, because of the soundsatge
All those lose me when i see there's no options in the menu to adjust stuff on the fly.

I'm not about to go to my PC everytime i need to change settings.

This is why I buy Sony 1st Party, the integration is very important to me.

Borowski_1

All those lose me when i see there's no options in the menu to adjust stuff on the fly.

I'm not about to go to my PC everytime i need to change settings.

This is why I buy Sony 1st Party, the integration is very important to me.
The Pc38x has volume control on the side, and you can turn off the mic by pulling it up

And you can plug it on the controller and get good performance

You should check it out. I always like to help people with audio stuff.

FrankWza

If anyone comes across the info, can you please post the driver size and if you're able to charge a dualsense with the dock it comes with. Thanks

Digfox

If anyone comes across the info, can you please post the driver size and if you're able to charge a dualsense with the dock it comes with. Thanks

It can charge a Dualsense, this was mentioned in one of the YouTube videos I watched yesterday (can't remember who's atm). Only thing is the Dualsense can wobble but uses the same connectors.

If I can find the vid later I'll post it.

EDIT: This video at 6.19

Haven't seen the driver specs. Although do planar drivers measure size in the same way as a dynamic driver?

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The Pc38x has volume control on the side, and you can turn off the mic by pulling it up

And you can plug it on the controller and get good performance

You should check it out. I always like to help people with audio stuff.

If you like to help, I will gladly ask for info. I have a Pulse 3D and a cheap headset Razer, probably Kraken, who stopped working recently after a few years. I found the Razer comfortable to use and liked it. Because I found the 3D not comfortable and have a not very good mic, I am looking for another one. How good would the elite be? And how good is the Pc38 in comparison?

Borowski_1

If you like to help, I will gladly ask for info. I have a Pulse 3D and a cheap headset Razer, probably Kraken, who stopped working recently after a few years. I found the Razer comfortable to use and liked it. Because I found the 3D not comfortable and have a not very good mic, I am looking for another one. How good would the elite be? And how good is the Pc38 in comparison?

Compared to those, the PC38X is an open-back headphone. Which means sound will get in and out. People around you will be able to hear what you hear, and vice versa

But with an open-back headphone, the sound is more open and natural. It feels like the sound is coming from the outside and around you, instead of being trapped between your ears. Sometimes, in certain games, you wonder if the sound is coming from outside or if it's from the game. It's pretty immersive

In terms of comfort they will be more comfortable, because it uses velour earpads instead of fake leather. They breathe a lot more, which means your ears won't get as hot. Also, the pads are bigger and deeper. Your ears won't touch the drivers

Before i got into audio in 2020, i used a Sony Gold for the PS4. They were so unconfortable and hot that i coulsn't use them for more than 1h

So yeah, IF i needed a mic, the PC38X is what i'd use. But i don't play online, so i use the Sennheiser HD 560s and the Sennheiser IE 300 with a dac/amp connected to the PS5

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Compared to those, the PC38X is an open-back headphone. Which means sound will get in and out. People around you will be able to hear what you hear, and vice versa

But with an open-back headphone, the sound is more open and natural. It feels like the sound is coming from the outside and around you, instead of being trapped between your ears. Sometimes, in certain games, you wonder if the sound is coming from outside or if it's from the game. It's pretty immersive

In terms of comfort they will be more comfortable, because it uses velour earpads instead of fake leather. They breathe a lot more, which means your ears won't get as hot. Also, the pads are bigger and deeper. Your ears won't touch the drivers

Before i got into audio in 2020, i used a Sony Gold for the PS4. They were so unconfortable and hot that i coulsn't use them for more than 1h

So yeah, IF i needed a mic, the PC38X is what i'd use. But i don't play online, so i use the Sennheiser HD 560s and the Sennheiser IE 300 with a dac/amp connected to the PS5
Thanks. I don't really need a mic for gaming but for roleplaying sessions. It seems to be a lot of what I want in a headset.

omegasc

I want one, but it seems the release will take some time here in Brazil. I don't see any stores with pre-order or any mention of it, except for the official PS page.

Top Bottom