• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro | Review Thread + OT |

onQ123

I hate what they are doing to my dream

4bNkdxk.jpg

Delt31

I bought one and writing this in the headset. it’s truly next gen and will explain shortly. Just having so much fun with it.

And I’m a gamer for sure. Just got done playing cod mw3 on it using moonlight and streaming to the headset 4k 120 and the screen is just as clear as the 83 g3 oled I have upstairs. Apple did it. I’ve owned all the vr headsets including big screen beyond and Varjo aero. These displays are the clearest I’ve ever seen and it’s not even close. If you have the disposable cash for it and want to feel like you’re living in minority Report movie this is it.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I bought one and writing this in the headset. it’s truly next gen and will explain shortly. Just having so much fun with it.

And I’m a gamer for sure. Just got done playing cod mw3 on it using moonlight and streaming to the headset 4k 120 and the screen is just as clear as the 83 g3 oled I have upstairs. Apple did it. I’ve owned all the vr headsets including big screen beyond and Varjo aero. These displays are the clearest I’ve ever seen and it’s not even close. If you have the disposable cash for it and want to feel like you’re living in minority Report movie this is it.
If you just consider this a single person replacement for a high end large oled to then it’s worth for that alone. Anything else is a bonus.

Minsc

Gold Member
If you just consider this a single person replacement for a high end large oled to then it’s worth for that alone. Anything else is a bonus.

I think it's still not priced accordingly, for a few reasons.

1) A high end OLED is closer to 2k than 4k.
2) I fully expect within a few years someone on the non-Apple side will match it, but for cheaper (and with the ability to run VR games with VR controllers).
3) Much like the PSVR2 *really* costs $1100 or so, this *really* costs closer to $6000 imo, because it's a waste if you don't have a MBP to compliment it (and you also need an iPhone or iPad to setup your face scan).
4) The second or third version of this device will make this one look a lot like a waste of money IMO, it has a few weaknesses that if corrected will really hurt the resale value here.

So if you have absolutely no apple products it's a way, way worse value proposition than say a similar/better teched Android/PC headset at ~$2k a few years down the road.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It seems the biggest issue would be the discomfort of using it. And if it's going to be a TV and PC alternative, it might have a cable to keep it constantly connected to electricity (I don't know if you can use it like that, without ruining the batteries).

I will wait for newer iterations. Come on, Apple fans, pour your money into it so they can improve it and make it smaller, lighter, cheaper.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Tbf it looks cool but from all the reviews I've watched it's strictly a 1st gen product and therefore only worth it to those with the disposable cash available, when it gets to Gen 3 onwards then it'll truly be what Apple set out to create and that's probably when I'll bite

2) I fully expect within a few years someone on the non-Apple side will match it, but for cheaper (and with the ability to run VR games with VR controllers).
3) Much like the PSVR2 *really* costs $1100 or so, this *really* costs closer to $6000 imo, because it's a waste if you don't have a MBP to compliment it (and you also need an iPhone or iPad to setup your face scan).
4) The second or third version of this device will make this one look a lot like a waste of money IMO, it has a few weaknesses that if corrected will really hurt the resale value here.

So if you have absolutely no apple products it's a way, way worse value proposition than say a similar/better teched Android/PC headset at ~$2k a few years down the road.

Wow that was a lot of bull and turd lol. In a few years there will be a new model of this thing as well, it’s not like this is the product and that’s it forever.

Alternative products with similar specs later are not going to sell cheaper, and will still be considerable worse than this headset. They didn’t put a mobile chipset in here, it’s a full M2 chip. They also use the best screens/resolution there is right now, everything generally “just works” as well.

Sure there will be Android or Windows clones of this stuff later, but I’m a 100% sure they won’t give you the same flawless experience by then and it won’t be cheaper unless they use worse chips, which means it’s inferior already anyway.

Considering it to be 6k lol. I can understand the added cost for the phone, but the MacBook argument is just silly since the headset literally has a MacBook m2 chipset.

And what about argument 4? Of course the next versions are going to be better. Would be weird if they wouldn’t. Of course the value of gen 1 will go down, please tell me of any, any thing in the world where gen 1 of something keeps its value after gen 2 and so on is released lol.

Also, a real high end oled does cost more than 2k, unless you mean the slightly above average models, those hover around 2k

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think I'm wrong on any of those points.

I am conceding time when talking about point 2. At the moment you're right but in a few years, perhaps not. Plus this full M2 chip apparently has a lot of lag/issues running stuff that the mobile chipset on the Quest 3 runs perfectly, like Synth Riders. As well I have seen more than a few comments about it being a poor choice for longevity at that price for not having an M3 - apparently there's some really good things M3 does M2 doesn't.

Yes, certainly if you don't have an iPhone currently, the headset will be limited compared to having one. Regardless of whether you only use it for movies (which at that price why wouldn't you want access to all it's functions), there's a large number of things that would be unavailable vs if you did have an iPhone.

And yes, I see a MBP as pretty important to this device as well, due to the way it can extend the screen from the MBP and is integrated in to it. It may have an M2 chipset, but it cannot run the same programs / apps as a MBP, so saying it's equivalent is a lie imo.

Can you put desktop versions of Chrome, Photoshop, and Steam on this headset? So yes, a MBP greatly enhances this device, while a normal PC does not in the same way. It's made to work with specifically a MBP.

Furthermore would you ever claim you could work on this device for a job without any sort of PC/Laptop? Like the "full M2" chip is a complete replacement for not having a laptop? And you can manage your files on the OS, downloads, and everything just the same as a PC? So no, it's not a PC replacement just because it has a full M2 chip, you still need a laptop/PC and the best one to choose for this device IMO and in general is a MBP.

Lastly you can absolutely get an LG OLED for ~2k, and it's not like an LG OLED from 2 years ago or even last year is suddenly not high end. Even so, an LG C3 OLED 77" is currently ~2200 on Amazon, and you can certainly do a 65" for closer to $1500. And either of those choices would not have the image retention issues of this device, which are from impressions I have seen in various reviews and impressions posted by some who used them, absolutely noticeable.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

You might be luckier then I am but large OLED TV's in the UK would cost more then an AVP.

Minsc

Gold Member
You might be luckier then I am but large OLED TV's in the UK would cost more then an AVP.

I mean that 77" LG one I linked above probably will go on sale for under $2k soon enough, but even still, just under $2.2k is right there. I currently have a 65", so 77" would be a nice upgrade and I doubt I'd go larger without wall mounting, which I don't really care for, I prefer the on a stand look myself.

Reallink

It seems the biggest issue would be the discomfort of using it. And if it's going to be a TV and PC alternative, it might have a cable to keep it constantly connected to electricity (I don't know if you can use it like that, without ruining the batteries).

I will wait for newer iterations. Come on, Apple fans, pour your money into it so they can improve it and make it smaller, lighter, cheaper.
They could already half the weight and reduce the size by probably 50% simply by getting rid of the worthless Googly eyes screen and not making it out of fucking glass and metal. But Apple’s M.O. is remaking existing things slightly different just for the sake of being different even when it's objectively inferior and worse, like the Apple TVs terrible touch remote, or their OS's laundry list of utterly nonsensical design choices that serve no purpose but to be intentionally obtuse just to say they're different from Windows or Android.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
100% on board for this when they release the third iteration and bring the price down to 2500.

Doing my job with this thing on would be wild.

Trilobit

So this part from this video at about 8:02 really felt like what I've been hoping for:

Never ran out of battery power, and after a couple of hours of running around the streets of New York—unlike in a controlled environment—my brain sort of clicked. It just forgot that I was looking through cameras and screens; it took what it saw as reality. That's where this profound moment came from. As I sat there in Times Square on a bench, strangers all around me, the real world moving, I had a big screen up where I was watching a MrBeast video. Over here, I had a keyboard to interact with, and on another side, I had my iMessages. On yet another side, there was my Apple TV, and all my apps were floating in Times Square in the middle of New York City.

I was actually there, surrounded by real humans, and in that moment, I thought, "This is it. This is the future of computing that everyone's been promising for the last 15 years." It wasn't just the future of AR or VR; it was the future interface for all computing. I believe that when they figure out how to make these not be heavy $4,000 metal ski goggles, but maybe something that looks like these glasses or even smaller, that will be it. In the morning, you won't remember your phone; you'll put it on, and that's it. It will be like, "Hold on, I've got a call. Hey, what's up, Mom? I'll call you back. You look great, by the way."

That's what it's going to look like. These devices show me, as a geek, that this is the thing I've been looking for forever. They did it right here on a product that's so new; it has been out for only 12 hours, and I felt it.

What he says isn't groundbreaking, but it's the emotions he tries to convey that really made me pause. That part where your brain accepts the augmented/mixed reality and it becomes second nature. That's where I've felt for quite some time that we should be going, as if feels like the next step in humanity's digital development. But it'll never become mainstream until the tech can be shrunk down to the size of a pair of sunglasses. And I think and hope that it's exactly what Apple is aiming for even if it takes over ten or twenty iterations to get there. Once we're there it'll vastly change our digital experience.

WitchHunter

Banned
You look like a scuba diver in that shit. It always baffled me why can't a trillion $ company hire proper industrial designers. They have fucking awesome concept designers, not that their work ever surface besides Artstation, and they want thousands for a product that looks like shit, half assed, and just plain unfixable by an average joe.

cyberheater

I mean that 77" LG one I linked above probably will go on sale for under $2k soon enough, but even still, just under $2.2k is right there. I currently have a 65", so 77" would be a nice upgrade and I doubt I'd go larger without wall mounting, which I don't really care for, I prefer the on a stand look myself.
Very nice. it’s amazing how the prices have come down. Still more expensive in the UK (£2.7k) but that might come down aswell.

cyberheater

You look like a scuba diver in that shit. It always baffled me why can't a trillion $ company hire proper industrial designers. They have fucking awesome concept designers, not that their work ever surface besides Artstation, and they want thousands for a product that looks like shit, half assed, and just plain unfixable by an average joe.
You don’t know what you are talking about. It’s the best looking VR headset out there with the best tech.

Robb

Gold Member
So much for Apple saving VR.. Infinitely more expensive and marginally better than what’s already available from the looks of it. Seems like 50% of the price is just you covering Apple’s R&D costs.

WitchHunter

Banned
You don’t know what you are talking about. It’s the best looking VR headset out there with the best tech.
You still look like an idiot with those greyish rubber head straps. Like it's straight from the 90s, sans the screen.

I'd like to know who made these companies sharp their weeners so hard about this VR madness. What's the ultimate reward? The tech is still not there.

Last edited:

Ribi

You still look like an idiot with those greyish rubber head straps. Like it's straight from the 90s, sans the screen.

I'd like to know who made these companies sharp their weeners so hard about this VR madness. What's the ultimate reward? The tech is still not there.
It's incremental steps forward to show there's a market and build off the past devices while showing investors.

Same for flying cars, jet packs, and so on. There has to be a start somewhere and money has to come in somehow to fund the research that could span decades.

VR rn is a glimpse into a future that you might not be ali for, it's meant for people to get that taste in case they never get to experience first hand when it does come.

cyberheater

when was the last time you tried VR and on what headset?

WitchHunter

Banned
It's incremental steps forward to show there's a market and build off the past devices while showing investors.

Same for flying cars, jet packs, and so on. There has to be a start somewhere and money has to come in somehow to fund the research that could span decades.

VR rn is a glimpse into a future that you might not be ali for, it's meant for people to get that taste in case they never get to experience first hand when it does come.
yeah, yeah, still the whole thing feels forced and alien. Someone made this VR bullshit up and now everyone tries to be in it. It is still like 3D TV.

RayHell

I don't care about the look
I don't care about the brand
I just care about the practicality and efficiency.

AVP is neither of those. It's still faster to chat/call/lazy social scroll on your phone than on your VR device. I already saw videos of people checking their notifications on their phone through the Vision Pro passthrough proving just that.
Portability is also unpractical. It's big, heavy and it has a short battery life. You mostly never gonna wear it outside casually unless you want to attract the attention on the 3500$ device you just bought.
Also you don't have the ability to share your experience like with a Phone or TV.
Now for the computing part. For my work I rather just sit and start working on my PC than sit, strap a hot and heavy device on my head, manage the battery, get limited to one monitor, wiggle my arm around to interact with apps.
And there's also the motion sickness for some even if the AVP is probably the the best in that regard.

Think about this. Your mom probably own a smartphone because it's practical and she see the benefit of having to deal with that. Now think if she would deal with a Vision Pro in her day to day life.
It's a big technological advancement, it's cool and there's a wow factor but it's gonna wear of pretty fast and because it's impractical, this will block the wider adoption. Specially at that price point.

Last edited:

calistan

All headsets look pretty goofy at the moment but the Apple one is probably the slickest design so far. I like the rounded edges.

I’ve got an Oculus Rift cv1, which is a bulky facehugger that has to be tethered to a PC with external cameras. I also have a Quest Pro, which is smaller, self contained, and doesn’t clamp over your face.

The Apple one seems to fit more like the Rift, but looks better than the Quest Pro from the outside. I couldn’t imagine wearing any of them in public though.

diffusionx

Gold Member

The head strap that Apple is showing off with the device, and the one that people are using it with, is so bad in terms of comfort and usability that Apple is also packing in one with the standard over the head strap to balance out the weight better.

Ribi

yeah, yeah, still the whole thing feels forced and alien. Someone made this VR bullshit up and now everyone tries to be in it. It is still like 3D TV.
well the final step is brain chips, everything is made up. Ideas are based on other ideas and improved but those ideas were created.

Think of the wheel, a stone wheel at first, then wood, then rubber and modernized. People saw the original idea, that was made up, thought it was a good producted that needed to be improved overtime and so thats what happened.

Even VR is just an extension of TV. Videosgames are an extension of "i want to do X but i physically cant" so i play games, then people saw that idea and said lets improve on it and make it more immersive. The notion that VR is just some rich kids plaything and has no reason to exist is short sighted. It is an incrimental step to the final form. That final form would be physical and realistic simulation in a small form factor.

Now apple pro is more of a PC on your head as opposed to VR. The next step from phones. You have the pc, then the laptop, then the phone, and now an AR mac on your head with flexiibity to use a virtual desktop anywhere. I think thats when it clicked with me, that Apple didn't market this as a VR competitor, they straight up said this is a mobile pc on your eyes. This is another step towards glasses pc, then maybe brain chips. These ideas don't spawn overnight and evaporate, they are expanded upon and that's what you'll be seeing here in the coming years.

calistan

The head strap that Apple is showing off with the device, and the one that people are using it with, is so bad in terms of comfort and usability that Apple is also packing in one with the standard over the head strap to balance out the weight better.
I had to buy an over-the-head strap for the Quest Pro to relieve the weight, as the basic strap leaves a massive red mark on my forehead. There’s no ideal way of mounting such a heavy device to your face.

WitchHunter

Banned
well the final step is brain chips, everything is made up. Ideas are based on other ideas and improved but those ideas were created.

Think of the wheel, a stone wheel at first, then wood, then rubber and modernized. People saw the original idea, that was made up, thought it was a good producted that needed to be improved overtime and so thats what happened.

Even VR is just an extension of TV. Videosgames are an extension of "i want to do X but i physically cant" so i play games, then people saw that idea and said lets improve on it and make it more immersive. The notion that VR is just some rich kids plaything and has no reason to exist is short sighted. It is an incrimental step to the final form. That final form would be physical and realistic simulation in a small form factor.

Now apple pro is more of a PC on your head as opposed to VR. The next step from phones. You have the pc, then the laptop, then the phone, and now an AR mac on your head with flexiibity to use a virtual desktop anywhere. I think thats when it clicked with me, that Apple didn't market this as a VR competitor, they straight up said this is a mobile pc on your eyes. This is another step towards glasses pc, then maybe brain chips. These ideas don't spawn overnight and evaporate, they are expanded upon and that's what you'll be seeing here in the coming years.
The problem is with the trajectory... and the idea that this is somehow needed. VR can offer nothing to replace mobiles at the moment. In its current form it will never go mainstream, it will at best remain a niche entertainment device. So from high up all I see that this is a deliberate effort to further stupefy people and push down another costly gimmick down their throats, Because some born as retard needs the control pill, otherwise "it" won't get a hard on. Fuck this shit.

Brain chips... so they could give people "skills" they already have, just suppressed because old age things? har har

Sick, sick, very sick people (people?) push these aberrations on humans.

Last edited:

Guntherlibby

Neo Member
I'm a big VR user and currently own a Meta Quest 3.

I did the in-store VP demo today.

Overall, I would say I was impressed, but not amazed.

The device is so front heavy. I wasn't in any discomfort after having it on for 30 minutes, but you could certainly feel the weight. I tried both bands. I preferred the dual band one, but the solo band wasn't bad after I adjusted it a bit.

The FoV is noticeably smaller than MQ3. It sucks being able to clearly see the black edges.

Passthrough was good, but not great. If the MQ3 passthrough is 480p, then the AVP feels like 720p. It still very much feels like you are looking at the world through a screen. Overall I would say this was what I was most disappointed by.

The finger tracking and using your fingers to manipulate the UI were fantastic. The eye tracking worked well, but it feels like 2% of the time it didn't focus on what my eyes were focusing on. If it were to work 99.9% of the time then it would be great, but I was a little frustrated by it.

Screen resolution was better than my MQ3. Watching a movie on it was great, but imo the resolution is just still not pixel perfect. Leaves a little to be desired.

The demo certainly didn't make me think I absolutely have to buy one today.

I really would like to try productivity stuff like connecting it to my Macbook for work. But for that I'll have to buy it and try it for 2 weeks and then return it, which I will probably do at some point.

If AVP supported games like my MQ3 does, I would pay the price for the AVP. But for now, I think I am in "wait and see mode" until there is more use cases for the AVP.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Vision Pro seems to be tanking hard. Not just because there has been zero posts since Monday in the OT.

I plan to book a demo for my LA layover in March. I figured I would check how long the wait is to get one, should I enjoy it a lot. Turns out the shipping is unchanged from launch, 2-3 weeks. But more damningly, the product is available for immediate pickup from all the LA stores I checked.

All headsets look pretty goofy at the moment ...
I would assume that even when we reach glasses sized VR sets, it will still look dumb like sunglasses indoors always do.
Contact lenses might be the only way in ever making VR not look stupid. And then I guess a shrink to that size is less possible than having some neural interface bypassing the eyes completely.

Minsc

Gold Member
Vision Pro seems to be tanking hard. Not just because there has been zero posts since Monday in the OT.

I plan to book a demo for my LA layover in March. I figured I would check how long the wait is to get one, should I enjoy it a lot. Turns out the shipping is unchanged from launch, 2-3 weeks. But more damningly, the product is available for immediate pickup from all the LA stores I checked.

It's not exactly rocket science that a $3500 ($4000 w/ taxes) product with a few very severe shortcomings cannot sustain interest after the launch... sure it does a lot of stuff/great perfect, but if you're someone who actually cares about money, it's basically a non-starter, there's literally no argument outside super niche use cases that it is worth the money.

Top Bottom