• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro | Review Thread + OT |

Draugoth

Gold Member
apple-vision-pro_1_862849.png

2zLXgOh.png

oxzQJIS.png

Written Reviews:
TheVerge - 7.0/10.0
That is a lot of tradeoffs — big tradeoffs, not little ones. And the biggest tradeoff of all is that using the Vision Pro is such a lonely experience, regardless of the weird ghost eyes on the front. You’re in there, having experiences all by yourself that no one else can take part in. After using the Vision Pro for a while, I’ve come to agree with what Tim Cook has been saying for so long: headsets are inherently isolating. That’s fine for traditional VR headsets, which have basically turned into single-use game consoles over the past decade, but it’s a lot weirder for a primary computing device.
CNet- 7.8/10.0
A personal cinema? A wearable iPad? A doorway to immersive futures? This is Apple's wildest and strangest device.
CNBC - Recommended
I’d buy the Vision Pro right now if I had an extra $3,500. I’d even consider trading in my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro to offset the cost since the headset gives me a lot of the same capabilities. But that’s not an option.
TomsGuide - 4.0/5.0
The Apple Vision Pro is a truly amazing product that delivers futuristic eye- and hand-tracking interface along with breathtaking 3D video and truly impressive AR apps. It’s also a magical way to extend your Mac. But there’s some early performance bugs that need to be worked out, the battery can get in the way, and Digital Persona is a bit creepy and needs work.

Video Reviews

Zuzu

Despite the price and the advancement of technology over the years it still has a number of the major tradeoffs of VR headsets and motion-based input. The weight is high which makes it uncomfortable for long-term use. The use of cameras and screens to represent reality still isn’t quite good enough. And, just like we saw with Kinect, hand-tracking is still imprecise and inferior to using a direct input device like a controller, mouse, keyboard etc.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It still has some major tradeoffs despite the price. The weight is high which makes it uncomfortable for long-term use. The use of cameras and screens to represent reality still isn’t quite good enough. And, just like we saw with Kinect, hand-tracking is still imprecise and inferior to using a direct input device like a controller, mouse, keyboard etc.
Don’t worry. Apple will sell their controller(s) later.

Guntherlibby

Neo Member
I would be way more interested in VP if it actually had games or even a way to stream VR games from my PC to it.

Until then I will have zero interest at this price point.

3.5k for a device that I will only watch movies on?

No thanks.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Isn’t there a cheaper, more consumer focused version coming soon? This was designed for commercial use I thought?

So it's an AR device in VR form factor using video passthrough for AR? No thanks I'll stick with AR devices while not getting VR issues.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So far from the reviews it's an expensive solution desperately looking for a problem.
This is a perfect description. Regardless of how good the headset is, no one can convince me that it’s simpler than opening up your laptop. I still have yet to see any killer improvements to standard workflows, even in comparison to any other AR/XR glasses.

Then again, I initially thought the iPad was a dumb idea, and I was insanely wrong about that. So who knows.

Sorcerer

I have a feeling that this is going to be the next tool that Ghost Hunters will adopt, with that Spatial 3D environment recording. Similar to how portable tape recorders and EMF meters became staple tools for them.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sounds like what a Quest 3 'Pro' would be but limited by the apple ecosystem and with an apple price.

Sorcerer

I would be way more interested in VP if it actually had games or even a way to stream VR games from my PC to it.

Until then I will have zero interest at this price point.

3.5k for a device that I will only watch movies on?

No thanks.
I thought it was at least supposed to be compatible with Apple Arcade, but no one is reporting on it. I guess its just those games on a big screen in front of your eyes at the moment.

Sorcerer

Insanely cool initially it seems. But nothing you can't live without. Add to the fact that you are tethered to that 2 hour battery pack, I have a feeling the novelty will wear off and it will sit back in its box after a week. I hope those early adopters find justification in their purchase.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I thought it was at least supposed to be compatible with Apple Arcade, but no one is reporting on it. I guess its just those games on a big screen in front of your eyes at the moment.
From one of the reviews they have a mixed reality version of that wacky golf game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just finished the review video from the Verge and it’s one of the best, most articulate tech reviews I’ve ever seen. He goes into detail as to why some aspects of spatial computing may never work or be worth the trade off, regardless of how good it gets. He highlights the incredible tech well, but also gives a very measured and realistic look at its practical use cases. Fantastic review, I definitely recommend watching it.

As for me, I reaaaalllly want to experience the headset for myself, but I already know it’s not a device I’d use daily. I’ll probably buy one, use it for a week, then return it. 🤷

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Insanely cool initially it seems. But nothing you can't live without. Add to the fact that you are tethered to that 2 hour battery pack, I have a feeling the novelty will wear off and it will sit back in its box after a week. I hope those early adopters find justification in their purchase.

Is that what that iJustine says or your opinion? Before you’re like ‘watch the video’ just a genuine question.

Sorcerer

Is that what that iJustine says or your opinion? Before you’re like ‘watch the video’ just a genuine question.
No that's just my opinion. Sorry If Implied otherwise. She shows off some cool stuff, but nothing that screams out I must have this for $3500 bucks. Of course, iJustine is going to like it. It's an Apple product. She is more of an Apple fan, than a critical reviewer. But that's fine. All perspectives are important/welcome.

Last edited:

Guntherlibby

Neo Member
Yep, it blows my mind that Apple has a dedicated gaming subscription service that they are not integrating with their VR headset at all.

Guntherlibby

Neo Member
I just finished the review video from the Verge and it’s one of the best, most articulate tech reviews I’ve ever seen. He goes into detail as to why some aspects of spatial computing may never work or be worth the trade off, regardless of how good it gets. He highlights the incredible tech well, but also gives a very measured and realistic look at its practical use cases. Fantastic review, I definitely recommend watching it.

As for me, I reaaaalllly want to experience the headset for myself, but I already know it’s not a device I’d use daily. I’ll probably buy one, use it for a week, then return it. 🤷
As a Meta Quest 3 owner, I think that what he says about spatial computing is pretty accurate. It just really can't replace having a good setup at home.

If you're traveling, living in a motor home, or the VP is the only screen that you have then it works good as a replacement.

Dacvak

As a Meta Quest 3 owner, I think that what he says about spatial computing is pretty accurate. It just really can't replace having a good setup at home.

If you're traveling, living in a motor home, or the VP is the only screen that you have then it works good as a replacement.
Makes sense. I recently got some nice XR glasses, and they work great as a monitor replacement in tight spaces. I got a bunch of work done on my last flight, then played some PC games on a “huge” virtual screen. Definitely neat, and useful in very novel and specific situations. I guess if I was stupid-rich, I’d love to buy a Vision Pro for those handfuls of situations.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This honestly sounds fucking awful. Instead of focusing on literally anything that VR/MR can do that no other medium can, they've just made the whole thing into a worse (or "impressively passable") way to do the sorts of mundane computing things we all take for granted.

I think the general computing stuff is something that MR should do and a big step forward, but it is still fundamentally the side-dish, and there's just no main course here, no real next-level VR content to make you feel magically transported to another world. It is a smart TV that only plays Spotify.

Top Bottom