• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro to have 100 arcade games on day one, partnering with Unity.

"Unity shares surged as much 26% and trading was halted after Apple on Monday said that it’s working with the game-development software maker as part of the release of its Apple Vision Pro headset. The move means Unity stock is on track for its second largest daily gain since its New York Stock Exchange debut in 2020.

Apple is working to build the third-party ecosystem of apps that people will be able to use in the $3,499 device. The iPhone maker said Adobe, Cisco and Microsoft are among the companies bringing out Vision Pro apps.

“We know there is an community of developers who have been building incredible 3D apps for years,” Susan Prescott, Apple’s vice president of worldwide developer relations, said during Apple’s keynote. “Today, we are excited to share that we’ve been working with Unity to bring those apps to Vision Pro, so popular Unity-based games and apps can gain full access to VisionOS features such as Passthrough, high-resolution rendering and native gestures.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/05/uni...1percent-on-apple-vision-pro-partnership.html

Last edited:

drezz

No controllers...

I guess if they had some "Quest Pro Controllers" with their own cameras for tracking... It could do some great VR games.

ZoukGalaxy

Can't wait to get 100 version of Beat Saber and Candy Crush VR.

Happy The Goldbergs GIF by TV Land

drezz

It works with bluetooth controllers, the video shows a PS5 controller being used.

Apple itself will have zero control methods other than your fingers.
Yeah, but I meant for VR games, not basketball and hand-egg.

If they did have some for of VR controllers, to at least have Unity™ with what the games.

Sorcerer

It works with bluetooth controllers, the video shows a PS5 controller being used.

Apple itself will have zero control methods other than your fingers.
Weird that Apple has no interest in designing a controller and charging $300 for it. Apple TV lets you hook up Xbox, and Playstation controllers and even config the buttons, but nothing for backpaddles yet.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Unity. So no shadows for any character. I'll pass.

Holammer

Partnering with Unity was inevitable. I don't see how all the shit Apple had to put up with Epic will be water under the bridge anytime soon.

Eotheod

Unity. So no shadows for any character. I'll pass.
Clearly you only play shit Unity games that are spewed out with default assets. Unity has shadow rendering, and has had it for awhile now. Developers just need to actually have shadow maps, or use RTX for lighting.

Yes, Unity has in the past been an engine utilised for it's simple pipelines and more graphical development friendly interface, but it is still a powerful engine. I'll always sing praises on Unity, as it's an exceptionally powerful engine under the hood with some API tweaks.

Dr_Ifto

Clearly you only play shit Unity games that are spewed out with default assets. Unity has shadow rendering, and has had it for awhile now. Developers just need to actually have shadow maps, or use RTX for lighting.

Yes, Unity has in the past been an engine utilised for it's simple pipelines and more graphical development friendly interface, but it is still a powerful engine. I'll always sing praises on Unity, as it's an exceptionally powerful engine under the hood with some API tweaks.
Have you seen the drivel that is VR games for the most part?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Can you name some Unity VR games with shadows? Every time I see the Unity logo I think here we go, no shadows and I’ve not be wrong yet,

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, but I meant for VR games, not basketball and hand-egg.

If they did have some for of VR controllers, to at least have Unity™ with what the games.

It's not a VR gaming headset. It's an AR headset where you can play flat screen games on a floating virtual screen if you want to.

Last edited:
It's not a VR gaming headset. It's an AR headset where you can play flat screen games on a floating virtual screen if you want to.

Games are the only thing that's not in VR.

I suspect it's so they can have hundreds of games ready at launch because they are only just now sending out the developer kits. Devs need to make their games to support zero controllers and that sounds painful enough as it is.

Raonak

Banned

Sounds like this thing has all of the negatives of VR, with none of the positives.

But it's good to know it's not meant to be a gaming device.
Like who uses phones and computers to game anyway?

The funny thing is no actual VR controllers mean that most of the best VR games aren't even gonna be compatible on this thing.

Can you imagine playing RE Village with pinch gestures
On the key note, a guy was playing NBA 2K23 with a game pad. It could be compatible with 3rd parties VR controllers.

Last edited:

Sakura

The funny thing is no actual VR controllers mean that most of the best VR games aren't even gonna be compatible on this thing.

Can you imagine playing RE Village with pinch gestures
Would it even be able to run RE Village at the resolution and framerate required for VR? Depends on what M2 chip it is using specifically I guess.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Games are the only thing that's not in VR.

I suspect it's so they can have hundreds of games ready at launch because they are only just now sending out the developer kits. Devs need to make their games to support zero controllers and that sounds painful enough as it is.

It will never become a mainstream gaming headset without controllers. Hand/finger tracking, even when done well (it already works pretty good on Quest, although I'm sure Apple's implementation will be even better), simply sucks for most types of games. Having zero physical feedback in your hands, and nothing to hold onto, feels awful. It's not more immersive to pretend you're holding a gun than actually holding one (well, a controller), but less.

On the key note, a guy was playing NBA 2K23 with a game pad. It could be compatible with 3rd parties VR controllers.
it could be and should be, but much like Meta and Sony not really cooperating at anything Apple will also try to build their walls as high as possible ignoring that you should have a nice garden first to make that work.
If there were signed plans already they would have announced it and stopped such speculations from the start. Painting it as the best thing ever, also addressing obvious interests of "real" gamers as a potential target group too.

at best i'd expect a virtual cinema display mode for Macs and maybe even PCs.

Last edited:

GHG

And people dared to call psvr2 games shovelware....
100 games of hands waiving will redefine the meaning of shovelware.

It's even worse than that. Most of the games will require some sort of standard controller.

It's a bunch of non-vr games that you just get to play on a virtual screen. Terrible implementation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Allowing regular Bluetooth controllers to work for flat screen games is quite different from supporting VR controllers with all the tracking stuff those are doing. Quest 2 controllers only work when being tracked by a Quest 2, for example, are Apple gonna emulate that with their headset? Very doubtful. Quest Pro/3 controllers track themselves, but obviously the headset still plays a big part in making that work. I just don't see these controllers "just working" with this headset. And I don't think Meta would be interested in helping out, they want you to buy their headsets instead.

xrnzaaas

I get that it's not strictly a gaming device, but I still don't see how anyone would be interested at this price point except for the biggest Apple fanboys with equally big wallets.

Unity may have gotten a stock bump but it's on the way out anyway, too many studios are switching to UE-based games.

Can you name some Unity VR games with shadows? Every time I see the Unity logo I think here we go, no shadows and I’ve not be wrong yet,
Go download unity right now, add a plane a cube and a directional light source to the scene, you’ll have your shadows. When it comes to a final game product it’s up to the devs to decide how to utilize the tools. The default lighting solution has some limitations, but shadows are by no means impossible.

Top Bottom