• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BoA believes Apple will sell 1.5m Vision Pros year one even at $3499. Expects it to sell game console volume levels.

NickFire

I want to scoff at the prediction because it sounds a little overly optimistic. But its Apple, and they have such a loyal fanbase that I can't dismiss it.

Hands on reviews so far sound incredible, I'm just waiting to see if they can find an elegant solution for using productivity software with hand gestures (mainly some type of effective virtual keyboard). If they can, I may choose one of these over a new Macbook Pro next year.

Shh

Hands on reviews so far sound incredible, I'm just waiting to see if they can find an elegant solution for using productivity software with hand gestures (mainly some type of effective virtual keyboard). If they can, I may choose one of these over a new Macbook Pro next year.
Marques Brownlee made it sound pretty cool. It's still not something I'd ever own, but it sounds like Apple has done some things with this headset that nobody has even come close to achieving. The biggest downsides he said are that that it's quite heavy and the battery life is horrible.

Last edited:

Rivet

Marques Brownlee made it sound pretty cool. It's still not something I'd ever own, but it sounds like Apple has done some things with this headset that nobody has even come close to achieving. The biggest downsides he said are that that it's quite heavy and the battery life is horrible.

Well, at a $3500 price point, everybody can achieve great things. The problem is selling that to consumers.

I will be more optimistic the day they manage to get close to the traditional glasses form factor. Clearly we're not there yet.

Nobody wants to wear those headsets / ski googles every day for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Shh

Well, at a $3500 price point, everybody can achieve great things. The problem is selling that to consumers.
And the billions of dollars in expendable R&D that Apple has.

I will be more optimistic the day they manage to get close to the traditional glasses form factor. Clearly we're not there yet.
That would be cool.

Nobody wants to wear those headsets / ski googles every day for long periods of time.
None of these can be worn for very long without fatigue anyway. But these Apple goggles are supposed to be heavier than anything else on the market.

daffyduck

it's a gimmick and fad that wont go anywhere...
season 13 GIF

Buggy Loop

Let's not forget the bar for AR has been *a lot* lower to date than anything else. I mean people were willing to put up with Hololens...

Black and white pass through is already dead for AR.

Headset was made for 100% gaming VR. Stretching it beyond that idea would just leave a bad aftertaste for users

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm curious why people want this to fail so bad? The tech is incredible and Apple is relentless in clearing difficult hurdles like privacy and politicians looking to preemptively ban technology like they did with Google Glass.

Because they are haters.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Black and white pass through is already dead for AR.
Of course - as is having a 15 degree FOV - things evolve.
Although I'm about... 85% sure one could run a simple recoloring NN on a B&W feed if we really wanted cheap AR in color. But as I said - the bar of expectations is really low, especially around actual content (or lack of thereof).

Anyway my main point wasn't about repurposing existing devices. Just that the ARMAC proves that hardware is ultimately one and the same - while early on there were some cost reasons to separate the two, most of the narratives to date treating AR and VR as distinct/different has been marketing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One (or two) word though, Smart watches. Dismissed in the exact same way until Apple made them popular.

Smart watches were already popular before Apple jumped in. Apple just made them cool and acceptable to the masses. Same thing happened with the iPod.

Last edited:

Nydius

Reprising my comment from the official announce topic, this situation is eerily reminiscent of the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser pricing announcement. When people scoffed at the price tag, they were told things like "If you think it's too much, it's not for you" and "The Star Wars fanbase and Disney Adult group is large enough that it will always be booked and profitable!" People who got to attend before it was open to the general public sang its praises to the heavens as being a wonderful experience worth the money.

We see how that ultimately turned out.

Everyone is assuming this is going to sell like crazy because of Apple's fanbase but, like Disney Adults, even Apple's fanbase has limits. $3500 for a mixed AR/VR headset is going to test that fanbase's loyalty. It's one thing to drop nearly four grand on a top end Mac Studio -- it's another thing entirely to ask that kind of cash for an unproven concept.

Last edited:
After the stat drop thread today I am retracting my statement to avoid having to eat crow later. Please accept my apologies BoA, I'm still not going to bank with you though. I'll take home one of your brochures in the lobby as a good gesture however, and will even wait 10 minutes before putting it in the recycle bin. Might even read some words.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

You can't be serious about this right?

It has lowest R&D among its main competitors like Amazon and Microsoft
7% compared to 12% of sells. Their spending for asset development through mergers and acquisition is also like drop in a bucket 7-8 billion in last 7-8 years, Microsoft bought Bethesda for that change. Just checked google spends whopping 20% which earlier used to be even higher.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

One good thing though is this should elevate VR even further. Every bit of exposure helps and Apple is a huge player in whatever market they're in.

Also I have zero doubt about it's quality because that's what they do but $3500 worth doubt it.

Rival

Gold Member
So almost $3800 with sales tax. I want one but to be honest I could get more pleasure out of a Real Doll.

Top Bottom