• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

Eiknarf

The earbuds (Pulse Explore) look so cool in design that I almost bought em. But me and earbuds don’t gel well because they always fall out of my ears and even if they don’t, sometimes the placement or suction is great and sometimes it’s not. Sometimes I get that full sound, other times I don’t…etc

But with headphones, I feel right. I just don’t know what “planar speakers” means

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
So, is there game/chat mix with these? I really miss when I was able to control the volume on both. As far as i know, the new Astro A50x is the only one that has it, but at their price point - it's a pass for me. Unless, the sound is just stellar on them.

Is this one better than Pulse Elite ? Can the ugly mic be removed ?
Yes the mic is removable it also has a built-in mic although not as effective and I don't think the Pulse Elites come with 90mm drivers like the Maxwells so I doubt they'll have the same sound profile but I'm sure they'll still sound good. The Maxwell's are incredible I've owned a ton of headphones and nothing else can compare.

Rambone

Is this one better than Pulse Elite ? Can the ugly mic be removed ?
The mic is removable on the Maxwell and has a mic built into the headphone itself. The built in sounds serviceable but the removable mic does sound much better. I have not had my hands on the pulse elite yet to comment on whether gaming performance is better compared to the Maxwell but I'm going to go on a hunch that Maxwell owners have nothing to worry about or any need to snag a Elite.

Imtjnotu

I really doubt that but we'll find out soon enough. The Maxwells are constantly backordered and sound fantastic.
Ya but sony bought them in August officially then I a few months later we have planar headphones?

Sounds like sony was working with them before hand to make this real

Rambone

The earbuds (Pulse Explore) look so cool in design that I almost bought em. But me and earbuds don’t gel well because they always fall out of my ears and even if they don’t, sometimes the placement or suction is great and sometimes it’s not. Sometimes I get that full sound, other times I don’t…etc

But with headphones, I feel right. I just don’t know what “planar speakers” means
I often swap out the stock tips on in ear monitors for better tips but it's paramount that you get a good fitment and seal to get 'full' sound. There are other characteristics of tips that are of secondary importance.

More than likely you are familiar with dynamic drivers. "Planar speakers" refers to the planar driver. Here is a link to give you a crash course on some differences https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articl...e-between-dynamic-and-planar-magnetic-drivers.

Del_X

Ya but sony bought them in August officially then I a few months later we have planar headphones?

Sounds like sony was working with them before hand to make this real

If you’re into headphones there is a WIDE range in quality for planar magnetic headphones even in the same brand - I daily drive a set of HE-1000se and they’re very different from the other ones I own. I do think it’ll be close-ish, though.

S0ULZB0URNE

QFjnjay.jpg

With Wicked Cushions Camo Cooling Gel Cushions and strap.

GymWolf

I have them in preorder since black friday, there was a good 30 euros discount and my current sony headset is breaking into pieces.

Hopefully the build quality is not trash like most sony headsets, i mostly buy them because they are super plug and play on pc, just connect the dongle and it work without setting shit on windows.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I'm a little confused with the connectivity of these. Could I have these bluetoothed to my Yamaha AVR and at the same time wirelessly to PS5? If so will the dongle be needed for the PS5 and can you switch between the two on the fly?

S0ULZB0URNE

I have this headset and its heavy as fuck makes it feel like you have 3kg weights on your head and the soundstage is very poor (compared to other similar headphones) also there is no BT at the same time as normal connection.
I use BT and the dongle all the time.
My phone is connected to the BT and either my PC or my PS5 is connected to the dongle.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Enough with fucking audeze maxwells. They are 2x the price lol of course they are amazing. it is well known.
Elites have link dongle and perfect ps5 integration unlike 3rd party headsets. This is not Bluetooth to ps5.

Last edited:

Digfox

Apologies, slightly off topic, but I also recently took delivery of the some Wicked Cushion pads for the PC38X and Epos H6pro headsets (there was a discount for buying two pairs together). They are probably some of the most comfortable earpads I've ever worn. The cooling gel effect works very well when you first put them on. That said they do unfortunately weaken the tuning/sound profile on both which is a massive shame. Although that comfort is something else. I've decided against buying for 560s & TYGRs as I love the sound of those stock.

Eiknarf

Enough with fucking audeze maxwells. They are 2x the price lol of course they are amazing. it is well known.
Elites have link dongle and perfect ps5 integration unlike 3rd party headsets. This is not Bluetooth to ps5.
But these upcoming PULSE ELITE's are Audeze.

Audeze is a PlayStation Company.

See for yourself:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But these upcoming PULSE ELITE's are Audeze.

Audeze is a PlayStation Company.

See for yourself:

I know. And elites are planar too.
But I dubt it's fully audeze product unless they started development on them way long before buyout.
Anyway - that's a good reason to be excited!!!
These will be my first planars as planars were always either too heavy, expensive and not wireless (unless recently)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
These headphones do not use Bluetooth audio codecs. The headphone jack on the DualSense also does not use Bluetooth audio.

Pretty sure the latter is not true? I mean, the jack itself is not Bluetooth, obviously, but the audio does get from the console to the controller using Bluetooth.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wait... was the release pushed to april?!
Some stores in poland say april 2nd.
I ordered in december for release next week.

It's generally really fkn annoying that we even have to wait and preorder for headphones

Pretty sure the latter is not true? I mean, the jack itself is not Bluetooth, obviously, but the audio does get from the console to the controller using Bluetooth.
It uses Bluetooth for wireless, but not a Bluetooth audio protocol, which is where latency and audio quality suffer. It uses a proprietary codec, which does not have any lower quality than having the controller connected via USB while using a wired headset connected to the controller.

Phase

I can't stand wireless headsets. I've had Sennheiser HD600's for years and they're the best headphones I've had. Comfortable, open-back, crisp highs and great soundstage. Love them for gaming. You can hear every detail in games like Tarkov. Only thing is I needed to buy a separate mic but I would've done that anyway for quality sound.

S0ULZB0URNE

I hear you but not only are the Maxwell’s not 3rd party but they have perfect integration with PS5 as well.
Like the the other in-house PS5 options they have a game chat/game volume wheel.
Also auto switching to game audio when turned off.
This also has a dongle and Bluetooth is optional.

Anyway reviews on the budget version PE's are coming tomorrow.

FrankWza

I hear you but not only are the Maxwell’s not 3rd party but they have perfect integration with PS5 as well.
Like the the other in-house PS5 options they have a game chat/game volume wheel.
Also auto switching to game audio when turned off.
This also has a dongle and Bluetooth is optional.

Anyway reviews on the budget version PE's are coming tomorrow.
Maxwell’s are definitely a big step up, but Elites have qol features like the AI mic and and charging dock/headphone stand and same simultaneous audio the Explore have. Unless Sony/Audeze made a disaster of a mistake in design or materials, they are going to be tough to beat for the price.

S0ULZB0URNE

Maxwell’s are definitely a big step up, but Elites have qol features like the AI mic and and charging dock/headphone stand and same simultaneous audio the Explore have. Unless Sony/Audeze made a disaster of a mistake in design or materials, they are going to be tough to beat for the price.
AI mic is also with the Maxwell.
Also am concerned about the earcups of the Pulse Elites as if they can't be replaced like the cheap Pulse one couldn't.

I can't stand wireless headsets. I've had Sennheiser HD600's for years and they're the best headphones I've had. Comfortable, open-back, crisp highs and great soundstage. Love them for gaming. You can hear every detail in games like Tarkov. Only thing is I needed to buy a separate mic but I would've done that anyway for quality sound.
I also use wired Sennheisers. I can’t believe you use open back, though! I have Sennheiser HDsomething open back for music and they are mind blowing. I use closed for gaming as the open back lets every little external sound through. You must have a very quiet room.

I remember one time I was using the open backs for a game, I kept looking around (in game) to see where the rain was falling. Turns out, it was just the rain (light sprinkling) in real life and I could hear it perfectly clearly despite the headphones.

Phase

I also use wired Sennheisers. I can’t believe you use open back, though! I have Sennheiser HDsomething open back for music and they are mind blowing. I use closed for gaming as the open back lets every little external sound through. You must have a very quiet room.

I remember one time I was using the open backs for a game, I kept looking around (in game) to see where the rain was falling. Turns out, it was just the rain (light sprinkling) in real life and I could hear it perfectly clearly despite the headphones.
Yes my room is very quiet, and I like to be able to hear the family if I need to. I've never had real quality closed headphones but I'm sure they'd be great as well.

TrebleShot

Key Points so far:

- Link connection is truly lossless, same quality as wired connection.
- AI sound filtering on the mic is unbelievable, demonstrates it with a hand hoover, which is completely eliminated.
- Much more comfortable than the original headset, has good swivelling cups.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Key Points so far:

- AI sound filtering on the mic is unbelievable, demonstrates it with a hand hoover, which is completely eliminated.

How does it compare to Maxwell ?

TrebleShot

How does it compare to Maxwell ?
Not as bassy as the Maxwell, half as heavy.
Much better audio fidelity due to link connection.
Imaging and detail is absolutely exceptional, better than the Maxwell.
"Shocking" level of detail.
Amazing soundstage.

Eiknarf

Key Points so far:

Pre-ordering

DaGwaphics

I will probably end up upgrading my PS4 to a PS5 now. How is the clamping pressure on these, the Xbox ones are so tight that they aren't comfortable after an hour or so.

Top Bottom