• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Exclusive Final Fantasy is a Soul-like by Square Enix and Koei Tecmo

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

Azurro

Banned
Seriously...? 🤷‍♀️

Have you fellows not played 3D NG or Vagrant Story?

Those are the games we need, and deserves for next gen.

You are having troubles with the technique. Use your imagination and in your minds eye see that ugly, disgusting blue colored strip fade away.

Yes, it's going away, it can no longer hurt you, your astroturfing cheque from your employment at the Xbox division is safe.

Now, relax, breathe deeply and imagine the blue turning to green and feel that absolute internal joy at the face of Aaron Greenberg and Phil Spencer smiling at you from the green heavens above.

Now, grin as all is right with the world and there are no more ugly blue labels. All PS consoles have turned to Xboxes, all your life's effort is worth it now.

Ok, better? ;)

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I would even settle for a Warriors/Heroes game. Dragon Quest Heroes was awesome.

I'm not a big fan of Nioh but hopefully if this is true they will fix some of Nioh's shortcomings.

Last edited:

Lethal01

This sounda like a fun idea - i wonder what ”final fantasy” means though

imagine ff10 or ff13 mixed with souls lol

hope it is more ff9 or ff6 even

Please no, a Cyberpunk/scifi fantasy setting would be perfect for making this game stand out as a souls-like. We don't need another, grounded, grim medieval, souls game.

Thankfully it's a dissidial game, So if we aren't going to both FF7's Midgar, FF13 Cocoon as well as ivalice and the like then that's a huge missed opurtunity

Last edited:

Renozokii

Mmmh... no, i don't think so.

I can't see this as a "Withouh Sony this game would not exist" situation.

I see more of a FF7R case, where a big publisher is paying to prevent the game from being published on other consoles.

No "win win" at all.
Yea clip all context out and you have a point sure. I’m saying between Sony acquiring them or the current situation where they are doing funding from the start such as with nioh, or Returnal this is a better situation. Or do you housemarque would be better off partnering within activision or ea?

Regardless we saw how Meir replicant sold on Xbox in the eu compared to the PlayStation and we see the Xbox’s continued utter irrelevance in Japan. The ff and nioh deals are literal free money for the publishers. Save the cost of an Xbox port that at best may do ok and get money from Sony to be exclusive to where most sales come from anyway.

Renozokii

This is Koei Tecmo making a game for Square, so it's third party all the way. Plus Koei Tecmo makes first party games for Nintendo so it's not like they have gone Sony only.
Well he also had housemaque in the comment so mine was a more general response. A that’s 3 team ninja games now in a row and with this rumored game 3 final fantasy games in a row that are all PlayStation only(and pc before some mouth breather says “acktually”). So with regards to that I think it’s square realizing Sony money and “friendship” are worth more than Xbox ports. Of course they are going to put games on Nintendo though, that thing is fucking killing it in Japan right now.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Would prefer a souls-like Drakengard instead.

If it must be FF they should really just make a Musou game.

Last edited:

Sygma

Right on! Surely no one will want to play the first Final Fantasy game with a truly challenging and engaging combat system. 😂

There's nothing challenging about Souls like games, they're all glorified patterns recognition tests which you can cheese by being overleveled. People sure do love them for some unknown reason tho

FrankWza

There's nothing challenging about Souls like games, they're all glorified patterns recognition tests which you can cheese by being overleveled. People sure do love them for some unknown reason tho
This describes most games. But when you remove level progression and patterns like Returnal you have an ocean of tears complaining about saves and respecting players time. Plus a lot of souls enemies and boss battles are tough no matter how leveled you are. Same for Nioh

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don't give two shits about Final Fantasy in general but a FF souls type game from Team Ninja???? If it's similar to Nioh, im definitely interested.

From Software (creators), Team Ninja (Nioh), Deck13(The Surge and LoF) and Cold Symmetry (Mortal Shell).

4 studios... Everyone... Yeah right...

Wishing Nathan Fillion GIF
Gunfire Games with Remenants and Darksiders 3, every fucking indie metroidvania since 2014, Hollow Knight, Death's Gambit and Salt and Sanctuary for example.

On topic.
X for doubt.Jpeg

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The Big Brain Idea would have been to call it "Final Fantasy Fortress" to help confuse everyone in the process.

Aion002

Ever heard of the idiom "too much of good thing"?
Remnant is good, but only have some things from Souls.

Nioh is amazing, but is more because of the combat and customization than the souls things.

Anyway, every other "Souls-like" games that I played weren't even close of the quality that From Software brought with Souls, Sekiro and BB.

So yeah...

Paramount Network Want GIF by Yellowstone

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Every Souls imitator has been trash with zero exceptions.
FromSoftware seems to be the only one who can make them.
Someone's gotta be first though, right?

Amiga

:messenger_smiling_hearts: actually dreamed this would happen, but never expected this to ever be. the best FF studio team ups gave us Chrono Trigger and FF Tactics. this could be a new classic.

NiOh is not Souls. NiOh has elements that fit right in with FF. it should bring back gameplay depth that was missing since FF9. armor, class, leveling up and searching dungeons for secrets should matter again. and spirits fit well as summons.

skit_data

I wonder what this ”Navtra” means? Is the user a credible leaker?

I’m thinking it might not be the difficulty and combat that is Souls-like. Maybe some assymetrical multiplayer? Mysterious, vague indirect story telling? There are a lot of things that could be considered staples of the genre that are less explicit

Furball

I wonder what this ”Navtra” means? Is the user a credible leaker?

I’m thinking it might not be the difficulty and combat that is Souls-like. Maybe some assymetrical multiplayer? Mysterious, vague indirect story telling? There are a lot of things that could be considered staples of the genre that are less explicit

"Navtra" seem like a credible leaker in Era .

Moreover, Vagrant Story is also an example of soul like game so yeah "Soul inspire" game pretty vague here

GymWolf

Well at least this is one is completely action and not some trash hybrid like their last games.

Last edited:

yazenov

I see the folks who don't own a Playstation are working overtime to dismiss and downplay the game, even before it's announced. You guys clearly care enough to post here.

- later after they watch the trailers, the port begging will begin.

- After all hope is lost due to exclusivity, hate on the game .

Its like clockwork.

tony19957

Neo Member
So not exactly a souls like, but made along with Koei Tecmo? So a Musou game?
Just a reminder that it was leaked by the infamous CLOAT long ago

magnumpy

Coming from French leaker SoulsHunt, here is a quick translation:

Called Final Fantasy Origins
Exclusively on PS5
Developed by Team Ninja
It's a Soul-like
Most likely announced at e3
A lot of people know his existence (insiders)
A demo is coming this Summer if everything goes as planned

congratulations Sony you've won next generation D:

Sygma

This describes most games. But when you remove level progression and patterns like Returnal you have an ocean of tears complaining about saves and respecting players time. Plus a lot of souls enemies and boss battles are tough no matter how leveled you are. Same for Nioh

I can count on one hand the bosses which actually gave me trouble in both bloodborne and sekiro combined. Both were incredibly overrated albeit good games. To be perfectly frank I don't think a SINGLE from soft game managed to reach Ninja Gaiden Black's level of goodness and I don't see it ever happening anytime soon. That's just my view on it, not a fact, I'm happy and grateful that Dark Souls and whatnot put hardcore games back in the spotlight but yeah, they're not exactly hard

Also, no. If you're way overlevelled in Souls / BB you will utterly destroy bosses

Last edited:
Top Bottom