• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Mortem: Vagrant Story

Pachael

Red Scarlet said:
With all those "individual game defense force" avs, I thought it would be funny to have an offense force one and someone made it. Anyway, I'll let y'all enjoy your thread now.

Teknopathic's got a Jet Grind Radio Attack Force avatar ;p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
i have a save file with the best weapon in the game. god knows how long it took me to create that thing.us

Scenester

I played the hell out of this when it came out, got all the items secret dungeon etc. Totally bitchin game. One of the best soundtracks ever also. Ive been thinking about tracking down a copy and replaying it.

A note on the OP though, its says unreleased in Europe and Australia, yet a PAL version does exist...

PolyGone

Banned
Error said:
i have a save file with the best weapon in the game. god knows how long it took me to create that thing.us

I have a save with ultimate damascus weapons of every category

I don't know how long it took me to forge them all (ie trips to the Iron Maiden to collect holy wins) and level up all their stats because the in-game clock stops at 100 hours.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wow I did not know all that stuff about the religions in Ivalice games.... very interesting. Aside from FF Tactics it was very subtle stuff.

firex

XHitoshuraX said:
Be prepared, the localization in P1 is painful >.<
yeah, I know it's bad (like nearly every ps1 localization) but I got near the end in it before, then quit for some reason and never finished the game.

Thank you all for your compliments!

I do these for the sake of discussion, for the sake of remembering the games that crafted our experiences as gamers...

If I can get just one person to say "Hmm, I've never heard of that, it looks really interesting." Then my job is complete.

Big-E

Well done XHitoshuraX, well done indeed. After reading your great post I think I am going to have to go back and replay this bad boy.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Amir0x said:
*covers eyes*

My God this game needs a graphical remake.
Vagrant Story is the best looking game of all time. I don't even like RPGs.

(P.S. I may be an art whore.)

Pimpwerx

Sexcellent thread. My favorite rpg ever. Hand down. This game may not have aged well in the visuals (although it's still one of the prettiest PS1 games), the gameplay mechanics are still better than anything else I've played. I'd love this game to hell and back. Screw FF7 Remake. Vagrant Story has ten times more potential. PEACE.

neonglow

Can someone explain the ending of the game to me?

All I remember is Ashley turning into some woman that appeared earlier in the game.

Dascu

neonglow said:
Can someone explain the ending of the game to me?

All I remember is Ashley turning into some woman that appeared earlier in the game.

Ashley got the power of the Dark and simply shape-shifted into Merlose while being in the town, so the guards wouldn't bother him. He then wandered off with his new powers, and so began the story of the Vagrant.

May16

U K Narayan said:
This is the single greatest thread in the history of Gaming Age, and NeoGAF.
Just like how its subject is the single brownest piece of visual art in the history of eyesight.

I hate to impose, but is this one of those impossible-to-find titles now? Like, the type of thing one only finds for exorbitant amount of money on Ebay?

Demigod Mac

Question for the Ivalice scholars.

Where does Vagrant Story fit into the world on the timeline? How many years before/after FFT and FFXII?

In VS they speak of magic and monsters as if they were mythical, but come about in Leá Monde naturally, so it's supposed to be "unusual" to encounter them. Yet magic is very common in the other games. The official strategy guide even classifies the Crimson Blades as "Christian extremists" (wrong?)

Dascu

Demigod Mac said:

Where does Vagrant Story fit into the world on the timeline? How many years before/after FFT and FFXII?

In VS they speak of magic and monsters as if they were mythical, but come about in Leá Monde naturally, so it's supposed to be "unusual" to encounter them. Yet magic is very common in the other games. The official strategy guide even classifies the Crimson Blades as "Christian extremists" (wrong?)

Hmm, I'm not sure how it all works together myself, but the GameTrailers Final Fantasy retrospective had an episode where they discuss the Ivalice games and Vagrant Story. They talk about timeline order and such there. I think they said Vagrant Story happens around the same time as FFT, but in a different continent, obviously (Valendia).

Demigod Mac said:

The timeline of Ivalice as presented in the games was left quite vague, and formerly other official sources had said little on the matter. A few venerable sources have made their own conclusion on the timeline of Ivalice. The official timeline, however, was eventually given in the Final Fantasy XII Ultimania Omega, and placed the events of Final Fantasy XII before those of Final Fantasy Tactics.

There is no direct mention of Ivalice in Vagrant Story. However, several references are made; the Kingdom of Valendia, the setting for Vagrant Story, shares its name with a continent of Ivalice appearing in Final Fantasy XII. The Kiltia religion, featured in Final Fantasy XII, was the religion of the ghost town Leá Monde, in which the story takes place. Additionally, a quotation from Alazlam J. Durai, a famous historian of Ivalice who lived 400 years after the Lion War (and narrator of the Zodiac Brave Story told in Final Fantasy Tactics), is used at the beginning of the game, and the descriptions of several items make direct reference to the same story. This would seem to place Vagrant Story latest in the timeline, given its direct references to the events of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Some confusion still persists, particularly due to the facts surrounding Saint Ajora, who was executed 1200 years prior to the events of Final Fantasy Tactics, yet in the Clan Primer of Final Fantasy XII is said to have separated from the Light of Kiltia religion shortly after its foundation, already two thousand years old.[20] While no gender is specified in the North American release of Final Fantasy XII, in both the Japanese Clan Primer and the Ultimania timeline, Ajora is referred to as &#32854;&#22899;&#12450;&#12472;&#12519;&#12521;, Holy Woman Ajora, while Ajora of Final Fantasy Tactics is male.

The appearance of some special characters in Final Fantasy Tactics may have further added to the confusion of the era the game takes place in. However, these characters were added into the game to give a sense of surprise and enjoyment to the player but so as to not disturb other future or past events in the history of Ivalice. Cloud Strife, Balthier, and Luso make cameo appearances that have a small or otherwise insignificant impact in Final Fantasy Tactics, and these characters originate from, respectively, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. They either have originated from the past or the future of Ivalice's history, depending on the select character.

Hope that helps!

May16 said:
Just like how its subject is the single brownest piece of visual art in the history of eyesight.
angry-smiley-055.gif

Vagrant Story was a great game that I got around to trying too late in the PS2's life cycle. I wish I had picked it up during the PS1 era. Now it's just another great title that I missed out on. If SquareEnix ever make a sequel or anything similar, that's just as good by todays standards, I'll make up for that and buy it day one.

I wish the post mordem had a "what went right, and what went wrong" section.

Dark Octave said:
Vagrant Story was a great game that I got around to trying too late in the PS2's life cycle. I wish I had picked it up during the PS1 era. Now it's just another great title that I missed out on. If SquareEnix ever make a sequel or anything similar, that's just as good by todays standards, I'll make up for that and buy it day one.

The post mordem didn't have a "what went right, and what went wrong" did it?

There's always one lol

The "what went right and wrong" is essentially the thread itself. A post mortem is by definition an analysis after the fact, not just specifically a Good/Bad discussion. I tinker with the idea of putting a proper one in the OP itself but for now its just fine...If more people would like one, specifically done by me, I would have no problem with that :D

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
Thank you all for your compliments!

I do these for the sake of discussion, for the sake of remembering the games that crafted our experiences as gamers...

If I can get just one person to say "Hmm, I've never heard of that, it looks really interesting." Then my job is complete.

What a thread man, Vagrant Story has always been in my top THREE games of all time after beating it in Square's best year - 2000! Ill never forget the game - the amazing battle system, the story, the music (one of the best OSTs i have ever heard - made Sakimoto my favorite), amazing art, amazing cutscenes...amazing everything. One of the only RPGs i played through more than once and gladly so. This SO deserved a 40/40 from Famitsu.

Btw, anyone can give me a few details about the ending as to what happened exactly? Its been a few years and I dont recall exactly what happened. Much thanks! And thanks for making this thread Hito! If theres one Post Mortem thread I had the chance to do - it would have DEFINITELY been this.

Lain

Amir0x said:
*covers eyes*

My God this game needs a graphical remake.

Also a sequel

Uh? Game still looks great considering it's a PS1 game. Actually, it's one of the few 3D games from that time that doesn't burn your eyes when you replay it.
And it's still awesome to play.

Also, Best game ever.
Oh, how much I'd love to have a sequel... That ending has left me wanting it and wanting more of that story.

Teddman

Half of Vagrant Story's scenarios got cut because of the ambitious graphical & gameplay style of the game, it took so long to code that it wasn't going to make release in time... I believe Matsuno said in an interview that the final version was just a fraction of what he intended. You can see evidence of this in underdeveloped characters like Tiger and Neesa, who seem like they are supposed to have a much bigger role in the story.

It would be awesome to have a "Director's Cut" version of this game, but that's extremely unlikely. Still a classic in the form it was released...

Teddman said:
Half of Vagrant Story's scenarios got cut because of the ambitious graphical & gameplay style of the game, it took so long to code that it wasn't going to make release in time... I believe Matsuno said in an interview that the final version was just a fraction of what he intended. You can see evidence of this in underdeveloped characters like Tiger and Neesa, who seem like they are supposed to have a much bigger role in the story.

It would be awesome to have a "Director's Cut" version of this game, but that's extremely unlikely. Still a classic in the form it was released...

Thats right, I did forget to mention that. I can only barely begin to imagine the true vision he had in his head...

Pimpwerx

Teddman said:

Whoa! I know I always go on about the fact that the story of the Vagrant was just starting, but I had no idea the project was so ambitious. I can't imagine what we would have gotten if he met his goals. The game is amazing as is. PEACE.

plake

Thanks for this thread - highly appreciated!
Just when I started re-playing Vagrant Story and got my pawns on FF Tactics: War of the Lion. Excellent timing. :)

Rolf NB

It's actually a shitty· game wrapped in amazing story-telling. It is completely bewildering how "great game" can so easily be attached to this steaming pot of stupid combat, unusably arcane crafting bullshit and awful area designs, just because it tells a nice story. Cut-scene age.

Fady K

bcn-ron said:
It's actually a shitty· game wrapped in amazing story-telling. It is completely bewildering how "great game" can so easily be attached to this steaming pot of stupid combat, unusably arcane crafting bullshit and awful area designs, just because it tells a nice story. Cut-scene age.

uh....

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Oh good, you quoted him. I was hoping this thread would get derailed.

ps: Vagrant Story is a great game, and people who think the weapon crafting is a necessary component aren't playing it right.

Rolf NB

dog$ said:
Oh good, you quoted him. I was hoping this thread would get derailed.

ps: Vagrant Story is a great game, and people who think the weapon crafting is a necessary component aren't playing it right.
People who tell oher people that they aren't playing the game right are making excuses for messy design. And do try killing the stone golem without visiting the workshop, genius.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
If you're too stupid to use a screwdriver, it's not the screwdriver's fault.

And if the stone golem you speak of is within the normal course of the game, I have.

I keep finding VS heartbreakingly difficult to play, but am glad that it found a market in the dedicated minority posting here.

None of my weapons do any damage to anything. Some of them start out ok, but get weaker and weaker. I have no idea what types of animal all the different baddies are. I wish I could CRUSH them! ... but even little ones scoff at my attentions.

I do know what it's about. The weapons are like plasticine. In the course of the game I have mashed them into muddy brown nothingnesses, instead of cultivating the brilliant bold colours the game is in essence in invitation to foster.

It just was not meant for me. Such a beautiful shame ... :/

No other game has created such an atmosphere and style; I'm playing through it a second time to try to actually beat it (the first time I stalled when all my weapons were down to crap attack).

With the FFT rehaul on the PSP, I'd definitely like to see this get the same treatment (oh HAY and Basch time travels y/n? maybe not so much).

While no gender is specified in the North American release of Final Fantasy XII, in both the Japanese Clan Primer and the Ultimania timeline, Ajora is referred to as &#32854;&#22899;&#12450;&#12472;&#12519;&#12521;, Holy Woman Ajora, while Ajora of Final Fantasy Tactics is male.

Is this the PS1 English translation of Ajora? Because that's so suspect, I'd probably just go along with the Clan Primer and Ultimania.

bcn-ron said:

Interesting.

modkennylaine said:
Is this the PS1 English translation of Ajora? Because that's so suspect, I'd probably just go along with the Clan Primer and Ultimania.

Yes actually, that is the direct translation, personally I go with the Clan Primer though.

The game is absolutely GLORIOUS on the PSP but I'm not a fan of homebrewing, so take that as you will. This game is definitely not for everyone as most see the majority of the gameplay choices maddening.

I added the bit that Teddman provided as well as some more information on what was cut from the "Original Vision" A big thanks to him!

Also, because people seemed interested, I added a "Mythology and Timeline" section so please check them out!

Top Bottom