• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vagrant Story |OT| Finest game in all of Valendia

Log4Girlz

Sigh. I only played a few hours of this game as a rental long ago. But still, I saw the amazing quality of it. The memory card I had wiped all my data :(

Feeling a bit stuck at the moment.
The biggest problem I have with this game involves the drop-rates. I've been clobbering knights and lizardmen for over an hour and I don't have any useful weapons to show for it.

I just wanna upgrade my axe, get a nice one-handed blunt weapon, and something I can also one-hand pierce stuff with.

Bought this at launch, was too young to get very far, ended up trading it into Cash Converters with the majority of my PSOne games when I was a stupid teenager for like $6 :(

DD to the rescue!

Dascu

One of my favourite games of all time. I'd re-buy it if I had a PS3, but I don't. Godspeed, brave warriors. Enjoy the game and relish the experience.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Sweet! I'll get this for a couple of summer vacation days well spent. Finished the game when it came out for the PSOne, so proud ;_;. Didn't understand everything untill late in the game, lots of 30 min/60 min. boss battles before stuff dawned upon me. I'm gonna replay it mostly to experience the story once more and build really cool weapons this time.

Lyonaz

Yes, I've finally turned my PSP in a portable Matsuno game archive!

I have Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story on it now. Hell I could still put in my FFT:WotL umd just to make it complete.

lljride

Second week in a row that I've bought a game on PSN already on my shelf.

I never got far in VS the few times I've tried to play it (like everyone else that quit early, the battle/weapon system made no sense to me). I will get through it eventually though, that guide on the first page should help a ton.

Phatcorns

mudkyp said:
I'm honestly shocked by how good this game looks after all this time. Such great art direction. My Square nostalgia is at it's peak between this and Xenogears. I want old Square back :(

I think it's hilarious that people are saying this. You know the last time I heard someone say they wanted the old Square back? When the Playstation came out.

I suppose you could be talking about the snes era Square too, but times they be a changin my friend, can't get away from change.

Phatcorns said:
I think it's hilarious that people are saying this. You know the last time I heard someone say they wanted the old Square back? When the Playstation came out.

I suppose you could be talking about the snes era Square too, but times they be a changin my friend, can't get away from change.

Tho you have a point, it would be pretty hard to deny that Square's PSX output is significantly better than their recent output.

theDeeDubs

Only Matsuno could make a guy named Sydney such a badass. So glad to see people get a chance to play my favorite game of all time. VS,unlike many classics, holds up so well over time.

PuppetMaster said:
Bought! So awesome this game is only 97MB too!

The last PS1 game I bought was like 1.8GB.
The PS1 game is on one CD, so it was most definitely nowhere near 1.8GB.

EDIT: My bad, I misread.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm planning on picking up a PS3 when I get my refund, but was contemplating picking up one of those 100 dollars PSP Gos as well. Anyone tried this on the Go versus PS3? Just curious how's the scaling, how it feels, etc.

zoner said:
I'm planning on picking up a PS3 when I get my refund, but was contemplating picking up one of those 100 dollars PSP Gos as well. Anyone tried this on the Go versus PS3? Just curious how's the scaling, how it feels, etc.
I haven't tried the game on my PS3 yet, but it looks nice on my PSP-3000. I don't really like playing the game on PSP though, I'd much rather play it with a Dual Shock; but perhaps I just need to get used to it.

Cyborg said:
So true......where is the fcking sequal? They can make 13 final fantasy games but not another VS!
I would gladly sacrifice FF12 in favor for a sequel to VS on PS2.

AndyMoogle said:
I haven't tried the game on my PS3 yet, but it looks nice on my PSP-3000. I don't really like playing the game on PSP though, I'd much rather play it with a Dual Shock; but perhaps I just need to get used to it.

I would gladly sacrifice FF12 in favor for a sequel to VS on PS2.
I'd sacrifice FF13 instead.

badcrumble said:
I'd sacrifice FF13 instead.
Well, I meant that I would have wanted Matsuno's team to work on VS2 instead of FF12. FF12 was a good game imo, but I would rather want a VS that isn't held back by technology.

Shito

Probably my favorite game ever.
Make sure you play it on your PSP, guys, the screen really does wonders with this game!
I try to replay the game at least once a year, and am always astonished seeing how well it holds up!

AndyMoogle said:
Well, I meant that I would have wanted Matsuno's team to work on VS2 instead of FF12. FF12 was a good game imo, but I would rather want a VS that isn't held back by technology.
Honestly, I'd want a current-gen VS. Imagine a city like Lea Monde, but fully streaming and platformable and detailed like one of the cities from Assassin's Creed, and with allied party members that also know how to platform and follow you around. That'd be fucking amazing.

badcrumble said:
Honestly, I'd want a current-gen VS. Imagine a city like Lea Monde, but fully streaming and platformable and detailed like one of the cities from Assassin's Creed, and with allied party members that also know how to platform and follow you around. That'd be fucking amazing.
It would be, but I can't see it ever happening. If they didn't bother with it during the PS2 days, I doubt they would want to make one for this gen considering Square Enix's complaints about HD towns and whatnot.

Shito

badcrumble said:
Allied party members?
In VS?
Kind of an heresy, if you ask me...

Shito said:
Allied party members?
In VS?
Kind of an heresy, if you ask me...
The original design for VS was that Tieger and Neesa would be your allies, but that eventually got cut from the game due to budget constraints.

flyover

Pinko Marx said:
Even as a Matsuno fan...I'd say Xenogears.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. I'm not even sure exactly why, but I'd say play Xenogears, first. Then, play VS as your reward for finishing Xenogears. (Then play it again and again, because you love it.)

They're both amazing, though.

flyover

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Xenogears has a 15% chance of making you swear off RPGs forever.
Play Vagrant Story first
Well, there is that...

Whatever you pick, chances are, you can't lose. But do play one. And then the other.

Yaweee

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Xenogears has a 15% chance of making you swear off RPGs forever.
Play Vagrant Story first

This.

As clunky as Vagrant Story' mechanics may be at times, it is easily a farmore enjoyable (and stomachable) experience.

Xenogear's plot was amazing and ambitious for its time, and it still is, but VS is potentially still unrivaled in its cinematic presentation.

thundr51

Awesome game is REALLY awesome. I still have my saves from when I first played this game on my PS1. Moved them to my PS3 as soon as I could and finally copied it to my PSP.

Back when I had plenty of time created a Desktop theme (wincustomize) for it.

preview-31-2888.jpg

edit: Wow, something must be wrong with that site now...

Wired

One of the best games ever and one of a very few that I have played more than once (or twice, or even three times.... it's just so damn good) the fact that we never got a sequel is a travesty.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Beat the game a few weeks ago, running the original CD on my PS3. Best advice I can give you, beyond researching the weapons system... Herakles/Degenerate/Prostasia - use them like your life was dependent on it! Also, the battle art that restores some MP based on damage done is essential. Knowing this and it's smooth sailing till the end of the game, the final boss is a total BITCH though.

To be honest, I'm not that crazy over the game, I thought that the game had some fantastic ideas and art direction, but the interface was much too sluggish (especially since you're gonna be spending a LOT of time in the menus). Really hoping for a TO PSP styled remake one day.

bengraven

The art in this game was sooo fucking great. I used to draw little fan arts of the main female character on the margins of my college notes. ha

I only got about halfway through before things became too complicated and difficult for me to play. Got to point where I was doing nothing to humans, though murdering other creatures and I needed to get past some humans.

Alucrid

Banned
Ok, I'm loving this game so far. Such a good opening sequence. I have a few questions though...

1) What are the blue circles?
2) The containers. Are these all over the game? Does the stuff you put inside stay the same for each different container location?
3) Do you get loot? Is it dropped from enemies or what? Right now I'm just like five rooms in...so I can see why I haven't gotten any yet.

Peff

Alucrid said:
Ok, I'm loving this game so far. Such a good opening sequence. I have a few questions though...

1) What are the blue circles?
2) The containers. Are these all over the game? Does the stuff you put inside stay the same for each different container location?
3) Do you get loot? Is it dropped from enemies or what? Right now I'm just like five rooms in...so I can see why I haven't gotten any yet.

1) Save points.
2) Yes. Yes. But in order to use them you have to save, so make sure you do all the movements you need so you don't have to re-open it again right after.
3) Yes. Normal enemies drop loot randomly, usually health/risk recovery items but not limited to it. Several encounters (bosses and a couple of others) have preset loot which is usually very useful.

Glix said:
Why do I keep buying Square games on PSN when I already have the discs?

LOL I was wondering the same thing myself, but I can't help myself. Probably convenience. Having a dozen great PS1 games all laid out on one menu on my PSP and PS3 sure beats having to walk over to the shelf, take the disk out and load it up. Also don't like having to hear the disk reading sound on my PS3.

Bought this last night and put a an hour into it. Hopefully I will stick with it and not get frustrated when one of the later bosses obliterates me, or I have to fight an entire battle doing 1 DMG. That one guide posted from Somethingawful will be a godsend.

Magnus

Tried and failed to get into this on four separate occasions over the years. Needlessly obtuse and over-complicated combat/weapons systems got in the way of such a beautifully presented world/story.

Maybe the fifth time'll be the charm.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm nearly 6 hours in and can provide a bit of early game support to alleviate ~some~ frustrations.

-Be mindful of room exits. The first major game area is a big one and has a couple particularly awesome optional rooms with bonus treasure to find(some doors require a bit of box manipulation to reach).

-Stick to the recommended 3-weapon types(Blunt/Edge/Pierce). As mentioned already, the enemy class and element is less important, and I can so far truly confirm this is all you need to focus on. In fact just switch between using the rapier and the axe(or starter sword) for the entirety of the first major dungeon and you'll be fine. The axe will decimate almost everything in the first several hours alone, but a few enemies will require the PIERCE damage of the rapier(some mini-bosses require it!). It should be obvious when to switch to rapier given the meager axe damage output.

You -will- get a blunt weapon(named Pink something) but you only ever need to use it against a single particular boss late in the dungeon. (HINT: It's made of a substance you would think to SMASH with a blunt object...)

-Once you hit the first workshop midway through the dungeon, you really don't need to bother crafting at all. In fact I recommend NOT doing anything with your weapons as you'll want to save those components for when you hit Workshop 2 just after the dungeon ends. You can screw around mixing your shields and armor though...some combinations will give very slight improvements and better 'named' equipment. But really you can skip this first workshop and not get hung up trying to make anything cool(which you won't).

-Oh but :DO: store excess weapons and armor in the workshop chest. You have limited on-hand inventory and you don't want to trash any new loot because you have no space on hand...

-Finally when you do finish the dungeon, step outside into the green city, and reach the second workshop. Here are some great recipes for new equipment:(You should have all components if you didn't futz around in workshop 1.)

-Combine (Bronze)Scimitar+(Iron)Spear=(I) Spatha.
Then, (I)Spatha + (B)Rapier = Super cool (Hagane)Short Sword!!

-Also you can mix your (B)Axe blade with an (I)Mace 6to get a (Hagane)Blunt Mace.

Both those weapons are great for what's ahead...and you'll get a new rapier soon to replace the one you just molded so you have all three damage types again in your inventory.

Cheers!

Oh and just after you craft those weapons you will get the Analyze spell...basically use it constantly to figure out what weapon you need to use against an enemy. It's never really cut and dry based on class(Some humans in same fight have different weaknesses).

Top Bottom