• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vagrant Story |OT| Finest game in all of Valendia

Vagrant_Story.jpg

Vagrant Story is a console role-playing game developed and published by Square Co., Ltd. for the Sony PlayStation video game console in 2000. The game features a focus on weapon modification and creation, and the story revolves around Ashley Riot, an agent of a kingdom sent to investigate heinous crime, which leads him into the deserted ruins of the cursed city Leá Monde.
From http://square.wikia.com/wiki/Vagrant_Story

vs_13_640w.jpg

Out now on PSN. Will Update OP later

LiK

It begins. Maybe this rerelease will encourage me to finish it. The game mechanics confounded me when I was younger.

Duderz

Banned
Best game on PlayStation? Quite possibly, I really need to replay it and for $6 (right?), I have no reason not to.

I can't wait to get home from work so that I can buy this and then not play it!
Must finish playthrough of Xenogears first.

taoofjord

SabinFigaro said:
I will say again: best game of the 32-bit era, and proof of Square's lost touch.

Don't let the complexity deter you.

Did Square lose their touch or did they just lose Matsuno? We all know the answer.

Leckan

These latest PSN release from SE is embarrassing for them because:

A) They were called Squaresoft back then and...

B) They show how far they've fallen when you compare their newer games with them.

I'm not complaining though.

CozMick

Banned
Hasn't this game been on the Euro store for months?

What exactly is so special about it? I always assumed it was a FF clone

AwShucks

CozMick said:
Hasn't this game been on the Euro store for months?

What exactly is so special about it? I always assumed it was a FF clone

Not even close. I'll let somebody else who has played it more recently than I explain in more detail.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I never beaten this game during the PSone days cause I never understood the game mechanics. Hopefully I'll actually beat it this time

teepo

it took me three times restarting it to finally grasp the mechanics.

something just clicked and i fell in love with the game.

then my memory card decided to erase itself...

This is one of my favorite games ever. I love the story. The game's fighting mechanic is rhythm-based. I was well into the game before I realized this. I never did finish the Iron Maiden.

Crazy how I'm spending more time playing old PS1 RPGs on my PS3 than anything else these days. Arc the Lad, Front Mission 3, Xenogears, now Vagrant Story.

Emotions

i already got it!!! i will begin playing it shortly.. first time ever.. i got it on disc a couple of years ago but always wanted to play it on my psp

Anybody want my 50% off Vagrant Story code that came with Tactics Ogre?

Bear in mind this is for the Euro PSN store. I already have the game from when it originally went up in Europe.

Edit: Thought I'd just add. I found it much more playable to customise the PSP controls as such. PSP controls on left, PSOne on right.

D-Pad
Up - L1 + R1
Down - L2 + R2
Left - L1
Right - R1

Analogue Nub
Up (AN) - Up (DPad)
Down (AN) - Down (DPad)
Left (AN) - Left (DPad)
Right (AN) - Right (DPad)

Face Buttons
Same

Shoulder Buttons
L - L2
R - R2

CozMick

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:

Bear in mind this is for the Euro PSN store. I already have the game from when it originally went up in Europe.

Will take it :)

Apath

Die Squirrel Die said:

So the code won't work on the US PSN Store? I've never played the game, but for $2.99 I'd be willing to give it a shot :D

Peff

Bought it last week with the voucher despite owning it since release. I should have probably waited for the superior NTSC version but oh well.

Also, Type>>>>>Class/Affinity. Class is mostly unimportant compared to the other two and it's incredibly tedious not only to level but also to carry SIX weapons at all times. A different weapon of each type is more than enough to finish the game with ease. I did it again from scratch this January!

Ah, Vagrant Story. Bought it upon initial release (still have my pristine copy on the shelf), couldn't wrap my young mind around the mechanics, quit at about three hours in, went back a year or so later, decided to be patient and learn the game, finished it and fell in love. For six bucks no one has an excuse to not try it.

Maaseru

Banned
So someone please recommend me one. I bought Xenogears and now Vangrant Story and eventually will play both. But with which one should I start?

I've always seen Xenogears to be compared to a FFVII type of game, but I have never plaed it.

I played a bit of Vagrant Story back in the day, I mostly watched my bro play, but I liked it.

For anyone playing the first time thru, an FAQ on the game mechanics is REQUIRED READING. Seriously. If you don't study up on at least how to properly train your weapons you WILL get stuck.

Fusebox

Banned
Can we get some screenshots up in this joint? I loved VS in the day but I can't imagine it looking any good on a 50" HD display.

Top Bottom