• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs - 2015 edition

Wazzy

Banned
Ughhhh I missed voting again? I miss it every year :lol
Glad to see VIII in top 50 even though it's placement isn't ideal.

I'm not a fan of the top ten. I love games like Persona 3 and Fire Emblem Awakening but I don't think they have any place in the top ten, especially with Persona 4 ranking in at 2. It's disappointing to see how many games went down this year such as Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Suikoden II, etc.

My personal top ten is:
1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Persona 4
4. Dragon Quest VIII
5. Pokemon Silver
6. Final Fantasy X-X-2(tied for me)
7. Xenogears
8. Valkyrie Chronicles
9. Ys 7
10. Parasite Eve

Kingdom Hearts kind of battles with Parasite Eve

I wish I could have voted now. Since I have voted I have gotten into the Ys series, beaten Chrono Trigger,and am currently playing through Xenoblade. My top 10 would look a little different. At least Skies of Arcadia wouldn't have charted.

hemtae

Ughhhh I missed voting again? I miss it every year :lol
Glad to see VIII in top 50 even though it's placement isn't ideal.

I'm not a fan of the top ten. I love games like Persona 3 and Fire Emblem Awakening but I don't think they have any place in the top ten, especially with Persona 4 ranking in at 2. It's disappointing to see how many games went down this year such as Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Suikoden II, etc.

My personal top ten is:
1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Persona 4
4. Dragon Quest VIII
5. Pokemon Silver
6. Final Fantasy X-X-2(tied for me)
7. Xenogears
8. Valkyrie Chronicles
9. Ys 7
10. Parasite Eve

Kingdom Hearts kind of battles with Parasite Eve

If you had voted, I think you would have pushed Persona 4 into the number 1 spot.

Thanks for not voting ;)

Maxim726X

I was always under the impression that DQVIII was the best in the series?

Is this not the case? Never played through all of it... But I did play through V, and I thought that was awesome.

I was always under the impression that DQVIII was the best in the series?

Is this not the case? Never played through all of it... But I did play through V, and I thought that was awesome.

Not a whole lot of consensus on what's the best Dragon Quest to be honest. DQ1 & 2 tend to get ignored, but I've seen people call everything from DQ3 to DQ9 the best game in the series. DQ5 & 8 are generally well regarded though.

kswiston

#51-75 are posted in the OP. I will post the last 25 games in the top 100 tomorrow (along with vote tallies). I will probably make the multi-game banners again down the road if I have time.

ilium

thanks for the work!

suprised to see Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky so low on the list. it always seemed well loved here on gaf.

Thores

thanks for the work!

suprised to see Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky so low on the list. it always seemed well loved here on gaf.

It barely broke the Top 50 in the previous list, and up until mid-2014 the localization could only be played on a dead system. I imagine that in the hypothetical next version of this thread, its ranking will have gone up again thanks to the Steam re-release.

kswiston

My daughter went to bed an hour later than she should have, so I don't have as much time to update this thread/look through the ties as I hoped I would. I added Everything that received at least 15 points (up to #84). I will try to get the remaining games up tomorrow.

Darklands is #97

#97-102 all received 12 points, but 4 of the 6 received a 1 three point vote, which conveniently leaves me with an untied #100.

Panzer Dragoon Saga and System Shock 2 are the two titles that narrowly missed the top 100.

thanks for the work!

While Trails in the Sky is a very enjoyable game it suffers from two things. The first is that it is unfinished. It is only half of the games story. So it is hard to rank the game when it is incomplete. The second is that, well there isn't really anything exceptional about it. It's just a really good classic style JRPG. It isn't as crazy polished as Chrono Trigger and it isn't as ambitious as Xenoblade. It sets out to be a really good JRPG and it succeeds. Unfortunately that doesn't translate to Top 10, 20, or even 50 material.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sad to see Lufia 2 didn't even make it on the list. Imo the best 16 bit RPG I've played so far. Currently I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the first time and it seems to be a lot of fun, too, but the dungeon design starts a lot weaker than Lufia 2's.

idalarian

91) Tactics Ogre (1995)
Genre: Tactical RPG
Platforms: SNES, Saturn, PS1, Virtual Console, PSP
Completion Time: 45-65 hours
Available Digitally? YES

92) Vagrant Story (2000)
Genre: Turn-based RPG
Platforms: PS1, PSN
Completion Time: 20-35 hours
Available Digitally? YES

:'((((

Ok next time I won't forget you both and join this contest just to show you some love! I promise!

Sad to see Lufia 2 didn't even make it on the list. Imo the best 16 bit RPG I've played so far. Currently I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the first time and it seems to be a lot of fun, too, but the dungeon design starts a lot weaker than Lufia 2's.

Seriously, that one too isn't here!?!? Damn Lufia 2 just deserves to be high up here. Well-thought out dungeon design, great puzzle, great characters, memorable music, awesome ancien dungeon with randomized floors for loot, and let's not forget about the whole ending sequence!! Just too many reasons to love that game!

Raggie

I think my biggest surprise was to see Skyrim so low down on the list, considering it's still insanely popular on Steam and AFAIK the bestselling RPG of all time.

Yeah, Lufia 2 has much better dungeon design than the vast majority of RPGs.

I think my biggest surprise was to see Skyrim so low down on the list, considering it's still insanely popular on Steam and AFAIK the bestselling RPG of all time.

If you combine variant games within a generation, there are a couple Pokémon generations that have outsold it. Also, maybe World of Warcraft (hard to tell since they give data on active subscribers, not total purchases).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Seriously, that one too isn't here!?!? Damn Lufia 2 just deserves to be high up here. Well-thought out dungeon design, great puzzle, great characters, memorable music, awesome ancien dungeon with randomized floors for loot, and let's not forget about the whole ending sequence!! Just too many reasons to love that game!
I think I even was the only one who voted for it...

Yeah, Lufia 2 has much better dungeon design than the vast majority of RPGs.
Considering most of the time spent on an RPG is spent in the dungeons,o ne should thinkt it'd end up higher on the list :(.

Raggie

I think I even was the only one who voted for it...

Considering most of the time spent on an RPG is spent in the dungeons,o ne should thinkt it'd end up higher on the list :(.

I think it's one of those games that doesn't get a high rating because not a lot of people played it.

kswiston

Are any more updates to be expected?

Yes. I feel like a broken record with the delayed updates, but I am a high school teacher working at a private school with an 8 hour school day (meaning I am there at least 10 hours a day) who also has a young daughter. What limited free time I get after my daughter goes to sleep (usually an hour or two at the most) has to be split among a lot of activities :p

That said, my kids are off for spring break this coming week, so I finally have the time to finish up the thread.

Raggie

Yes. I feel like a broken record with the delayed updates, but I am a high school teacher working at a private school with an 8 hour school day (meaning I am there at least 10 hours a day) who also has a young daughter. What limited free time I get after my daughter goes to sleep (usually an hour or two at the most) has to be split among a lot of activities :p

I understand perfectly. You've done a fantastic job for no pay, and I do appreciate it!

I'd be willing to do it, assuming that kswiston is okay with that.

These threads have been great for discussion and cultivation of some classic titles over the years, so I'd hate to see them go.

This year will certainly be interesting.

Pillars of Eternity, The Witcher III, Xenoblade X, Undertale, Bloodborne, and TitS: SC will shake things up.

It's been a pretty incredibly year for RPGs and gaming in general.

I always kind of wanted GAF to do a "Essential video games of all-time" list to cover games in general. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to do it.

KuwabaraTheMan, if you need any help putting the thread together, let me know. I might be able to pitch in if you need anything with the grunt work.
I always kind of wanted GAF to do a "Essential video games of all-time" list to cover games in general. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to do it.
My God that would be a pain in the butt. Amazing to have, but a paint to make.

kswiston

As I said above, I'm planning to make the thread this year.

I'll probably put it up either tonight or tomorrow.

If you decide that you want to take over, I just ask that you commit enough to it to do it right. I know that I said I was done, but I'd hate to see future threads be half-hearted attempts at copying my template. We had a bunch of copy-cat threads for other genres a couple of years ago that I had nothing to do with and none of them were done particularly well/got much conversation going.

I don't think it would be bragging to say that the difference was that I put 30-40 hours into making a good finished product when the votes were all tallied.

If it would help, and you have some skill/knowledge of photoshop, I can give you my photoshop templates for the game banners. They are set up in such a way that changing them is pretty straight forward. I also have an excel sheet that I used to track points/votes that I could share (unless you are going to try to count votes with a script of some type). Send me a PM if you are interested.

Coreda

Why is the list named after the next year rather than the year it was posted? The '2015 edition' excluded RPGs released in 2015 that may have been included.

kswiston

Why is the list named after the next year rather than the year it was posted? The '2015 edition' excluded RPGs released in 2015 that may have been included.

I used to run the voting period in December and post the results in January.

The idea was to start a new year of gaming off with a new list. Not honor games of the past year (like the GOTY threads) since most of those don't end up making the cut anyhow.

I would rather these best of all time threads have more than a year separating them. It seems weird to update a list like this with only a year worth of new titles.

If you decide that you want to take over, I just ask that you commit enough to it to do it right. I know that I said I was done, but I'd hate to see future threads be half-hearted attempts at copying my template. We had a bunch of copy-cat threads for other genres a couple of years ago that I had nothing to do with and none of them were done particularly well/got much conversation going.

I don't think it would be bragging to say that the difference was that I put 30-40 hours into making a good finished product when the votes were all tallied.

If it would help, and you have some skill/knowledge of photoshop, I can give you my photoshop templates for the game banners. They are set up in such a way that changing them is pretty straight forward. I also have an excel sheet that I used to track points/votes that I could share (unless you are going to try to count votes with a script of some type). Send me a PM if you are interested.

Oh, I absolutely get that. It's not my desire to just do something half-assed.

I think you had a generally good format for these threads, so I'm not intending to change everything, but I definitely want to put my own spin on the thread and change things up to some extent.

I'm definitely going into this with the mindset that I'll need to dedicate a fair amount of time to making the end product a really good thread, and a worthy successor to the previous iterations of the thread. I certainly don't want to just tally up the votes and put out a fairly pedestrian list with a few short comments about each title.

I would rather these best of all time threads have more than a year separating them. It seems weird to update a list like this with only a year worth of new titles.
My only issue with yearly updates isn't having only a year's worth of new stuff, but the question of time. It's an issue I have with review scores in general actually, where I think people are too quick to slap a score on, rather than sit and reflect on something for a good while. Have we really had enough time to sit on everything from 2015? Hell, I've barely had enough time to sit on everything from 2014.
This sounds amazing to do, but I'm not sure how we'd even cover it...

Cyrano

Seeing FFVII that high on the list hurts my soul a little. Going to keep believing it's just the nostalgia talking.

Seeing games like Planescape Torment lose out to it hurts my soul more though, I think.

Legit surprised to see Chrono Trigger at #1 but it's my fave game so I got no complaints. I wonder what Persona 5 will do to shake up the list next year... and maybe more Dragon's Dogma fans post-PC release? Not seeing Witcher 3 (but older Witcher games?) is also surprising. Chalking that up to lots of people not having finished it yet.

Seeing FFVII that high on the list hurts my soul a little. Going to keep believing it's just the nostalgia talking.

Seeing games like Planescape Torment lose out to it hurts my soul more though, I think.

Legit surprised to see Chrono Trigger at #1 but it's my fave game so I got no complaints. I wonder what Persona 5 will do to shake up the list next year... and maybe more Dragon's Dogma fans post-PC release? Not seeing Witcher 3 (but older Witcher games?) is also surprising. Chalking that up to lots of people not having finished it yet.

This thread is from the beginning of the year, so The Witcher III wasn't out yet. I expect it to feature prominently on the 2016 thread.

Cyrano

This thread is from the beginning of the year, so The Witcher III wasn't out yet. I expect it to feature prominently on the 2016 thread.
Haha, so no one had finished it yet then? Thanks for the explanation.

edit: guess that also explains no Bloodborne. Sure that will also be prominent next year.

I had heard about Planescape Torment but I had no idea what it was about or how well love for was. Sounds awesome, will be picking it up sometime soon.

kswiston

Haha, so no one had finished it yet then? Thanks for the explanation.

edit: guess that also explains no Bloodborne. Sure that will also be prominent next year.

By the beginning of the year, he means that I ended the voting on Jan 2nd. No one had a chance to play any 2015 title :p

Top Bottom