• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is retiring March 2024

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now make PS6 with some good old exotic hardware.
999 US DOLLARS
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
Give I Want One GIF

Topher

Gold Member
30 years. Mid-50s. Worth north of 250 million. The product he is responsible for is pony-whipping the competition. I wonder if he is going out on top, after a long successful career or if he got fired because "reasons".

28mc.gif

Really? He's just a year older than David Jaffe. Hell.....just a year older than me. Is that accurate?

Last edited:
I think he's been given his marching orders. PlayStation's communication under Jim has been very poor and quite honestly the future of PlayStation isn't looking great right now. We have an idea of some immediate plans, but there's so much more unknown it's a little disappointing. I think Jim also handled the ABK situation very poorly and these live service games look like fucking trash. I think he's sold the heads of Sony corp a vision that no longer makes sense. Allowing him to leave gracefully is best for everyone. If he has been sacked, whether pushed or outright, I don't think Sony want it known. If that was the case it would not look very good given how much of a boost in mind share that Microsoft have as Sony's biggest competitor.

JaksGhost

I think he's been given his marching orders. PlayStation's communication under Jim has been very poor and quite honestly the future of PlayStation isn't looking great right now. We have an idea of some immediate plans, but there's so much more unknown it's a little disappointing. I think Jim also handled the ABK situation very poorly and these live service games look like fucking trash. I think he's sold the heads of Sony corp a vision that no longer makes sense. Allowing him to leave gracefully is best for everyone. If he has been sacked, whether pushed or outright, I don't think Sony want it known. If that was the case it would not look very good given how much of a boost in mind share that Microsoft have as Sony's biggest competitor.
He sold them console sales and record profits. All of what you wrote is pure fanfic.

Reckheim

There's a pretty big chance they actually did. All I've been hearing is "Jim Ryan's leading PlayStation's best performance ever"...

If it were really him, why the sudden retirement, in the middle of the console generation? Really makes you wonder.

Personally I don't think Jim Ryan has been a complete bust, but there are quite a few things about Sony's current strategy (mainly regarding the PC ports, slow pace in M&A of notable 3P gaming devs/pubs/content, decrease in effective messaging with enthusiasts, sudden price hikes, the heavy GaaS focus etc.) that he has to answer for and I guess this is the answer.

I think all the time & resources spent trying to voice against the ABK deal only for it to ultimately be fruitless, is the damning one. I'd really love to hear more about what pushed Shawn Layden out, even more given this news.

agh yes, Sony letting a guy announce his retirement 6 months before he actually leaves definitely seems like he got fired.

Last edited:

ulantan

...what was he supposed to do about abk he got the deal extended by 7 years and started working on competing products?

Elios83

Jim is a great businessman, it won't be easy for Sony to find a replacement with the same business competence and intimate knowledge of Playstation. Actually there just isn't a figure with both qualities.
And that's why the Sony's CFO himself will take the role ad Interim, basically the number two person in the whole group.
But at his age, after thirty years of work and a job that required traveling from NA to UK constantly as he said the PR, the moment was a matter of when.

I doubt that the business strategies laid out internally will see particular changes, those things take years to be changed and given the success they're having there is no reason to change.
Maybe the new CEO will like to do conferences and interviews every week and some fans will now be happy at the marketing level :pie_roffles:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You just know they are going to replace him with some douchebag who is all about mobile gaming.
Even worse would be the CFO doing the role permanently. Unless a finance person has sales side experience (ie. not a bean counting accountant), finance people as a whole are the worst for business strategy from what I've ever seen in meetings. Most are very black and white just looking at the dollars and ratios with poor sense in strategy. The majority of them dont even know or understand the products. They dont view company products as 12 different size cases of coke and pepsi aimed at different stores. They view it SAP code 123272743, code 020137576, code 14679456. Code 5937625374 is the most profitable product at the company so every sales person should sell that one as much as possible.

The sales and marketing leaders are way more in tune with customers and products.

Last edited:

Fake

People acting like Jim was some sort of savior to the Playstation. Forgeting what PS4 era was somehow.

If all you people care about are sales and profit, I not gonna deny, Jim is your man.

Hope the next ceo promove new IPs, japanese games, japanese devs and less CoD/FIFA/GAAS.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

Hope they replace him with somebody from the gaming side of the business instead of a bean counter. But we all know it's gonna be another bean counter.
Yup. As much as people (understandably) want to celebrate Jim Ryan's departure, I'm not convinced that things at Sony are going to change all that much with whoever replaces him. This is cynical, but I see a case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" happening.

Last edited:

Aion002

Hopefully the person that takes his place doesn't look at ps2 and ps1 games and questions why would anybody play those.

Also, I really hope that the gaas focus won't increase even more with whoever gets the job.

[Sigma]

Literally the opitomy of inheriting greatness.

Glad there's a Japanese person taking over.

I don't think Jim did anything. Have we even seen any games he signed off?
I agree with the first sentence at least. PlayStation was already train at that point moving full speed ahead thanks to the work of the leaderships before. He just needed to not wreck it. He did make some moves though so I'll give him some credit. But imo, PlayStation has become far too greedy under him because of his mentality. It's not about need, it's about greed. And under him and Hermen, PlayStation has become it's worst creative wise imo despite turnout games at the beginning of the this gen. I only wish he could take Hermen with him.

Last edited:

Vol5

Interesting wording around reconciling his personal life vs. his work life. Generally you get those types of comments when the business you work for make you redundant with "Your job is available, but only if you are present in [insert country]". It's a way of moving people out, but giving them the choice. Then again I don't see how you could even dream of working remotely when you are the man to greenlight +$100 million video games. You would have to be present almost always and have those face to face meetings and see the product.

Having been at Sony for 30+ years I think it's amazing he was given the opportunity to lead Playstation, but I'm not a huge fan of his vision truth be told.

tmlDan

People acting like Jim was some sort of savior to the Playstation. Forgeting what PS4 era was somehow.

If all you people care about are sales and profit, I not gonna deny, Jim is your man.

Hope the next ceo promove new IPs, japanese games, japanese devs and less CoD/FIFA/GAAS.
So your hope for the future is less money, smaller dev teams (cutbacks due to less COD/Fifa and more Japanese devs) and potential bankruptcy cause MS is gonna buy up the industry? cool.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Interesting wording around reconciling his personal life vs. his work life. Generally you get those types of comments when the business you work for make you redundant with "Your job is available, but only if you are present in [insert country]". It's a way of moving people out, but giving them the choice. Then again I don't see how you could even dream of working remotely when you are the man to greenlight +$100 million video games. You would have to be present almost always and have those face to face meetings and see the product.

Having been at Sony for 30+ years I think it's amazing he was given the opportunity to lead Playstation, but I'm not a huge fan of his vision truth be told.
Jobs like his are jobs that consume your life. You don't clock out at 5 and turn it off until 9 the next day. It's always being available pretty much all the time. That kind of language is him making work redundant.

Astray

Weird to see speculation that he got fired. Fired CEOs don't spend 6 more months at the company, they get out immediately, even if the company keeps paying them to contract end.

His bosses are in Japan, his family is in Europe and his most important supervision work is in the US.

That's at least 3-4 timezones on its own, nevermind other regions of the world he has to fly to occasionally.

You ain't wrong; that's exactly what he's doing 😂

Big ups Bryank.

agh yes, Sony letting a guy announce his retirement 6 months before he actually leaves definitely seems like he got fired.

I got caught up in the surprise announcement hype, ngl.

Sony will never need to do that because their strongest 3P partners have nothing to want to do with Xbox, who is in last place, has the lowest console sales, and buys the least fucking games. They're an afterthought only considered when gamepass is in the equation. Why the fuck would they ever want to sell to Microsoft, or even make any major deals with them unless MS brings a ginormous sum of cash to the table? Capcom said they wouldn't let it happen, already. I can imagine many other 3P publishers feel the same way too.

It's not just about console sales though; MS have shown they're willing to over-pay to just...completely own the company altogether. Alleviate shareholders and BoD of the "stress" of needing to generate their own revenue and profits anymore, because that becomes Microsoft's issue going forward. And if ABK, who were one of Sony's strongest 3P partners by far, was willing to cave in, what makes these other publishers invulnerable to doing the same?

MS are like a vulture; they will wait until a target starts showing signs of bleeding out, then dying, before swooping in to claim them for their own. They can, literally, wait it out for ages in that case. That's what makes them a problem. Like I've heard Capcom's statements, but you never know if 10, or even 5, years from now their fiscal situation takes a horrid turn. And guess who'll be right there offering a buyout?

Yeah, you guessed it. Mascot Spencer™.

Begleiter

Good riddance. He seemed to be coasting on the work of his predecessors and there's been little to like about his tenure. Hopefully his successor is a bit more clued up.

Lokaum D+

Jim was literally in charge of Europe that's all him.
Are you serious? he was president and CEO of SIEE and even before that, he was SIEE's executive vice president and co-chief operating officer (COO).

A brief history of Playstation brand first, Playstation was released September '95 in Europe, Playstation 2 was released in '00 and Playstaion 3 in '06. Jim Ryam actually joined Sony in '94, but it wasn't until 2011 that he began serving as vice president and later became president of SIEE.

All that said are you telling me that from '94 until '11 Sony was unable to consolidate itself as a giant in Europe and it was only when Jim joined that he managed to transform the Playstation brand into the Europe market leader?

Last edited:
You just know they are going to replace him with some douchebag who is all about mobile gaming.
"Fire Phil Spencer."

Everyone always knew a lot of you guys didnt expect a replacement to actually be better. Not even trying to argue. Anytime a new CEO comes in what you said is the most likely outcome.

tmlDan

A brief history of Playstation brand first, Playstation was released September '95 in Europe, Playstation 2 was released in '00 and Playstaion 3 in '06. Jim Ryam actually joined Sony in '94, but it wasn't until 2011 that he began serving as vice president and later became president of SIEE.

All that said are you telling me that from '94 until '11 Sony was unable to consolidate itself as a giant in Europe and it was only when Jim joined that he managed to transform the Playstation brand into the Europe market leader?
Ryan began working for Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) in 1994, the year before the first PlayStation console launched. In his first year at the job, Ryan helped establish Sony's presence in Europe by finding offices and hiring staff.

You can google this stuff.

I'd say even at the beginning he had a large part to play in that

Top Bottom