• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

Got the Japanese version on release and just finished it last night, lol.

I kinda wish it was 10-20 hours shorter than it is, but as the game was wrapping up I thought to myself "you know, this was a really damn cool experience". 3 and 4 I thought were ok and never clicked for me in the same way. Don't regret picking this up at all despite being unsure of how much I would like it.

I'll definitely replay it someday as I skipped a ton of stuff for the sake not spending all eternity on one game, maybe whenever Altus does a rerelease of it.

Fireblend

Banned
Interesting. Thanks.

Sort of sounds like comparisons to other games might be tough. Sounds like it's a pretty unique thing. I don't have any experience at all with the Megami Tensei games either.

The style part was definitely the first thing I noticed watching the quick look. It sounds like it's a self contained story? So you don't really need the background from the previous games?
Yep, though they do take place in the same universe afaik, the connection between games amounts to a few references for fans. They're all standalone stories you can safely play without having played any previous one. That said, P3 and P4 are outstanding games.

The wait has been so long. P4 is already one of my favourite games, but basically everything I know about the themes, art, etc in P5 is more firmly up my alley. Could easily end up one of my favorite games ever.

I'm glad there are so many newcomers interested this time around. I can't wait to read your impressions!

Mediking

I AM SO HYPED!

jmOqBHi.gif

One of the most underrated hype gifs of all time.

Matsukaze

The style part was definitely the first thing I noticed watching the quick look. It sounds like it's a self contained story? So you don't really need the background from the previous games?
Aside from maybe a few easter eggs or allusions, you are perfectly good starting with this game. The story isn't dependent on the past games.

I do love me some Loopawn!

Oh wait, this is a Persona thread. I really want this game, but Zelda is still eating up so much of my time - and I didn't even get to Nier and FFXV yet. :(

Interesting. Thanks.

Sort of sounds like comparisons to other games might be tough. Sounds like it's a pretty unique thing. I don't have any experience at all with the Megami Tensei games either.

That part sounds particularly cool and interesting.

Nope! Some are more reference heavy than others, but from my understanding P5 is pretty light on those so you should be good to jump in, but if you enjoy it I highly recommend checking out the rest of the series.

The mythology part comes from the Megami Tensei series, where they use all kinda of deities as Demons that can be recruited to join you in battle and appear here as "Personas", so if that sounds like your cup of tea definitely check out the Shin Megami Tensei umbrella of games as well.

Persona 5 is probably gonna be your best jumping in point, though the Persona games (At least 3, 4, & 5) are pretty long commitments. I've seen people rush them in like 50-60 hours, but it's not uncommon to play one for 90-100+ hours so be aware of that as well.

Mupod

You'd think I'd have had time to come up with a good character name, given all this extra time we've had.

Shit.

Matsukaze

You'd think I'd have had time to come up with a good character name, given all this extra time we've had.

Shit.
I'm in the exact same boat lol. I read up the MC's canon/manga name just in case I couldn't think of anything that really clicked with me.

Nachos

Not that I'm complaining but why is the OT up so early? Comes out the 4th yeah?

EDIT: cause of early copies I guess? Lucky mofos
Yeah, I don't remember OTs going up early after the mods changed the rules for when you could post them, even with people getting it early.

Lol! Embrace the red. It's the theme color after all. :)

Not even the actual game has that much red. It's mostly grayscale with red as an accent.

Shit.

I'm probably gonna go with Akira Kurusu, given that's the main characters name in the manga. Then once a Canon name is given from the anime/spin offs, when they rerelease an expanded version (If they do with P5 at all) I name them their canon name.

Fireblend

Banned
I think I'm gonna end up flipping a coin to decide whether I go with the Japanese or American voice cast. I liked P4's dub, this one also sounds very competent, and I loved Prompto in FFXV whose voice actor also appears here, so those are some pretty solid points in favor of the NA voices.

On the other hand, having just played Yakuza 0 and having played other Japanese games set in Japan in that same language, I really enjoy the coherence, plus I'm pretty used to watching subbed anime and like their more melodramatic-sounding lines, so yeah. Plus, the cast is also pretty damn stellar.

=/

Damn. Altus should helicopter you over a fresh copy just based on the quality of the OT. In an alternate universe where I'm not already a Persona fan this would have sold me on the game....

I'm flattered - seriously, thank you so much. It's so validating to get praise like this after spending so long on it.

Nice OT.

But no Gaga? I'm disappointed in Atlus.

Thanks. (They would've gone with Gaga but the thieves stole their hiring budget.)

Yep, though they do take place in the same universe afaik, the connection between games amounts to a few references for fans. They're all standalone stories you can safely play without having played any previous one. That said, P3 and P4 are outstanding games.

Aside from maybe a few easter eggs or allusions, you are perfectly good starting with this game. The story isn't dependent on the past games.

Nope! Some are more reference heavy than others, but from my understanding P5 is pretty light on those so you should be good to jump in, but if you enjoy it I highly recommend checking out the rest of the series.

The mythology part comes from the Megami Tensei series, where they use all kinda of deities as Demons that can be recruited to join you in battle and appear here as "Personas", so if that sounds like your cup of tea definitely check out the Shin Megami Tensei umbrella of games as well.

Persona 5 is probably gonna be your best jumping in point, though the Persona games (At least 3, 4, & 5) are pretty long commitments. I've seen people rush them in like 50-60 hours, but it's not uncommon to play one for 90-100+ hours so be aware of that as well.

Cool! I think I'm going to pick it up out of sheer fascination and interest.

Time commitment isn't a huge deal and I love battle focused rpgs, so I'm sure there will be plenty to like. It also looks like a super unique and off the wall game, and I think that's what I'm in the mood for.

Thanks!

Man... can't believe its almost here.

Still deciding on my weeb name for the game in lieu of an "Yu Narukami" canonical one. — Yes, I know he has a name in the manga
Akira Kurusu
, but I'm considering that "Souji Seta"-status until further notice.

In the meantime I'm thinking of "Yasuo Kaito" (I'm unsure which to use as given name /family name).

Showing my power levels a bit, but Yasuo is an homage to Yasuo Yamada, the voice actor for Lupin III during the first series + Castle of Cagliostro
(though not actually the original VA, that would be Nozawa Nachi)
. While Kaito is from 怪盗/ kaitō meaning thief. I like the obvious pun and the idea of people calling me "Thief-kun" while playing.

Any other suggestions?

I think I'm gonna end up flipping a coin to decide whether I go with the Japanese or American voice cast. I liked P4's dub, this one also sounds very competent, and I loved Prompto in FFXV whose voice actor also appears here, so those are some pretty solid points in favor of the NA voices.

On the other hand, having just played Yakuza 0 and having played other Japanese games set in Japan in that same language, I really enjoy the coherence, plus I'm pretty used to watching subbed anime and like their more melodramatic-sounding lines, so yeah. Plus, the cast is also pretty damn stellar.

=/

I'm definitely going to go for the Japanese voices, it's always my first choice. While the dubs for P3/P4 were great, I found myself surprised at how many great seiyuu were in the cast for the past 4 games when listening to Drama CDs or watching the anime/movies. I always ended up enjoying them much more, even though I did love the dubs. I'm sure this one won't be any different, but when you got Fukuyama Jun, Sugita Tomokazu, Miyano Mamoru, Otani Ikue, and Sato Rina in the main cast alone, you've sold me from moment one. I played FFXV in Japanese as well and Miyano's role as Ignis was as great as everything else he's done, so I'm looking forward to hearing more of him.

It has a Lupin reference in the title so I had to post in the thread even if I haven't played a Persona not do I have a PS4 on which to play this one.

(I have a PS3 but shhh)

Man... can't believe its almost here.

Still deciding on my weeb name for the game in lieu of an official "Yu Narukami / Narukami Yu" name. — Yes, I know he has a name in the manga
Kurusu Akira
, but I consider that "Souji Seta"-status until further notice.

In the meantime I'm thinking of "Yasuo Kaito" (I'm unsure which to use as given name /family name).

Showing my power levels a bit, but Yasuo is an homage to Yasuo Yamada, the voice actor for Lupin III during the first series + Castle of Cagliostro
(though not actually the original VA, that would be Nozawa Nachi)
. While Kaito is from 怪盗/ kaitō meaning thief. I like the obvious pun and the idea of people calling me "Thief-kun" while playing.

Any other suggestions?

Larry Bird Jr.

Cool! I think I'm going to pick it up out of sheer fascination and interest.

Time commitment isn't a huge deal and I love battle focused rpgs, so I'm sure there will be plenty to like. It also looks like a super unique and off the wall game, and I think that's what I'm in the mood for.

Thanks!

Sounds like you'll enjoy it then! Hope you love it, easily my favorite game series of all time and I hope you get a chance to check out the older games at some point as well.

Really great OT! Wasn't expecting it this soon. Only thing I'd say is listing all the side NPCs is a bit of a minor spoiler, for me. I know many don't care that much. It was easy to scroll past though.

I've been dark for basically a year and hadn't heard many of these features like the Confidant system, so I'm really psyched to play! Hopefully that will provide more replayability.

One burning question I have: is the All-Out Attack animation skippable? This was a weight on my soul in P3.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm definitely going to go for the Japanese voices, it's always my first choice. While the dubs for P3/P4 were great, I found myself surprised at how many great seiyuu were in the cast for the past 4 games when listening to Drama CDs or watching the anime/movies. I always ended up enjoying them much more, even though I did love the dubs. I'm sure this one won't be any different, but when you got Fukuyama Jun, Sugita Tomokazu, Miyano Mamoru, Otani Ikue, and Sato Rina in the main cast alone, you've sold me from moment one. I played FFXV in Japanese as well and Miyano's role as Ignis was as great as everything else he's done, so I'm looking forward to hearing more of him.

My copy's gonna take a while to get here, so I have some time to make a choice lol. Hopefully someone will have uploaded VA comparisons to youtube or something by then and that will make my choice easier.

I'm at the second dungeon 15 hours in, loving it so far. It's fundamentally not too different from P3 or P4, but they really managed to make it feel fresh. The writing is stepped up tremendously, too.

I named my protag Buffy Summers, so (minor early spoilers)
naming the group Scooby Gang only made sense. 😎

Excellent OT. Can't believe I have to wait until Tuesday. At least I have the rest of the week off after that. Enjoy all you early release getters.

Neoweee

Hmmm... Play now or wait for the new difficulty mode?

It comes out on the first day, rather than a month later like the JP version.

It also sounds like tedious BS.

Same as Hard mode, except...

- Money and EXP rates reduced (yay?)
- Crit/weakness damage is wildly amplified, so it is very frequently an instant kill against your party.

My copy's gonna take a while to get here, so I have some time to make a choice lol. Hopefully someone will have uploaded VA comparisons to youtube or something by then and that will make my choice easier.

You can even use the trailers for that, but I'm sure it might exist already. If not, just play 10 minutes in english, 10 minutes and Japanese and then decide. That's how I decided on Xenoblade dubbed, which might be one of the only exceptions I prefer dubbed haha.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fuck it's actually happening? Like I always say in every OT.

STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE!

Enjoy everyone who got it early. Theres someone on my PSN list who got it early and he must have played it 6+ hours straight.

I'll have to wait till Tuesday to pick up my Take Your Heart edition.

Really great OT! Wasn't expecting it this soon. Only thing I'd say is listing all the side NPCs is a bit of a minor spoiler, for me. I know many don't care that much. It was easy to scroll past though.

One burning question I have: is the All-Out Attack animation skippable? This was a weight on my soul in P3.

Thank you very much! I wouldn't worry about the side NPCs, knowing what they look like definitely won't ruin much for you.

Not sure about the AOA animation - someone whose played the game will probably be able to answer for you.

Excellent OT. Can't believe I have to wait until Tuesday. At least I have the rest of the week off after that. Enjoy all you early release getters.

Thank you very much - I seem to be in the same situation, unfortunately...

There are way too many games out right now I haven't even beaten nier automata yet. But persona 3/4 are some of my all time favorites so I gotta get this day 1. So excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom