• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably 4 more days for me until I get my copy. Cannot wait! Already warned my girlfriend that I will probably vanish from the earth until I finish it since we haven't been dating during a major Persona release. Bummer I still have a fulltime job to worry about inbetween. :p

ckohler

I AM SO HYPED!

jmOqBHi.gif

NastyBook

Twas to be my first Persona game played, but then Sony dropped the price on P4G the other day. My Vita deserved some love, though, so now I'll probably be paying P5 off today, whilst also trying to get my hands on a CE for Destiny 2.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well, it's about damn time after so many delays, lol.

Gonna have to force myself to not play too much on Tuesday, have a big test Wednesday (Amazon had better deliver on time, though).

Somewhat curious as to the inclusion of all the confidantes/party members in the OP, though. I know it's not a huge spoiler in relative terms, but does seem odd to include them wholesale for people who want to 'find them' on their own.

Especially for stuff like party members, considering their role in the story, and how someone might not otherwise know how a newly-introduced character might play a role.

Won't be able to play day 1 but I have my steelbook launch edition pre-ordered! Can't wait for a new Persona experience. P4G one of my all time favorites.

Voror

Got a notice from BB that my order had shipped though it hasn't been picked up by UPS yet. Not sure on my chances of getting it early. Never seem to get lucky on that.

Yeah, it seemed like a rather small list compared to what I was expecting, but I think I'm just overestimating how many S-Links were in Persona 4.
Yeah, same here. Didn't we have like different classmates/club S-links in Persona 4? Idk, you are probably right about us overestimating S-links in Persona 4.

Need recommendations

These are really long games but seem designed to need 2 playthroughs to see all the s-links, content and The best ending Without a guide. When I played Persona 3 back in the day I used a spoiler free guide that helped get all max links and good ending on the first playthrough. It was still a 100 hour game but I got the most out of it.

Now Persona 5 is rolling in, there's a spoiler free guide and I'm wondering if I use it again. There's too many other games out there for me to do 2 playthroughs and I don't want to spend 100 hours to then not get the true ending. But the guide will rob some of the free choice of the game.

Probably 4 more days for me until I get my copy. Cannot wait! Already warned my girlfriend that I will probably vanish from the earth until I finish it since we haven't been dating during a major Persona release. Bummer I still have a fulltime job to worry about inbetween. :p

Quit Your Job
Quit Your Life
Wake Up
Get Up
Get Out There

pablito

I got the game earlier this week, but seeing the OT still hyped me up. Been waiting to see it for a long time.

And I'm still hyped for Tuesday when everyone can get it.

Quit Your Job
Quit Your Life
Wake Up
Get Up
Get Out There

My Life Will Change starting April 4th to accommodate this game.

Edit: Also I've never used remote play despite owning two Vitas. How does it work? You just play the game on your vita within proximity of your PS4? Never really gelt the need to use it considering I have two PS4s and like 3 TVs in my apartment, but I've become more curious about it lately because people seem to like it a lot.

ChanMan

This is weird, I have had the game since Wednesday but I haven't had to urge to really dive into it until April 4th was is going on with me!

Can someone explain to me what this game is?

I have no history with the Persona series. I watched the giant bomb quick look and i'm not sure if I have any more understanding than i did before i watched.

The review thread looks very impressive. Is this just something I've been sleepin on?

What are other games it's comparable to?

I have no history with the Persona series. I watched the giant bomb quick look and i'm not sure if I have any more understanding than i did before i watched.

The review thread looks very impressive. Is this just something I've been sleepin on?

Story-heavy dungeon crawler japanese RPG dripping with styyyyyyyle

Mexen

My PS4 with the game will ship soon, hopefully. Cannot wait. I have lurked PersonaGAF and finally I will get a chance to actively participate in discussions.
I think it's time for an avatar update. Great OT.

They're dungeon crawling JRPGs, though this one has hand made dungeons rather than randomly generated ones like P3&P4 did. It's basically half dungeon RPG, half social simulator. You're a student in high school trying to keep your grades up and level stats that allow you to talk to more people, forming relationships with those people levels up your "Persona" which you use in battle to explore dungeons. Usually have a an emphasis on character development and thematics that are always great with fantastic music. Maybe somewhat similar to Mana Khemia? Trails of Cold Steel also has some Persona in it's DNA. It's also a spin off under the large umbrella of Megami Tensei games.

BizzyBum

Man, it's kinda surreal I'll finally be playing this game on Tuesday. It's been about 9 years since 4, talk about a wait!

Matsukaze

Turn-based JRPG that progresses its story along a one-year calendar system. It blends traditional turn-based dungeon combat with social simulator activities that further develop the bonds between the main character, other party members, and other major NPCs.

One of the big attractions is the emphasis placed on character interaction, character development, and thematic identity; Atlus really puts in work to make sure these are all top-level. They are easily stronger than your average fare. The series also uses real-world mythology as the basis of its primary combat mechanics (you create, recruit, and summon Personas to use in battle, which take the form of monsters, heroes, demons, and gods from the various mythologies of history).

It's honestly pretty different from any non-SMT games out there, so the comparisons don't come easily.

Story-heavy dungeon crawler japanese RPG dripping with styyyyyyyle

With school-sim/dating elements.

They're dungeon crawling JRPGs, though this one has hand made dungeons rather than randomly generated ones like P3&P4 did. It's basically half dungeon RPG, half social simulator. You're a student in high school trying to keep your grades up and level stats that allow you to talk to more people, forming relationships with those people levels up your "Persona" which you use in battle to explore dungeons. Usually have a an emphasis on character development and thematics that are always great with fantastic music. Maybe somewhat similar to Mana Khemia? Trails of Cold Steel also has some Persona in it's DNA. It's also a spin off under the large umbrella of Megami Tensei games.

Interesting. Thanks.

Sort of sounds like comparisons to other games might be tough. Sounds like it's a pretty unique thing. I don't have any experience at all with the Megami Tensei games either.

The style part was definitely the first thing I noticed watching the quick look. It sounds like it's a self contained story? So you don't really need the background from the previous games?

Turn-based JRPG that progresses its story along a one-year calendar system. It blends traditional turn-based dungeon combat with social simulator activities that further develop the bonds between the main character, other party members, and other major NPCs.

One of the big attractions is the emphasis placed on character interaction, character development, and thematic identity; Atlus really puts in work to make sure these are all top-level. They are easily stronger than your average fare. The series also uses real-world mythology as the basis of its primary combat mechanics (you create, recruit, and summon Personas to use in battle, which take the form of monsters, heroes, demons, and gods from the various mythologies of history).

It's honestly pretty different from any non-SMT games out there, so the comparisons don't come easily.

That part sounds particularly cool and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom