• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark XBLA | The Official Thread

feel

Playing this slowly, a level like every 2 days when I have the time. On Area 51 part 3 now, this whole mission has had a really cool MGS1 vibe to it. Fantastic game, I can only imagine what it must have been like playing this back then.

Cday

Banned
Letters said:
Playing this slowly, a level like every 2 days when I have the time. On Area 51 part 3 now, this whole mission has had a really cool MGS1 vibe to it. Fantastic game, I can only imagine what it must have been like playing this back then.

It was definitely one of the greatest games ever up until that point but had a lot of issues that I feel have been vindicated in this version. Such as the framerate, controls and the graphics overhaul is just icing. A lot of people would argue that the controls were better on the 64 version but personally if I ever play an FPS with a 64 controller again, it will be too soon.

Krakatoa

I am loving this game and it's bringing back some real good memories.

Also has anyone else started playing PDZ again after playing this? I still think it's one of the best online games for the 360.

edit...meant perfect dark zero.

CO_Andy

This game makes me wish there was a remake of PD in place of Conker. Maybe then Microsoft wouldn't of regret its decision in purchasing Nintendy's shares.

I really like Joanna's face in this one. Her N64 face was kinda rough (the original japanese one was leagues better).

geeko

I just won a free copy of PD off of the contest MSXBOX-WORLD was doing a couple weeks ago!! This is sooooo awesome, I wanted to buy PD but I didn't have enough money. I'm glad I didn't find some way to come up with the money. YAY FOR FREE GAMES!!

Yama

You know, this is an XBLA title done right. Actual game aside for a moment. From playing I've already earned two PD t-shirts (80mspts), Elvis avatar item (240mspts) and a Dynamic Theme (240mspts?). This is how items, clothes and themes should be unlocked. There is nothing wrong with having the option to buy things on the side, but the norm should be included in-game. Not to mention this isn't even a retail title, it's only 800mspts and includes all of these extras. Other devs should take note, it leaves a much more positive after taste for the money.

Yama said:
You know, this is an XBLA title done right. Actual game aside for a moment. From playing I've already earned two PD t-shirts (80mspts), Elvis avatar item (240mspts) and a Dynamic Theme (240mspts?). This is how items, clothes and themes should be unlocked. There is nothing wrong with having the option to buy things on the side, but the norm should be included in-game. Not to mention this isn't even a retail title, it's only 800mspts and includes all of these extras. Other devs should take note, it leaves a much more positive after taste for the money.

I agree. The awards thing has been on Live for a long time now, and PD is the first game that I actually earned something with. More devs need more unlockable rewards rather than just achievements.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Lionheart1827 said:
I agree. The awards thing has been on Live for a long time now, and PD is the first game that I actually earned something with. More devs need more unlockable rewards rather than just achievements.

I agree. I've only earned avatar stuff from ODST and Perfect Dark. Wish more games would do it.

InvincibleAgent said:
You like Joanna looking like a hooker? She doesn't look serious/determined/intelligent etc

All I see is DISTURBIA it's like the darkness is light DISTURBIA

Just finished God of War 3 and going to focus on finishing up Perfect Dark's single-player now. Then I'll jump into multiplayer. I have no idea what I'm getting into.

CO_Andy

InvincibleAgent said:
You like Joanna looking like a hooker? She doesn't look serious/determined/intelligent etc
She looks a lot more closer to the original N64 render, to me at least. Same with the original Japan face texture -->

f4e69f.jpg

Scrawling the net for shots of Jo's face i came across Daniel Carrington's face in PDZ (which i've never seen :lol) -->

ezfv4l.jpg

Milpool

CO_Andy said:
Scrawling the net for shots of Jo's face i came across Daniel Carrington's face in PDZ (which i've never seen :lol) -->

ezfv4l.jpg

:( Kill it.

Challenge 26 is really making me want to cry, do they get 2 points per capture if they're both in the zone? I can almost do it if I get a hold of dual Maulers, since they die in one hit when charged most of the time.

Cday

Banned
Milpool said:
:( Kill it.

Challenge 26 is really making me want to cry, do they get 2 points per capture if they're both in the zone? I can almost do it if I get a hold of dual Maulers, since they die in one hit when charged most of the time.

That's the way to do it although a lot of it relies on luck (where the hill is). Sometimes they spawn right on it and sometimes it will pop up right next to you after capture it. It's bullshit how they have 95% headshot accuracy while running with Reapers though.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Letters said:
Fantastic game, I can only imagine what it must have been like playing this back then.

When I played it when it first came out I thought it was fantastic then, loved the getaway in Mission 4.3 :D The reason why I preferred PD over GE was because of the story. In GE I knew what the story was already so it was nothing new, but PD took all sorts of twists and turns.

Danthrax said:
I agree. I've only earned avatar stuff from ODST and Perfect Dark. Wish more games would do it.

LFD2, 'splosion Man and Toy Soldiers have stuff. I've only unlocked Toy Soldiers gas mask though.

CO_Andy said:
Ew at both. :s

How do I change themes on the 360? I always forget! Ugh. Is the unlockable theme the nighttime dataDyne backdrop city one? I have that one and if that's the one you unlock I wont waste my time looking for it.

So, what's everyone's favorite level?

I've always loved the Carrington Institute level. It's like as badass as the rest of the game, rolled into 1 level.

"Get the guns back online! Hurry!"
"The Skedar have taken hostages! Get up to the offices, and save them!"
"Damn it, my office! If they get access... Get there first, Jo, and destroy the files!"
"Things are getting desparate. They've planted a bomb. Find it and get it out of the building!"

I just... Cared more about my success in that level compared to the others. I cared about the place, the people, etc.

N4Us

My favorites (in combat) are Pipes, Area 52 and G5 Building.

They almost never pop up on live matches, though. Stupid felicity.

Gong

NemesisPrime said:
With an Avatar like that, I don't think MS will team up with you in the future.

You could be right, best make the most of the competition incase we don`t have any in the near future :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
N4Us said:
My favorites (in combat) are Pipes, Area 52 and G5 Building.

They almost never pop up on live matches, though. Stupid felicity.

Area 52 is the best damn level in the game. Love it.

[edit] But then I remember Complex is in PD... hmm... I dunno. Complex and Area 52 are my top two but I'm not sure which I like more.

evilgreg

Neo Member
So my plan is to finish this amazing game, then go buy PDZ from on demand. I've never played it before because of bad reviews but damn this game has reminded me why I love Perfect Dark so much.

Do you guys think I should bother with PDZ or is it a waste of money ?

Xav

evilgreg said:
So my plan is to finish this amazing game, then go buy PDZ from on demand. I've never played it before because of bad reviews but damn this game has reminded me why I love Perfect Dark so much.

Waste of money, Perfect Dark Zero is one of the worst sequels I have ever played.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Xav said:
Waste of money, Perfect Dark Zero is one of the worst sequels I have ever played.
But, but...it's a prequel!

And i know it's supposed to be bad, but isn't that kind of the charm of PD? Like in PD1 the weird enemy voices and faces, the awesomely bad death animations, the lines like "why...me!"

Also, replaying PD1, the level designs are confusing too, like the objectives aren't specifically laid out for you (especially in Area 51 - Infiltration), and wasn't that a huge complaint about PDZ?

I've always felt that the hate for PDZ was ridiculous. The multiplayer is awesome. Especially the dark-ops modes. Great net code with host migration, something that most games even now 4 years later don't have. The weapons are really nice too with great reload animations.

Yeah sure it had terrible art direction, and I suspect that many people hate it because of the controls being stiff. The campaign wasn't exactly great either, but it definitely had its moments, and it was fun in co-op. The last boss is a complete joke though (not that the last boss in PD was great either...).

But to recommend it today? I'm not sure... Don't get it on Games on Demand. Try finding it used at a Gamestop/ebay/whatever instead.

Krakatoa

See if you can pick it up cheap second hand somewhere. I really enjoyed playing, Yes it's cheesey but it has coop. Also the online is still one of the best games out on the 360. Especially Dark Ops :)

evilgreg

Neo Member
AndyMoogle said:
I've always felt that the hate for PDZ was ridiculous. The multiplayer is awesome. Especially the dark-ops modes. Great net code with host migration, something that most games even now 4 years later don't have. The weapons are really nice too with great reload animations.

Yeah sure it had terrible art direction, and I suspect that many people hate it because of the controls being stiff. The campaign wasn't exactly great either, but it definitely had its moments, and it was fun in co-op. The last boss is a complete joke though (not that the last boss in PD was great either...).

But to recommend it today? I'm not sure... Don't get it on Games on Demand. Try finding it used at a Gamestop/ebay/whatever instead.
So for my game purchase of the month, should I get PDZ, or FFXIII:p Is it bad that I'm seriously considering PDZ?

edit: People keep mentioning the online, do people still play it/is it possible to find games to join?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
If you have the levels memorized, almost all those are obtainable in an hour or two. 90% of them you don't even have to finish the level.

The Co-op ones are the hardest as you have to get two compitent people on the same page.

grkazan12

This game has everything that I had hoped for, reminds me of the days when me and my friends would have tournaments. Although it's not a huge problem,my only problem would have to be Counter-Op over live,Is anyone else having major lag issues with it?. So will Goldeneye XBLA or even Goldeneye on Virtual Console basically never happen or will it always stay in this limbo state.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
grkazan12 said:
Although it's not a huge problem,my only problem would have to be Counter-Op over live,Is anyone else having major lag issues with it?.

Yup and whats worse is my mate who I played with only lives around the corner from me. Every other game across all formats we've played has been fine but just this mode seems to cause a problem. Multiplayer with each other is fine, even filled with bots. Shame about Counter Op.

Milpool

Cday said:
That's the way to do it although a lot of it relies on luck (where the hill is). Sometimes they spawn right on it and sometimes it will pop up right next to you after capture it. It's bullshit how they have 95% headshot accuracy while running with Reapers though.

I'd like to say my skill improved to a point where I could beat it, but you're right it's luck. I got an 8-0 lead due to capture point placement and the other team being morons for the first half of the round. They kept capturing points and then leaving before the timer ended, towards the end they managed to catch up 8-6 just before the time was up. Challenge 27 was a joke compared, did it first try. Challenge 28 is a nightmare, I enlisted a friend to help me which just made it harder since it added another to their team.

notsol337

marked forever
evilgreg said:
So for my game purchase of the month, should I get PDZ, or FFXIII:p Is it bad that I'm seriously considering PDZ?

edit: People keep mentioning the online, do people still play it/is it possible to find games to join?

Get them both. PDZ is listed as 5 bucks used at gamestop.

Xapati

What the hell? I tried to access the training simulations in the carrington institute, but no matter how much I mashed A in front of the terminals, nothing happened. Do you have to unlock these?

Xapati said:
What the hell? I tried to access the training simulations in the carrington institute, but no matter how much I mashed A in front of the terminals, nothing happened. Do you have to unlock these?
Have you let Daniel walk you through the institute yet?

evilgreg said:

If you plan on getting PDZ, you shouldn't buy the XBox Live version, just get a retail copy, the game is dirty cheap on the second hand market. You can easily find it for $5 on ebay or at your local store.

Am I crazy for hoping PD2 uses a modified version of this engine/gameplay assets(for lack of better term)? It's probably the only way they wouldn't mess it up I think...I mean CoD2, 4, MW2, WaW are all running on a modified Quake 3 engine so I can't be that crazy! :lol

Top Bottom