• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark XBLA | The Official Thread

APZonerunner said:
Cleverly, your PDZ save has to pre-date your PD save and download date. So if you put the PDZ disc in and created a save just to get the cheats you have to delete your save and redownload the game for PD or do without.

I had a save back from 2005, so that wasn't an issue for me. But just in case, that's worth stating. If not, double check the menus. It doesn't TELL you they're unlocked, they're just unlocked.
Son of a--

..thanks

nightez said:
I honestly don't think its much of a problem the brain can learn to adjust. I also had that problem migrating from the N64 era where aiming was done on the left stick and movement on the right hand side. It really pissed me off me on alot of games but I learned to use it. Honestly you can learn the new setup within an hour if you really tried.

I shouldn't have to adjust to a new setup. The shitty control options in this new Perfect Dark remind me of Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the Game Cube. (In that game, the jump and shoot buttons were swapped from how they were on the NES.) A lot of people didn't think that was was problem either but, as someone who played through the Mega Man games extensively, it really bothered me. I still made my way through the game(s), but I never really felt comfortable playing them and prefer the original versions.

Likewise, I've played the original Perfect Dark for a lot longer than most people. I still play the N64 game. I can play the game on the 360 and I've already finished it on the easier difficulty settings, but I simply don't feel comfortable playing the game. I've been playing GoldenEye since 1997 and have used a similar control scheme for basically every FPS I've played since then. It's going to take me over a decade before I'm as comfortable using the one of the control schemes from the Perfect Dark remake. Removing basic control options from the game was downright lazy on the part of the developers. After all the time I've put into Perfect Dark, there is no reason why I should feel uncomfortable playing the remake.

mokeyjoe said:
Is Citizen Kane less of groundbreaking piece of work because the acting and cinematography look dated by today standards and it's 'too slow' for many modern filmgoers? Is it purely nostalgia that leads to appreciation of that film? Or is because it was years ahead of its time and has a depth and pathos that many modern films have seem to have forgotten how to employ.

Woah there, those things are not dated. The cinematography is better than most films out today, and the the acting especially from Welles and Cotten is excellent.

What is it about the base control scheme that is weird for people? Admittedly I haven't played PD64 for 4-5 years, but I picked this up and starting playing without a problem. I guess the x-y sensitivity could be adjusted but otherwise I have no trouble playing at all. Is it just that people really haven't played an FPS in the last 8 years?

jibblypop

Banned
GitarooMan said:
Is it just that people really haven't played an FPS in the last 8 years?

I haven't really enjoyed a FPS since Perfect Dark but I am not really having problems with the new controls here.
My brother on the other hand won't touch this remake because it doesn't control EXACTLY the same as the original.

So I guess this is a common thing happening to people that liked the old game but aren't usually into FPS games.

Just chiming in to say that nostalgia tastes sweet. :) I'm thoroughly enjoying Perfect Dark again, and the more age-y stuff ( like the faces with no expression or lip-movement ) just makes me smile.

800 MSpoints well spent, eh?

scarybore

GitarooMan said:
What is it about the base control scheme that is weird for people? Admittedly I haven't played PD64 for 4-5 years, but I picked this up and starting playing without a problem. I guess the x-y sensitivity could be adjusted but otherwise I have no trouble playing at all. Is it just that people really haven't played an FPS in the last 8 years?

I might be wrong but I think they want the Turok controls which is basically Halo's twin stick standard mirrored, so look/turn in all directions on the left stick and with movement (backwards/forwards and strafing) on the right stick.

Personally I never knew anyone who played that way, but I sympathise since I had to wean myself off the standard GoldenEye/Perfect Dark controls when I played Condemned on the 360 and it wasn't an option. Hopefully it can be patched in.

Dan Yo

Banned
DieNgamers said:
I love those surprises. :lol When you replay it and listen to his voice: "allow me to assist you... *eviltone*" it all makes sense. :lol
Well I was speaking more about the first mission, where the guy gives no indication that he is going to make you fail the mission if you don't knock him out immediately after he logs in.

Sew

Finally I can report from the front. I'll skip all the gushing (Perfect Dark best ever still stands today etc etc) and get to the two important bits.

Online play: Brilliant. The amount of fun I had last night was ridiculous. It was so close to that feeling of the old days, with a few mates in your loungeroom deathmatching it up before a night on the sauce. Or a smokey night in. It's simple, it's funny, it's fun. [edit] Nice matchmaking too, important when you're in Aus. I had no lag issues.

Controls: I'm torn here. They're much like any other console FPS which makes them perfectly useable, but the thing that made GE/PD stand out from the crowd - even today - was the control scheme. Strafe run was the backbone of character movement back in the day, now trying to do it is a mushy mess. What the hell, guys?

Please (please) patch this with some more versatile control options. Move/turn on the left stick, strafe/look on the right. Even if you tried this and it sucked, please let us judge it for ourselves.

Bunny

cjelly said:
If there a list of cheats/unlocks and how to get them?

It's probably in the game somewhere, but I find the menus so confusing.

i'm wondering this too, but haven't found anything. also, i'm glad i'm not the only one who finds the menus awkward.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Am i missing something?

Trying to make a custom game, with custom weapons and I don't see the slayer rocket launcher listed....

nightez

Banned
When you switch off auto aim. You notice there's a huge ass dead zone in the aiming controls, your aim doesn't move at all with slight movements of the stick. Its not easy to make slight adjustments to you aim.

Peff

nightez said:
Does PDZ play anything like this game?

It plays similarly but even though it is objective based the objectives are more linear and the aiming is a bit off, plus it's not nearly as tight as the original in settings and story... Still, it should be easy to find cheap and the multiplayer was amazing, not sure how many people are still playing it though :lol

I wish you could choose one-shot kills for live quick matches. That was always my favorite way to play in Goldeneye.

Also have yet to get used to not starting with any sort of weapon.

nightez said:
Does PDZ play anything like this game?

The Same:
  • Weapon Design - many weapons return and secondary fire is a vital feature on almost all of them. Some of the secondaries are vastly improved, too - Threat Detector in PDZ is absolutely amazing.
  • Objective-based gameplay, much like PD. Dumbed down a tad, but still as unforgiving as the original
  • Same for all multiplayer, really - spirit of Goldeneye - but sadly the "Halo Age" of shooters inspires the introduction of a few shitty vehicles which can be turned off, thank god.
  • Old-school shooter stuff; no jump and other things. Has a cover mechanic though.
  • Campaign Co-op

Not the Same:
  • Controls much like many other shooters these days
  • Dark Ops Mode in multiplayer, which is awesome. Mission-based, earning cash/buying weapons like CounterStrike, super fun.
  • Abomination of a story (but the ideas are pretty cool and set up PD alright; just badly executed)
  • Horrible art design.

All in all, the game has a ton in common with PD. In fact, it's the archaic PD elements in its design that hold it back, I think. Rare tried to find a middle ground, but the result was that the game is messy in areas. Hopefully they go back to the drawing board and find that middle ground a little better next time.

Milpool

Sew said:
...Controls: I'm torn here. They're much like any other console FPS which makes them perfectly useable, but the thing that made GE/PD stand out from the crowd - even today - was the control scheme. Strafe run was the backbone of character movement back in the day, now trying to do it is a mushy mess. What the hell, guys?...

When I first downloaded it I would be agreeing with you, but 2 days later and I'm zipping all over the place. It would still be nice if they added it to please the purists, I guess I'm lucky that alternate control schemes are about a 10 second adjustment period for me, the only thing I changed was inverting the axis.

Stalfos

cjelly said:
If there a list of cheats/unlocks and how to get them?

It's probably in the game somewhere, but I find the menus so confusing.
Same menu where you enable cheats. Go over one you haven't unlocked and the requirements will scroll at the bottom.

Oh, and PDZ doesn't let you carry a bazillion weapons. It has one of the best weapon systems I think I've seen, though. The gist is that you have four weapon slots on your person, but different weapons take up different amounts of space on your person. So, for example, pistols only take one slot, Assault rifles generally take two, and heavy weapons generally three.

This means you can carry Four Pistols or two assault rifles. Or you could carry an Assault Rifle, a Pistol and Proxy Mines. If you wanted to carry something uber powerful like the Shockwave (think balanced Farsight), Sniper Rifle or Rocket Launcher they took up three slots, meaning you could only carry one pistol or some grenades or something.

It was a great system and it led to some pretty cool balance rather than people just hoarding all the power weapons. The only unbalanced weapon in PDZ really is the SuperDragon as it's grenades are just ridiculous.

That's a great, clever system and one more shooters should use.

It's a fun game, though. It has a metacritic of 81 and I'd say that's a fair area for it to be in. Time has been crueller to it than it deserved, I think. The multiplayer is still fantastic to this day - and 32 players! Not many games manage that these days, even Battlefield is only 28 or so (MAG aside.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When you switch off auto aim. You notice there's a huge ass dead zone in the aiming controls, your aim doesn't move at all with slight movements of the stick. Its not easy to make slight adjustments to you aim.

I haven't really noticed it, but I'm glad I turned it off.
I finally got to jump back into the campaign today, I turned off auto aim and it's sooo much better. Before, when I had it on, it was nearly impossible to pull off a head shot but now I pretty much exclusively put my bullets into the enemies domes. Also, it just made it too easy because you could just run and gun and take down all of the bad guys without having to direct your shots.

REV 09 said:
Playing this makes me surprised that people hated on PDZ so much. Sure PDZ is somewhat janky and odd compared to the Halo's and COD's, but now I know why...Rare really kept the feel of many things PD in PDZ instead of making PDZ more current like a Halo or COD.

I didn't expand on this in my previous post, but I find playing PD again has helped clarify some of the issues with the sequel. Zero does a few things differently that radically alters the PD experience. So I'll expand.

The main things I see are that the levels are bigger and more straightforward in Zero, which does make it more like modern shooters in relation to PD. This occured to me while playing through Crash Site in PD. It's a small level, and you can proceed through it in a couple different significant ways. You basically start in the middle and move outwards in whatever direction you want. There are no checkpoints, no linear sense of beginning and end (the level ends when you complete the last of your objectives, not when you reach a destination), and objectives can even be completed in a non-linear fashion (I like to get Elvis protecting the president before I go into the caves for the clone, though there are faster ways to accomplish the same goals). There's nothing like this level in the sequel. Perfect Dark Zero does not have a level analogous to Crash Site.

This goes back to the element of freedom and player choice some of us have been discussing. PD does it well because the levels are small, which is my major point. The scope in Zero is larger and loses sight of some of these elements of design. It does still resemble PD in a number of ways, of course, such as the dynamic objectives in difficulty levels, and it retains a certain degree of choice - I remember there being a couple ways, stealh or aggression, through the Hong Kong club level, for example. But every level has a clear beginning and end, a sense of progression. The game is designed to move you through checkpoints. The game even has autosave checkpoints! Zero often feels more like you're being pushed through a shooting gallery. The game also has boss encounter scenarios throughout, like the cowboy assassins, or the flying ship on Rooftops. When you factor in the removal of checkpoints on increased difficulty levels with the overall increase in scope, levels that are larger and last longer (even though the amount of objectives per level is not much different than PD), it starts to feel like a drag.

Imagine: With Zero, a mission like the Area 51 infliltration and escape would be a single level with primary and secondary objectives, and a checkpoint in the middle (removed on Dark Agent). That it's explicitly split into different stages in PD, even though sections of the first level carry over to the next, is important in terms of the game's pacing and how the player experiences the game.

I don't hate Perfect Dark Zero. I did enjoy aspects of it upon release. But it's not Perfect Dark; that game is its own beast, and I don't think Rare is going to make another game like it.

mokeyjoe

VistraNorrez said:
Woah there, those things are not dated. The cinematography is better than most films out today, and the the acting especially from Welles and Cotten is excellent.

That was sort of my point - that 'dated' does not equal bad. It obviously doesn't look like a film from 2010, it looks like a film from the 40s. But that's not a bad thing.

People look at games and unless it looks and feels just like something new then it's a bad thing - when it may have great merits which are too easily dismissed. Less cineliterate people do the same thing with films.

so the only way i can matchmake with my friends is if they are sitting on the couch with me?

you can either do a private match with your friends or you can do a public search alone. no carrying a party into team gametypes or anything? goodbye longevity

Narpas Sword0 said:
so the only way i can matchmake with my friends is if they are sitting on the couch with me?

you can either do a private match with your friends or you can do a public search alone. no carrying a party into team gametypes or anything? goodbye longevity
Yeah it's fucking dumb, the only way is to tell your friend to search at the exact same time as you.

For a fun game mode, put on cloaks, knives, xray and maybe crossbows. Basically becomes predator mode. One slash to the back is insta-kill. Xrays not mandatory but its fun tracking them through walls especially if radars off. Makes setting up a sneak attack easier. With cloaks you become unstoppable. Really fun among friends.

VistraNorrez said:
I think he believes cinematography = presence or absence of color :lol

And he's probably one of these kids that thinks acting like a modern american (dumbass) = good acting :lol

mokeyjoe

InvincibleAgent said:
I think he believes cinematography = presence or absence of color :lol

And he's probably one of these kids that thinks acting like a modern american (dumbass) = good acting :lol

Don't be an idiot.

At least read my sodding posts before acting like a smartass.

Yes, Perfect Dark shows its age. But so do many movies. Is Citizen Kane less of groundbreaking piece of work because the acting and cinematography look dated by today standards and it's 'too slow' for many modern filmgoers? Is it purely nostalgia that leads to appreciation of that film? Or is because it was years ahead of its time and has a depth and pathos that many modern films have seem to have forgotten how to employ.

And if that was a little unclear then I went on to clarify.

That was sort of my point - that 'dated' does not equal bad. It obviously doesn't look like a film from 2010, it looks like a film from the 40s. But that's not a bad thing.

People look at games and unless it looks and feels just like something new then it's a bad thing - when it may have great merits which are too easily dismissed. Less cineliterate people do the same thing with films.

I love Citizen Kane, and many of my favourite films are of that era and before, right back to silent classics like Metropolis and The Kid. And I was comparing people who write off films solely because they're old to people who write off games for the same reason.

But then you're probably just one of those 'kids' who thinks that firing off sarcastic remarks without taking time to comprehend the argument is the height of wit. lol smiley etc

Still having a ton of fun with this game, I'm really hoping that they decide to port some other old N64 games to XBLA arcade now. I will probably be spending a lot of time with the multiplayer while I wait for some games to come out, if anybody wants to play a few games together let me know.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
so what exactly does the crackdown and pdz save files unlock?

Curious about this myself.

BTW current multiplayer character is the old dude (Molyneux?) with Joanna's ripped Chinese dress. I am never changing this character.

I am loving this game. Everything that was awesome about it back on the 64 still holds up. The animations are great, and so funny at times. :lol

I just really would like to see a sequel with this formula in mind. This game is a blast and we need another follow up.

CO_Andy

Just noticed one of the computers in the institute has the entire plot of the game spoiled (along with every character bio) well before i've even beaten the game.

Tried 4-player matches this weekend, and the game still freezes for a second whenever another player approaches...so frustrating (and unplayable)!

Loving single-player.

Been playing the game quite abit over the couple days. First game in a long time I've bought for my 360..

Loving the nostalgia so far. No issues with the new controls. On xbox live some matches are great, while others have been full of lag or ending prematurely due to the host leaving.

This game is easily way better then 95% of the current gen crap that's out there and is a dream come true... Been always wanted an online version of the orginal Perfect Dark.

Anybody who wants to give some challenges a go sometime, feel free to add me to your friends list.

Gamertag - Zastava

Milpool

Oh man, Carrington Institute on Perfect Agent is kicking my ass. Can't remember if I ever managed it in the original.

I unlocked the fists of fury cheat earlier, it's hilarious. Can it be enabled in multiplayer?

Milpool

InvincibleAgent said:
Which objective? Hostages?

No objectives in particular, hostages are easy even without the combat boost. Just the somewhat random guard placement, really gotta be on your toes. Plus the 100 Mr Blondes hanging around after disabling the bomb are the especially annoying, especially with no RCP-120 ammo.

As soon as you get that gun, use its cloaking device to run to the ship. That's what I did back in the day, and it worked perfectly. Just don't use it to fight.

After you disable the bomb, you should just be able to run straight to the exit, which is only a few feet away. When I did that last stretch, I didn't even run into one enemy.

Milpool

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
As soon as you get that gun, use its cloaking device to run to the ship. That's what I did back in the day, and it worked perfectly. Just don't use it to fight.

After you disable the bomb, you should just be able to run straight to the exit, which is only a few feet away. When I did that last stretch, I didn't even run into one enemy.

Yeah that's what I usually do but on Perfect Agent you have to destroy something in Carrington's safe too so I do that first, I just managed to do it by hanging about on the top floor for a while so all the Mr Blondes congregated in the lift so I could easily stealth past, then I took the long way back to the ship after disabling the bomb.

If you get the grenade launcher from Grimshaw, it's actually possible to shoot a grenade OVER YOUR ROOM and into Carrington's via his ceiling, destroying the files, without ever going in :lol

Top Bottom