• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark XBLA | The Official Thread

Cday said:
Man do people just like TK'ing or do a lot of people just not know what they're doing..

I think it's cause you don't get to pick your game type so people don't pay attention after choosing "any".

Cday

Banned
Thing is you have to either choose Solo or Team. I'm pretty sure it defaults to Solo and you have to choose Team if you want it.

Cday

Banned
Just Solo and Team. Any is under "Match Preference".

Also they really need to turn friendly fire off as a lot of people can't restrain themselves from doing things like running through the level firing the Reaper continuously or firing rockets at dead bodies next to teammates.

Wolffen

I looked through the last 20 pages or so and didn't see this mentioned, but where the hell did the Handicap option in the Game Settings of the Combat Simulator go? You used to be able to set a a health handicap per human on the N64 version. So if you finally convinced your wife to play the game with you and do humans vs sims, for example, you could boost her health up so she doesn't get near instantly killed by a sim with a laptop gun. (Luckily my wife played the game so much years ago that she's trooping through just fine and getting plenty of kills, but she misses the extra health. It'd be nice for getting some non-gaming friends to give the game a try as well, though).

Is the handicap option still available somewhere, or am I missing it?

I also seem to remember that when you died in the combat simulator, your weapons "remembered" what fire mode you last selected for them. So if you had the Phoenix set for explosive rounds, died, then picked up a new Phoenix, it was already set to explosive rounds. Am I remembering this wrong?

Overall, I've been pretty happy with the translation/remake, but there are several areas they obviously didn't fully translate, or tweaked in bad ways.

Wolffen said:
I looked through the last 20 pages or so and didn't see this mentioned, but where the hell did the Handicap option in the Game Settings of the Combat Simulator go? You used to be able to set a a health handicap per human on the N64 version. So if you finally convinced your wife to play the game with you and do humans vs sims, for example, you could boost her health up so she doesn't get near instantly killed by a sim with a laptop gun. (Luckily my wife played the game so much years ago that she's trooping through just fine and getting plenty of kills, but she misses the extra health. It'd be nice for getting some non-gaming friends to give the game a try as well, though).

Is the handicap option still available somewhere, or am I missing it?

I also seem to remember that when you died in the combat simulator, your weapons "remembered" what fire mode you last selected for them. So if you had the Phoenix set for explosive rounds, died, then picked up a new Phoenix, it was already set to explosive rounds. Am I remembering this wrong?

Overall, I've been pretty happy with the translation/remake, but there are several areas they obviously didn't fully translate, or tweaked in bad ways.

Man, I'm still trying to get the lady-friend up to speed with the dual-stick controls. She's fine with the single stick but still has problems with dual sticks. Ah well.

kylej

Banned
Fuck me. I beat the original on Perfect Agent multiple times and had Gold in almost every weapon test. I've tried the first level on Perfect Agent like 10 times and haven't beaten it yet. This is ugly.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
goddamn trying to get pugilist as an available bot for co-op is freakin hard. anyone know an easier way/strategy to complete it on or under 6:30

Sew

2 Minutes Turkish said:
How can it be though.

In the glitch videos which pertain t the 64 version, the door is open.

On 360, that door is closed so how do they do it?
Good question actually. But I presume that if the glitch works in the new version, they've done it deliberatey for old time's sake - which means they could do it however they wanted. I know what I'll be doing after work today.

Info on the N64 glitch for those interested: http://speedrunwiki.com/Defection_glitch

The door is open when the guard goes through it. Learn when to end the cutscene.

Also, it can be done by landing on the guard's head, though I've never succeeded at this method.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
2 Minutes Turkish said:
How can it be though.

Time moves during the cutscenes.

If you hit A right away the guy with be outside the door. If you wait until after the movie he will be inside. If you do it at the exact time the guy in the video does it, it will be perfect.

If you want to see this work in motion, check out the first Area 51 stage. When you are watching a "recorded" cam footage notice the guard walking at the start. You can end the scene and he will be in the place it was in the movie.

Sew

Heh, I'm learning heaps from you guys. :) I wasn't much of a geek back in the day TBH. I played the games but knew nothing of glitches.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
2 Minutes Turkish said:
How can it be though.

Go down, open the door, close it from the inside then open it again, then quit and restart. Said door will be open outwards on the restart.

Finally managed to unlock the Skedar Theme. Didn't realize that you have to kill with the fly-by wire rocket as well, not just the regular Slayer rocket.

Cday

Banned
Leaderboard says someone beat Chicago Stealth (Special Agent) in under 30 seconds. I wonder what kind of crazy shortcut it takes to do that.

Oreoleo

DieNgamers said:
How can that be possible considering you have to hack that taxi for so long...not to mention the other objectives. :O

What takes so long is the taxi doesn't move until the sentry robot is in a very specific place (for the explosion to happen). If you were fast enough about it and timed it right you could probably reprogram the taxi and have the objective completed in about 10 seconds.

Grabbing the briefcase is only a matter of sprinting there, and you can plant the remote mine from the ground level while waiting for the taxi to explode. I can see how 30 seconds would be plausible.

Cday

Banned
This guy doesn't mess with the Taxi at all. He finds a bombspy and blows it up near the elevator .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5lOLx9E3o

I just checked and you have to use the barrels to blow up the dumpster and there's a bombspy in it :O Never knew that.

Edit: beat it in 59 seconds with that trick which is a full minute lower than my previous time.

Marvie_3

Banned
Cday said:
This guy doesn't mess with the Taxi at all. He finds a bombspy and blows it up near the elevator .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5lOLx9E3o

I just checked and you have to use the barrels to blow up the dumpster and there's a bombspy in it :O Never knew that.

Edit: beat it in 59 seconds with that trick which is a full minute lower than my previous time.
Holy shit. Gonna have to try that when i get home.

N4Us

lol, was playing in complex and when i walked up a step everything suddenly went dark and i fell through the ground to my death.

missed this crazy game.

I've just been playing the single-player so far and I have to say that I'm impressed. I missed the original but it has a lot of stuff ahead of it's time like limb specific damage and bullet holes where you shoot your enemies. Also makes me realize how linear a lot of games are these days. Isn't necessarily bad but it's cool for some variety. The gadgets are also cool. Don't see much of that these days either. Makes me want to see Perfect Dark get another chance. I have a feeling it might on Natal.

FAIL - this version doesn't feature the alternate title screen after you've completed it. Presumably this is because it doesn't load your saved game until you're into the menus. Incidentally, does the save seem to take a long time to load? It's a tiny 64k file!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Dr Zhivago said:
FAIL - this version doesn't feature the alternate title screen after you've completed it.

darthvadernoooo.jpeg

Milpool

salva said:
Only 3 more levels to beat it in perfect agent. It really Is frustrating

I finished it last night, I don't think I managed to in the original since
I don't remember unlocking the Perfect Dark settings, or the bonus mission "War".
Currently very stuck on challenge 26, had a go at challenge 29 and lost 10-7.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Anybody want to help me get the crown on Air Force 1?

randoms online suck to much, and my friend is too incompetent with dual stick FPS controls to be the mine planter.

If there are people who would like to complete challenges with me (just to get stars for 2-3-4 players), feel free to pm me or add me. My GT is InternHertz.

Of course, for every star I get, I'll help you get it as well.
It's really a shame not everyone get the stars for the challenges :/

Man, I can't even beat Challenge 20. You and a crappy A.I. sim against a better A.I. sim in the Sewers. The bastard kills me the INSTANT I go around a corner.

In the original, you could give your teammate sims different commands, such as "follow" and the like. Is that possible here, as I can't seem to find a way.

This game is pretty great. Taking N64 level graphics to the max with insane resolution, frame rate, and textures (and some polygonal improvement too) looks like a dream. It's pretty much the type of graphical progression I like to see, as opposed to games with 30 million polygon characters playing at 600p and 30fps.

There are some disappointments, though. Like, the old head lineup is gone. No more "Tuxedo Miyamoto" versus "1998 Cassamassina in a dress". Also, even though the standard control scheme is called Classic, it's not at all like the default control scheme Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had back in the day. Nor are any of the other options like it.
GitarooMan said:
What is it about the base control scheme that is weird for people? Admittedly I haven't played PD64 for 4-5 years, but I picked this up and starting playing without a problem. I guess the x-y sensitivity could be adjusted but otherwise I have no trouble playing at all. Is it just that people really haven't played an FPS in the last 8 years?
The default in GE and PD was that the left stick would control turning as well as forward movement, with the C buttons doing strafing and up/down look. Since that was the default on those games and what I got used to, it's also how I set up the Time Splitters games, with the second analog stick taking the place of the C buttons. When I've played emulated Goldeneye with an X360 pad, that's also the control setup I've used. Not a big FPS player, so past those the little I've played has been wiimote-based.

I actually find it interesting to come in this thread and see so many agreeing with me--I figured I would be one of the few guys with an X360 who'd want to buy a Perfect Dark remake and didn't already have a dozen first-person shooters for the machine.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Ben2749 said:
In the original, you could give your teammate sims different commands, such as "follow" and the like. Is that possible here, as I can't seem to find a way.

Hold down the left bumper. While holding, tap the right trigger. This will cycle to a screen that lets you select the function for your current weapon. Another tap brings you to the simulant command menu.

Jackano

One thing that bother me over the live, is that an incredible amount of setups are Goldeneye maps with Goldeneye guns. Ok guys, it's a good game, but Perfect Dark have more than that to offer, so let it go and create something more random!

Milpool

Ben2749 said:

Oh man I totally forgot about that, just had a quick go and you hold the left button and press the right trigger to cycle through other spider menus. That knowledge could have been helpful cause that challenge was a nightmare, saying that my crappy sim got the last kill...

Top Bottom