• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark XBLA | The Official Thread

Dries

nightez said:
I love this old school gaming. You really have to learn the levels and all the enemy positions to succeed.

To me this formula feels ''better'' than the CoD style gaming of modern day FPS'. Now Call of Duty feels old school to me after playing Perfect Dark.

Nemesis_

The crowns system is a very nice addition. I'm resisting the urge to actually check what I have to go to earn them, and instead playing guesswork based on the icons themselves. =P

PD is still one of those "different" FPS games. I'm not a huge fan of the genre anymore, but I am fairly certain no other games allow players to work out ways to complete missions faster. I remember the whole GE/PD thing being such a sub culture back in the day, people taking photos of their fastest times and posting them up.

The only thing I can think of these days is the level in COD4 where you get Mile High Club.

It really is still quite an amazing game.

Dries said:
To me this formula feels ''better'' than the CoD style gaming of modern day FPS'. Now Call of Duty feels old school to me after playing Perfect Dark.
It's not exactly a secret that Call of Duty relies on old school level and gameplay design with scripted events slapped on top. Run forward killing everything you see and sometimes a scripted event will kick in and you'll probably end up on the ground in a daze with your ears ringing.

Sanic

Gomu Gomu said:

Call of Duty isn't exactley a giant leap forward beyond game mechanics, i'm not sure what you're laughing about. I see no reason to be suprised that someone finds Perfect Dark to be a fresh experience if they only ever play modern shooters all the time.

Anyway, in Chicago:Stealth,
how can I blow up the car? I need to move that civilian out of the way.

mokeyjoe

AndyMoogle said:
It's not exactly a secret that Call of Duty relies on old school level and gameplay design with scripted events slapped on top. Run forward killing everything you see and sometimes a scripted event will kick in and you'll probably end up on the ground in a daze with your ears ringing.

Yeah, come to think of it it's little more than shiny Doom, but more linear. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I really liked MW.

Pandoracell said:
Call of Duty isn't exactley a giant leap forward beyond game mechanics, i'm not sure what you're laughing about. I see no reason to be suprised that someone finds Perfect Dark to be a fresh experience if they only ever play modern shooters all the time.

Anyway, in Chicago:Stealth,
how can I blow up the car? I need to move that civilian out of the way.
Not sure what car you mean but just go to the drainage area and go through the vents, open it, and use your gadgets on them. Each vent is under a car.

Dan Yo

Banned
Dries said:
In some ways I agree. However, there are some parts that could really use some better direction, and still other parts that just feel very cheap. How was I supposed to know that I had to knock out the guy I was forcing to log onto his computer before he decided to kill the AI and make me start the mission over? You don't. You just start over.

Dan Yo said:
In some ways I agree. However, there are some parts that could really use some better direction, and still other parts that just feel very cheap. How was I supposed to know that I had to knock out the guy I was forcing to log onto his computer before he decided to kill the AI and make me start the mission over? You don't. You just start over.
I love those surprises. :lol When you replay it and listen to his voice: "allow me to assist you... *eviltone*" it all makes sense. :lol

Sanic

Mr Sandman said:
Not sure what car you mean but just go to the drainage area and go through the vents, open it, and use your gadgets on them. Each vent is under a car.

lol ok thanks, I was doing it completley wrong. I thought you had to blow up a car with remote mines

Pandoracell said:
lol ok thanks, I was doing it completley wrong. I thought you had to blow up a car with remote mines
:lol
You can also do it the manly way and just knock that agent guy out and place the thing on the car.

Dries said:

I agree to certain extent. I love how varied the missions are and how most guns feel unique. The main problem that I have with PD is that I've become worn down by modern games. When I played PD when it first came out, I had no problem with not knowing where to go or making one mistake and failing the mission, that's just how games were. Nowadays, I keep wishing that the game had some kind of waypoints and the objectives were more clearly defined. I must of spent 15 minutes running around the corridors on the pelagic II trying to find Elvis.

This game is a lesson on how the shooter genre has both progressed and digressed in recent years.

Medalion said:
Auto-aim ruins this game, that you have to remember to turn it off or else the game can be too easy.
Yeah the game is a lot more fun with auto aim turned off. But when I'm going for speed runs I turn it on.

So I was gonna start doing some speed runs, and I noticed tons of people with 5 second times on the first mission. :/

I guess that glitch is still in the game huh?

Nemesis_

Lionheart1827 said:
So I was gonna start doing some speed runs, and I noticed tons of people with 5 second times on the first mission. :/

I guess that glitch is still in the game huh?

I honestly don't think it was within 4J's budget to go through and "clean up" parts of the game similar to that, though.

Nemesis556 said:
I honestly don't think it was within 4J's budget to go through and "clean up" parts of the game similar to that, though.
I think they left it on purpose...I recall the Klobb saying something like this in an interview.

Dan Yo

Banned
snoopeasystreet said:
This game is lesson how the shooter genre has both progressed and digressed in recent years.
Yep. I love the objective structure. Makes you feel like you're not only using your brain a little, but actually accomplishing something. Lack of direction or map can be a nuisance though.

So how much Goldeneye stuff is in this game? I played it a little bit with my friends yesterday and there were some Goldeneye weapons (I can't remember if all the ones I used were in the original). Same with levels?

Medalion

Banned
apocalidiot said:
So how much Goldeneye stuff is in this game? I played it a little bit with my friends yesterday and there were some Goldeneye weapons (I can't remember if all the ones I used were in the original). Same with levels?
It's more obvious in the Multiplayer, you can select classic Goldeneye level(s) most importantly the Facility level and have an option to enable "classic weapons" which means weapons from Goldeneye.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
apocalidiot said:

The only goldeneye thing they added to the game was the ability to use the unlock classic weapons in multiplayer.

Really they didn't add anything from goldeneye into the game that wasn't in PD 64 already.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Pandoracell said:

You can also throw the remote mine into the area by the lift with the four guards. If placed correctly you can kill all four guards instantly and dash to the exit rather than blow up the car. This won't work in Perfect Agent mode though as you need the remote mine for another misssion although you can use the bombspy if you know where to find it. ;)

This game is amazing. So far ahead of its time

I don't remember the last shooter since then i've played where you can have a ONE ON ONE deathmatch and it's a total blast

the amount of options and gameplay is staggering.

n64 games more then most games deserve the remakes, since the performance really did hurt gameplay.

this game goes in the record books for "standing the test of time"

mokeyjoe

quinntendopower said:
This game is amazing. So far ahead of its time

I don't remember the last shooter since then i've played where you can have a ONE ON ONE deathmatch and it's a total blast

the amount of options and gameplay is staggering.

n64 games more then most games deserve the remakes, since the performance really did hurt gameplay.

this game goes in the record books for "standing the test of time"

Yeah, this is true. It works pretty well one on one. You can have some really tense stand-offs. The customisability really helps you balance it regardless of the number of people. It's a shame that matchmaking is so vanilla. A sort of 'one size fits none' compromise.

ColR100

Nostalgia is the only thing this game has got going for it. Was really looking forward to its release, and bought it day one, but I don't feel it holds up all too well in places......especially the multiplayer.

My biggest issue with this game is that obviously the slow-down in the original was thought about from a gameplay perspective and factored into how Rare wanted it to play. The game feels stupidly quick now as this slowdown was eradicated.

I feel it would have been more beneficial to keep the pace of how it played on the N64 and just fill in all those skipped frames in-between. I understand it can be more complicated than just saying that and making it work that way though.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who's not played it previously also. I showed the game to a friend the other day, and he just couldn't understand why such a game would want to be played nowadays. To me that backs up the fact it's purely for those who loved the original release.

Medalion

Banned
ColR100 said:
Nostalgia is the only thing this game has got going for it. Was really looking forward to its release, and bought it day one, but I don't feel it holds up all too well in places......especially the multiplayer.

My biggest issue with this game is that obviously the slow-down in the original was thought about from a gameplay perspective and factored into how Rare wanted it to play. The game feels stupidly quick now as this slowdown was eradicated.

I feel it would have been more beneficial to keep the pace of how it played on the N64 and just fill in all those skipped frames in-between. I understand it can be more complicated than just saying that and making it work that way though.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who's not played it previously also. I showed the game to a friend the other day, and he just couldn't understand why such a game would want to be played nowadays. To me that backs up the fact it's purely for those who loved the original release.

That is a werid conclusion to draw...where did Rare ever say they wanted it like that? The slowness was because of the limitations of the N64 and the ambitiousness of the effects and AI, it wasn't done that way on purpose. If Rare wanted it that way for integrity, they woulda not tinkered with the frame-rate for the re-release.

ColR100

Medalion said:
That is a werid conclusion to draw...where did Rare ever say they wanted it like that? The slowness was because of the limitations of the N64 and the ambitiousness of the effects and AI, it wasn't done that way on purpose. If Rare wanted it that way for integrity, they woulda not tinkered with the frame-rate for the re-release.
Difference was that it wasn't exactly them who was tinkering with this for the re-release anyway, I doubt they had too much input and just left it all to 4J.

The reason why I come to that conclusion about the original frame-rate being factored into how it played is because the pace of the game is now just too quick.

I've also played through about half of the games single-player and there has been times where certain cut-scenes animation was ridiculously quick and laughable. I don't remember anyone saying when the game came out years ago that either the game felt really sluggish when played, or the cutscenes seemed like they were in matrix-slow mo mode.

With regards to whether it was factored in or not when originally released; I suppose we'll never know. But like every game made, those trade-offs working against performance of hardware will always be considered with how the game plays.

Medalion

Banned
ColR100 said:
Difference was that it wasn't exactly them who was tinkering with this for the re-release anyway, I doubt they had too much input and just left it all to 4J.

The reason why I come to that conclusion about the original frame-rate being factored into how it played is because the pace of the game is now just too quick.

I've also played through about half of the games single-player and there has been times where certain cut-scenes animation was ridiculously quick and laughable. I don't remember anyone saying when the game came out years ago that either the game felt really sluggish when played, or the cutscenes seemed like they were in matrix-slow mo mode.

With regards to whether it was factored in or not when originally released; I suppose we'll never know. But like every game made, those trade-offs working against performance of hardware will always be considered with how the game plays.

The 60fps is for everything, not just how fast you move. So if your speed improves so does everything else...;the ratio of how fast everyone moves and reacts is the same as it was in the original, just at 60fps smoother... so I don't think it was a game designe dwith slow frame-rate in mind...

REV 09

Playing this makes me surprised that people hated on PDZ so much. Sure PDZ is somewhat janky and odd compared to the Halo's and COD's, but now I know why...Rare really kept the feel of many things PD in PDZ instead of making PDZ more current like a Halo or COD.

I'm really enjoying the sp campaign. I wish more games did difficulty the way that PD/Goldeneye does it. So much more satisfying to have more objectives and such to do instead of just more guys who are stronger.

Although going through the first time on the easier difficulties and not having a clue about what some of the parts of a level are for because they are only used for higher difficulties is a pain.

I really love the quick pacing that this re-release has too.

so in short: More games need awesome objective-based missions, instead of simply move forward, watch cutscene, shoot.

mokeyjoe

ColR100 said:

That goes against much of the opinion I've read from people who've been playing it, including some who didn't play it the first time round. The comments about slowdown are just slightly bizarre frankly. Can't figure that one out I'm afraid.

Yes, Perfect Dark shows its age. But so do many movies. Is Citizen Kane less of groundbreaking piece of work because the acting and cinematography look dated by today standards and it's 'too slow' for many modern filmgoers? Is it purely nostalgia that leads to appreciation of that film? Or is because it was years ahead of its time and has a depth and pathos that many modern films have seem to have forgotten how to employ.

I'm not saying Perfect Dark is the Citizen Kane of FPSs but just because something looks old and feels old doesn't mean it lacks qualities which have been sorely lost over the decade since it's release. Yes it's different, but in a world of ever more homogenised shooters I really don't see this as a bad thing.

REV 09 said:
Playing this makes me surprised that people hated on PDZ so much. Sure PDZ is somewhat janky and odd compared to the Halo's and COD's, but now I know why...Rare really kept the feel of many things PD in PDZ instead of making PDZ more current like a Halo or COD.
Yeah I've said this for years, the reason I think people hate PDZ single player is that in fact is was kept too close to the old PD and not updated with more modern FPS conventions. The mission structure in PDZ is basically straight out of PD with the separate missions, unforgiving checkpoints, etc.

I have my 360 setup on a 14" sdtv right now, I have to give PD a try on my old tv :lol just a shame I don't have some sort of aerial cable for my xbox for true nostalgia!

This game commits the CARDINAL SIN of not giving you the "Completed Solo on Agent" achievement when you finish it on Secret Agent. FU, game. Now playing on agent. Rather fun to breeze through each level in 2-5 minutes, though..

jibblypop

Banned
I haven't even played the multiplayer yet because I'm so hooked on doing a level or two at a time of the campaign. I suck at this game just like I did back in the day! It's so fun!

Raiden

Banned
Replaying this reminded me how pussyfied newer games have been, you can fuck up your level so easily by killing civillans, or destroying mission equipment, bad placement of trackers and stuff.

Also, no checkpoints and stuff. Awesome.

Phew. What a game. Just now finished on agent to get that DAMN ACHIEVEMENT it didn't give me when I did it on special. Agent is easy once you know the levels, thankfully! I've gotten gold on about half of the weapon challenges... now I'm going to move onto Perfect Agent. God help me.

Marvie_3

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Phew. What a game. Just now finished on agent to get that DAMN ACHIEVEMENT it didn't give me when I did it on special. Agent is easy once you know the levels, thankfully! I've gotten gold on about half of the weapon challenges... now I'm going to move onto Perfect Agent. God help me.
I'm doing this too. I'm gonna get stomped. :lol

NG28

Raiden said:
Replaying this reminded me how pussyfied newer games have been, you can fuck up your level so easily by killing civillans, or destroying mission equipment, bad placement of trackers and stuff.

Also, no checkpoints and stuff. Awesome.

Yeah I actually love the no checkpoint system. When you're towards the end of the level you play more carefully because you don't want to die and start over. Whereas in current games it doesn't matter because you will continue shortly before you died. It adds some intensity to the game.

Has anyone gotten the cheats that you can unlock by having a PDZ save to actually work? I have a save, tried installing the game, played it again just to "refresh" the save, nothing. Wha?

Cleverly, your PDZ save has to pre-date your PD save and download date. So if you put the PDZ disc in and created a save just to get the cheats you have to delete your save and redownload the game for PD or do without.

I had a save back from 2005, so that wasn't an issue for me. But just in case, that's worth stating. If not, double check the menus. It doesn't TELL you they're unlocked, they're just unlocked.

Top Bottom