• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentiment |OT| Art imitates death

JkveetH.jpg

FOGWMh5.jpg

Mp6FoVx.jpg

er8ti15.png

IWsvJek.jpg
9tgS1ko.jpg
YJbssXw.jpg
wa3meMd.jpg
kYStVuP.jpg
C6e0gc5.jpg
iPsZWEX.jpg
4DUge88.jpg
Le4gpGv.jpg
fxZRKtG.jpg

WjOx5uo.jpg
V9SPoma.jpg

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Nice OT. Hoping we see some good scores. I am actually kind of surprised reviews did not start showing up before the weekend.

Reactions: Isa

rushgore

Do they make Series S run this at 1440p just to give Series X an advantage or is there an actual technical reason for that?

Some stuff from today's livestream:

- 36k lines of dialogue and 350k words.
- 41 achievements. Can't get all in one playthrough.
- Big head mode confirmed
- Game is Steam Deck verified
- You can choose whether to use stylized or easy read fonts, as well as scale the fonts up to 50% bigger. There's also high contrast mode, text to speech, historical lettering etc.

6GwGprj.png

- The journal is fucking sick:

zFnrvCc.png
wh5KioS.png
2l0IPky.png

Jennings

My main concern with this game is that acoording to reviews it takes over 2 hours before the story goes anywhere. I don't know why game devs do this. Triangle Strategy does this too. Can't game devs just do what movies do, try to get you hooked within minutes? Obsidian's Tyranny did this as well. The need to get the game's hooks in asap seems especially crucial for games that focus on story over gameplay.

On the other hand, I really like the idea of time being used as a resource here. I liked the do or die timer in Fallout 1's main quest, it gave the game a sense of urgency. And I think more story based games need devices like this to keep players driven, especially if the game is highly repayable..

Last edited:
My main concern with this game is that acoording to reviews it takes over 2 hours before the story goes anywhere. I don't know why game devs do this. Triangle Strategy does this too. Can't game devs just do what movies do, try to get you hooked within minutes? Obsidian's Tyranny did this as well. The need to get the game's hooks in asap seems especially crucial for games that focus on story over gameplay.

On the other hand, I really like the idea of time being used as a resource here. I liked the do or die timer in Fallout 1's main quest, it gave the game a sense of urgency. And I think more story based games need devices like this to keep players driven, especially if the game is highly repayable..
At the beginning is a little bit slow, but in this case is a necessity because the player must know each peasent, nuns and priests to really know what to do after the omicide.

Imho this portion is a gem because let you live some precious normal days inside the settlement.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just starting up on Steam Deck. Playing the GP version on Win10 and I couldn’t get it to go fullscreen initially. I have the Lossless Scaling app on Steam, so I just used that to force it. Seems to work fine now.

I’m picking all the renegade/asshole answers I can.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I guess the performance is flawless. How about the battery?
It runs 60fps on Deck with only 15-20% CPU usage and around 35% GPU usage. I played about 1h15m and still have 60% battery. Could probably get 2.5-3hrs in Win10 ‘Best Battery’ mode. On the Steam version in SteamOS with 30fps cap and lower TDP settings I would guess you’d be looking at 4-5hrs.

I’m playing as a Theologian specializing in the Occult and Logic, and I’m picking all the total dickhead and salacious answers. I really like the game so far. If it had full voice over it would be really amazing. I understand that’s not within the scope of the project. Still a great game so far.

Looks pretty good.
But why do I get the feeling they spent most of their money on buying studios, and most of the rest on Forza, and now they have to use this kind of art?

SCB3

Interesting Art style, not my cup of tea to look at but its on GP and I have a Series X so definitely worth a look at when I've done with Sonic and GoW I think

Started playing it.

Game is captivating to look at with painted look and writing is spot on.

Looking forward to playing more.

acm2000

i wouldnt even give this a passing glance if it not for game pass, but reading the reviews im low key kinda looking forward to giving it a try, thank you based microsoft.

now question is, how many meltdowns will this thread have over it getting higher scores than AAA games like that other thread? :LOL: its amazing how some people put so much value in the cost of something (development and/or retail) over the actual quality.

ManaByte

Had no interest in As Dusk Falls until the review and ended up loving the game.

Looks like this will be a repeat of that.

Played for about 3 hrs yesterday.

Am finding writing to be spot on. I am talking to every character i can find and feel there is real role playing possibilities. You can be anything from nice to timid to insufferable.

It's set in 16 century when church used to rule with iron fist. And it conveys time period, customs, characters and their dilemmas beautifully.

I am early in the game and I think story is picking up now. Hopefully it gets even better.

Went with a bookworm, logician, latinist, former student of Imperial Law. Great thing is, those choices really do affect dialogues and give you some new opportunities.

Love the writing and how fonts are used to describe Andreas's perception of other characters. Though I have to admit it can sometimes be difficult to read.

Art style is great, shame that the music is so sparse.

Overall, I'm enjoying it greatly. Time to go back and investigate some murder.

Went with a bookworm, logician, latinist, former student of Imperial Law. Great thing is, those choices really do affect dialogues and give you some new opportunities.

Love the writing and how fonts are used to describe Andreas's perception of other characters. Though I have to admit it can sometimes be difficult to read.

Art style is great, shame that the music is so sparse.

Overall, I'm enjoying it greatly. Time to go back and investigate some murder.

Yeah, already found a ton of dialogue based on my background. Good RPG system.

If you are finding music to be sparse, maybe try playing on HPs.

There is a ton of ambient sounds that would get lost otherwise. I am using wired cans and they produce a lot of detail.

calistan

This is great. The story moves along at a surprising pace, I'm pretty sure I've permanently missed out on something I was was working towards because I triggered the next scene before I'd finished that part. I wish I there were multiple saves.

The scratchy writing sound is a bit intrusive when playing with headphones. Love the typography effects, though.

Top Bottom