• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

blackflag

I'm just not losing weight at all the past week. My calorie intake is well below bmr, I usually don't eat before 4-8pm and I usually have one decent sized meal and maybe some snacks, then some wine or spirits mixed with diet soda. Probably average about 1500-1700 calories a day. I'm 245lbs and I think my bmr is something like 2700 calories.

Now, the diet soda and or wine probably isn't good, but it makes no sense that I'm not losing weight when my calories are so low.

I think you are mixing up your BMR with your TDEE. You should not be eating below your BMR. There's no way your BMR is 2700 cals though. I think you are just mixing up your terminology.

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram and your liver has to burn this before it metabolizes anything else so it definitely impedes fat loss. If you are drinking it daily or often, I'm sure that's at least part of the problem

Dash27

I'm just not losing weight at all the past week. My calorie intake is well below bmr, I usually don't eat before 4-8pm and I usually have one decent sized meal and maybe some snacks, then some wine or spirits mixed with diet soda. Probably average about 1500-1700 calories a day. I'm 245lbs and I think my bmr is something like 2700 calories.

Now, the diet soda and or wine probably isn't good, but it makes no sense that I'm not losing weight when my calories are so low.

One week is not make or break. How long have you been eating at a deficit? I found doing a break or refeed, whatever you want to call it, worked for me. 2 weeks of eating maintenance calories then back at it.

Dash27

I really gotta say this diet is doing wonders for me. Im shedding weight crazy fast and I've learned to listen to my body and it's signals. It's a really strange sensation once you begin to "feel" or "understand" what your body wants. :)

People have also been giving me compliments and noticed my weight loss. It really adds to my positive mood.

I tried different diets before - even allowed myself to have cheat days - and I haven't had great results like this before. I don't even recall what processed sugar tastes like.

Processed sugar. Never again.

Nice, this is good to read. I think eliminating processed foods and a lot of the sugar is the biggest element of this diet. It seems common sense but this gives a good framework to get it done.

Nice, this is good to read. I think eliminating processed foods and a lot of the sugar is the biggest element of this diet. It seems common sense but this gives a good framework to get it done.

Thanks! :)

Making a chicken curry dish as I'm typing this. Smells delicious!

EDIT: and honestly, I really don't remember the last time I ate candy or any artificial sugar. Must've been like nearly 2 months ago or more...

Ryck

I tried different diets before - even allowed myself to have cheat days - and I haven't had great results like this before. I don't even recall what processed sugar tastes like.

Processed sugar. Never again.
I totally agree I don't think I am ever going back, it's just so satisfying to eat this way. I don't feel deprived on the contrary I feel healthier than I ever have in my life and I still get to eat things I love like steak, eggs, chicken etc.

Saw this on a whiteboard at the swimming stadium I went to today, thought it was pretty inspirational:

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence

- Vince Lombardi

The national danish elite train swimming there.

I totally agree I don't think I am ever going back, it's just so satisfying to eat this way. I don't feel deprived on the contrary I feel healthier than I ever have in my life and I still get to eat things I love like steak, eggs, chicken etc.

127378013219.jpg

tumblr_m2a0ncTmpK1r0cym8o2_250.gif

Don't leave me hanging dude! :p

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Actually I lost a lb today after taking a couple of big shits. I think I was just backed up and holding extra weight in my colon.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I don't know why I didn't read through this topic until now. Totally need to get one of the cookbooks from the OP. Will probably try making some of the foods and at some point the diet since I want to lose my stubborn stomach fat but besides that alot of the recipes listed here look delicious and look easy enough to make which is perfect since I just learned how to cook this year. Hardest part is finding what recipes to make and what I can actually make with the tools I have, though I am in definite need of some more kitchen wares.

Oh, I did, with a hand blender. My wife is fine with the end product but it doesn't completely emulsify.

I'd sooner just drink it black.

Love myself some bulletproof coffee. I tried it with a hand blender and it was crappy. However, with a magic bullet it was wonderful! Fully blended and super creamy. I'm a little concerned about the implications of putting hot liquid in a plastic blender, though. Glass is more inert, but I'd have to get a whole new blender set up.

Thinking about introducing sweet patatoes and eggs into my diet, but Im not sure. At the moment Im still burning fat and I'm still getting DOMS from my swimming which I believe is good (slow burning sensation in my upper arms, abdomen, shoulders/upper back).

I'm cautious because I don't want neither to interrupt or ruin my progress.

I'm planning on taking one more month of swimming and then begin a weight training program.

Any good ideas/suggestions how to modify/utilize paleo more effectively within lifting?

We just talked about this on the last page.

Also why not just start lifting now?

Reading up on the last page now.

The reason I haven't begun lifting yet, is because I wanted my body to gradually get used to work out exercises.

My plan was/is: 1st month; get my body used to the paleo diet, 2nd month cardio exercises (swimming), 3rd month begin lifting.

I don't know if thats ideal either.

despire

If you plan on starting lifting then I would advice to just get started with it. No reason really to delay or prepare for it.

Also you will want to check you the Fitness-thread if you haven't already.

If you plan on starting lifting then I would advice to just get started with it. No reason really to delay or prepare for it.

Also you will want to check you the Fitness-thread if you haven't already.

Cool. Will do. Will have to start next month though since the gym membership can't comply with this months budget.

Dash27

Just a quick update for me. Hectic schedule and other various excuses lately BUT, I'm at 184 and still have maintained a healthy amount of my 205 lb selfs strength. I knew I'd lose some but I'm still lifting close to where I was at the heavier weight.

I need to ride this wave now to cut a few more lbs of fat and I should be in good territory! For me intermittent fasting with paleo works really well. My morning eggs, beef/chicken with veggies for lunch and a light dinner with salad. Perfect for me. I feel that slight twinge of "i'm hungry" and I know I'm about right for the day.

I need to lift heavy more consistently though.

SeanR1221

Well, I was able to get down to 196 from 202 by highly regulating my diet to 1800 calories....but I was kind of miserable and hungry a lot. Then I moved to just eating paleo 80/20 in an 8 hour period. Back up to 202 but I feel great.

Oh well.

Pyrokai

Congrats everyone on their successes!

My current problem: I've realized I'm not eating enough. I simply can't eat enough calories in a day of paleo food in order to not waste away! I just realized this recently because I was reaching dangerously thin levels.

So......question: I'm curious about the safest Paleo friendly protein shake. Any awesome smoothie recipes or anything out there? A pre-made protein shake mix or something that's fine for Paleo?

This is especially needed since I'm starting to exercise and stuff....

Why am I never hungry guys? I eat all these satiating foods/fats and therefore I'm never hungry. According to calculators like MyFitnessPal and stuff, I require about 2400 calories a day to MAINTAIN my weight. I can barely eat more that 1800. I'm going to waste away if I don't do something :(

Krowley

Congrats everyone on their successes!

My current problem: I've realized I'm not eating enough. I simply can't eat enough calories in a day of paleo food in order to not waste away! I just realized this recently because I was reaching dangerously thin levels.

So......question: I'm curious about the safest Paleo friendly protein shake. Any awesome smoothie recipes or anything out there? A pre-made protein shake mix or something that's fine for Paleo?

This is especially needed since I'm starting to exercise and stuff....

Why am I never hungry guys? I eat all these satiating foods/fats and therefore I'm never hungry. According to calculators like MyFitnessPal and stuff, I require about 2400 calories a day to MAINTAIN my weight. I can barely eat more that 1800. I'm going to waste away if I don't do something :(

I would trust my body and my appetite more than any daily caloric requirement estimation. Those things are not universal. They can be way off for some people depending on your body composition, the types of food you are eating, and all sorts of other things. At one point a few years back when i was doing calorie counting, i had to drastically undercut the recommendations to get my weight to come off, and I was actually measuring my food for accuracy with a food scale. Then when I switched to a low-carb diet, I ate more than the recommendations, and lost faster.

And also, you won't waste away. If you aren't hungry then you don't need food unless there is something seriously wrong with you (which is possible, I suppose, but not likely). If you start working out, your appetite should increase naturally.

It is possible that you are skinnier than you want to be, for cosmetic reasons or whatever, but if you aren't having any symptoms of malnutrition, it is very unlikely that you are unhealthy unless you have some kind of wasting sickness. Cancer, for example, can cause you to lose down to the point of emaciation even though you are eating enough, so if you really are wasting away while eating till you're full, you should see a doctor and make sure it is nothing serious.

If the situation is not quite that serious, and you just want to do something that will increase your appetite to gain a little more weight, bring in a few more potatoes, rice, and that sort of thing. A lot of paleo people who don't have weight problems are incorporating rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes with good results. Many agree there is nothing actually unnatural or non-paleo about potatoes and rice, but they can be a problem for people who have developed problems with insulin resistance.

Also try eating more fruit.

Pyrokai

I would trust my body and my appetite more than any daily caloric requirement estimation. Those things are not universal. They can be way off for some people depending on your body composition, the types of food you are eating, and all sorts of other things. At one point a few years back when i was doing calorie counting, i had to drastically undercut the recommendations to get my weight to come off, and I was actually measuring my food for accuracy with a food scale. Then when I switched to a low-carb diet, I ate more than the recommendations, and lost faster.

And also, you won't waste away. If you aren't hungry then you don't need food unless there is something seriously wrong with you (which is possible, I suppose, but not likely). If you start working out, your appetite should increase naturally.

It is possible that you are skinnier than you want to be, for cosmetic reasons or whatever, but if you aren't having any symptoms of malnutrition, it is very unlikely that you are unhealthy unless you have some kind of wasting sickness. Cancer, for example, can cause you to lose down to the point of emaciation even though you are eating enough, so if you really are wasting away while eating till you're full, you should see a doctor and make sure it is nothing serious.

If the situation is not quite that serious, and you just want to do something that will increase your appetite to gain a little more weight, bring in a few more potatoes, rice, and that sort of thing. A lot of paleo people who don't have weight problems are incorporating rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes with good results. Many agree there is nothing actually unnatural or non-paleo about potatoes and rice, but they can be a problem for people who have developed problems with insulin resistance.

Also try eating more fruit.

Thanks for the info, man. Decided to eat some more fruit and a couple other of your suggestions. You've put my worries to rest a bit though, so thank you.

Was doing some reading of Robb Wolf's and his exercise routines and stuff. He seems to reccomend eating more carbs if you're going to be more active (correct me if I'm wrong) but he also rules out rice and potatoes. Man, I can only eat so many sweet potatoes, you know? Is the primary difference between potatoes and sweet potatoes the fact that insulin will spike higher with regular potatoes than with yams? Rice, is obviously because it's a grain, but as far as rice and potatoes are concerned, I don't think there is anything particular very wrong with them other than they spike your insulin a lot. I dunno. I'm still not eating them, but I miss them a whole lot.

Krowley

Thanks for the info, man. Decided to eat some more fruit and a couple other of your suggestions. You've put my worries to rest a bit though, so thank you.

Was doing some reading of Robb Wolf's and his exercise routines and stuff. He seems to reccomend eating more carbs if you're going to be more active (correct me if I'm wrong) but he also rules out rice and potatoes. Man, I can only eat so many sweet potatoes, you know? Is the primary difference between potatoes and sweet potatoes the fact that insulin will spike higher with regular potatoes than with yams? Rice, is obviously because it's a grain, but as far as rice and potatoes are concerned, I don't think there is anything particular very wrong with them other than they spike your insulin a lot. I dunno. I'm still not eating them, but I miss them a whole lot.

I'm not quite deep enough into the intricacies of the paleo thing to give you the full story on the difference between potatoes/rice and sweet potatoes, but I'm sure some of the other posters probably know a bit more.

I do know that potatoes and rice are both terrible from an insulin spike perspective, but if you are working out that's not always a bad thing. I think Rob Wolf's problem with them is partially because both are often "problem" foods for people. Potatoes in particular are very often associated with weight gain, and people tend to overeat them... Potato chips, french fries, mashed potatoes, etc.. Potatoes are everywhere in the modern western diet, and they do spike insulin pretty hard.

So, basically, if you are doing paleo for weight loss, potatoes can be dangerous to incorporate. Even in that case, if you brought them in carefully, in moderation, you could still probably eat them. They aren't really much (any?) worse pound for pound than fruit of equivalent size, and a lot of paleo people eat a lot of fruit without concern.

One difference comes from how people eat them. With fruit, you might eat an apple or a handful of grapes. With potatoes, you might sit and munch on chips constantly, and eat piles and piles of mashed potatoes, and gorge on fries, sometimes all in the same day. Pretty soon you've got 200 or 300 grams of carbs.

ch0mp

I'm not quite deep enough into the intricacies of the paleo thing to give you the full story on the difference between potatoes/rice and sweet potatoes, but I'm sure some of the other posters probably know a bit more.

I do know that potatoes and rice are both terrible from an insulin spike perspective, but if you are working out that's not always a bad thing. I think Rob Wolf's problem with them is partially because both are often "problem" foods for people. Potatoes in particular are very often associated with weight gain, and people tend to overeat them... Potato chips, french fries, mashed potatoes, etc.. Potatoes are everywhere in the modern western diet, and they do spike insulin pretty hard.

So, basically, if you are doing paleo for weight loss, potatoes can be dangerous to incorporate. Even in that case, if you brought them in carefully, in moderation, you could still probably eat them. They aren't really much (any?) worse pound for pound than fruit of equivalent size, and a lot of paleo people eat a lot of fruit without concern.

One difference comes from how people eat them. With fruit, you might eat an apple or a handful of grapes. With potatoes, you might sit and munch on chips constantly, and eat piles and piles of mashed potatoes, and gorge on fries, sometimes all in the same day. Pretty soon you've got 200 or 300 grams of carbs.
Yep. I often have a small-medium baked potato and salsa with my meals but once you start slathering it in sour cream, cheese or deep frying it etc it could be a problem.

Pre

I do know that potatoes and rice are both terrible from an insulin spike perspective, but if you are working out that's not always a bad thing.

Correct. Stay active and you can handle the insulin spike.

Also, I think the problem with potatoes, aside from the fact that most Americans get very little exercise, is as you mentioned -- they are overeaten in the form of junk food like chips. I like eating simple baked potatoes with nothing more than butter and have no problems.

Pyrokai

Went to Trader Joe's for the first time yesterday and stocked up on on some interesting stuff. Spent a little more than I wanted, but any other organic store would have cost me far more than what I did pay.

I bought my first grass-fed beef there. Not sure what I should do with it. I was thinking stuffed peppers??? Never made those before. I also bought a lot of canned fish. I'm scared to try them, but I bought anchovies, clams, oysters, and trout. I don't even know what to do with them!

I've generally been allowing myself potatoes even being not too active and I think I'm fine. I only have them about once a week anyway. Same with white rice. Usually with sushi.

Dre

You should eat those oysters as soon as possible, i.e. as long as they're alive. They turn bad really quickly and eating those will lead to massive (!) intestinal problems.

Usually they are eaten raw and seasoned with a bit of pepper or lemon juice. At least that's how I like them.

Galang

Banned
This diet seems really interesting and I've been reading up on it the past few days in preparation to start trying next week for various reasons. What I'm confused about is the beverages. I consume a lot of juices regularly and that's probably what I'm going to be bummed about missing the most. There doesn't seem to be many alternatives to drinks. I've read almond/coconut milk and water. I was curious if there was a lot more options than that. Any help would be appreciated

Everdred

This diet seems really interesting and I've been reading up on it the past few days in preparation to start trying next week for various reasons. What I'm confused about is the beverages. I consume a lot of juices regularly and that's probably what I'm going to be bummed about missing the most. There doesn't seem to be many alternatives to drinks. I've read almond/coconut milk and water. I was curious if there was a lot more options than that. Any help would be appreciated
Almond/coconut milk, water, tea and coffee.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Went to Trader Joe's for the first time yesterday and stocked up on on some interesting stuff. Spent a little more than I wanted, but any other organic store would have cost me far more than what I did pay.

I bought my first grass-fed beef there. Not sure what I should do with it. I was thinking stuffed peppers??? Never made those before. I also bought a lot of canned fish. I'm scared to try them, but I bought anchovies, clams, oysters, and trout. I don't even know what to do with them!

I've generally been allowing myself potatoes even being not too active and I think I'm fine. I only have them about once a week anyway. Same with white rice. Usually with sushi.

hm watch out for the mercury...?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep this in mind

Galang said:
I consume a lot of juices regularly and that's probably what I'm going to be bummed about missing the most. There doesn't seem to be many alternatives to drinks. I've read almond/coconut milk and water. I was curious if there was a lot more options than that. Any help would be appreciated

You won't be bummed about it when you'll be squeezing your own juice. It's so easy :)

Usually I make my own lemonade by squeezing a few lemons slices into a water pitcher.

You could try this too: http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/06/05/watermelon-mint-lemonade/

In other news, just ate homemade paleo bread with banana pancakes. Oh momma!

Galang

Banned
You won't be bummed about it when you'll be squeezing your own juice. It's so easy :)

Usually I make my own lemonade by squeezing a few lemons slices into a water pitcher.

You could try this too: http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/06/05/watermelon-mint-lemonade/

In other news, just ate homemade paleo bread with banana pancakes. Oh momma!

Thanks for the link! That watermelon drink looks delicious. That's not bad at all then, especially since it's a lot more healthy this way. Very excited to try

Pyrokai

You should eat those oysters as soon as possible, i.e. as long as they're alive. They turn bad really quickly and eating those will lead to massive (!) intestinal problems.

Usually they are eaten raw and seasoned with a bit of pepper or lemon juice. At least that's how I like them.

Oh, really? All my canned fish expires in like 2016 or 2017, lol. Oysters, too. Are we thinking of the same thing?

Gonna try eating them tomorrow for lunch with some cabbage leaves and pepper and a banana/greek yogurt for dessert.

dralla

This shit right here, pretty incredible

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I bought a jar of regular peanut butter too, and I have to say, it's now one of my least favorite nut butters. So I'll probably be 100% paleo after I finish it, which is crazy to think, no PB or cheese [damn breakouts!]. usually people get less strict as time goes on, but I seem to be going the opposite.

--

ah oysters! that's what I forgot to get, thanks for reminding me! but how do the smoked/canned ones taste, like ass?

Dre

Oh, really? All my canned fish expires in like 2016 or 2017, lol. Oysters, too. Are we thinking of the same thing?

Gonna try eating them tomorrow for lunch with some cabbage leaves and pepper and a banana/greek yogurt for dessert.

Haha no we're not talking about the same thing. As an Eurosnob, I didn't even consider that the oysters you bought were canned. Over here the only way to eat them is fresh/alive, I wasn't aware that you could buy them canned at all, actually this even kinda surprises me.
Like dralla I fear they might really taste like ass, but since I don't have any experience with it, I may be mistaken. You totally should try fresh ones one day tough.

Pyrokai

This shit right here, pretty incredible

I bought a jar of regular peanut butter too, and I have to say, it's now one of my least favorite nut butters. So I'll probably be 100% paleo after I finish it, which is crazy to think, no PB or cheese [damn breakouts!]. usually people get less strict as time goes on, but I seem to be going the opposite.

--

ah oysters! that's what I forgot to get, thanks for reminding me! but how do the smoked/canned ones taste, like ass?

Probably like ass :p . I haven't tried them yet. I'm too afraid! Same with the anchovies and sardines (which, btw, Dre, also come canned in case they don't come like that in Europe). I also forgot I got canned trout, too. And salmon. Just in case I didn't say them all :p . If I can find some fresh some day, I'll definitely try that, though.

Your sunflower seed oil post, dralla, made me remember about something I'm pretty confused about: Seeds. Are seeds good for Paleo or not? I keep reading we shouldn't eat seeds, then I read about people using flaxseed oil and crap. I've always heard flaxseed is great for you, but then I read they're estrogenic and not that good for you. And then you have sunflower seed butter, but then I read that sunflower seed oil is bad for you. So confused.

Also: Currently drinking bulletproof coffee. Freaking amazing!

dralla

Sunflower oil is very different than sunflower seed butter. The butter is simply sunflower seeds ground up into a 'peanut butter' type of spread.

Seeds in general are fine, better than fine actually, they have some great nutritional profiles. Sunflower, Pumpkin, Flax, Sesame, ect The knock against Flax seeds/oil is that their omega-3 are ALA, and not the EPA/DHA found in fish. ALA's, or the omega-3 found in plants, are not used the same way as the more beneficial ones found in fish, the body has to essentially convert them into EPA/DHA, and the conversion rate is low. There's nothing inherently wrong with ALA, it's just not nearly the same as eating seafood. I was walking in a store and they were demoing this weird dip I forget the name of, and the lady demoing kept saying 'MORE OMEGA-3 THAN SALMON!', and the dip was made using flax oil. It's stuff like that, just be aware that omega-3 from plants are very different than the ones in fish.

I've tried sunflower and sesame seed butter, my friend bought a jar of pumpkin seed butter, need to try that and see which is my favorite.

As far as canned salmon, make sure it's sockeye/red salmon and not pink, the red is fattier and has tons more omega-3. It taste very similar to tuna out of the can, it's really not great. You can mash an avocado into it to make a 'chicken salad' variant, or even bake it in the oven.

FryHole

One thing you can say for ALA despite it not being full-on omega 3 goodness, is that it competes with linoleic acid (omega 6) for the attention of particular processing enzymes, and appears to be preferred over LA. So conversion rate might be low, but you could still benefit simply from ALA interfering with O6 processing.

http://www.jlr.org/content/48/7/1592.full (see ref 8 in text)

Pyrokai

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I've been avoiding seeds because I thought they were bad. It's like a whole new snack option is now available for me!!

But now I'm assuming these expenseive omega 3 supplements I bought are probably from plants rather than fish. I should have just bought the fish oil supplement instead. Do I continue taking them or not? Very frustrating...

Rookje

Wolverine does Leangains :)

hugh-abs-jpg_153130.jpg

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-ne...s-lot-chicken-become-wolverine-223632622.html

"When you're bulking, you're just eating so much food," Jackman said. "What I do is I eat in an eight hour period, it's all the rage this diet now. It's called the 16-8 diet. For sixteen hours of the day, I fast, so I don't eat. Between ten in the morning and six o'clock at night … I eat 5,000 calories. And then I eat nothing … it's more about, 'This is a disgusting amount of food, I can't eat another bite.' I literally talk to myself like I'm training – 'One more mouthful, c'mon man! You can do it! Just one more mouthful! Half a chicken breast to go and then you've got it! Just two meals left!'"

Just baked & ate homemade blueberry paleo muffins (coconut flour, eggs, bananas). Good GOD, they're SO delicious!

Its recently come to my attention how awful sugary sweets smell. I was walking past a candy shop and associated the smell with rot, or food thats passed the expiration date. Especially gummi candy smells terrible D:

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Just baked & ate homemade blueberry paleo muffins (coconut flour, eggs, bananas). Good GOD, they're SO delicious!

Its recently come to my attention how awful sugary sweets smell. I was walking past a candy shop and associated the smell with rot, or food thats passed the expiration date. Especially gummi candy smells terrible D:

Mmm, link to the recipe?

Mmm, link to the recipe?

Sure!

Its a danish recipe, Lemme translate even though some things seem pretty straight forward:

http://www.paleo-opskrifter.dk/recipes/paleo-muffins/

------

3 x medium sized bananas

4 x medium/large eggs

100 grams of coconut flour

vanilla

add your favourite choice of berries here

There should be enough dough for 12~15 servings/portions/muffins.

------

1. Preheat the oven to 170 C*

2. squish the bananas to mush

3. add coconut flour, eggs, vanilla and berries

4. pour the dough into muffin shapes (whip them with some oil in advance)

5. bake for 30 min.

Enjoy! :)

Top Bottom