• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Red UFO

Does anybody have any good ideas for snacks on this diet? I know the real answer is eat enough in your meals to not need to snack, but what if?

Dre

Does anybody have any good ideas for snacks on this diet? I know the real answer is eat enough in your meals to not need to snack, but what if?

Nuts/seeds, hard boiled eggs, beef jerkys, canned fish and fruits are the usuals. Plus, every vegetable you like eating raw of course.

MANGOS!

Seriously. Do not underestimate this glorious piece of ass. Its juicy like hell.

Also, carrot imo.

I snack on a slice of my homemade paleo bread - whipped with honey - if Im feeling hungry.

Pyrokai

So do you guys go by the mentality that if, even when body building, you're cautious of insulin spikes?

Just started weightlifting (today, actually!) and in order to gain muscle, I need to eat more than I do. I want to do this while remaining paleo. I understand raising insulin helps your body build muscle AND fat. My question: If I'm not eating rice, grains, or white potatoes, is any other carb source going to be ENOUGH for me to eat? If I just eat a shit ton of sweet potatoes, will that help me gain weight? Or should I just go for regular potatoes? (when I say weight, I mean muscle...I know fat will come with it, but I'd like to keep that at a minimum).

Not quite sure the best way to eat paleo + muscle gain. Lots of sources say I SHOULD raise my insulin to get the best results....but I don't want the fat. And I don't want to raise my insulin if I don't have to. Will eating sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes build more muscle than fat? Little confused here.

So do you guys go by the mentality that if, even when body building, you're cautious of insulin spikes?

Just started weightlifting (today, actually!) and in order to gain muscle, I need to eat more than I do. I want to do this while remaining paleo. I understand raising insulin helps your body build muscle AND fat. My question: If I'm not eating rice, grains, or white potatoes, is any other carb source going to be ENOUGH for me to eat? If I just eat a shit ton of sweet potatoes, will that help me gain weight? Or should I just go for regular potatoes? (when I say weight, I mean muscle...I know fat will come with it, but I'd like to keep that at a minimum).

Not quite sure the best way to eat paleo + muscle gain. Lots of sources say I SHOULD raise my insulin to get the best results....but I don't want the fat. And I don't want to raise my insulin if I don't have to. Will eating sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes build more muscle than fat? Little confused here.

How much do you weigh? As far as I understand, if you want to build muscles - strength - you WILL need to acquire mass. You shouldn't keep fat to a minimum if you're light/skinny/underweight. Bulk for a year, then start working/cutting the fat off prior to next summer.

As far as I've read regular patatoes aren't good starch, sweet patatoes are. Another way to bulk that I've read about is to make sure to eat a ton - depends on your current intake - of eggs a day and at least 1 lb of meat pr day to gain healthy fat, carbs and protein assuming you don't use GOMAD. That's assuming if you're strictly speaking if you're on a strict Paleo.

Fat - healthy saturated fat - will be used as energy so do not be afraid to gain weight.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, but that's how I've come to understand it.

Pyrokai

How much do you weigh? As far as I understand, if you want to build muscles - strength - you WILL need to acquire mass. You shouldn't keep fat to a minimum if you're light/skinny/underweight. Bulk for a year, then start working/cutting the fat off prior to next summer.

As far as I've read regular patatoes aren't good starch, sweet patatoes are. Another way to bulk that I've read about is to make sure to eat a ton - depends on your current intake - of eggs a day and at least 1 lb of meat pr day to gain healthy fat, carbs and protein assuming you don't use GOMAD. That's assuming if you're strictly speaking if you're on a strict Paleo.

Fat - healthy saturated fat - will be used as energy so do not be afraid to gain weight.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, but that's how I've come to understand it.

I guess I should clarify and say that I DO eat plenty of (hopefully) healthy fats. I'm just afraid of GAINING fat. I have a pretty nice body-fat percentage right now (about 12%) and would prefer to gain muscle and keep the fat at that percentage IF AT ALL possible. I figure eating Paleo will help me do that, but I wanted to be sure. I know that I'm going to eat regular potatoes as well, because variety is the spice of life, but I wanted to know if those were going to prevent me from doing what I just described and sweet potatoes won't.

Not trying to turn this into the Fitness OT, by the way. Just wanted the Paleo crowd's opinion.

Oh, I'm 5'10 140 lbs, so yes I'm pretty skinny but I don't look sickly or anything.

So it seems like the Costco near me no longer stocks the KerryGold butter. Does anyone know if this is a nationwide thing? 1.5 lbs. of grass-fed butter for $6.99 was pretty great, I'll be very sad if this is a permanent change.

Schlep

I guess I should clarify and say that I DO eat plenty of (hopefully) healthy fats. I'm just afraid of GAINING fat. I have a pretty nice body-fat percentage right now (about 12%) and would prefer to gain muscle and keep the fat at that percentage IF AT ALL possible.
Not really possible, even with a clean diet. Bulking means you are going to add some fat along with muscle, that's just how it works. You can keep it to a minimum by sticking with good foods, but you will still put some on.

Don't confuse that with the guys who think bulking means eating whatever the hell they want, lol. Those are the guys who end up looking overweight by the end of a bulk.

dralla

Darkest chocolate yet. Dis shit is dark. And after 3 squares, kinda delicious.

8fb3ba3cd57f11e296ed22000aaa0a30_7.jpg

it's crazy how different in taste it is from the 85% considering how small the difference in cacao. In a weird way it almost taste like chocolate flavored tree bark? I don't know how to explain it, it's really good though, and only $2.19 at Target. If you're a DC fiend like myself, you need to try it. The after taste is pretty incredible.

Dash27

If you're brand new to lifting you likely have the magical ability to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time for a while. Newbie gains are fun like that. In any case lifting can only improve your physique imo. So worry about getting stronger and eat quality foods, good things will come.

This site might have what you need: http://eattoperform.com/

Also 70's big is good for this kind of info. Basically add potatoes and rice to your paleo. Preferably sweet potato.

it's crazy how different in taste it is from the 85% considering how small the difference in cacao. In a weird way it almost taste like chocolate flavored tree bark? I don't know how to explain it, it's really good though, and only $2.19 at Target. If you're a DC fiend like myself, you need to try it. The after taste is pretty incredible.

Yo this is my ish right here! I get a few bars a month.

dralla

There's a problem with it though, fuck, it uses the dutch processing of chocolate, which means it uses alkaline, which reduces the flavonoid content of the cocoa beans. I didn't even check the back till I got home, I figured it was the same as their other Lindt bars, but nope, for some reason this is their only bar with alkali. And you can tell immediately by how smooth it is there's alkali in it. Oh well, I'll stick get it once in a while, but I'll go with the 85% bar as my go-to Lindt

Everdred

This brand specifically gives me terrible terrible gas, with awful smelling farts. I eat used to 85% and 90% but I couldn't bare the gas anymore.

Hmm, I may try this. I have done atkins before, but the lack of fruit in the initial stages drove me nuts. I am pretty lazy though and have relied on prepackaged foods in the past.

I've been pretty consistent with Paleo for a year now, and I consider myself more into bodybuilding than other types of training. I've gained about 15 pounds this past year and very minimally in my waist, if I don't fit into pants its because my legs got bigger. The one thing I devour almost daily is a whole chicken, or at least some part of the chicken that is not the breast. Chicken thighs and drumsticks with the skin are a great way to get a ton of calories in with a great source of fat and protein.

I eat sweet potato and carrots a lot as well, mostly post workout. An insulin spike or replacing glycogen stores is something that really depends on your body type. I'm an ectomorph and have trouble gaining weight, but for the longest time when I did it would build around my waist first. I discovered Paleo and all of those troubles went away.

Does anyone have their typical shopping list?

Is it best to avoid the big chains like safeway and instead go to places like nugget, trader joes, whole food?

3 x 500 ml coconut oil
250 ml coconut milk
15 eggs
10 bananas
2 kgs of apples
2 kgs of oranges
1 mango
4 x 250 gr. bacon
800~1000 gr. salmon
500~1000 gr. ground beef
500 gr, ground pork
400~800 gr. chicken
500 gr. red peppers
2 x 1,5 kg. onions
2 kgs of carrots
4 x garlic
500~600 gr. celery
2 avocados
200 gr. hazelnuts
200 gr. almonds
1 pineapple
2 x brocollis
10 x lemons

Some of them are variables though..

blackflag

Sweet potatoes are one of the best carbs so yeah you'll be fine.

mitheor

Guys, any idea of a good snack/bar to eat during the morning?

I don´t like to cook anything at that time, kind of lazy :|

Ps. Available in Europe if possible

Is it best to avoid the big chains like safeway and instead go to places like nugget, trader joes, whole food?

I do most of my shopping from a Shop Rite, which is a big chain in the northeast US. But I also get a lot of my meats from the butcher. It's not hard to find things like uncured nitrate free bacon at the big chains now. But the local butcher is someone I can talk to about where the meat comes from and all that good stuff.

FryHole

I like a bar of 85% dark chocolate - Lindt if you're flush, Aldi/Moser Roth if you're not. Also nice to use one to scoop up some butter or mascarpone, if you eat dairy.

18 eggs
3 blocks of butter (2 salted, 1 non)
Streaky bacon
Root veg - parsnips, sweet potatoes, white potatoes
Topside of beef
Smoked salmon
Clotted cream
Mascarpone cheese
Asparagus
Broccoli
Sweet peppers
Spinach
Onions
Tomatoes
Dark chocolate
Nuts - macadamia, pecan, almonds
Frozen fruit - blueberries, raspberries
Bananas
Pack of buckwheat
Rice crackers
Shoulder of pork to make sausages
Fudge (because fuck it)

All major supermarket stuff except the pork.

I'm so addicted to coffee + coconut milk + coconut oil equation. It just tastes incredible.

A slice of paleo carrot bread if I any left. Otherwise I grab an apple or a small carrot.

I had a bout of bread eating recently due to being ill and all I could stomach to eat was soup with some nice bread and butter.

Once I got better I thought I should get back to Paleo/Primal principles so I haven't had any bread or potatoes or patisserie etc.

My sleeping pattern has been all borked and I've been really low in energy. I couldn't work out why but then it struck me that I was probably suffering with the initial stages of ketosis.

Does that sound about right? I'm adjusting to it now i.e. the sleeping pattern is regulating itself and I'm not as exhausted as I was but I am still low in energy. However, if I lose some weight on my current diet then colour me happy!

I had a bout of bread eating recently due to being ill and all I could stomach to eat was soup with some nice bread and butter.

Once I got better I thought I should get back to Paleo/Primal principles so I haven't had any bread or potatoes or patisserie etc.

My sleeping pattern has been all borked and I've been really low in energy. I couldn't work out why but then it struck me that I was probably suffering with the initial stages of ketosis.

Does that sound about right? I'm adjusting to it now i.e. the sleeping pattern is regulating itself and I'm not as exhausted as I was but I am still low in energy. However, if I lose some weight on my current diet then colour me happy!

So you're normal?

Haha! I feel SO awesome atm!

I just struck a business proposal with my local arabic merchant for pure quality coconut oil for a cheap price.

The deal is he'll sell me his coconut oil for 10% less than the regular customer, and I'll be his exclusive customer for 6 months.

That's pretty awesome considering how sky high the prices are generally everywhere else.

Forgive my gloating GAF, I'm just happy about this.

You think?

First time I've ever been called that before...

I mean, lo carb is good to an extent. If you are feeling like you cannot get full or have to eat a huge amount to even feel anyhing close to that, I think so.

Really, this is the first time in humanity that we are kinda in control of our food intake. Most of our history is trying to get enough to eat at a basic, functional level

Sorry, if I am being insensitive to some of you in my posts. I am undergoing lots of uh, mental distress. I am just a student of Anthropology and love to get really into this shit.

I mean, lo carb is good to an extent. If you are feeling like you cannot get full or have to eat a huge amount to even feel anyhing close to that, I think so.

Actually I'm generally not feeling very hungry at all [which is a good thing as I'm not currently exercising and need to lose weight not put it on!]

Also my sleeping patterns and energy levels seem to have normalised so that's helpful; I feel like I can get back to 'normal' again and get some things done :).

It amused me how I probably slipped into ketosis without realising it or planning to do it and it took me several days before the penny dropped.

There's an old phrase that one doesn't tend to hear much anymore, "can't see the wood for the trees" that seems apposite here :).

Really, this is the first time in humanity that we are kinda in control of our food intake. Most of our history is trying to get enough to eat at a basic, functional level

Yes and it's very easy to forget that when one is wrapped up in all of one's First World daily dramas.

Sorry, if I am being insensitive to some of you in my posts. I am undergoing lots of uh, mental distress. I am just a student of Anthropology and love to get really into this shit.

That's quite alright; no need to apologise at all [but it does you credit]; no offence was taken.

I'm sorry for your distress and hope it eases soon. I have my own experience of such matters so my heart goes out to you.

dralla

I've been eating a lot of plantains lately, and I have to say, they're not what I was expecting. Green plantains essentially taste like potatoes. Yellow plantains are like a slightly creamier banana with a decent amount of sweetness to it. I haven't let one fully ripen to black yet, I DID see a black one though, earlier today, but didn't buy it. I've been frying them in coconut oil or baking them after a nice coat of EVOO. They're very calorie/starch dense. They're essentially 2 bananas in one. I generally eat them half at a time, but if I want a lot of starch/carbs I'll have a whole one. They're cheap as well, so if you're on a budget, a good, cheap way to get some calories/starch in your diet.

Chicken/Plantain/Brazil Nut/Spinach salad. EVOO as my dressing.
df38013edd1e11e2bb5122000a9e2955_7.jpg

Ryck

Five months and about 65 pounds lost. This "diet" has changed my life, I will be doing a variation of it probably for the rest of my life.

Ryck

Are you doing any strict version of it? Or just the Paleo in general? I am starting today.
My only real cheats are cheese and butter I guess I eat that pretty regularly otherwise I'd say I am pretty strict. I never cheat with bread or rice or grains or potatoes.

EDIT:

I do also have ham kinda regularly as well.

Pyrokai

My only real cheats are cheese and butter I guess I eat that pretty regularly otherwise I'd say I am pretty strict. I never cheat with bread or rice or grains or potatoes.

EDIT:

I do also have ham kinda regularly as well.

Wait. Ham is a cheat? I think it's only a cheat if you consider bacon to be a cheat.

Lately, I've been falling out of paleo and eating things with sugar and grains. Not an exorbitant amount, but I'll go one day of 100% paleo and then another day of having some potatoes or rice. On celebratory days or holidays, I'll go hog-wild on sweets, too (my last day of work before I start my new job I had two donuts and ice cream in the same day!!). I really, really don't think it's that bad for me. I mean, I know you guys will disagree, but if I don't eat some of this stuff, I'm going to waste away to nothing because I just can't eat enough calories throughout the day.

Please tell me I'm not alone here. I can't be the only one that goes in-and-out of paleo on a semi-regular basis? I'm Paleo more days of the week than I'm not, but I've found that being so strict with it is causing me severe stress and anxiety.

Also, do you guys find it hard to cook enough to keep this up? I am STRUGGLING to cook all the time. I just don't know how people do it. What are some of your quick meals?

Ryck

I don't really cheat at all then, It just works better for me. When it comes to things I tend to do better at extremes. I like how disciplined I feel, I like the fact that I am in a way depriving myself of things.

Not sure why exactly but I do know if I cheat a little bit I will end of caving. A cheat for me is a protein burger with sweet potato fries or something like that and that is a twice a month thing at most for me.

The closer I get to my goal weight the more I will allow myself to test the waters with certain things.

Dre

Wait. Ham is a cheat? I think it's only a cheat if you consider bacon to be a cheat.

Lately, I've been falling out of paleo and eating things with sugar and grains. Not an exorbitant amount, but I'll go one day of 100% paleo and then another day of having some potatoes or rice. On celebratory days or holidays, I'll go hog-wild on sweets, too (my last day of work before I start my new job I had two donuts and ice cream in the same day!!). I really, really don't think it's that bad for me. I mean, I know you guys will disagree, but if I don't eat some of this stuff, I'm going to waste away to nothing because I just can't eat enough calories throughout the day.

Please tell me I'm not alone here. I can't be the only one that goes in-and-out of paleo on a semi-regular basis? I'm Paleo more days of the week than I'm not, but I've found that being so strict with it is causing me severe stress and anxiety.

Also, do you guys find it hard to cook enough to keep this up? I am STRUGGLING to cook all the time. I just don't know how people do it. What are some of your quick meals?
Ham isn't technically a cheat, just keep in mind that it is highly processed and mostly full of sodium, but if your potassium intake is high you won't have to worry about high sodium foods.
Same goes for potatoes and rice, while technically not paleo, they're considered as 'ok foods' in other more lenient forms of this diet (Primal Blueprint for instance). They're just not as nutrient rich as other foods, that's why they're not super popular among paleo followers (except for sweet potatoes).

Don't try to overthink too much, try to follow the 80% rule and you'll be fine, cheat meals can be a part of this diet, mostly to ease the pressure on you mind you're obviously experiencing. Following paleo shouldn't be stressful like other diets can be and cheat meals or snacks can be a viable option when feeling nervous.

When I don't feel like cooking I mostly chop some vegetables and put some olives, feta, canned tuna, nuts/seeds in a bowl and drench it with EVOO. I do that several times a week.

I've been eating a lot of plantains lately, and I have to say, they're not what I was expecting. Green plantains essentially taste like potatoes. Yellow plantains are like a slightly creamier banana with a decent amount of sweetness to it. I haven't let one fully ripen to black yet, I DID see a black one though, earlier today, but didn't buy it. I've been frying them in coconut oil or baking them after a nice coat of EVOO. They're very calorie/starch dense. They're essentially 2 bananas in one. I generally eat them half at a time, but if I want a lot of starch/carbs I'll have a whole one. They're cheap as well, so if you're on a budget, a good, cheap way to get some calories/starch in your diet.

Chicken/Plantain/Brazil Nut/Spinach salad. EVOO as my dressing.
df38013edd1e11e2bb5122000a9e2955_7.jpg

:eek: I do not think I've ever seen any of them in my friendly neighbourhood* supermarket. From whence do they come, pray sirrah?

That is a yummy looking dish though dralla. You don't fancy being my kitchen slave do you? No? Oh well, can't hurt to try.

* i has the Firefox British English Dictionary enabled but it flags this up as an error, smh.

EDIT - it really helps if one reads the add on's notes and actually bloody well enables it! smh

dralla

:eek: I do not think I've ever seen any of them in my friendly neighbourhood* supermarket. From whence do they come, pray sirrah?

That is a yummy looking dish though dralla. You don't fancy being my kitchen slave do you? No? Oh well, can't hurt to try.

* i has the Firefox British English Dictionary enabled but it flags this up as an error, smh.

EDIT - it really helps if one reads the add on's notes and actually bloody well enables it! smh
My local supermarket carries them, green and yellow, and an occasional fully ripened black one. I would assume most supermarkets carry them, I know they carry them in Whole Foods if you have one near you. Can't decide if I like the green or yellow ones better. You can eat the yellow ones raw which is nice, but they become really sweet when you cook them.

Grilled one today, paleo friendly burger and fries.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Sorry, but what is EVOO
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

My local supermarket carries them, green and yellow, and an occasional fully ripened black one. I would assume most supermarkets carry them, I know they carry them in Whole Foods if you have one near you. Can't decide if I like the green or yellow ones better. You can eat the yellow ones raw which is nice, but they become really sweet when you cook them.

Grilled one today, paleo friendly burger and fries.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

You are making me hungry with all your scrummy looking pics; stop it!

Please don't; I always enjoy seeing your food pics; it inspires me :).

Well I'm in the UK so your local would be several thousand miles away from me. However, my partner [who is a restaurateur, amongst other things] tells me that I could get them from West Indian orientated markets in London but since that's 100+ miles away I'll put them on the back burner until we have a pied-à-terre in London.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Or it is the NPC player assistant in a crappy game e.g. Enhanced Vehicular Organisational Orator.

[Please feel free to ignore the above comment as an embittered comment on crappy game design]

FryHole

You are making me hungry with all your scrummy looking pics; stop it!

Please don't; I always enjoy seeing your food pics; it inspires me :).

Well I'm in the UK so your local would be several thousand miles away from me. However, my partner [who is a restaurateur, amongst other things] tells me that I could get them from West Indian orientated markets in London but since that's 100+ miles away I'll put them on the back burner until we have a pied-à-terre in London.

Or it is the NPC player assistant in a crappy game e.g. Enhanced Vehicular Organisational Orator.

[Please feel free to ignore the above comment as an embittered comment on crappy game design]

Tesco sell plantains :)

I've come to the startling realisation that raw coconut milk almost has the consistency and taste like ice cream. It's pretty amazing. I could really get addicted to this.

Top Bottom