• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

so I bought up big for a four day weekend to start ketosis.

Lots of meat, green veges, butter, sour cream, thickened cream, and cheese.

Costs a fortune to live like a cave man - about $150 for food which will get me through to about 6 or so days away.

FryHole

That's my problem as well. It damn expensive to eat good protein and fat.

What meat are you guys eating? Maybe it depends where you're living, but here in the UK the best, fatty cuts of meat like lamb breast and pork belly are cheap as chips - you actually pay more for lean cuts. A few blocks of butter and a big box of eggs and you're well on your way to covering a fair portion of your weekly calories. It's the fruit and veg that makes the grocery bill mount up for me, but still two of us are eating well on about £65 a week, which Google leads me to believe is about $105.

Which is why thus diet is ridiculous. Paleolithic peoplw ate less about 35% protiens, fat a little lower. Carbs will always be the main.

To combat modern food trends of animal farming we need to eat more fruits and veggies. Not more animal fats and proteins.

FryHole

Which is why thus diet is ridiculous. Paleolithic peoplw ate less about 35% protiens, fat a little lower. Carbs will always be the main.

To combat modern food trends of animal farming we need to eat more fruits and veggies. Not more animal fats and proteins.

Real issues with the diet are a) contra to your statement we don't really know what Paleolithic people ate and b) a catch-all grouping like 'Paleolithic people' given the widen range humanity covered at the time is ridiculous. Your second sentence, of course, is more about politics and ethics than human health.

Nikodemos

That's wrong on two counts. 1) there's no such thing as wild grains. The seeds of wild Gramineae are tiny; they have extremely little food value (they contain a lot of indigestible fibrous material) and are difficult to gather. 2) even with plant husbandry (the type of indirect agriculture First Nations people practiced before the Europeans came along) you run into the immutable seasonality of fruits and vegetables. The only plant matter available to a hunter/forager culture from late autumn - early spring are tubers (usually stored in sand, in pots), dried fruit (from autumn's harvest), nuts (but they eventually become rancid) and blettings (fruits that are inedible/toxic when ripe, left on the tree to freeze in order to become consumable). So there really wasn't the abundance of carbs a lot of modern pseudo-scientists pretend to have uncovered.

That's politics and agro-industrial subsidies (politics again). And animal fats and protein are no more inethical than the vast tracts of grassland/scrubland/forest destroyed to make room for orchards and fields of cereals/vegetables (which are then eroded to shit because, hey, no natural barriers; also eutrophication and pesticide overuse).

Nikodemos

You guys need to take more bio anthro courses.
Science is on my skepticism.
I try to stay away from 'expert' opinions on anthropology. It's a field chock-full of cultural, social and personal prejudices presented as fact or proof towards a position. Historically, it has always been thus.

FryHole

You guys need to take more bio anthro courses.
Science is on my skepticism.

Well, I don't understand the line "science is on my skepticism", but honestly, this is a weak response. How do you know what kind of background the people you're arguing with are coming from? I work in biology/genetics - this is just an outside interest thing for me, so maybe I am miles off base. But I know how to read papers, and this is the kind of stuff I read:

http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4419-6733-6/page/1

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/3/682.short

From the latter

[A] high reliance on animal-based foods coupled with the relatively low carbohydrate content of wild plant foods produces universally characteristic macronutrient consumption ratios in which protein is elevated (19–35% of energy) at the expense of carbohydrates (22–40% of energy).
Although the adoption of an increased P-A subsistence ratio by increasing plant-food consumption appears to be the simplest solution to the dietary protein ceiling, data from the Ethnographic Atlas (Figure 1A⇑) clearly indicate that this approach was not the preferred solution by worldwide hunter-gatherers, even when plant-food resources would have been available year round at lower latitudes
the solution preferred by most worldwide hunter-gatherers to circumvent excess dietary protein would likely have been a relative increase in total dietary fat from animal foods

And beyond that, as I think I've said before, ultimately the accuracy or not of the anthropological studies has no bearing on how I choose to eat, because I prefer to rely on properly controlled studies performed on modern humans that show what actually bloody happens when you feed them various macronutrient ratios, not what might have happened to cavedude 20,000 years ago or what some fringe hunter-gatherer tribe subsists on because all the good food is either extinct or out of reach.

Nikodemos

And beyond that, as I think I've said before, ultimately the accuracy or not of the anthropological studies has no bearing on how I choose to eat, because I prefer to rely on properly controlled studies performed on modern humans that show wwhat actually bloody happens when you feed them various macronutrient ratios, not what might have happened to cavedude 20,000 years ago or what some fringe hunter-gatherer tribe subsists on because all the good food is either extinct or out of reach.
Much more eloquently put than I would've managed.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
And beyond that, as I think I've said before, ultimately the accuracy or not of the anthropological studies has no bearing on how I choose to eat, because I prefer to rely on properly controlled studies performed on modern humans that show what actually bloody happens when you feed them various macronutrient ratios, not what might have happened to cavedude 20,000 years ago or what some fringe hunter-gatherer tribe subsists on because all the good food is either extinct or out of reach.

Wow, that's like exactly what I came in to post before reading through responses more carefully. Well done.

Attacking the historical legitimacy of the caveman's diet is one of ClassyPenguin's favorite straw man arguments against paleo/primal eating guidelines.

Wow, what a boring diet.

Mm, this english muffin with dark chocolate peanut butter is so good.

80/20 rule man. Nothing wrong in indulging in something like that. Although since the english muffin is just a vessel for the chocolate + PB, I'd prefer the spread on its own and skip the extras *shrug*

Ryck

Been a while since I posted here. Finally got to 100 pounds lost, this diet has been great for me. Started Feb 1st ( strict) so eight months in total on the diet.
Thanks again to all the people who contribute to this thread with good info. In a lot of ways this thread has changed my life so thank you guys truly.

100 was my original goal but now that I have gotten to it I just want to keep going.

What meat are you guys eating? Maybe it depends where you're living, but here in the UK the best, fatty cuts of meat like lamb breast and pork belly are cheap as chips - you actually pay more for lean cuts. A few blocks of butter and a big box of eggs and you're well on your way to covering a fair portion of your weekly calories. It's the fruit and veg that makes the grocery bill mount up for me, but still two of us are eating well on about £65 a week, which Google leads me to believe is about $105.

I live in Australia which is probably more expensive for food than anywhere else in the world.

Also, I like meat and will pay for good cuts. I pay anywhere between $20-30 a kilo.

I suppose I was complaining about the expensive grocery bill, but I can afford it luckily. Also, I justify the cost by thinking that it will cost me money to eat better and lose some weight i.e. I dont have a problem with paying extra to lose weight.

However, it was my previous grocery bill was about half as much.

Hang on, you say the diet is ridiculous because of the price or what it consists of?

I dont really care if a cave man did eat similar to this or not. What I do know is that when I tried the diet a couple of years back, I lost about 15kg in 3 months. When I went off it, I put it all back on (over the course of 2.5years).

I'm overweight and honestly, whether it was was called "cave man diet", "paleo diet", or "fairy diet" I would still be trying it out as it makes me lose weight.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is fríed bacon good as a snack?

McLovin

I'm at 252lbs today. They lowest I've ever been in the last 12 years(highschool days). This diet is amazing, I don't think I'm ever going to stop. Its really good not having sugar/carb cravings... like ever. I'm also hitting the gym again and even started running (ran for 20 minutes non-stop without even getting winded - I usually lose it at 10min) and I don't think I've lost any strength at all. I tried to cheat a few weeks ago and got crazy diarrhea so I pretty much lost interest in food that isn't good for me.

I've been enjoying my breakfast in particular, I made a switch to turkey bacon (Applegate (cruelty free) turkey bacon) and its so damn good. I know you're thinking turkey bacon is gross but trust me this stuff is different. Its a little on the expensive side too but I think its worth it.

Is fríed bacon good as a snack?
I don't know if its a good snack, but its ok to eat for breakfast.

I'm at 252lbs today. They lowest I've ever been in the last 12 years(highschool days). This diet is amazing, I don't think I'm ever going to stop. Its really good not having sugar/carb cravings... like ever. I'm also hitting the gym again and even started running (ran for 20 minutes non-stop without even getting winded - I usually lose it at 10min) and I don't think I've lost any strength at all. I tried to cheat a few weeks ago and got crazy diarrhea so I pretty much lost interest in food that isn't good for me.

I've been enjoying my breakfast in particular, I made a switch to turkey bacon (Applegate (cruelty free) turkey bacon) and its so damn good. I know you're thinking turkey bacon is gross but trust me this stuff is different. Its a little on the expensive side too but I think its worth it.

I don't know if its a good snack, but its ok to eat for breakfast.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Applegate has been my go to brand for everything, they are a little more expensive, but their bacon in particular is nitrate free and uncured, it's also delicious.

I need to eat healthier. But one thing I always wondered about this diet: how do you explain Japan? That entire country is the exact opposite of paleo, with tons of rice and soy consumption even though both are specifically excluded from this diet. And yet Japan has far less obesity and a much longer life span.

ch0mp

I need to eat healthier. But one thing I always wondered about this diet: how do you explain Japan? That entire country is the exact opposite of paleo, with tons of rice and soy consumption even though both are specifically excluded from this diet. And yet Japan has far less obesity and a much longer life span.
Assuming a diet of rice, vegetables and fish or meat, fermented soy.... it's a good way to eat. Nothing to explain I think; much lower sugar and PUFA consumption.

Enzon

So is this diet good for losing weight?. I have been obese for a really long time and i'm tired of it, i'm like 242 lbs. Should i follow this diet or some variation of it?. I'm kinda lost since i don't have very good habits ):

FryHole

So is this diet good for losing weight?. I have been obese for a really long time and i'm tired of it, i'm like 242 lbs. Should i follow this diet or some variation of it?. I'm kinda lost since i don't have very good habits ):

It's certainly worth a go - what is considered a 'Paleo' diet varies from person to person with differing levels of strictness, but by and large it tends to come out as a whole foods diet emphasising meat, fish, nuts, fruit and vegetables with a bit of carbohydrate moderation (as high carb foods tend to be grain based) and a preference for favouring fats as a calorie source. People will argue forever and a day about the accuracy or relevance of reconstructing the eating habits of paleolithic humans, but ignore all that - as diets go, you could do a damn sight worse than what I just described. It may particularly help you if you've already tried and failed to lose weight through calorie restriction and exercise.

If you want somewhere to get started, Mark's Daily Apple is probably the least controversial place and has a nice emphasis on overall lifestyle changes and not freaking out about the details.

Enzon

It's certainly worth a go - what is considered a 'Paleo' diet varies from person to person with differing levels of strictness, but by and large it tends to come out as a whole foods diet emphasising meat, fish, nuts, fruit and vegetables with a bit of carbohydrate moderation (as high carb foods tend to be grain based) and a preference for favouring fats as a calorie source. People will argue forever and a day about the accuracy or relevance of reconstructing the eating habits of paleolithic humans, but ignore all that - as diets go, you could do a damn sight worse than what I just described. It may particularly help you if you've already tried and failed to lose weight through calorie restriction and exercise.

If you want somewhere to get started, Mark's Daily Apple is probably the least controversial place and has a nice emphasis on overall lifestyle changes and not freaking out about the details.

Thanks! i'll give it a go

Pyrokai

Hey guys!

How's it going??

Just wanted to drop in and say that I fell out of paleo for a while, but now I'm back on the horse AND doing some serious exercising, so I've been simultaneously eating paleo and increasing my protein intake in hopes to build muscle.

I still owe it to you guys that I can so easily "jump back" into paleo when I want or need to, though. I just need to stop slipping out of it when tempting things come my way :p

So thanks again. How's everyone doing with their food?

Ryck

So thanks again. How's everyone doing with their food?
Food has been going great, only problem for me is I hit a hell of a plateau. I lost 100 pounds in about 8 months and in the past two months I have only lost about 6pounds. I have heard people say things like "your body will drop it when it's ready" and stuff like that... I guess I'm just kinda miffed. I weighed myself at the end of Nov and I had lost a whole 3 pounds that month, kept thinking "I missed out on Thanksgiving for this?"

Hope everyone is doing well and makes it through the holidays. ( this is the hardest time to be on a diet)

Malvolio

CBS Sports has a series of articles on nutrition in the NBA with a pretty heavy focus on the Paleo diet and it's effects. Sounds like this diet might finally move out of the fad stage. I know it's done wonders for me and has moved from "diet" to lifestyle.

Link to the first article.

diaspora

While I've done well in moving away from grains for my lunches and dinners, my Raisin Bran + almond milk breakfast will have to be taken from my cold, dead hands.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
While I've done well in moving away from grains for my lunches and dinners, my Raisin Bran + almond milk breakfast will have to be taken from my cold, dead hands.

If anything, you should be having that for dinner.

Of course, I subscribe to the more cyclical ketogenic diet as described by folks like John Kiefer, where it's far better to eat fat and protein only in the first part of the day and end your day with carbs (or just have carbs one night per week if you want to be ketogenic for longer).

Pyrokai

Hey guys....I have a pretty tough question....or at least I don't know what to think of it.

I am doing P90X workout routines and loving it, but I've hit a problem I don't know how to solve. I figured if Paleo is the way to go, I should be fine. But...here is my problem as I posted it in the Beachbody thread:

Recently, I've been pittering out 3/4ths of the way through workouts. I just lose all my energy and become very weak, even shakey. Am I not eating enough? I'm not entirely sure if I'm eating enough, but I try to eat as much as I can. I'm not really losing any fat so I think I'm still eating enough, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

In phase 1, I was able to do the main workout + Ab Ripper conescutively, but two days ago I skipped Ab Ripper for the first time, and today I did Legs & Back and I'm going to do ab ripper later today. First time I've ever split it up. Is this a bad idea? I thought maybe I could get some more energy and then do it instead of having a craptastic Ab Ripper session that does me no good.

Not sure what to think. In general, I feel like I'm getting worse at the routines and have less energy, and my motivation is slipping away because of this.

And if it helps, my diet is very clean.

I was told this:

You're low on blood sugar. It could be because you're not eating enough carbohydrate and your liver is out of glycogen. Or it could be that you have poor response to exercise and need to get fit over time. Like the first time you run in months is an awful experience but then something adapts, independent of having enough glycogen.

When I run into this, I just take a few minutes break. I remember doing this frequently with P90X2's Base & Back the first 6 or so times I did it.

Take it seriously because running low on blood sugar while it's high in demand body wide means your brain is running on low power mode. You'll get dizzy, delirious, and not be able to think well in general.

I really, really don't know where to go from here. My fundamental view on Paleo is changing because of this. Isn't the idea of Paleo to HAVE low blood sugar/insulin? How in the world do I solve this problem from a Paleo viewpoint? I don't want to start eating a plethora of simple carbs that clash with Paleo in order to make it through some workouts if there is a Paleo-answer to this problem

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys....I have a pretty tough question....or at least I don't know what to think of it.

I am doing P90X workout routines and loving it, but I've hit a problem I don't know how to solve. I figured if Paleo is the way to go, I should be fine. But...here is my problem as I posted it in the Beachbody thread:

Recently, I've been pittering out 3/4ths of the way through workouts. I just lose all my energy and become very weak, even shakey. Am I not eating enough? I'm not entirely sure if I'm eating enough, but I try to eat as much as I can. I'm not really losing any fat so I think I'm still eating enough, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

In phase 1, I was able to do the main workout + Ab Ripper conescutively, but two days ago I skipped Ab Ripper for the first time, and today I did Legs & Back and I'm going to do ab ripper later today. First time I've ever split it up. Is this a bad idea? I thought maybe I could get some more energy and then do it instead of having a craptastic Ab Ripper session that does me no good.

Not sure what to think. In general, I feel like I'm getting worse at the routines and have less energy, and my motivation is slipping away because of this.

And if it helps, my diet is very clean.

I was told this:

You're low on blood sugar. It could be because you're not eating enough carbohydrate and your liver is out of glycogen. Or it could be that you have poor response to exercise and need to get fit over time. Like the first time you run in months is an awful experience but then something adapts, independent of having enough glycogen.

When I run into this, I just take a few minutes break. I remember doing this frequently with P90X2's Base & Back the first 6 or so times I did it.

Take it seriously because running low on blood sugar while it's high in demand body wide means your brain is running on low power mode. You'll get dizzy, delirious, and not be able to think well in general.

I really, really don't know where to go from here. My fundamental view on Paleo is changing because of this. Isn't the idea of Paleo to HAVE low blood sugar/insulin? How in the world do I solve this problem from a Paleo viewpoint? I don't want to start eating a plethora of simple carbs that clash with Paleo in order to make it through some workouts if there is a Paleo-answer to this problem

You don't have to (and probably shouldn't) follow Paleo strictly and 100% of the time. 80/20 rule is pretty applicable here. For an active lifestyle, avoiding most non-veggie carbs is not advisable IMO. Don't go out and eat a bunch of cookies and Snickers bars, but some sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, etc on workout days isn't going to kill you, and you'll probably feel a lot better and have more energy during your training.

Bought gluten free Italian bread crumbs cuz it was on clearance.

I dipped chicken legs in seasoned egg wash then the crumbs. Then baked in the oven on some parchment paper at 400 degrees for about 50 mins.

it was the best "fried" chicken I had. Came out really great. I wanna try it with party wings.

Bought gluten free Italian bread crumbs cuz it was on clearance.

I dipped chicken legs in seasoned egg wash then the crumbs. Then baked in the oven on some parchment paper at 400 degrees for about 50 mins.

it was the best "fried" chicken I had. Came out really great. I wanna try it with party wings.

That actually sounds pretty good.

I've always wanted to try the paleo diet, but I don't know if a poor college student has the money for something like that :x

TheExodu5

Banned
Is butter allowed on paleo?

Girlfriend and I are going on paleo but her panphlet says no butter...even though I think that's kind of silly. Not that it would be such a big deal to use coconut oil as a substitute, but butter would be good for frying eggs and making pan sauces.

Girlfriend and I are going on paleo but her panphlet says no butter...even though I think that's kind of silly. Not that it would be such a big deal to use coconut oil as a substitute, but butter would be good for frying eggs and making pan sauces.

Technically, no, but many will still eat butter from grass fed cows; Kerrygold, for example. Butter is allowed in primal (same as paleo but allows dairy in moderation) though, and primal > paleo. And eggs cooked in coconut oil are good. Try it.

Technically, no, but many will still eat butter from grass fed cows; Kerrygold, for example. Butter is allowed in primal (same as paleo but allows dairy in moderation) though, and primal > paleo. And eggs cooked in coconut oil are good. Try it.

Primal opts in favor of full fat cultured dairy, which I really like the idea of, because good bacteria is very important for our immune systems. I don't have much dairy outside of Kerrygold butter, but something like Kefir or a full fat Fage yogurt wouldn't hurt every now and then. I'd avoid skim milk products.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Use it liberally. The only real reason for rejecting it ("our ancestors didn't have it") is dumb.

Primal opts in favor of full fat cultured dairy, which I really like the idea of, because good bacteria is very important for our immune systems. I don't have much dairy outside of Kerrygold butter, but something like Kefir or a full fat Fage yogurt wouldn't hurt every now and then. I'd avoid skim milk products.

Yeah skim milk should be outright banned. The worst is when I see parents giving their children low fat/skim milk. The whole animal fat = bad way of thinking really needs to die.

I can no longer find full fat yogurt of any kind near me. The most is 10%, but pretty much everything is either 2% or non-fat. Shit is maddening.

Yeah skim milk should be outright banned. The worst is when I see parents giving their children low fat/skim milk. The whole animal fat = bad way of thinking really needs to die.

I can no longer find full fat yogurt of any kind near me. The most is 10%, but pretty much everything is either 2% or non-fat. Shit is maddening.

Skim milk offers basically nothing useful

Of the 12 or so supermarkets in my area, there is one that sells the Fage Total (full fat) I can only buy that in the bulk 2lb tub. I throw some in my morning smoothie, with mixed berries.

Speaking of which, raspberries are loaded with fiber, and I strongly advise those, bcause their net carb ratio is really good and they taste delicious.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Whole milk is around 4% so 10% is quite high for yogurt. That's getting to half-and-half territory.

nateeasy

Banned
I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and my doctor suggested this diet to help with it. So I started on Paleo last week. I already feel better. Three pounds lost. A local chef makes paleo meals in mass then delivers them. So much better than anything I could make. I plan on doing this for at least a month and then deciding if I want to make it a permanent thing.

Dre

It's definitely not bullshit, because the diet works for a lot of people and is sustainable.

Granted the whole hunter-gatherer and caveman stuff is exaggerated and may or may not be false, but you have to see it from a different perspective. It's just a romantic narrative to sell books and convey the message and shouldn't be taken at face value.
People are more easily hooked to something when it's sugar coated (pun intended) with a story, even if this means that history/science has to be stretched a little to get them off shit like soda and processed junk from your friendly multinational food and beverage company.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to bump this, but this diet is complete total bullshit. It's not even based on real science.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/...is-is-what-ancestral-menu-really-looked-like/

That article doesn't debunk a thing... it's a rambling mess, honestly.

With that said, of course Paleo the brand is bullshit. The core philosophy of structuring a diet around whole foods that are highly nutritious is sound, though. It's when you go past that, and get into the minutia and branded goods, zealots, etc. that you run into the craziness.

TheContact

The thing about Paleo diets is that if you're comparing yourself to cavemen, they didn't eat nearly as often as we do. I doubt cavemen ate every day

That article doesn't debunk a thing... it's a rambling mess, honestly.

With that said, of course Paleo the brand is bullshit. The core philosophy of structuring a diet around whole foods that are highly nutritious is sound, though. It's when you go past that, and get into the minutia and branded goods, zealots, etc. that you run into the craziness.

Yeah this is the difficult part to convey to people when trying to explain Paleo. It's not Atkins, you don't eat steak and bacon all day. The other half is the lifestyle aspect of trying to get people to not live such sedentary lifestyles. The core principles are sound, it's just the only thing you hear about are the zealots out there who are misguided. And then the articles that "debunk" Paleo are basically using the zealots and strawmen to base their argument against.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The thing about Paleo diets is that if you're comparing yourself to cavemen, they didn't eat nearly as often as we do. I doubt cavemen ate every day

Most likely not. It almost certainly wasn't three well-timed meals every day. I'm sure there were times of abundance and times of sparsity depending on a wide range of factors.

Yeah this is the difficult part to convey to people when trying to explain Paleo. It's not Atkins, you don't eat steak and bacon all day. The other half is the lifestyle aspect of trying to get people to not live such sedentary lifestyles. The core principles are sound, it's just the only thing you hear about are the zealots out there who are misguided. And then the articles that "debunk" Paleo are basically using the zealots and strawmen to base their argument against.

Pretty much. Striking down zealots is fun and all, but it takes a special kind of person to attack a lifestyle that encourages a diet of nutritious whole foods and more activity outside, in nature.

Top Bottom