• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

COCONUT MILK

trnningsmilepleogmlst23sqt.jpg

Y U SO GUD!?

This shit right here will be the end of me. I could consume a whole can of this everyday if my budget allowed it.

Bombadil

Banned
it's much better for you than soy too

What's wrong with soy?

Also, I don't want to eat beef anymore, but I need a good source of zinc.

Is there a practical way of getting zinc outside of eating beef or expensive amounts of scallops?

I've tried pumpkin seeds. But I'd have to eat several cups worth to get a daily amount.

I read that zinc supplements generally don't work. They don't get absorbed.

So what should I do?

Edit: Also, my egg question was not answered. To eat or not to eat, Gaf?

Johnas

What's wrong with soy?

Is there a practical way of getting zinc outside of eating beef or expensive amounts of scallops?

I've tried pumpkin seeds. But I'd have to eat several cups worth to get a daily amount.

So what should I do?

Eggs are amazing, go for it. Cage-free (or local farm fresh) are much higher quality. I have a couple of sources for farm fresh eggs. One of the few ways to obtain selenium.

I'm not sure that beef is a good zinc source. Various shellfish (shrimp, oysters, crab) work well. I eat canned oysters and occasionally canned crab, along with fresh shrimp.

Soy is an estrogen. In other words, avoid it.

injurai

Banned
What's wrong with soy?

So what should I do?

It contains estrogen.

Bombadil

Banned
Eggs are amazing, go for it. Cage-free (or local farm fresh) are much higher quality. I have a couple of sources for farm fresh eggs. One of the few ways to obtain selenium.

I'm not sure that beef is a good zinc source. Various shellfish (shrimp, oysters, crab) work well. I eat canned oysters and occasionally canned crab, along with fresh shrimp.

Soy is an estrogen. In other words, avoid it.

It contains estrogen.

I know soy is an estrogen, but large scale studies have shown that soy consumption is associated with a decreased risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer.

My mom drinks soy milk. She's 58. She's been drinking it for years because of high cholesterol.

What should she drink? Almond milk?

injurai

Banned
I know soy is an estrogen, but large scale studies have shown that soy consumption is associated with a decreased risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer.

My mom drinks soy milk. She's 58. She's been drinking it for years because of high cholesterol.

fuck almond milk

drink coconut milk

Bombadil

Banned
fuck almond milk

drink coconut milk

What's wrong with almond milk?

Isn't coconut milk a laxative?

Edit: Also, I googled "soy health risks" and the biggest mouthpiece for that position is a "health guru" named Joseph Mercola who is anti-vaccine and thinks people should drink unpasteurized milk.

Edit 2: He also thinks HIV doesn't cause AIDS. He thinks AIDS is caused by psychological stress.

Oh, I guess he is a doctor. Though I would revoke his license.

He also has his own website and sells stuff from it. He calls himself a doctor.

EAT

Don't even question it. EAT.

I think your mother has nothing to worry about, considering estrogen is a female sex hormone. It's practically ideal for her in some sense.

H3xum

Few years ago I dropped about 120lbs following ketosis, maintaining around 20g of carbs a day, essentially from veggies in eggs in the morning and a small salad at dinner. Did that strict for about 6 months then gradually upped it to the point where I was at/around 60-80 carbs a day, mostly all still from veggies, occasional whole grain. Lifted during that time, got my body fat down from around 36% to 14%, everything was going great but then life got in the way, as it does. I've been trying to maintain for the last 6 or so months by just being on a caloric diet and avoiding sugars (with the exception of natural fruit/vegie sugars) but found myself retaining a ton of water weight and generally still feeling bloated more than I should.

I don't want to do keto again because quite frankly I don't have the time to dedicate to making meal plans, keeping my proteins/fats/carbs at certain %'s, so on and so forth, so I'm thinking paleo is for me.

In principal it's similar to the keto, so the biggest hurdle (getting over eating a bunch of meat and staying away from wheats and grains) is already behind me, but I have a few general questions, mostly regarding fruits/snacking/preparations.

1. I skimmed and see that fruit is generally accepted. For the last 6 months a half hour prior to working out (heavy lifting 3 times a week) I have an apple. After dinner to curb my hunger, I'll have a handful of berries, generally blueberries/black berries. I also love grapes and nanas. Now, am I better off skipping them all together? Are they ok but only 1 a day, a serving every few days, etc etc. What are the overall best fruits to fall in line with the diet?

2. So still in the keto mindset, I know the natural sugars in veggies pretty well. I wasn't allowed to have peas or carrots and my favorite things like brussel sprouts, I was only allowed to have in moderation. Are all veggies free game (with the obvious exception of potatoes)? I read that sweet potatoes are ok :-O magical if true.

3. What about butter? How do you guys saute your veggies for your morning omelets? Olive oil seems like it would make my eggies taste weird.

4. I love eggs more than anyone else, but sometimes they get boring....breakfast alternatives?

TLDR: Coming with a ketosis background so used to low carbs, but not sure about fruits and certain veggies. Are fruits ok? How many servings a day? Can I eat my precious carrots and brussel sprouts again? BUTTTTTERRRR?

On sunday evening I had a salad
On tuesday night a 100cal Ice cream Sandwich
Wed. evening 4 small pieces of pineapple

Why is this happening
Why don't i want food now

You did this to me gaf

Shadders

I'm going to start Paleo thanks to the OP, it really sounds like a positive plan.

One thing though, I do like to drink, so my question is could I still drink Mojitos?

It's rum, lime (fresh), mint and soda water, I'm assuming the last three ingredients are fine, but will the rum ruin my Paleo plan?

FryHole

I'm going to start Paleo thanks to the OP, it really sounds like a positive plan.

One thing though, I do like to drink, so my question is could I still drink Mojitos?

It's rum, lime (fresh), mint and soda water, I'm assuming the last three ingredients are fine, but will the rum ruin my Paleo plan?

Spirits are a good choice of booze, I think - as they're distilled they're almost entirely alcohol, no sugar. I like a G&T.

Turok_TTZ

Few years ago I dropped about 120lbs following ketosis, maintaining around 20g of carbs a day, essentially from veggies in eggs in the morning and a small salad at dinner. Did that strict for about 6 months then gradually upped it to the point where I was at/around 60-80 carbs a day, mostly all still from veggies, occasional whole grain. Lifted during that time, got my body fat down from around 36% to 14%, everything was going great but then life got in the way, as it does. I've been trying to maintain for the last 6 or so months by just being on a caloric diet and avoiding sugars (with the exception of natural fruit/vegie sugars) but found myself retaining a ton of water weight and generally still feeling bloated more than I should.

I don't want to do keto again because quite frankly I don't have the time to dedicate to making meal plans, keeping my proteins/fats/carbs at certain %'s, so on and so forth, so I'm thinking paleo is for me.

In principal it's similar to the keto, so the biggest hurdle (getting over eating a bunch of meat and staying away from wheats and grains) is already behind me, but I have a few general questions, mostly regarding fruits/snacking/preparations.

1. I skimmed and see that fruit is generally accepted. For the last 6 months a half hour prior to working out (heavy lifting 3 times a week) I have an apple. After dinner to curb my hunger, I'll have a handful of berries, generally blueberries/black berries. I also love grapes and nanas. Now, am I better off skipping them all together? Are they ok but only 1 a day, a serving every few days, etc etc. What are the overall best fruits to fall in line with the diet?

2. So still in the keto mindset, I know the natural sugars in veggies pretty well. I wasn't allowed to have peas or carrots and my favorite things like brussel sprouts, I was only allowed to have in moderation. Are all veggies free game (with the obvious exception of potatoes)? I read that sweet potatoes are ok :-O magical if true.

3. What about butter? How do you guys saute your veggies for your morning omelets? Olive oil seems like it would make my eggies taste weird.

4. I love eggs more than anyone else, but sometimes they get boring....breakfast alternatives?

TLDR: Coming with a ketosis background so used to low carbs, but not sure about fruits and certain veggies. Are fruits ok? How many servings a day? Can I eat my precious carrots and brussel sprouts again? BUTTTTTERRRR?

1. Most if not all fruits are fine, just consume in moderation (don't go overboard). In my case I eat as much fruit as I want lol.

2. actually, most veggies are fine as long as they aren't legumes or heavy on the starch. for some peeps, nightshades are also off limits. Brussel sprouts and carrots are perfectly fine.
in the case of potatoes, probably best not to consume. However, if you are physically active, potatoes are allowed. I'm in the opinion one should not go for starchy veggies unless one is physically active. but as always, ymmv.

3. grass fed butter seems acceptable for most. In my case I use organic coconut oil and not so often olive oil.

4. I recall having 1 banana, a cup of grapes, a lot of carrots, cauliflower, broccoli for breakfast. other times steak and eggs with veggies that elude my memory. my preferred breakfast atm is 1 banana, a cup of almonds, an orange/tangerine/mandarin, bacon or quality sausage. I once had a filet mignon with broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, and an apple for breakfast. try one of these out.

I am reminded I need to have myself a ny strip soon.

1) I don't shy away from any fruits or veggies for fear of carb intake, but I am at the gym at some capacity for 6 days a week. I love tropical fruits like melon and pineapple this time of year. I think if you are active and have a proper diet with everything else, fruits are not going to harm you.

2) I eat all veggies, especially sweet potato and carrots. I think the benefits outweigh any negative, which I can't imagine. One day a week I will even go starch heavy and have an evil red potato. I'm cool with tubers as well like yucca.

3) If you can afford it and find it, Kerrygold butter, imported from Ireland and the cows are grass fed. They make a cheese out of this too that I will have twice a week with my eggs.

4)sometimes i will have an apple and Applegate Farms breakfast sausage, or some other nitrate free/ uncured meat that they sell. I'm a big fan of their products, if you can find them, try it out. I also skip breakfast 2 days a week just to make my ancestral self think I wasn't successful in hunting and gathering. Those nights I may have a very big dinner, which goes along with intermittent fasting.

BizzyBum

I get high 2 to 3 times every week. Been paleo for 3+ years.

Any tips?

I find if I don't smoke I can easily have the willpower to just have grilled chicken or salmon with vegetables and water. As soon as I get high that stuff becomes seemingly inedible and I crave candy, soda, fast food, etc.

Can anyone point me towards a good online carb calculator please?

I'm looking for something that tells me that if I eat 'x' amount of 'y' food e.g. apple, it will give me 'z' in weight of carbs.

I have done some googling but just got a succession of crappy sites that didn't give me what I was looking for.

McLovin

I started paleo on monday and was pretty hungry. Today I wasn't hungry at all, I also noticed me elbows felt super smooth. They are usually like sand paper. Went to the gym and felt surprisingly strong.

Fat people keep asking me how I lost weight, and I keep recommending low carb/paleo. They'll listen and acknowledge that it sounds like a good idea, then go back to eating as before and they'll remain fat (and pretty miserable about it). Trying to help people out just feels like a waste of time. I guess most people really don't want to shake their sugar addiction. Pretty discouraging though.

Dash27

I think it's tougher for some people. You also need to be in the right frame of mind to make a serious change like this.

The crappy foods are easy and ubiquitous, made to taste good too. I think ultimately the "good" foods are better all around. Quality, taste, satiety... but it does take a bit more effort than your standard fast food or microwavable meal.

McLovin

I started paleo on monday and was pretty hungry. Today I wasn't hungry at all, I also noticed me elbows felt super smooth. They are usually like sand paper. Went to the gym and felt surprisingly strong.
I've been loosing a little less then a pound a day, started working out and lost a little more. Then all of a sudden I lost 4 yesterday for no reason... I didn't even poop o_O
I eat great all day long, I love this diet!

So I've been doing my best to keep up with an eating style in the way of Paleo. However, most of the proteins I enjoy are greasy and fatty. I've been having galbladder issues since around February and just don't have the money for a removal surgery. Obviously more lean meat should suffice but I'd also have to give up cooking vegetables with butter.. something that has been a godsend for someone who hates vegetables. Any suggestions? I've all but replaced beef with buffalo in my diet. Also I'm not much of a fan of fish.

McLovin

Ok so, I've been losing a pound a day and occasionally I'll lose a little more.. and that was cool. But yesterday I lost 4 1/2 over night and went down a whole pant size. I literally tried these pants on yesterday and they wouldn't close, now they fit comfortably. Theres no way thats fat, I'm thinking I'm burning off muscle like crazy. I have less energy then normal and if I go to the gym I tend to run out of steam really quickly. I use to go 1 1/2 to 2 hours now I'm lucky if I last 1/2 a hour. I can't seem to ride my bike that long either(use to ride that for 4-5 hours down to 1). Anyone have some tips to stop the muscle loss? I've lost like 16lbs in 11 days FFS. I eat 3 full plates (veggies/meat), 2 fruits, and plenty of water.

for the past 3-4 months been using coconut oil and kerrygold butter.

now gonna take it up a notch by ordering some ghee and mct oil.

haven't been able to workout for the past 3 weeks though due to a shoulder injury. let my diet go by eating rice, bread, tons of junk, and probably gained 7-10 pounds.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Devolution makes me this all the time.

LWXeuVE.jpg

Salad (spinach, cherry tomatoes, feta, artichoke parmesan dressing)

topped with two quarter pound hamburger patties with pepperjack cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and a fried egg

IT'S SO GOOD.

Holy shit, Paleo-GAF. I've been cutting down the amount of carbs/sugar I eat over the past week or two (though still eating some), and everything was fine until this past Tuesday. I had NO energy whatsoever and kind of just dragged myself around the house all day and inadvertently fell asleep at one point. I ate some Cheerios that night and woke up the next day (yesterday) with tons of energy. Yesterday, I ate little to no carbs and this morning when I woke up was even worse than Tuesday. I felt weak, fatigued, lethargic, and just all around awful; like a severe flu but without the cold symptoms. I read in the OP about "low carb flu" and that's exactly what it felt like. I ate some more Cheerios and I feel so much better. What can I do to counteract carb withdrawal? Eat more foods high in fat, since that's where I need to begin getting my energy from? I know it's temporary, but I don't ever want to feel like that again; it was almost like I was in a coma.

Low carb flu wil affect you for a little while when you transition to smaller amount of carbs. Yes, high fat foods help (coconut, avacado etc.), maybe try sweet potatoes too. Eating Cheerios will put you right back at square 1.

Hilti92

Bumping as I am interested in doing this..
How many meals do you eat a day and is this good for gaining muscle? I was 145lbs and have went down to 135 so it's making me rethink my whole diet..

Nikodemos

I've been unconsciously shifting towards a 'paleo-style' diet (no bread/pasta/baked goods/processed oils/processed sugars) for some years now, based mainly on my weight variation corellated with my eating habits.

Unfortunately, it's difficult and expensive to maintain one, since decent meat is very pricy around here (and cheap meat is crap, especially poultry, which I dislike), and the cuisine contains a lot of pastes and spreads (which are usually presented as a canapé on toast).

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
how about this dinner for keto,
almost half an avocado, some lettuce, grounded beef (aournd 300 g) and one egg

is it to much?

MCT oil with my morning coffee has been throwing off my mojo. Serious crash around 5-6pm. It wouldn't happen with coffee without MCT.

Top Bottom