• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Pyrokai

Hey any of you guys on the paleo diet but also travel so much for work, how do you guys do it?

Five Guys has burger bowls and lettuce wraps (I get it with bacon and veggies). Jimmy John's has lettuce wraps (I get the Beach Club which comes with avacado). Chipotle burrito bowls (no rice/beans, the pork is the safest meat because it is not cooked in soybean oil, and I get guacamole plus sour cream and cheese if you eat dairy).

Those are by far the safest fast food joints I've found. If you need absolute fast food, I'm pretty sure Wendy's uses burgers that are pure beef with only salt added, so they might be the safest of the true fast food.

Laekon

Hey any of you guys on the paleo diet but also travel so much for work, how do you guys do it?
If traveling in the US I go to Whole Foods a lot cause of the salad/prepared food section. Lots of places have things like Cobb salads or just meat/fish and vegetables. Hell you can go to Panda Express and get something like beef and broccoli with a side of vegetables. You can't ever be perfect so no reason to stress out about things like a little less fat or to much salt.

thirty

Banned
Had a cheat day with my g/f today, because she's been craving a burger for a few days now...so I went along with her and got one. Bread tasted pretty damn good for the first couple of bites, then both of us felt like shit afterwards. I have no idea how I did it before. I got a soda along with it and I think I may have taken about 6 sips. I got sweet potato fries along with the meal but I was grossed out that it was fried. Ketchup also tastes terrible!! How the hell did I used to enjoy this stuff? Both of us agreed that the next cheat day will be a long time from now, but that they are probably necessary as a reminder of why we chose to get on this diet. It is very motivating.
yeah I had bread for the first time in weeks this morning. Had a fried egg sandwich using garlic bread. I did use my kerrygold garlic herb butter that I made myself and it tasted awesome but yeah, I've been feeling like shit for the past few hours.

Coconut oil will melt in your hands too. Its melting point is pretty low.

Also It's cheaper than regular oils? Where do you live? It's expensive here in Canada and only available in health conscious stores.

I live in Denmark. The common price for regular cooking oils here range from 20 - 40 DKK (thats approx 3,54$ - 7,09$ canadian dollars by todays currency exchange). I bought 2 with 250 ml, for 20 DKK (3,54$) each. Although I found a different shop that sells them for 18 DKK (3,19$).

I did find a special alternative coconut oil 400 ml, for 95 DKK (16,83$) in the organic department at my local super market. Thats quite expensive so I'll probably stick to the ones I can buy at the small exotic/middeleastern grocery stores that are around here.

Denmark is generally a pretty expensive country to live in, I don't know if my estimated canadian price is "high" or "low" for the product compared to the price in Canada?

FryHole

There's a new post about red meat by David Colquhoun, who I've linked to before, for anyone that's interested. He mentions the carnitine study. (bold emphasis is mine)

http://www.dcscience.net/?p=5935

The latest meat study to hit the headlines didn’t actually look at the effects of meat at all, though you wouldn’t guess that from the pictures of sausages in the headlines (not just in newspapers, but also in NHS Choices). The paper [reprint] was about carnitine, a substance that occurs particularly in beef, with lower amounts in pork and bacon, and in many other foods. The paper showed that bacteria in the gut can convert carnitine to a potentially toxic substance, trimethylamine oxide (TMAO). That harms blood vessels (at least in mice). But to show an effect in human subjects they were given an amount of carnitine equivalent to over 1 lb of steak, hardly normal, even in the USA.

The summary of the paper says it is an attempt to explain "the well-established link between high levels of red meat consumption and CVD [cardiovascular disease] risk". As we have just seen, it seems likely that this risk is far from being “well-established”. There is little or no such risk to explain.

It would be useful to have a diagnostic marker for heart disease, but this paper doesn’t show that carnitine or TMAO) is useful for that. It might also be noted that the authors have a maze of financial interests.

Last line is a bit of a cheap shot, IMO, but it's worth knowing - they are actively looking to establish a link because they have financial interests in diagnostic tools.

Dash27

^ Good post, hadnt seen those articles.

So, grilling season is upon us. I'm going with grilled chicken and eggplant today after work. So much easier for me to eat properly when I have a grill available.

There's a new post about red meat by David Colquhoun, who I've linked to before, for anyone that's interested. He mentions the carnitine study. (bold emphasis is mine)

http://www.dcscience.net/?p=5935

Last line is a bit of a cheap shot, IMO, but it's worth knowing - they are actively looking to establish a link because they have financial interests in diagnostic tools.

I can't comment on any of these articles with any authority but that Colquhoun guy seems to be a bit of a hack just from looking at his 'blog'. The apology he had to make to the one cancer researcher alone is brutal.

FryHole

I can't comment on any of these articles with any authority but that Colquhoun guy seems to be a bit of a hack just from looking at his 'blog'. The apology he had to make to the one cancer researcher alone is brutal.

Nah, he's legit - tenured professor in biochemistry pharmacology at UCL, cares deeply about proper evidence above all else. Massive lefty and can be a dick sometimes, but that apology is mostly the product of the UK's utterly insane libel laws.

dralla

I have discovered kale. So good.

I like red kale a lot better than green. You can sautee it in coconut milk and add coconut flour and make like a weird curry dish kinda thing.

--

so we sell ostrich eggs at whole foods now. I might pick one up next week, my last day I get %40 discount, each one is $40. The only problem is, they're HUGE, equal to 25-30 eggs, what am I gonna do with all that

20130414_194852.jpg

Pyrokai

I like red kale a lot better than green. You can sautee it in coconut milk and add coconut flour and make like a weird curry dish kinda thing.

Whoa......but I kinda like the bacon idea! I have bacon grease saved right now that I wanted to use. Sauteing kale in bacon grease seems like a no brainer. What spices would you guys recommend? I only have basil, rosemary, thyme, pepper, and garlic salt.

so we sell ostrich eggs at whole foods now. I might pick one up next week, my last day I get %40 discount, each one is $40. The only problem is, they're HUGE, equal to 25-30 eggs, what am I gonna do with all that

Have me over for breakfast.

Dash27

Wow 25-30 eggs? I could do breakfast for the family and then make a ton of egg salad or something.

I've been getting stuff from Kettlebell Kitchen through my gym. Paleo delivered. So far it's really good.

despire

So one of the main reasons I started paleo was that I have asthma and I hoped it would get better with paleo. I've now been eating strict paleo since mid-January with only two cheat weekends and no other non-paleo meals (that I'm aware of). Though I started eating butter few weeks ago and I consume quite a lot of it. Also recently started eating regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes.

But I'm a bit disappointed in that my asthma is pretty much the same as before. Anyone here who cured their asthma with paleo? I'd really like to know if there's something more I can do. I'm currently taking 350mg of magnesium and 100-150 ug (+4000U) of vitamin D daily.

Should I try to take nightshades (potato, tomatoes) of my diet? Should I stop eating butter again since I'm not sure if my asthma is a bit worse than it was month or so ago? Should I up Vit D to for example 35U per lbs which I've seen recommended?

Follow up to this post. It's now been few days since I took off potatoes and lactose-free butter from my menu since it seemed that they didn't help with my quest to get rid of asthma. Though I'm not sure if they were to blame for my intermittent asthma symptoms or something else. It is springtime and there's a lot of dust outside from all the gravel they been spreading all winter so there's that too.

The problem is that I really miss my baked potatoes drenched in delicious (lactose-free) butter. Sweet potatoes roasted in oil really don't taste nearly as good. What to do, what to do..?

CrankyJay

Banned
I gave up bacon and other salty processed meats :/

I did fry it with coconut oil and spinach and garlic powder today. Put it on top of chicken. I'll report later how it tastes.

it'll probably be slightly bitter. that's usually why i add a pinch of sugar (won't kill you) and some acid to brighten it up.

SeanR1221

it'll probably be slightly bitter. that's usually why i add a pinch of sugar (won't kill you) and some acid to brighten it up.

I actually didn't get any bitterness! Tastes great and blended in well with the spinach. Kale, spinach, broccoli and brussel sprouts are my bros.

Hey paleo-GAF.

Long story short, I was referred to a dietitian a few weeks ago. She put me on a primal diet (I can have plain yogurt and cheese, although I barely eat any at the moment) and I've been following the diet for about 2 weeks. She believes I may have SIBO so no starches, sugar, or grains for me.

I've been really good about following the diet, but I'm not feeling any better; in fact, my GI issues have gotten worse. I keep reading about how much better people feel after starting to eat paleo, but I'm still feeling like crap and it's a bit frustrating. Has this happened to anyone else just starting this diet? How long was it before you started feeling better?

Hey paleo-GAF.

Long story short, I was referred to a dietitian a few weeks ago. She put me on a primal diet (I can have plain yogurt and cheese, although I barely eat any at the moment) and I've been following the diet for about 2 weeks. She believes I may have SIBO so no starches, sugar, or grains for me.

I've been really good about following the diet, but I'm not feeling any better; in fact, my GI issues have gotten worse. I keep reading about how much better people feel after starting to eat paleo, but I'm still feeling like crap and it's a bit frustrating. Has this happened to anyone else just starting this diet? How long was it before you started feeling better?

I'm dealing with SIBO too. I felt bad for about 2 weeks. I had terrible stomach cramps in the beginning. Look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Its very similar to Paleo. I've been on the Paleo/Specific Carbohydrate Diet for about 8 weeks and I'm now starting to see some improvement. You may find that you are now sensitive to foods that you weren't sensitive to before you started the diet. Dairy, eggs, nuts, and foods high in natural sugar. I've had to eliminate all four in order to start feeling better. Probiotics help a lot. Look for one that doesn't contain a strain starting with bifid. I found out the hard way that the bifid strains tend to overgrow themselves. Giprohealth.com has alot of supplements approved for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I just started taking their acidophilus probiotic last week. The diet will kill off the bad bacteria, but you got to replace them with good bacteria to start feeling better.

Pyrokai

I think potatoes and rice are making a comeback for me (just on lifting days). I'll still stay under 150g of carbs though.

I've allowed them back in because I'm so skinny, and I feel so much better. Like, I feel like I needed to do that. I also eat things cooked in butter.

I still have about 1-2 cheat meals a week, but they aren't super bad or anything. I'm not as strict as I was at first, but I'm still pretty strict, I guess. Although budget and time have led me to eating FAR too many eggs and bacon meals. I really need to change that.

Also, I pretty much can't poop properly, guys. Been trying to eat things with fiber that aren't grains, and I'm failing miserably. I seriously don't know what to do. Also, I keep having random SEVERE stomach cramps where I've been doubled over in pain. Comes really fast, lasts 1-2 hours, then leaves just as fast. First time it happened I went to urgent care with basically no diagnosis because pain was gone by the time the doctor saw me. Could this be from introducing rice and potatoes back? Any help would be appreciated.

dralla

I've allowed them back in because I'm so skinny, and I feel so much better. Like, I feel like I needed to do that. I also eat things cooked in butter.

I still have about 1-2 cheat meals a week, but they aren't super bad or anything. I'm not as strict as I was at first, but I'm still pretty strict, I guess. Although budget and time have led me to eating FAR too many eggs and bacon meals. I really need to change that.

Also, I pretty much can't poop properly, guys. Been trying to eat things with fiber that aren't grains, and I'm failing miserably. I seriously don't know what to do. Also, I keep having random SEVERE stomach cramps where I've been doubled over in pain. Comes really fast, lasts 1-2 hours, then leaves just as fast. First time it happened I went to urgent care with basically no diagnosis because pain was gone by the time the doctor saw me. Could this be from introducing rice and potatoes back? Any help would be appreciated.

Can you describe the pain more? Is it more in your upper stomach, sternum area? I had the same problem, ended up having to get my gallbladder taken out after SERIOUS attacks I was having.

Pyrokai

Can you describe the pain more? Is it more in your upper stomach, sternum area? I had the same problem, ended up having to get my gallbladder taken out after SERIOUS attacks I was having.

Sure. It's like sharp pains or "cramping" that I've never really felt before. It also feels like something really sharp is moving through my intestines, almost. I occasionally have gas and stuff too. I'm starting to think it might be constipation? I'm using g the restroom but....man....it's tough to have a bowl movement. And extremely unpleasant. I'm thinking these problems are related, maybe? The pain is mostly all in my lower abdomen.

Also, it's funny you mention that about the gal bladder. My mother just recently had to have hers removed. The doctors said it is caused by eating a lot of greasy foods, and her last "attack" happened after a big burger. My first episode of these cramps happened after a Paleo Chipotle meal with a lot of fats.

Could the fat be causing this? Also, my stool is very floaty, making me think my body just isn't using the fat.

I truly think I'm not eating correctly. I'm definitely doing something wrong.

CrankyJay

Banned
cross-posting from fitness thread....

Nice recipe if you allow some dairy in your Primal/Paleo diet

Chicken breast...score it with a knife
Tandoori Paste (can usually be bought in a jar)
Fat Free yogurt (which I prefer anyway because it's more acidic and tenderizes the chicken better, fat also burns more on the grill)

Follow instructions on tandoori jar to find the right ratio of paste to yogurt, mix, marinate chicken for 4 to 24 hours.

Grill.

Eat like a fucking king.

Has anyone ever made their own pasta with Paleo friendly flour?

I was listening to something earlier and they recommended to cut out all added salt as there is enough salt in the food we eat anyway. However, if one is 'Paleo' then one won't be eating the sort of processed foods that contain all that added salt, yes?

So what say you Paleo GAF? Should I still add salt into my diet or does 'Paleo' food have salt in it anyway and I'm just not aware of it so I don't need to add any in?

I'm dealing with SIBO too. I felt bad for about 2 weeks. I had terrible stomach cramps in the beginning. Look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Its very similar to Paleo. I've been on the Paleo/Specific Carbohydrate Diet for about 8 weeks and I'm now starting to see some improvement. You may find that you are now sensitive to foods that you weren't sensitive to before you started the diet. Dairy, eggs, nuts, and foods high in natural sugar. I've had to eliminate all four in order to start feeling better. Probiotics help a lot. Look for one that doesn't contain a strain starting with bifid. I found out the hard way that the bifid strains tend to overgrow themselves. Giprohealth.com has alot of supplements approved for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I just started taking their acidophilus probiotic last week. The diet will kill off the bad bacteria, but you got to replace them with good bacteria to start feeling better.

I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with it too. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll definitely look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I have a follow up appointment with my dietitian next week, so I'll bring these issues up with her.

So you completely eliminated fruit from your diet? I'm a little worried about having to eliminate even more, since I'm having a hard time adjusting to already eating such a limited diet compared to what I used to eat. But if it'll make me feel better, I'm all for it.

Did anyone prescribe you antibiotics? I did the hydrogen breath test for SIBO (that was a terrible, terrible test) and if it comes back positive, my dietitian said she'd start me on a round of antibiotics to help kill the bacteria.

SeanR1221

Lately I feel like I've been eating "big" but all paleo. Breakfast is three egg, two egg white omlette mixed with a cup of shrimp and a cup of spinach.

I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with it too. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll definitely look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I have a follow up appointment with my dietitian next week, so I'll bring these issues up with her.

So you completely eliminated fruit from your diet? I'm a little worried about having to eliminate even more, since I'm having a hard time adjusting to already eating such a limited diet compared to what I used to eat. But if it'll make me feel better, I'm all for it.

Did anyone prescribe you antibiotics? I did the hydrogen breath test for SIBO (that was a terrible, terrible test) and if it comes back positive, my dietitian said she'd start me on a round of antibiotics to help kill the bacteria.

I've eliminated fruit for now. I'm pretty much down to meats and all types of vegetables. I suspect that i've had SIBO for some time now and my digestive system is in pretty bad shape. I figured it would be best to keep my diet simple with food that I can handle so that my body can heal. Eventually I can add fruit, raw honey, and dark chocolate down the road. The only food that I am really bummed out about is eggs. They are cheap and so versatile.

My docs never proscribed probiotics. I went through all types of other tests that all came back negative. I tried about 4 different probiotics which all contained a bifid strain. My SIBO was out of control last summer and I couldn't figure out why. It wasn't until recently that I found out that bidid strains make SIBO worse.

I took peppermint oil supplements last year which helped, but cutting out sugar,starches, grains, etc..have helped the most so far.

dralla

Well, I just went a little crazy. Last day at Whole Foods, team member appreciation day so we get 40 percent off.

My receipts lol

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Just a very small taste of what I got..

IMG_20130424_113938.jpg

I've been dying to try Cashew butter [without added oils] and Pecan butter forever, they're so damn expensive though, so I figured no better time than now. And I've never had tahini before, very curious to see what it's like. Picked up some wild caught sword fish, which I've never had. And tons of nuts, frozen veggies, dark chocolate, bacon, meat, ect. It was a good way to go out :D

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, I just went a little crazy. Last day at Whole Foods, team member appreciation day so we get 40 percent off.

My receipts lol

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Just a very small taste of what I got..

IMG_20130424_113938.jpg

I've been dying to try Cashew butter [without added oils] and Pecan butter forever, they're so damn expensive though, so I figured no better time than now. And I've never had tahini before, very curious to see what it's like. Picked up some wild caught sword fish, which I've never had. And tons of nuts, frozen veggies, dark chocolate, bacon, meat, ect. It was a good way to go out :D

I just got my 2nd jar of that Ghee. It's great stuff.

dralla

I wish I got more Ghee actually, shit is expensive. The coconut oil was on sale, and I got the 40% in addition to that, it was half off basically, or probably more, could get more of that too.

Ghee is for cooking anything at high heat when you want a butter-y taste. I use it mostly for meat. Last night I did sausage and peppers in ghee, fucking delicious! Stir-frying veggies is really good too. I love coconut oil, but I don't want coconut flavored meat. I do have refined coconut oil for a non-coconuty taste, but the ghee! The ghee is just too damn tasty, I love it. Eggs in ghee. Bacon. Lobster and ghee is pretty common. Basically, ghee is awesome, get it.

Dash27

I should try ghee sometime. I never have yet. I did stock up on coconut oil though, love that stuff.

I tried paleo brownies today, terrible lol. I had a banana nut muffin though and that was pretty good. Still though, stuff like that I feel like it's kinda like why bother, go for the real thing made with butter, sugar, flour etc from scratch and it's just as good. As long as I avoid the commercial super sugar, preservative and whatever else filled crap.

dralla

I can make some pretty awesome paleo cookies/brownies, it takes some time getting used to the ingredients. My first few attempts were terrible too.

So tahini is...not very good! The taste isn't terrible but holy shit is it strong. I guess if you love seseame seeds you'd be in heaven. I'm gonna try messing around with it and see what I can do. I love the nutrition on it, tons of vitamins and minerals, and since I've had to cut back on cheese I could use a good source of calcium

I've eliminated fruit for now. I'm pretty much down to meats and all types of vegetables. I suspect that i've had SIBO for some time now and my digestive system is in pretty bad shape. I figured it would be best to keep my diet simple with food that I can handle so that my body can heal. Eventually I can add fruit, raw honey, and dark chocolate down the road. The only food that I am really bummed out about is eggs. They are cheap and so versatile.

My docs never proscribed probiotics. I went through all types of other tests that all came back negative. I tried about 4 different probiotics which all contained a bifid strain. My SIBO was out of control last summer and I couldn't figure out why. It wasn't until recently that I found out that bidid strains make SIBO worse.

I took peppermint oil supplements last year which helped, but cutting out sugar,starches, grains, etc..have helped the most so far.

Interesting, I'll have to look into those supplements. Just found out today my hydrogen breath test came back positive so I'm starting a round of antibiotics and I need to keep eating paleo. I'm glad to hear that cutting all that stuff out has helped the most. Hopefully it'll help me too.

Dralla - Do you have any cookie/brownie recipes you can share? Also, have you tried making a tahini dressing? I've got some tahini lying around but haven't tried to do anything with it yet - I tasted it and it was way bitter.

Pyrokai

Lately I've been making paleo banana pancakes. It's so ridiculously easy and delicious. One banana mashed up mixed with two eggs. Cook like a pancake in a pan. I use coconut oil but tomorrow I might try ghee. Top it with butter and cinnamon and it's just fucking great.

I've been storing ghee in the fridge. Do you guys chill it too?

Also, tuna-avocado salad. Bees knees.

Rookje

Lately I've been making paleo banana pancakes. It's so ridiculously easy and delicious. One banana mashed up mixed with two eggs. Cook like a pancake in a pan. I use coconut oil but tomorrow I might try ghee. Top it with butter and cinnamon and it's just fucking great.

I've been storing ghee in the fridge. Do you guys chill it too?

Also, tuna-avocado salad. Bees knees.

Yea, check this recipe out:

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/breakfast/perfect-paleo-pancakes/

Paleo progress/story time!

So i've been following this diet for about a 3-4 weeks now (almost a complete month). I did not eat / drink any soda/juice, dairy products (eggs, cheese, milk etc.), fastfood, patatoes/starch, bread, sweets, chocolates the entire month. Everything I ate, I stirred up myself.

My skin has cleared up, I feel alot less bloated, slimmer around my waist, more energetic and in general my condition feels more improved and healthy. My mood has become more positive too. I'm more concentrated and feel more relaxed than I did before.

My inventory has consisted of:

Meat: salmon, pork, ground beef, bacon, chicken

Vegetables: celery, onions, spring onions, garlic, chili, leek, peppers (green/yellow/red), cucumbers, squash, eggplants, brocolli, tomatoes, mushrooms, radishes, carrots, gingerroots (I may have missed something here)

Oils: coconut oil (occasionally)

seasoning: curry, chili, pepper, oregano, tamian, basilicum,

Fruits: pineapples, apples, strawberries (occasionally once a week as a desert), kiwis, oranges and grapes

The only processed products I have are coffee and oatmeal (and perhaps tea). My main resource of liquid has been water or water from a pot/pitcher, dipped with a couple of slices of lemon. I have been restraining myself from salt and sugar the entire month.

Last thursday I tried to drink a pint of beer (for the first time in 3 weeks) and struggled to even finish it. My digestive system couldn't handle it. I guess I take it as a positive sign that my body has adapted itself to my diet.

Overall Im excited to begin working out next month!

I have discovered kale. So good.

Kale is awesome but everytime I buy it there's aiphid's in them about 2 or so days later lol

Also a question: How does Paleo diet consider soups? Soup is generally healthy in most cultures, and I think it has to do with that most soups are based off of getting the marrow out of chicken/pork/beef bones.

Dre

Kale is awesome but everytime I buy it there's aiphid's in them about 2 or so days later lol

Also a question: How does Paleo diet consider soups? Soup is generally healthy in most cultures, and I think it has to do with that most soups are based off of getting the marrow out of chicken/pork/beef bones.

Homemade bone broth or stock is highly recommended because they're full of minerals. Other soups are fine as well, you'll find a lot of Paleo friendly soup recipes if you look for them.

Pyrokai

Whoa. Very nice. Will try, thanks!

Do you guys think that having one day a week where you eat whatever you want is okay to do? I've been eating whatever (within reason) on Sundays as a sort of break from Paleo, and I was wondering if this might inhibit use of fat as fuel.

I ask because my stool is still very floaty/fatty, and just not that pleasant. I might be wrong here, but this MIGHT mean that my body isn't using all the fat I'm giving it.....is this the case or is stool SUPPOSED to be floaty? Just trying to figure this problem out

Dre

Whoa. Very nice. Will try, thanks!

Do you guys think that having one day a week where you eat whatever you want is okay to do? I've been eating whatever (within reason) on Sundays as a sort of break from Paleo, and I was wondering if this might inhibit use of fat as fuel.

I ask because my stool is still very floaty/fatty, and just not that pleasant. I might be wrong here, but this MIGHT mean that my body isn't using all the fat I'm giving it.....is this the case or is stool SUPPOSED to be floaty? Just trying to figure this problem out

You probably have some kind of imbalance in your fiber intake. Try tracking the amount of fiber you eat each day to get a better picture and if you see a connection. Aim for about the same amount of fiber each day, too much fluctuation should be avoided as it disrupts the bacterial processes in your digestive tract.

Congratulations on your progress and all of that, but eggs are not a dairy product.

No real reason to exclude them unless you are allergic.

Oh, thanks I'll note that on my next grocery list shopping. I guess I slipped there with the misplaced dairy category. :p

Not sure if I want to add them though, but its good to have more options.

despire

Could someone tell me whats the problem with canola oil? I know vegetable oils are supposed to be the devil but whats the exact issue with canola oil? AFAIK it has a lot of n-3 in addition to the n-6?

Dre

Could someone tell me whats the problem with canola oil? I know vegetable oils are supposed to be the devil but whats the exact issue with canola oil? AFAIK it has a lot of n-3 in addition to the n-6?

It's because it is a highly refined product. It's washed with solvents and caustic soda, goes through a chemical extraction process and even bleached in the final steps.

Besides, PUFAs like omega-3 aren't really that stable and canola oil is heated several times during its production process and that's not doing those PUFAs any good.

Look at how it's made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omjWmLG0EAs

Top Bottom