• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

I am serious about my dark chocolate

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

nomnomnom

Also found this one..

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

it's most similar to the Green and Black 85 bar. it's good.

edit. oh shit, forgot to mention. some guy came in today and he was asking me about certain foods because he was on the paleo diet! we showed each other our before/afters, was awesome to see someone else out there eating like this.

I tried Lindt 90% last night and had a weird reaction. After about 2 hours I felt dizzy and my extremities felt numb, as if I was drunk. I tried to drive and I could barely feel that I was pushing down on the gas pedal. My heart rate increased as well. Probably shouldn't have eaten 3/4 of the bar. Probably gonna have to dial it down to a 80% bar the next time I need a chocolate fix.

So I'm on a pretty strict LCHF-diet atm, but I've been on it for a year, and it's starting to wear on me.

What I've been missing the most when on LCHF is rice, but fruits, goddamn I love fruits.

So, with my regular LCHF-diet where I eat a lot of meats that I cook, with Low-carb sauces made of mayonnaise and fat creme fraiche or just straight up fat bearnaise-sauce, with a side of salad with cucumber and some tomatoes, what would change when going for a paleo diet?

Right now it's a surreal concept that I could be eating pineapple or apples for breakfast, and eat nuts for snacks.

So what's the rundown, how would my diet change if I went for paleo?

IceCold

So I'm on a pretty strict LCHF-diet atm, but I've been on it for a year, and it's starting to wear on me.

What I've been missing the most when on LCHF is rice, but fruits, goddamn I love fruits.

So, with my regular LCHF-diet where I eat a lot of meats that I cook, with Low-carb sauces made of mayonnaise and fat creme fraiche or just straight up fat bearnaise-sauce, with a side of salad with cucumber and some tomatoes, what would change when going for a paleo diet?

Right now it's a surreal concept that I could be eating pineapple or apples for breakfast, and eat nuts for snacks.

Enjoy your fruits dude and keep your carbs at 30g-150g a day. Getting your carbs from fruits is infinity better that from refined carbs (which is the real problem) since fruits contain more nutrient and fibers which help reduce the rate at which your blood sugar raises when you eat them. This is why fruits tend to have much lower glycemic indexes that bread. People like to say that a carb equals a carbs but that isn't true since you don't eat carbs in isolation unless you eat straight up flour.

But it's not good to keep your carbs too low either. I've read in places online that the brain needs a minimum of 30g a day. The rest of its energy it can get from ketones.

Enjoy your fruits dude and keep your carbs at 30g-150g a day. Getting your carbs from fruits is infinity better that from refined carbs (which is the real problem) since fruits contain more nutrient and fibers which help reduce the rate at which your blood sugar raises when you eat them. This is why fruits tend to have much lower glycemic indexes that bread. People like to say that a carb equals a carbs but that isn't true since you don't eat carbs in isolation unless you eat straight up flour.

But it's not good to keep your carbs too low either. I've read in places online that the brain needs a minimum of 30g a day. The rest of its energy it can get from ketones.

Nowadays I only eat twice a day, with any bulk of carbs coming from sallads, marinades or spices, so I wouldn't be surprised if I barely go over 20 grams a day. :/

Since I feel my body will on somedays just say no, maybe mixing in a couple of fruits and berries might not ruin my diet the way I've always thought it would.

For basically 9 months, I've done nothing but eat meat with high-fat bearnaise-sauce and a side of sallads or cauliflowers, so my body's is basically starting to say no, and probably will do a complete 180 if I don't mix things up more soon.

dralla

I tried Lindt 90% last night and had a weird reaction. After about 2 hours I felt dizzy and my extremities felt numb, as if I was drunk. I tried to drive and I could barely feel that I was pushing down on the gas pedal. My heart rate increased as well. Probably shouldn't have eaten 3/4 of the bar. Probably gonna have to dial it down to a 80% bar the next time I need a chocolate fix.

probably too much caffeine, it's not that uncommon actually. Either eat lower cacao bars or eat it in smaller amounts.

and speaking of DC, I tried a bunch of new bars.

this one, a little sweeter than I usually go for..amazing! great way to ease yourself into DC if you wanna get into it

20130405_200728.jpg

c1d94c7a9ce011e2b7ea22000a1f9366_7.jpg

than these, the madagascar bar is kind of ass, and it's the most expensive too, $4.50 I believe. The others are great. I tried Lindt before but I got a bad bar, this this is my first proper one and it was awesome

dralla

It depends what your goals are and how your body reacts, but fruit and starches are considered paleo, so you'd be able to add them into your diet. And if you really like rice that much, check out Perfect Health Diet, it's a variation on paleo that allows for rice and other safe starches [as well as fruit], it sounds like it would be great for you.

Paleo is more about food quality than a macro breakdown. But I do think if you're trying to lose weight, you might wanna track your macros and adjust them according to your activity level. If you're heavily active, add sweet potatoes or bananas, things like that. Just gotta mess around with it and see how it goes.

bdouble

Maybe one of the execs is a Paleo-libertarian type, but knows that highlighting carbs as evil when you make off profits as a "bakery" would be hard to message?
No actually they worked with Tim Ferris on this slow carb menu. Last i heard on JRE it didnt take off. It was going to be a marketing push for 4 hour chef.

Piecake

Better article. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/study-points-to-new-culprit-in-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Yeah, scary one. Though i notice how many times the words "little studied" were used, i want to see someone prove directly that TMAO causes human CHD, and not base it off a mouse study, i thought that diet-studies using animals has been disproved now as they are utterly unreliable. Also how many of the people were overweight, sedentary, smokers?
From what i see TMAO is a protein stabiliser that vertebrates use to control intracellular pressure, urea concentration, and protein bonds. Who's to say what other effects would result from knocking out this well-evolved mechanism with anti-biotics?
As this excellent post from Fryhole illustrates, studies appear that prove and contradict theories all the time, and diet research is incredibly inaccurate, often relying on someone seeing a pattern in the noise.

Also has to be balanced with the realisation that those on Paleo are on a quite abnormal diet, compared to the rest of the population, and because of it usually have normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels too, and little or no systemic inflammation due to insulin spikes.

We're not on Atkins, i'd say i eat the same amount of meat as most people, just more veggies, and no grains/sugar. If increased meat consumption instantly caused heart disease, there would have been a massive spike in CVD in the few years that Atkins was the main fad.
Certainly a valuable new area of research, if true. Also confirms my belief that those energy drinks are shit you should stay well away from.
I will probably swap one of my weekly steaks for some fish now though, couldn't hurt.

Yea, I dont think I eat any more meat than before. I do eat a lot more veggies.

Well, my egg intake has increased about 10 fold, so theres that

LukeTim

Why do you have to call it something else? Making it sound like you're taking dietary advice from prehistoric men with no understanding of dietetics... which seems foolish.

This all just sounds like a reasonably sensible diet, to me.

Unfortunately, I can't really try it. I have a metabolic disease which restricts my diet considerably... pretty much if I didn't eat any carbohydrates my diet would literally be fruits and vegetables and pretty much nothing else.

bigsnack

Tom Naughton and Zoe Harcombe both do pretty good jobs of tearing "studies" like these to shreds.

Oftentimes, the group observed that had the higher risk of CHD was older, had a higher incidence of smokers or drinkers, etc. Until I see a controlled study I'm going to eat red meat and love every second of it.

Our overall consumption of red meat has been on the gradual decline for 35 years, has the incidence of CHD also been on the decline? Tom and Zoe are both better and more thorough with the study analysis than me, so I would just say to read their blogs and check out the real numbers behind a lot of these studies.

FryHole

Hope it's not true... I eat red meat every single day. 0.5-1 lb of 100% grass fed beef.

I wouldn't worry. The link between red meat and overall mortality is non-existent. It's an interesting study showing a link between carnitine intake and TMAO. The TMAO -> heart disease link appears to be purely associative, just like saturated fat was (which is mentioned in this study, they seem to accept it's not the saturated fat after all, hence the search for new culprits).

You can find studies that'll freak you out about any food - here's one for fruit and veg.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12064344

The overall effect of the 10-week period without dietary fruits and vegetables was a decrease in oxidative damage to DNA, blood proteins, and plasma lipids

Bastard salads.

Evlar

Banned
Tom Naughton and Zoe Harcombe both do pretty good jobs of tearing "studies" like these to shreds.

Oftentimes, the group observed that had the higher risk of CHD was older, had a higher incidence of smokers or drinkers, etc. Until I see a controlled study I'm going to eat red meat and love every second of it.

Our overall consumption of red meat has been on the gradual decline for 35 years, has the incidence of CHD also been on the decline? Tom and Zoe are both better and more thorough with the study analysis than me, so I would just say to read their blogs and check out the real numbers behind a lot of these studies.
Yes, it has.

Cigarette smoking has been in rapid decline as well.

Purely coincidentally, I'm sure.

Also, interventions are getting more effective and saving people's lives. They may still have CHD, they're just not necessarily dying from it.

A recent analysis determined that "∼47% of the decline in CHD mortality from 1980 to 2000 could be ascribed to treatments and 44% to changes in risk factors."

Dre

Why do you have to call it something else? Making it sound like you're taking dietary advice from prehistoric men with no understanding of dietetics... which seems foolish.

This all just sounds like a reasonably sensible diet, to me.

Unfortunately, I can't really try it. I have a metabolic disease which restricts my diet considerably... pretty much if I didn't eat any carbohydrates my diet would literally be fruits and vegetables and pretty much nothing else.

Think of it as a romantic narrative.
People like that stuff, it helps to convey the message and to sell the books of course.
It also makes the whole science behind it less tedious and more accessible for some.

bigsnack

That's a really nice way of putting it.

In real life I would never use the word Paleo when explaining to someone my diet, unless they were interested and receptive, instead I just say I'm gluten free/celiac.
Its just easier, and more or less the same thing.

+1 on this point. I think it's far easier to say that I am gluten/wheat/refined carb free. I've always shied away from the word "Paleo" at all costs, to avoid the risk of someone blowing me off as a "fad diet follower". Not that I believe that it's a fad, but that does seem to be a general perception out there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Petite sirloins are enough to fill me up and they are about 4-4.50 a piece. Not too bad!

The red meat thing does scare me.

Christ, everything is so contradictory. Perhaps there is no true way to eat :(

There's so much contradictory information because most studies involving food and how it affects the human body are not controlled and often involve participants that already have a ton of problems due to other factors. It doesn't help that bloggers and reporters like to take the "results" of these studies and preach them as if they are facts so they can have a catchy headline telling what the newest killer in nutrition is. Then you have the problem that so many studies are funded by special interests with an agenda to push, making the whole thing just fucked, really.

So I started eating Paleo and for the most part, I'm feeling great. I lost some fat around my waist, sleep better, my skin is better and I have more energy. ButI now have fatty floating stools. Anybody else experienced this? Is it my body adjusting to the consumption of more fat?

bigsnack

So I started eating Paleo and for the most part, I'm feeling great. I lost some fat around my waist, sleep better, my skin is better and I have more energy. ButI now have fatty floating stools. Anybody else experienced this? Is it my body adjusting to the consumption of more fat?

How long has it been since you made the change? My regularity and consistency improved immensely only 2 days after the switch, however I am gluten intolerant so I think my body was thanking me for ceasing the torture. My TP has been squeaky clean probably 90 out of the past 100 times, but I have heard that people have some stool issues at the beginning.

Pyrokai

Same exact problem, man. I don't really know what to do about it. Bathroom time is NOT pleasant.

Everdred

That sounds pricey. Where do you buy your meat?
I live near Minneapolis and there are a few whole foods stores here. The one I go to has 100% grass fed for 4.99 a lb when you buy it in bulk. I usually buy about 3 lbs and separate it, then put it in the freezer.

This spring I'm going to try and buy a cow from a local farmer to save even more money. I'm the only one that eats the beef, while my wife eats a lot of chicken.

I had the shits for about 5 days when I started. Now 7 months on the diet, I haven't had stomach cramps or the shits since the first week.

despire

So one of the main reasons I started paleo was that I have asthma and I hoped it would get better with paleo. I've now been eating strict paleo since mid-January with only two cheat weekends and no other non-paleo meals (that I'm aware of). Though I started eating butter few weeks ago and I consume quite a lot of it. Also recently started eating regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes.

But I'm a bit disappointed in that my asthma is pretty much the same as before. Anyone here who cured their asthma with paleo? I'd really like to know if there's something more I can do. I'm currently taking 350mg of magnesium and 100-150 ug (+4000U) of vitamin D daily.

Should I try to take nightshades (potato, tomatoes) of my diet? Should I stop eating butter again since I'm not sure if my asthma is a bit worse than it was month or so ago? Should I up Vit D to for example 35U per lbs which I've seen recommended?

Dre

Is anyone else besides me tracking one's minerals, vitamins and other nutrients?
Out of curiosity I've been recently using an online tracking tool and noticed that I mostly struggle to get the recommended amounts of potassium, B1 (thiamin) and zinc.

I'm not especially worried but I'd still like to know what kind of foods you all eat to get the aforementioned nutrients? And also how much of it?

Ryck

3.5 months and I have lost 40 pounds. Starting to get people asking me what I am doing here and there. I have been surprised by how many people have heard of Paleo. One strange thing I have noticed is that I haven't worked out in a week and a half and yet I have still been losing. Wonder what that is about.

dralla

Is anyone else besides me tracking one's minerals, vitamins and other nutrients?
Out of curiosity I've been recently using an online tracking tool and noticed that I mostly struggle to get the recommended amounts of potassium, B1 (thiamin) and zinc.

I'm not especially worried but I'd still like to know what kind of foods you all eat to get the aforementioned nutrients? And also how much of it?

Potassium is pretty easy for me. Bananas, avocados, dark chocolate, carrots, spinach, mushrooms, nuts, and so on.

Zinc should be relatively easy for Paleo, zinc is found in most animal-derived foods. You could try oysters though, if you want, tons of zinc.

Thiamin, pork/meat, fish, nuts/seeds, tahini.

3.5 months and I have lost 40 pounds. Starting to get people asking me what I am doing here and there. I have been surprised by how many people have heard of Paleo. One strange thing I have noticed is that I haven't worked out in a week and a half and yet I have still been losing. Wonder what that is about.

Weight loss is about your diet, exercise is really not needed to lose weight. Exercise is good for you though, so don't stop just because you're still losing weight without it

Im curious, Ive been reading some pages and noticed something about storing Bacon grease. Is this healthy?

Im currently trying on this paleo concept and have been buying everything as raw and unprocessed as possible.

I dont use any kinds of oil - mostly boil, steam or dry-fry it on a pan (using the natural oil from the meat/juice from vegetables) - but, is bacon grease actually usefull? And how do you store it? Is it really healthy?

I steam boil my bacon with added vegetables like peppers, onion and selleri with some seasoning.

I ate beef for the second time (first time on Monday) and man there's a lot of energy packed into it. Just some backstory; I was raised by vegetarian parents, I ate meat for the first time when I was about 24 or 25 (based on a hunch/instinct). So far I have eaten: chicken, tuna, salmon, sardine, lamb chops (AAA grass fed from New Zealand my fav), I was avoiding pork and beef since I heard bad things about them and since I was born into Hinduism (can't eat beef). But I am atheist now, so I said fuck it.

I feel very energetic atm, dunno if it's a placebo...I had an Afgan dish made of grounded beef :p So what do you guys think? Does beef provide you with the most energy? Or is all protein the same?

dralla

this was on sale so I picked it up, mother of god, paleo crack

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

They have all different ones too, Macadamia, Walnut, Pecan! Cashew..they're crazy expensive though. I think this was $7 on sale. The Mac one I believe is $18. They're tiny jars, only 8oz

IceCold

Im curious, Ive been reading some pages and noticed something about storing Bacon grease. Is this healthy?

Im currently trying on this paleo concept and have been buying everything as raw and unprocessed as possible.

I dont use any kinds of oil - mostly boil, steam or dry-fry it on a pan (using the natural oil from the meat/juice from vegetables) - but, is bacon grease actually usefull? And how do you store it? Is it really healthy?

I steam boil my bacon with added vegetables like peppers, onion and selleri with some seasoning.

I feel like you are not eating enough fat by eating like this.

thirty

Banned
this was on sale so I picked it up, mother of god, paleo crack

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

They have all different ones too, Macadamia, Walnut, Pecan! Cashew..they're crazy expensive though. I think this was $7 on sale. The Mac one I believe is $18. They're tiny jars, only 8oz
where?

I feel like you are not eating enough fat by eating like this.

I conciously try to avoid using oil in anything I cook, even though I have olive oil at my disposal.

From my understanding this whole concept is to eat like a "caveman" sort of speak. Which is why I've been avoiding processed oils.

The way I understand this was that basically the fat from the meat would be the source of the fat/oil necessary to keep my body running.

Also, Im currently not working out/exercising so Im trying to keep my diet as oil-free as possible (Although I plan to start working out next month).

Is this correct?

Can I perhaps add another source of necessary oil or fat from something like unprocessed nuts?

Dre

Potassium is pretty easy for me. Bananas, avocados, dark chocolate, carrots, spinach, mushrooms, nuts, and so on.

Zinc should be relatively easy for Paleo, zinc is found in most animal-derived foods. You could try oysters though, if you want, tons of zinc.

Thiamin, pork/meat, fish, nuts/seeds, tahini.

Thanks!
I've been cutting bananas out of my diet entirely in favor of berries, which are the only kind of fruit I eat (+ avocados of course), but this might be something that needs to change.
I haven't eaten mushrooms and spinach/chard (mostly due to the high amounts of oxalic acid I've been trying to avoid) for quite some time either. Same goes for nuts, I do eat them, but only very sparingly, because I've been playing with my omega 3 to 6 ratio and trying different approaches.

IceCold

I conciously try to avoid using oil in anything I cook, even though I have olive oil at my disposal.

From my understanding this whole concept is to eat like a "caveman" sort of speak. Which is why I've been avoiding processed oils.

The way I understand this was that basically the fat from the meat would be the source of the fat/oil necessary to keep my body running.

Also, Im currently not working out/exercising so Im trying to keep my diet as oil-free as possible (Although I plan to start working out next month).

Is this correct?

Can I perhaps add another source of necessary oil or fat from something like unprocessed nuts?

What I mean is that instead of boiling or steaming all your veggies you should be cooking them in coconut oil or something. Or douse them in butter/olive oil.

Simply eating meat with veggies (that have no fat added to them) won't give you enough fat. A steak (182g) for example contains 20g of fat whereas a table spoon of coconut oil contains 14g.

FryHole

Is this correct?

Something to bear in mind if you're really sticking to the "caveman" principle is to consider what parts of the carcass they might have favoured - organs and offal like brains and bone marrow are much higher in fat than muscle meat, and there's also some evidence the paleo hunters may have selectively hunted the fattest individuals or hunted at when the herds were at their greatest weights. So muscle meat that you buy in the shops - particularly with today's emphasis on trimming fat content prior to purchase - might be very different. It's hard to say with any certainty though. Personally I just mainline butter.

What I mean is that instead of boiling or steaming all your veggies you should be cooking them in coconut oil or something. Or douse them in butter/olive oil.

Simply eating meat with veggies (that have no fat added to them) won't give you enough fat. A steak (182g) for example contains 20g of fat whereas a table spoon of coconut oil contains 14g.

Something to bear in mind if you're really sticking to the "caveman" principle is to consider what parts of the carcass they might have favoured - organs and offal like brains and bone marrow are much higher in fat than muscle meat, and there's also some evidence the paleo hunters may have selectively hunted the fattest individuals or hunted at when the herds were at their greatest weights. So muscle meat that you buy in the shops - particularly with today's emphasis on trimming fat content prior to purchase - might be very different. It's hard to say with any certainty though. Personally I just mainline butter.

Thanks for the advice(s)! Coincedently I just bought coconut oil today. I didn't know this stuff was so dense. I poured hot water over it from the faucet before it gradually began dissolving.

Its also cheaper than regular oils in the supermarkets here. Bought it at a local arabic grocery store.

thirty

Banned
So my market had this new Farmer Johns brand breakfast sausage, chorizo flavored, on sale for $1. Looked at the ingredients and it contained no MSG or nitrates. Tried them, although they taste good they make me feel like shit. Moral of the story, if meat's price seems too good to be true, it is.

IceCold

Thanks for the advice(s)! Coincedently I just bought coconut oil today. I didn't know this stuff was so dense. I poured hot water over it from the faucet before it gradually began dissolving.

Its also cheaper than regular oils in the supermarkets here. Bought it at a local arabic grocery store.

Coconut oil will melt in your hands too. Its melting point is pretty low.

Also It's cheaper than regular oils? Where do you live? It's expensive here in Canada and only available in health conscious stores.

Had a cheat day with my g/f today, because she's been craving a burger for a few days now...so I went along with her and got one. Bread tasted pretty damn good for the first couple of bites, then both of us felt like shit afterwards. I have no idea how I did it before. I got a soda along with it and I think I may have taken about 6 sips. I got sweet potato fries along with the meal but I was grossed out that it was fried. Ketchup also tastes terrible!! How the hell did I used to enjoy this stuff? Both of us agreed that the next cheat day will be a long time from now, but that they are probably necessary as a reminder of why we chose to get on this diet. It is very motivating.

Top Bottom