• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

dralla

So, duck eggs. Basically thicker, more dense egg with a slightly different taste. They're good for sure, they are 1 dollar a piece, but I'll probably pick them up from time to time.

5568fcf496f811e285a622000a1f9e5b_7.jpg

dralla

Alcohol isn't as terrible as you'd think. Stick to clear liquor, wine, if you HAVE to drink beer, go gluten free. Basically, do the best you can.

Ryck

Yeah most of my research basically came up with wine, and tequila (100% agave variety) or Brandy/Cognac.

Seems like everything else has grains in it.

dbztrk

I cheated. I had a reeses peanut butter cup. I couldn't help it. I had these intense cravings for something sweet. Something a piece of fruit could not satisfy.

How are you guys coping with the sugar cravings (for those that have them)?

dralla

I cheated. I had a reeses peanut butter cup. I couldn't help it. I had these intense cravings for something sweet. Something a piece of fruit could not satisfy.

Here you go, not exactly Paleo but still relatively healthy.
http://www.questproteinbar.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=56&idcategory=11

I gorge on frozen berries if I need something sweet. or extra dark chocolate [maybe not sweet to most people]

Pyrokai

This shows the insulin response to 50g carbohydrate from different sources (breads & pasta). Time 0 is just before the meal. It takes about 3 hours to return to fasting insulin levels. No need to worry about the odd doughnut.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/2/254/F3.expansion.html

Wow, thanks! Very interesting. I couldn't find anything like this.

Just google it...

Sorry, dude. I want you guys to tell me if I'm stinking up this thread. I know I ask for a lot of advice and I'm sorry. Just trying to learn and I do best by asking questions, I guess. I'm not trying to be lazy. I look up quadruple the amount I ask in this thread. Finding direct answers to science-based questions is difficult for me.

I just feel like everyone accelerates at this way better than I do. I keep cheating here and there (like one sweet every other day or sometimes once per day) and I'm not even sure if I'm getting enough fats. Not to mention that a lot of paleo food grosses me out. Tilapia and Salmon are about the only seafood I can enjoy. I mean, I told someone about this diet two weeks after I started. They fell in love with it, and after I explained it to him, he's now deeper into it than I've ever been and now I'm ASKING him questions something *I* taught him.

I'm trying though.

I solemnly swear I will never have a post like this again, lol.

Here you go, not exactly Paleo but still relatively healthy.
http://www.questproteinbar.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=56&idcategory=11

I gorge on frozen berries if I need something sweet. or extra dark chocolate [maybe not sweet to most people]

Dbztrk, don't worry, man. I can't get over the cravings at alllll. Hence my donut this morning.

Oh, and dark chocolate is so hard to find without soy or wheat in it. I do 85% chocolate with a brand that doesn't have it in the ingredients, but there is STILL traces of soy and wheat in it as noted by a warning. Maybe it's just not possible?

TruskyMX

Since we are on the topic and I couldn't see any references to this on any of the pages... Nerdfitness http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/ is a ripper of a site.

Lots of interesting stuff and the bloke, Steve, focuses on the Paleo diet. Enjoy, that my tip of the day.

In no was is the implication made that we are all nerds.... I think its a very clever play on words.

FryHole

Wow, thanks! Very interesting. I couldn't find anything like this.

No worries - the key word to use when searching for info on this is "postprandial" - means "after a meal", so researchers measure postprandial insulin, glucose, lipids and more to see what effect a meal has on the body.

dbztrk

So, duck eggs. Basically thicker, more dense egg with a slightly different taste. They're good for sure, they are 1 dollar a piece, but I'll probably pick them up from time to time.

Can you describe this "slightly different taste." I would interested in trying duck eggs.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sorry, dude. I want you guys to tell me if I'm stinking up this thread. I know I ask for a lot of advice and I'm sorry. Just trying to learn and I do best by asking questions, I guess. I'm not trying to be lazy. I look up quadruple the amount I ask in this thread. Finding direct answers to science-based questions is difficult for me.

I just feel like everyone accelerates at this way better than I do. I keep cheating here and there (like one sweet every other day or sometimes once per day) and I'm not even sure if I'm getting enough fats. Not to mention that a lot of paleo food grosses me out. Tilapia and Salmon are about the only seafood I can enjoy. I mean, I told someone about this diet two weeks after I started. They fell in love with it, and after I explained it to him, he's now deeper into it than I've ever been and now I'm ASKING him questions something *I* taught him.

I'm trying though.

I solemnly swear I will never have a post like this again, lol.

Man, nothing could be further from the truth. A lot of this is trial and error for a lot of folks, but the number one thing that is important is finding out what works for you and then being as consistent as possible about it. I think you're getting caught up in trying to understand why it works...the fact of the matter is we still don't know, because it doesn't work for everyone and if you do google it like I suggested, you'll see a thousand different opinions on what does work.

I'd rather you google it and see all those opinions and judge for yourself rather than take the word of one or two GAFers whose personal experience and body composition is different than yours.

Iph

Banned

Distract myself with something not food related. Not keeping sweets in the house at all. Having small, healthy snacks frequently. Dates. Willpower. It's not easy. I've been slowly getting better by caving to sweets a few times a week now instead of once or twice a day when I get bad.

Thing is, once you basically kick the sugar for a while, your tastebuds adjust and what normally tasted great (and sweet) tastes way too sweet instead. At least for me. I can't even ask for 1 sugar in a tea because white sugar is so strong tasting to me I can't stand it. Try staying away from starchy/refined carbs and various other food sugars (corn, grains, wheat, breads, carrots, white potatoes, dairy, etc). Cutting these out of your diet will help your body get away from craving sugar/carbs.

Pyrokai

Man, nothing could be further from the truth. A lot of this is trial and error for a lot of folks, but the number one thing that is important is finding out what works for you and then being as consistent as possible about it. I think you're getting caught up in trying to understand why it works...the fact of the matter is we still don't know, because it doesn't work for everyone and if you do google it like I suggested, you'll see a thousand different opinions on what does work.

I'd rather you google it and see all those opinions and judge for yourself rather than take the word of one or two GAFers whose personal experience and body composition is different than yours.

I've definitely been having some success. I've lost a lot of body fat while staying satiated. I think this diet works for me, it's just that I need to try to find ways to make it more enjoyable. Last night I made coconut flour bread using farm fresh eggs. It turned out to be AMAZING. Almond butter and banana on the bread was delicious. I had some as a snack last night and for breakfast this morning, too. It was a welcome and needed change from my usual fried eggs.

I'm still semi-unsure if I have increased energy or not. I think I do, but it's hard to say because I haven't put together a fitness regime or started that yet, so it could just be from having a slow metabolism in general right now. But having a slow metabolism and losing so much fat just by the way I eat tells me that it is working. I just don't need to eat more than about 1600 calories worth in a day. Give or take.

Dre

Distract myself with something not food related. Not keeping sweets in the house at all. Having small, healthy snacks frequently. Dates. Willpower. It's not easy. I've been slowly getting better by caving to sweets a few times a week now instead of once or twice a day when I get bad.

Thing is, once you basically kick the sugar for a while, your tastebuds adjust and what normally tasted great (and sweet) tastes way too sweet instead. At least for me. I can't even ask for 1 sugar in a tea because white sugar is so strong tasting to me I can't stand it. Try staying away from starchy/refined carbs and various other food sugars (corn, grains, wheat, breads, carrots, white potatoes, dairy, etc). Cutting these out of your diet will help your body get away from craving sugar/carbs.

This works best for me too. At home I have no sugary stuff at all (except for a 90% or above chocolate bar every once in a while) and I basically never have to deal with sugar cravings.
Since it's Easter and thus time to visit various family members I noticed that my cravings magically reappeared because they all have tons of chocolate eggs and bunnies lying around and just having them around me gives me bad ideas.
I can't wait to get back home, haha.

dralla

Can you describe this "slightly different taste." I would interested in trying duck eggs.

Not really lol, it's hard to describe taste. I had the remitting 2 this morning, this time, over easy. I guess I would say it's more of a mild, custard-y? taste. If you like regular eggs, you'll like these, and vice versa

Lanbeast

Going paleo seems to have altered my constitution in some way, in regards to alcohol.
Booze has far more effect on me now. Dunno if this is because of improved gut absorption or liver function, but its certainly a big change for a lifelong british boozer like myself to get used to in such a small timeframe.

Had 5 pints the other night and was staggering around like a drunkard for hours before passing out and then had to spend the next day in bed. Few pints is my limit now, what a fucking lightweight.

I've had the same experience while sticking to a low carb diet consistently. It only took about a glass and a half of wine to get me all loopy when I generally drink 3-4 times that when trying to get drunk.

Pyrokai

I've also experienced the alcohol problem. I can barely handle more than one drink now (granted, I just drink liquor on the rocks now, but it definitely puts me way over now).

The worst part is that one drink gives me a killer headache the next day no matter how much I eat or drink prior to bed.

Sullen

Well, it has been 2 and a half months since I've started eating paleo, and I am pleased with how it has been going. I feel way better, and actually feel borderline sick now if I eat something bad. I'm pretty strict with it, so I don't really follow the 80/20 guideline a lot of people do, probably more like 95/5.

So far in that time I've lost 27 pounds and 8% bodyfat. Still trying to get into the single digits for bodyfat, and I am pretty close finally. I've also built a lot of muscle by working out 2 to 3 times a week during this period.

All in all I feel great and I've actually gotten a lot of people in my life to start eating better the last few months cause everyone has been asking me what I've been doing to lose weight like I have. It has been awesome!

dralla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iv6fqjubBbk

wanna try making a paleo version of these scotch eggs. gonna replace flour with almond flour and panko bread crumbs with pork rinds. might also use mexican chorizo instead of sausage.

replace four with almond meal, replace bread crumbs with ground up pork rinds = success!

Paleo oatmeal for lunch today

IMG_20130329_160043..jpg

1 Banana, 2-3 scoops of fresh almond butter, coconut milk, cinnamon, all mixed/mashed together, microwave for 1 minute. Really, really good.

Dash27

Well, it has been 2 and a half months since I've started eating paleo, and I am pleased with how it has been going. I feel way better, and actually feel borderline sick now if I eat something bad. I'm pretty strict with it, so I don't really follow the 80/20 guideline a lot of people do, probably more like 95/5.

So far in that time I've lost 27 pounds and 8% bodyfat. Still trying to get into the single digits for bodyfat, and I am pretty close finally. I've also built a lot of muscle by working out 2 to 3 times a week during this period.

All in all I feel great and I've actually gotten a lot of people in my life to start eating better the last few months cause everyone has been asking me what I've been doing to lose weight like I have. It has been awesome!

Wow 27 pounds and 8% bodyfat, very impressive. Glad to read you are feeling good on it and others are following your lead.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Alcohol is limiting my weight loss, I think, but I just love it toooooo much.

Anyways, how do you know when you're ketoadapted? I went about a week and a half in a ketogenic diet (with some short overnight respites due to alcohol consumption, not carbs) and began to feel "normal" by the end of it, but still the thought of lifting heavy weights seemed awful.

FryHole

An interesting read, worth keeping to hand when discussing the logic of gluten grain avoidance even if you are non-celiac.

http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7982

It has been estimated that, for every person with coeliac disease, there should be at least six or seven people with non-coeliac gluten sensitivity. Gluten sensitivity may therefore affect 6-10% of the general population. This means approximately 4-7 million people in the United Kingdom have this condition, and the vast majority are unaware of their sensitivity to gluten

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Do you guys like, save bacon grease or something to cook with? My roommate has been saving bacon grease for I have no clue what reason, maybe to cook with? It seems gross to me though, cause you'd get little bits of bacon in with it.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Congrats to everyone on the weight loss

I have a question regarding the frequency of weight liss. Is losing too much weight too fast good?? Someone posted 27 lbs in 2.5 months - is that healthy ?

SeanR1221

Do you guys like, save bacon grease or something to cook with? My roommate has been saving bacon grease for I have no clue what reason, maybe to cook with? It seems gross to me though, cause you'd get little bits of bacon in with it.

I just cook in it right after making bacon. You can save it though. Getting little pieces of bacon in it sounds like the best part.

thirty

Banned
Schattenjäger;52070946 said:
Congrats to everyone on the weight loss

I have a question regarding the frequency of weight liss. Is losing too much weight too fast good?? Someone posted 27 lbs in 2.5 months - is that healthy ?

i think 2 pounds a week is healthy. then again 27 pounds off a 400 pound dude is nothing in 2.5 months.

FryHole

I just cook in it right after making bacon. You can save it though. Getting little pieces of bacon in it sounds like the best part.

If you're mad keen you can filter it through some cheesecloth or whatever. Scrambled eggs with butter and bacon fat is heavenly.

Use it quick enough and the protein bits won't have a chance to go manky. If you're cooking so much bacon you can't use the fat from it within the week you're either doing it wrong or very, very right.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i think 2 pounds a week is healthy. then again 27 pounds off a 400 pound dude is nothing in 2.5 months.

Why would there be a specific amount of weight loss that is healthy or unhealthy provided that you are receiving the proper nutrients?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The best part for food poisoning???

Tons of southern cooks literally just pour bacon grease into old coffee cans and let it sit out in the open on the counter forever, unrefrigerated.

I refrigerate mine, but the point is, you don't really need to worry about food poisoning.

SeanR1221

Tons of southern cooks literally just pour bacon grease into old coffee cans and let it sit out in the open on the oven forever, non-refrigerated.

I refrigerate mine, but the point is, you don't really need to worry about food poisoning.

Yeah my dad used to do this all the time. He grew up on a farm.

GatorBait

Are there any benefits to using coconut flour over almond flour? Coconut flour seems more limited in its use since it seems to be a black hole for moisture.

dralla

Almond flour has a lot of omega-6 and calories. If you're trying to limit either then coconut flour would be better. I use coconut flour for my banana pancakes or paleo baking.

thirty

Banned
You guys asked for pics so here you go, paleo scotch eggs.

Was going to use pork sausage but most of what my market had contained MSG, which I have a reaction to, so I went with turkey taco meat. It was already seasoned but I still added some of my favorite spices to the meat.

I medium boiled eggs in water with a teaspoon of baking powder so the skin separates from the shell cleaner. I then hand covered/rolled them with the meat which was easier then I thought. Next, I rolled them in almond flour, dipped in egg wash, then covered with pork rind that I quickly chopped in a blender. They're baking now, will follow with finished pics later.

percephone

Neo Member
You guys asked for pics so here you go, paleo scotch eggs.

Was going to use pork sausage but most of what my market had contained MSG, which I have a reaction to, so I went with turkey taco meat. It was already seasoned but I still added some of my favorite spices to the meat.

I medium boiled eggs in water with a teaspoon of baking powder so the skin separates from the shell cleaner. I then hand covered/rolled them with the meat which was easier then I thought. Next, I rolled them in almond flour, dipped in egg wash, then covered with pork rind that I quickly chopped in a blender. They're baking now, will follow with finished pics later.

Neat. My mother used to do something similar with a ground beef , onions and rice mixture. She then cooked the meatballs in a chipotle sauce. I should find that recipe and adapt it to paleo.

I'm surprised a lot of you guys eat bacon. I thought it was well known that bacon is extremely unhealthy and it almost seems counterproductive to eat it with these healthier food options.

Top Bottom